PDA

View Full Version : AxleIke

Crash
01-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Isaac, I hope you got the attention required and that you will be up and at'em quickly. No way to start a new year.

AxleIke
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Steve, Thank you very much.

I did FINALLY get what I needed, but I'll post up the details of the horrible experience at the ER later. Short version is: if you every need medical attention, avoid Denver Health.

The results are: I fractured my tibia, essentially directly on the bone that protrudes from the outside of your foot. The round one. They told me what it was called, but I was so hopped up on medication, I can't remember. It was a clean fracture, with no displacement, so I will not need a surgery, and, after some begging, they gave me a removable boot/cast thing, so that I can wash my leg and adjust things as needed.

I would like to say thank you to everyone who was on the run! I really appreciate you all bearing with me and dealing with the situation, and a HUGE thanks to Ben, for driving my truck off the trail with lots of care and as smooth a ride as can be hoped for.

I am doing well now that my leg is immobilized, I have pain medication, and aside from being pissed at the prospect of being on crutches for the next month and a half, everything is all good.

DaveInDenver
01-02-2012, 11:59 AM
Whoa, what happened Isaac?

AxleIke
01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Walking down towards Ken's 40, my right foot slipped out from under me, my left was wedged on a rock, and so my body fell across the leg, which twisted, and then made a nastly popping noise. Luckily, I broke a leg way back in middle school, and knew to keep my boot on and laced up tight, which REALLY helped the ride off the trail. I thought the pain was pretty bad riding down, but once they unlaced my boot and removed it, my ankle swelled up to a baseball size, and it started to get a lot worse.

Three Wheel Ben
01-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Glad to hear you got what you needed at the hospital. I think we all knew it was broken, but nobody wanted to talk about it. At least you don't need surgery or a permanent cast. Nice!

You're welcome, one great thing about this club is when in need everyone comes together. The driving was easy. Just glad I could keep your rockers intact, that's your job to smash them not mine. :D

Yesterday was a great run, minus the broken leg.

Thanks to everyone. And I wanna see some pics, especially UB's of the ice slough pre-sanding.

Kenon698
01-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Glad it wasn't worse. Bad fall. Hope it's not to hard for the next few weeks.

DaveInDenver
01-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Ouch. Well, good thing is that's why we wear sturdy boots with ankle protection, eh? Could have been a worse injury and a bigger problem dealing with extraction! Here's to the fast healing of youth, bud.

Rezarf
01-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Sorry bud! I hope you are on the mend and get up to 100% soon.

simps80
01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Isaac, sorry to hear about the injury, I hope you heal quickly and completely!

wesintl
01-02-2012, 04:12 PM
ouch.. and you drove home? Hope your doin better.

farnhamstj
01-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Bummer. Rest well Isaac. Take it easy longer than you think you should.

AxleIke
01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
ouch.. and you drove home? Hope your doin better.

No, I couldn't put even an ounce of pressure on it without extreme pain, let alone the stiff clutch in my 4runner. Ben drove me down.

AxleIke
01-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks all for the well wishes!

Uncle Ben
01-03-2012, 12:14 AM
How are you going to drive now? Swap vehicles with Nat?

RockRunner
01-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Man Isaac that is not what I wanted to hear. I heard you got hurt but was hoping for the best maybe just a sprain (I guess that could be worse actually) But then again no cutting so that is good. Next time call me I always have some anti pain stuff laying around, prescription too ;) Anyway take care of the leg and try to keep the spirits up :thumb:

powderpig
01-03-2012, 04:50 AM
Yes, take care Isaac. I am still on crutch/ crutches and will be for the next month. No fun, but better than the alternate. Ask you Ortho for the temp handicap placard. It will make life a bit easier when getting around.

good luck

rover67
01-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Holy cow man!!! Sounds like it was pretty painful :( I can't imagine.

PLEASE let me know if you need anything. I can help out with whatever...

Hopefully you heal quickly!

AxleIke
01-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks all for the well wishes!

