PDA

View Full Version : Body swap...FJ55 onto a FJ62 chassis

timmbuck2
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM
So I have a deal on a 1990 FJ62 chassis with everything...motor, tranny, new OME suspension, etc...ran great, body was taken off for another project...not a single wire or hose was cut when the 62 body was taken off. Has anyone heard of a transplant like this? I have a 72 piggie and was going to swap in some disc brakes, a 4 speed, etc..with the 62 I would have a wider stance, much newer frame and suspension, disc brakes, much newer motor with more power and fuel injection, 4 speed, etc etc etc.

Also might be easier to lift? Not many 55 lift options, a lot more for 62's.....

Know anyone who else has done this?

Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

Timm

FJ62:
Wheelbase 107.5 in.
Length 184.0 in.
Width 70.9 in.

FJ55:
Wheelbase 106.3 in.
Length 184.0 in.
Width 68.3 in.

subzali
01-05-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't see the point. You have your 80 already set up for wheeling, and pigs are rare enough that I would personally leave it as is and part out the 62 chassis.

Meh.

Rezarf
01-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Tim-

I would think with enough time and fab skills, it could be swapped. I personally think it would be a cool swap. I agree with Matt if you already have a trail ready 80, but if you want to DD the pig, this would make a lot of sense.

Drew

farnhamstj
01-05-2012, 06:47 PM
What about keeping the 55 frame+body and putting the 62 drivetrain+Axles on it. That makes more sense to me but I don't know how similar the frames are.

MDH33
01-05-2012, 07:03 PM
If I had the 62 setup, I might get one of those 70 series pickup bodies that Proffit's has sometimes and drop that on it. Easy way to have a legal 70 series truck. :cool:

nakman
01-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Sounds like a lot of work to me, for not much benefit. Having owned a 3FE before, they will run forever if well maintained, but they're inefficient and slow. If you really want to body swap the 55 for a DD 55, what about a wrecked Tundra? Get a V8, don't sweat the IFS because as others have said, wheel the 80.

Hulk
01-05-2012, 10:13 PM
How different are the frames? That will be the biggest challenge.

You could simply drop in the 3FE, tranny/transfer case and axles and leave the Pig on its original frame.

Uncle Ben
01-05-2012, 10:18 PM

You could simply drop in the 3FE, tranny/transfer case and axles and leave the Pig on its original frame.

Put a Hundy body on that frame and wheel that sucka!

timmbuck2
01-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't see the point. You have your 80 already set up for wheeling, and pigs are rare enough that I would personally leave it as is and part out the 62 chassis.

Meh.

Who said I had a point? :) True the 80 is my wheeling/expedition rig...but that has taken a lot away from the DD possibilities...with the sleeping platform and drawers and fridge etc etc. Just would be fun to have a cool, different rig to drive around town and mild wheeling trips.

Tim-

I would think with enough time and fab skills, it could be swapped. I personally think it would be a cool swap. I agree with Matt if you already have a trail ready 80, but if you want to DD the pig, this would make a lot of sense.

Drew

X2 Drew...I have plenty of time....not much fab skills, but I am a quick learner. :) Kind of a nice update to the Pig.

What about keeping the 55 frame+body and putting the 62 drivetrain+Axles on it. That makes more sense to me but I don't know how similar the frames are.

Good point.....if the frames are similar, then the body swap would be easier than swapping everything over...if there would have t be a ton of fab work, then swapping the stuff over makes more sense...

If I had the 62 setup, I might get one of those 70 series pickup bodies that Proffit's has sometimes and drop that on it. Easy way to have a legal 70 series truck. :cool:

:drool: now that would be cool!!

Sounds like a lot of work to me, for not much benefit. Having owned a 3FE before, they will run forever if well maintained, but they're inefficient and slow. If you really want to body swap the 55 for a DD 55, what about a wrecked Tundra? Get a V8, don't sweat the IFS because as others have said, wheel the 80.

Hmmm.....a V8 or diesel Pig would be the ultimate......

Ditto above...need to see the frame differences....I posted on MUD, was hoping someone had tried this already...

Put a Hundy body on that frame and wheel that sucka!
:lol:

Red_Chili
01-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm with Martin, that would be a sweet ride.

On the other hand, yeah, if the frame is close, that might be easier. But do a 350 or LT2 swap first, now THAT would ROCK.

AxleIke
01-06-2012, 09:57 PM
My suggestion from doing lots of fab work is to keep the frame and body together, as long as the frame is in good shape.

It is ridiculously easy to hang leaf springs if the 62 is different than the 55, and the motor should be pretty straight forward, assuming toyota kept the motor mounts the same for the the F motors like they did on a lot of other platforms.

The wiring will be the same amount of work no matter what you do.