PDA

View Full Version : 80 series front axle service questions

subzali
12-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Couple questions after the 80 series front axle service I helped my dad with yesterday and today:
-I saw what looked like 6 hot spots on the birfield, at the location where the balls ride. Is this factory heat treating or hot spots due to driving?
-The wheel bearings were Timken bearings. I expected to find Koyo or some other bearing in there. Has someone been in this axle before and changed out the bearings, or are those the factory bearings? I think I read beno saying somewhere that Timken were factory, but just wanted to check.

--I forgot how big of a job that is!

Uncle Ben
12-27-2011, 01:38 PM
The "hot spots" are normal and yes, they are the scars from heat treating. Finding Timken in there is a good thing!

wesintl
12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
newb :grinpimp:

treerootCO
12-27-2011, 02:24 PM
The wheel bearings will be loose if you torque them to spec. I think those specs are for new components and stock sized tires. How much do you need? more than it calls for in the FSM :D

subzali
12-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys!

Yep Wes, glad you guys warned me about the backwoods goop too, I was pretty well convinced that we should give it a try! :homer:

:grinpimp:

Uncle Ben
12-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Dang....gonna be another disabled truck if an Engineer is working on it! :lmao::lmao: :homer: :wrench::dunno:

Corbet
12-27-2011, 04:02 PM
did you use the felt wipers of the new lifetime units from Longfield? I've got the lifetimes personally and have been happy with them for the last 8 months. Not that your going back in for that simple change...;)

nakman
12-27-2011, 04:50 PM
newb :grinpimp:

Yeah dude, and you posted in a thread where that was answered too, so that's like double-newb. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1150

torque spec on wheel bearings is somewhere between clunking and getting hot- I err on the clunk side, it's a lot easier to jump in and give it half a smidge more in a week.

Jacket
12-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Did you rebuild the knuckle too, or just repack the bearings and birf, and replace the axle seal?

subzali
12-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Dang....gonna be another disabled truck if an Engineer is working on it! :lmao::lmao: :homer: :wrench::dunno:

Two engineers! :hill:

did you use the felt wipers of the new lifetime units from Longfield? I've got the lifetimes personally and have been happy with them for the last 8 months. Not that your going back in for that simple change...;)

Did not use any Longfield parts, didn't think of that. This 80 is on 285/75/16 and doesn't really see much offroad use, so I'm sure the OE setup will be just fine.

Yeah dude, and you posted in a thread where that was answered too, so that's like double-newb. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=1150

torque spec on wheel bearings is somewhere between clunking and getting hot- I err on the clunk side, it's a lot easier to jump in and give it half a smidge more in a week.

I thought this has probably been answered before, so yes, you got me :rolleyes:

Did you rebuild the knuckle too, or just repack the bearings and birf, and replace the axle seal?

We did the whole kit and kaboodle, wanted to give my dad the extended tour :hill: The knuckle bearings had a significant dead spot where they always wear in. Put Marlin seals in there and swapped birfs side to side while we were at it, but that's it. I don't think anybody had been in there before, at 160K miles.

wesintl
12-27-2011, 07:04 PM
nicely done. It's just the slow time of year round here... ;)

Uncle Ben
12-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Two engineers! :hill:

http://www.usace.army.mil/History/PublishingImages/Vignettes/098/KW_bridgeblow.jpg

Inukshuk
12-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Did you remove, clean and retorque the steering arm studs? (perhaps reinstalling with some locktite) Especially for passenger side?

subzali
12-27-2011, 08:23 PM
No, I had read that if some come out that that should be done, but since none came out I forgot about it. I told my dad to keep a close eye on them though, so I'll keep reminding him. If they're problematic they're easy enough to pull...