UB, I still have the corolla, so I'm driving that. I got some friends to drive my truck back up here to Bailey, so its all good. Just needs to be washed.

The Saga continues.

First, the ER thing.

I got to the ER with the full expectation of waiting many hours to be seen. Its an ER, and thats just the way it is. We went to Denver Health (formerly Denver General) as that was the closest one on the list of "approved" providers.

My friends wheel me in through a wheel chair, where we all go through a metal detector, have to empty our pockets of everything, and they confiscate knives, lighters, guns, etc.... Luckily, I'd left my knife in the truck.

The waiting room is filled with lots of people, about half of whom are homeless, just looking for a place to stay warm, so they make up issues, and come chill in the waiting room while they wait to get processed and turned away. Normally, I'd say "good for them" they are just trying to stay warm. However, when they are the ones delaying your admittance, I admit, I became a lot less understanding.

Anyway, sitting in the waiting room, waiting for my wife, and suddenly the whole area begins to hear a very personal conversation going on between a patient and an admitting nurse. Everyone begins to look around, and we realize that the admitting nurse has some how left her phone on the line for the overhead loud speakers in the waiting room. We got to hear every detail of the issues a guy was having with his rectum.

I finally get in to see the admitting nurse, who, of course, removes my boot and sock. At first, everything looks just fine. Within 5 minutes, my ankle is the size of a baseball. The nurse says, "oh, I guess we should have put the boot back on sooner. I'm sorry". Meanwhile, the swelling is causing my foot to start throbbing.

After this, its a bit more waiting in the waiting room, I get taken back to get an xray and then spend an hour sitting there waiting for the results. The doctor comes in, clearly in a bad mood, and says, "its just a sprain, here is an air splint, go home and take some advil, you'll be fine."

So, at this point, I'm relieved that it seems to be okay, pissed at the doctor's attitude, and dead tired, not to mention starving. I crutch my way out to the cars in the parking garage, where I get a call: "Ah, sorry, but we had the actual radiologist look at your leg, and it is broken. You can come back at your convenience and we can see what we can do".

I told them that I wasn't coming back another time, so they could get me back in right then.

I get inside, and they tell me that its going to be many hours of waiting, until they can get an orthopedist in to see me. So, I send Natalie up to Bailey to feed my parents dogs, and deal with everything. I get put back in the ER, in a different area, and they start to hook me up.

Now, at the intake, and again with the doctors on the first intake, and again on the second (so that is 3 separate times) I told them that I have a Latex allergy. They put a bracelet on me that said "Latex Allergy". I was wearing this bracelet at the time I was brought back into the ER.

They hook me up to the machines, and within 5 minutes, my entire hand is bright red, with splotches and a burning/itching rash. I call to the nurse, who looks at it, and then looks me right in the eye, and says, not joking here, "Do you have a Latex allergy?"

I couldn't believe it. So I said "yes" and held up my wrist so he could inspect the bracelet that clearly said "latex allergy". "Sorry about that, let me get you a non-latex sensor," he said, "but keep that one on for just a bit, as we need to keep track of you."

10 minutes later, the rash is getting worse, so I yank the sensor off, which sets off alarms, and the nurse comes in and says, "Oh, sorry, I totally forgot about that other sensor. I'll be back". He returns in a few minutes with nothing, and finally says, "oh well, I guess we just won't monitor you.".

After about another half hour, the radiologist and orthopedist come in, order me another xray, check it out, and give me the news, followed by, "this is a clean, but very obvious break. I'm not sure how the other doctor missed it." I thought to myself, "well, maybe if that other doctor hadn't been such a witch with a b and cared about what she was doing for half a minute, I wouldn't have this issue".

So, I wait for a bit more, while they are getting discharge stuff ready, etc... While that is going on, the cops bring a guy out from another room who got seriously messed up on Cocaine at a new Years party, and had been in the ER for 23 hours. As he is being shuffled past my room, he starts to urinate, which results in him getting sent back to his hospital bed, so they can clean him up, dress him, and where they find more cocaine. Not sure where he had it hidden, but the dude only wearing a hosptial gown when I saw him. Yikes!

