PDA

View Full Version : Weird Question

AHorseThief
01-09-2012, 11:16 PM
I saw a weird question today and thought maybe someone here might have the answer.

Why do metric socket wrenches use 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drives?

Rezarf
01-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Probably to fit standard ratchets that guys already had. Standard was well... the standard before metric ;) :D

black95
01-10-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm glad they do use standard drives, how bad would suck to have to keep two sets of ratchets around? ;) It does make you wonder if they have metric ratchets in Japan though. Someone make a trip over there and ask :hill:

Uncle Ben
01-10-2012, 07:40 AM
If it would make you feel mo betta then just call your ratchets 6.4mm or 9.5mm or 12.7mm. Problem solved!

60wag
01-10-2012, 08:02 AM
It's likely a historical precedent. The interchangeable socket wrench appears to have been invented in Vermont. If the ratchet became popular in the US before spreading to countries using metric tools, changing the 'standard" ratchet size probably seemed unnecessary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_wrench

RockyMountainMobster
01-10-2012, 08:17 AM
I remember the old tapered square drive bits. now that was a terrible design.:wrench::confused:

RockRunner
01-10-2012, 11:36 PM
I remember the old tapered square drive bits. now that was a terrible design.:wrench::confused:

Are you talking about the screws with a square head? If so those are some of the best screws out there. They rarely strip out and can take more torque than the cheap gold screws most people buy for projects.

If I am building something that requires screws I either use the square bit or star bit screws that are made for decks. Cost a little more but I don't have to worry about a broken screw head or the head stripping out.

Hey Kevin where can I buy one of those metric wrenches at :rolleyes: I need a set for my American made Dodge :D

subzali
01-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Hey Kevin where can I buy one of those metric wrenches at :rolleyes: I need a set for my American made Dodge :D

You laugh but I was working on a GMC rear caliper the other day and the bolt head size was 18mm! When everything else was SAE, this one was metric! :rant: On a US vehicle!

Red_Chili
01-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Just to keep things interesting, my US made Buell has a mix of SAE and metric. One never knows what one may run into doing service!

I suppose it was one more thing that pissed off the Hardley Makitson shops that had to carry Buell... except the Hardleys started showing up with the same issue! (The Japanese make better suspension and instrumentation...)

RicardoJM
01-11-2012, 09:34 AM
You laugh but I was working on a GMC rear caliper the other day and the bolt head size was 18mm! When everything else was SAE, this one was metric! :rant: On a US vehicle!

My Bronco is a mix of metric and SAE as well as some 12 point and some 6 point. A bit of pain because I don't have them all figured out so I often need to go back to the box to get the right one. :D

subzali
01-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Just to keep things interesting, my US made Buell has a mix of SAE and metric. One never knows what one may run into doing service!

I suppose it was one more thing that pissed off the Hardley Makitson shops that had to carry Buell... except the Hardleys started showing up with the same issue! (The Japanese make better suspension and instrumentation...)

Also known as "Hardly Ableson" :D

My Bronco is a mix of metric and SAE as well as some 12 point and some 6 point. A bit of pain because I don't have them all figured out so I often need to go back to the box to get the right one. :D

One reason why I drive a Toyota. I could have gotten a Chevy truck instead of my Tundra (and I thought about it), but even with the small brakes (that have now been upgraded) and small engine, at least I know that I only need 6 sizes of wrenches and sockets to take the thing apart!

Hulk
01-11-2012, 04:34 PM

12 point bolt heads? So they look like this? :eek:

Jacket
01-11-2012, 05:01 PM
The drain plug on the rear diff of my wife's car (Honda) is a 1/2" square hole. Spec says to insert a 1/2" drive socket extension and turn. Weird....

RicardoJM
01-11-2012, 05:18 PM
12 point bolt heads? So they look like this? :eek:

Yup

AHorseThief
01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
The drain plug on the rear diff of my wife's car (Honda) is a 1/2" square hole. Spec says to insert a 1/2" drive socket extension and turn. Weird....

Greatest idea in the history of ever in my opinion. My Honda Ridgeline has the same setup. Changing the magical diff fluid is easier than changing the oil.

I'd like to find some plugs like that to replace the drain and fill plugs in the 40.

RockRunner
01-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I have yet to come across a standard bolt/nut on my Dodge, not that I have torn it all apart. The funny thing is that you think it is an U.S. made truck when it is either build in MX or Canada. I do like the fact that you only need 6 sizes for a Toy vs all kinds of odd sizes on my Dodge (13mm)

BTW you can now buy a socket set at Sears that does 6,8 and 12 point bolts. I think those are all the sizes.

Red_Chili
01-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Greatest idea in the history of ever in my opinion. My Honda Ridgeline has the same setup. Changing the magical diff fluid is easier than changing the oil.

I'd like to find some plugs like that to replace the drain and fill plugs in the 40.
Toyota makes allen drain plugs that are the same size as you need (for drain AND fill). I replaced all mine. Mucho easier.
Marlin stocks them, or you can probably talk to Stevenson and they would know the P/N.

Jacket
01-12-2012, 10:27 AM
10mm allen plug short magnet
90341-18021

10mm allen plug long magnet
90341-18035

DaveInDenver
01-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Toyota makes allen drain plugs that are the same size as you need (for drain AND fill). I replaced all mine. Mucho easier.
Marlin stocks them, or you can probably talk to Stevenson and they would know the P/N.
What I use/used.

Drain (magnetic) plug: 90341‑18021
Fill (non-magnetic) plug: 90341-18016

O-ring for aluminum: 90430-18008 (O-ring is a Toyotaism, it's the flat metal washer)
Crush gasket for steel: 12157-10010

AHorseThief
01-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Allen != square

I always have the right size socket extension laying around...allen wrench not always the case.