Anyway, I get discharged way sooner than expected, which would have been good, but my wife is still an hour or more out, and has now been 12 hours since I had anything to eat. I finally say "screw it", and crutch 3 blocks to a burger king, which is supposed to be open 24 hours. Well, the DRIVE THRU is open 24 hours, so again, I'm so hungry, tired, pissed and hurting, I crutch up to the window, bang on it, hand the guy my credit card and tell him I want a burger.

In the mean time, some cars pull up. The first of which is an civic filled to the brim with very drunk girls, who start yelling:

"Hey, just because you are homeless, doesn't mean you can just WALK through a DRIVE through!"

"Are we going to get our food in 2012? Are we going to get our food sometime?"

"Hello? they aren't going to feed you bum!"

Ordinarily, that would have irritated me, but I was so out of it, I just laughed to myself, got my burger, and crutched back to the hospital.

Fast forward to Yesterday, January SECOND, 2012. I have a busy day trying to organize things that got left in disarray, that I thought wouldn't be a big deal when I left to go wheeling. Now everything takes forever.

At about 7:30, my brother's dog Xoe shows up at the back door, and has a 6" long, 5" wide hole in her side. My first thought is that there is a lion or coyote out because foxes don't usually mess with stuff that is bigger than they are.

So, Natalie and I begin to get stuff ready to take Xoe to the emergency vet hospital. After a trip there and a nice tab, she has been sewn back up, and is doing okay.

The vet said she ran into something, as this was a puncture wound consistent with a sprinting dog hitting an unseen stick at the wrong angle.

Regardless, 2012 has gotten off to a very rough start.

Uncle Ben
01-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Damn! Quite the story! I bet others who rear the Denver Post would enjoy hearing that tale! The way you were treated I would definatly spread the word!

I soooo look forward to having a beer with you next year and laughing about this New Years....it will be funny then but now it's just unbelievable! :rant: I guess that's why we pay the big bucks so that we can be humiliated by our trusted caregivers. :rolleyes:

nattybumppo
01-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Wow! What an ordeal. The silver linings: it was a good clean break and will heal quickly, and that stock Runner of yours wheeled real nicely! I hope your NewYear goes only upward from here on.

Shark Bait
01-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Wow. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Isaac!

rover67
01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
:eek:

Man-o-man, that's just nuts...

nakman
01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Damn man, hope you heal quick! hang in there.

Hulk
01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow, what a story. The part about going through the BK drive-thru on crutches is pretty hilarious.

AxleIke
01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks all! Kevin, I look forward to that beer too! Actually, I'm working on a letter to the board at Denver Health now.

Thank you all for the well wishes. Things are hectic, but doing better.

And actually, after the dog got ripped open last night, and I wasn't sure if it was an animal at the time, I was getting the Rav 4 ready to take the dog to the emergency, on crutches with a .44 in my pocket, and I started to laugh at how absurd this whole thing is. What are the chances? LOL. Gotta laugh at it.

Jacket
01-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Damn. Sorry Isaac. That's quite a ****ty start to the new year.

powderpig
01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Hopefully you have seen a different Ortho after all of this. I would not trust such treatment to be good faith.

I was just reading this morning about how long bones take to heal. Well no wonder I am on crutches for so long. tibia are about the longest bone to heal besides the femur. any where from 10-24 weeks depending on the type of fracture. So Isaac my friend, be prepared for a good 10 weeks(easy) or more of taking care of your ankle. It sounds like you broke just above the medial mallious or a tubersioity, both will be a long time as this is a weight bearing area. Good luck with it all. And if you have not had a second opinion, I would get one soon.
Robbie

RockRunner
01-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Well Isaac look at it this way, it can only get better.

As for Denver Health,, don't even waste your time with a letter. Their ER is the best in CO with the best trauma unit in the country, one of the top three I should say. Had your leg been ripped of your body you would not want to go anywhere else.

It does suck how they treated you and the first doctor needs to be held accountable for his mistake as should the nurse. Problem is that in a turn and burn ER like theirs this is a minor mishap that is acceptable in their eyes. And the rude people there are overworked and underpaid for what they have to deal with. I know it is not an excuse but when you turn it around and look at what they deal with on a daily basis we would be cranky too.

Also just an FYI if you ever find yourself with a brain injury or spinal injury go to Swedish hospital! They too are a level one trauma unit but specialize in those areas.

And they BK story had me rolling, I could see it all like I was there, I bet that burger tasted damn good. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and much better year ahead.

DaveInDenver
01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
The Knife and Gun Club: Scenes from an Emergency Room
By Eugene Richards (http://books.google.com/books?id=QHoid2rLpEUC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Yup, Tom...

GSW or Table Saw Accidents = Denver Health
Major Head Trauma = Swedish
Stitches = Porter

Romer
01-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Isaac,
Hope things are getting better. I have learned after sitting at the Univ Hosp ER to not go to a public hospital. Go where the homleess and indingents are not and you get quicker service, nicer attitudes and real care. We went to skyridge after Univ of Colo Med Center and the difference in all aspects of care was amazing

Vet surgeries are expensive, our dog just had a big tumor removed Friday with 17 staples on the outside and it was over $1500 and still counting.

Hope the rest of your year improves

TIMZTOY
01-03-2012, 09:34 PM
since all the sh1t has happened so earily the rest of the year is all good then :D

that sucks dude.. even know they might not do anything about it.. the people in charge need to hear when this sh1t happens, even if it is a normal thing. because if there they are number 1 then I'm sure that they would like to keep that reputation..
i can totally relate to your experience. when i hit my head and a few other time that i was in the hospital for the same issues. it takes for ever to get anything accomplished.. and the nurses i believe are only assigned a certain number of rooms to handle, so there really is no reason for the neglect. expectually when you can see out the door and see 4 Ppl all standing at the counter chit chatting..

Red_Chili
01-04-2012, 09:52 AM
Aargh, Isaac, what an awful experience.

You could look at it this way: better a leg than a head. DAMHIK. TWICE!! even.

Stitches = Porter

Nuh-uh. Swedish any day of the week. I'd be in shock much sooner at Denver Health just thinking about it... :rolleyes:
http://www.swedishhospital.com/conditions-we-treat/emergency-services/

Why is it that we fund the needs that are most extreme with far less than the 'nicer' ones, and send the people to work there who are... um, shall we say less than the best? I know, rhetorical question...

Every day I see the sign, Level 1 Care for All. All but Isaac apparently... I would not trust medical care that can't even look for an allergy bracelet THEY provided. What are the odds you would die due to a simple mistake??

AxleIke
01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Well Isaac look at it this way, it can only get better.

As for Denver Health,, don't even waste your time with a letter. Their ER is the best in CO with the best trauma unit in the country, one of the top three I should say. Had your leg been ripped of your body you would not want to go anywhere else.

It does suck how they treated you and the first doctor needs to be held accountable for his mistake as should the nurse. Problem is that in a turn and burn ER like theirs this is a minor mishap that is acceptable in their eyes. And the rude people there are overworked and underpaid for what they have to deal with. I know it is not an excuse but when you turn it around and look at what they deal with on a daily basis we would be cranky too.

Also just an FYI if you ever find yourself with a brain injury or spinal injury go to Swedish hospital! They too are a level one trauma unit but specialize in those areas.

And they BK story had me rolling, I could see it all like I was there, I bet that burger tasted damn good. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you and much better year ahead.

The Knife and Gun Club: Scenes from an Emergency Room
By Eugene Richards (http://books.google.com/books?id=QHoid2rLpEUC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Yup, Tom...

Stitches = Porter

Oh they are getting a letter. They may have been number 1 at some point, but from everything I saw, that reputation has slipped. The place was run down, callous, and the multitude of guards and metal detectors kept it as a very nice prison feeling atmosphere. This isn't my first rodeo, and I've been to many ER's. They were all levels above this one.

Maybe when they were Denver General, they were top notch, but as Denver Health, they have fallen pretty far.

AxleIke
01-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Aargh, Isaac, what an awful experience.

You could look at it this way: better a leg than a head. DAMHIK. TWICE!! even.

Nuh-uh. Swedish any day of the week. I'd be in shock much sooner at Denver Health just thinking about it... :rolleyes:
http://www.swedishhospital.com/conditions-we-treat/emergency-services/

Why is it that we fund the needs that are most extreme with far less than the 'nicer' ones, and send the people to work there who are... um, shall we say less than the best? I know, rhetorical question...

Every day I see the sign, Level 1 Care for All. All but Isaac apparently... I would not trust medical care that can't even look for an allergy bracelet THEY provided. What are the odds you would die due to a simple mistake??

Agreed.

treerootCO
01-04-2012, 11:09 AM
This is the billboard by my house......

Maybe it's just me but, you have pretty low standards if you focus on how many people you don't kill off.

simps80
01-04-2012, 11:16 AM
#1 in survival?

nice

Red_Chili
01-04-2012, 11:22 AM
And they ask if we are surprised. Huh, another rhetorical question.
Like asking if someone is surprised that people survive a situation renowned for disaster.
Where do these marketing ideas COME from anyway??!? :lmao:

RockRunner
01-04-2012, 12:23 PM
A level 1 Trauma unit is rated on its Daily ER patients nor in how it looks. It is rated on the surgical staff and their ability to take the most sever cases and treat them. This can mean an arm that has been detached or a 2x4 through the chest.

Unfortunately the normal everyday ER care is not included in that. I have been to DG and DH ER before and you are correct Isaac, it is a dump. Now keep in mind how many people they see on a daily basis that have no way of paying their bill. They come in and are still cared for and released ASAP to keep the cost down. DH loses money every year in the $80-100 millions due to the people that don't or can't pay. I am not defending their care of you or any of the other people there but I want you to look at the bigger picture.

The bad part was that you did not have a choice where to go. Your insurance dictated that you had to go to DH. If not you most likely would have gone to Lutheran or Swedish or maybe something closer to your home. What I stated above still stands, DH and Swedish are the top rated ER's in the Denver Metro area.

Here is the explanation of each level and as much as I like Skyridge (upscale hotel) I would never go there if I had a very serious injury nor would the paramedics take you there.

And if you want to know why I am so passionate about this PM me and I will tell you.

Explanation of State Trauma Levels
Regional Pediatric Trauma Center (RPTC)
Provides the highest level of definitive and comprehensive care for pediatric patients with complex injuries. Emergency physicians, nurses, and surgeons are immediately available to the pediatric trauma patient. Regional Pediatric Trauma Centers are responsible for research , professional and community education, prevention, and consultative community outreach services and programs statewide.

Level I
Provides the highest level of definitive and comprehensive care for patients with complex injuries. Emergency physicians, nurses and surgeons are immediately available to the trauma patient. Level I Trauma Centers are responsible for research, professional and community education, prevention, consultative community outreach services and programs statewide.

Level II
Provides definitive care for complex and severe trauma patients. Emergency physicians and nurses are in-house and immediately available to the trauma patient to direct patient care and initiate resuscitation and stabilization. A surgeon is available upon patient arrival in the Emergency Department. A broad range of specialists, comprehensive diagnostic capabilities, and support equipment are available.

Level III
Provides initial evaluation and stabilization (surgically if appropriate) to the trauma patient. Comprehensive medical and surgical inpatient services are available to those patients who can be maintained in a stable or improving condition without specialized care. Emergency physicians and nurses are immediately available, and surgeons within 20 minutes, to assess, resuscitate, stabilize and initiate transfer as necessary to a higher level Trauma Care Service.

Level IV
Provides initial evaluation, stabilization, diagnostic capabilities and transfer to a higher level of care. May provide surgical and critical care services as defined in the service's scope of trauma care services. A trauma-trained nurse is immediately available, and physicians are available upon patient arrival in the Emergency Department.

Level V
Provides initial evaluation, stabilization, diagnostic capabilities and transfer to a higher level of care. May provide surgical and critical care services as defined in the service's scope of trauma care services. A trauma-trained nurse is immediately available, and physicians are available upon patient arrival in the Emergency Department. The facility must have an after-hours trauma response protocol, if not open 24 hours daily.

Non-designated
Must transfer all trauma patients, except those defined in rule (Chapter 2) to the appropriate, designated trauma center. Transfer agreements are required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
HFEMS-A2
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, CO 80246-1530
Phone: (303) 692-2980
Fax: (303) 691-7720

RockRunner
01-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Isaac,
Hope things are getting better. I have learned after sitting at the Univ Hosp ER to not go to a public hospital. Go where the homleess and indingents are not and you get quicker service, nicer attitudes and real care. We went to skyridge after Univ of Colo Med Center and the difference in all aspects of care was amazing

Vet surgeries are expensive, our dog just had a big tumor removed Friday with 17 staples on the outside and it was over $1500 and still counting.

Hope the rest of your year improves

It all depends on what the problem is. If you broke your arm or cut your foot sure go there, if your insurance will cover it. If you don't have that option and you have to go public or your injuries are to severe than you can't or should not.

This is what Skyridge can do for you in a critical emergeny;
Emergency & Trauma Care at Sky Ridge Medical Center

Sky Ridge Medical Center is committed to delivering the highest quality care and service to your patients through our Emergency Department team.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Emergencies Don’t Wait…Neither Should You

HealthONE hospitals, including Sky Ridge Medical Center, will post approximate ER wait times beginning in late May 2011. Learn more>>

Level III Trauma Center Located at I-25 & Lincoln

As a Level III Trauma Center, Sky Ridge is equipped to address most patient injuries and illness. In addition to board-certified emergency physicians, physician assistants and pediatricians, we have specially trained nurses certified in advanced life support and trauma care as well as a team of emergency medical technicians, paramedics and unit assistants. Our Emergency Department includes:

Don't get me wrong I have two surgeries there and it was the best care and service I have ever received in a hospital. If I have the option to have my shoulder and knee operated on in Skyridge this spring I will but it depends on my doctors :confused:

AxleIke
01-16-2012, 06:01 PM
UPDATE:

I had an appointment with the foot surgeon today, and the latest X-ray shows that my leg is healing incredibly fast. The bone has fully knit, and is nearly back to full volume, whatever that means. However, I can start putting weight on it and walking w/out crutches as soon as I am comfortable with it. I've been hobbling around on it all afternoon with one crutch.

I am so excited right now!

Romer
01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Excellent news. Sounds like you will be up and hopping around in no time

Uncle Ben
01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
UPDATE:

I had an appointment with the foot surgeon today, and the latest X-ray shows that my leg is healing incredibly fast. The bone has fully knit, and is nearly back to full volume, whatever that means. However, I can start putting weight on it and walking w/out crutches as soon as I am comfortable with it. I've been hobbling around on it all afternoon with one crutch.

I am so excited right now!

That is really awesome news! Wanna head back up to RE hill next weekend?

rover67
01-16-2012, 10:19 PM
congrats man, it pays to be a healthy person :)

DaveInDenver
01-17-2012, 06:50 AM
That's great to hear Isaac, be back to abnormal before you know it.

Kenon698
01-17-2012, 09:31 AM
I really glad to hear the healing is going great.

nattybumppo
01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Great to hear!

AxleIke
01-17-2012, 02:19 PM
That is really awesome news! Wanna head back up to RE hill next weekend?

I'm thinking Penrose.

AxleIke
01-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the kind words all! Still a ways to go, but doing better.