PDA

View Full Version : Needed: 2" DOM

Red_Chili
01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Sure, I can go buy some wherever, but wondering if anyone in the club has the following:
seamless DOM, 2" OD, 1.5" ID, .25 wall

Got a project I am cooking up. Will need around 8' or so.

Red_Chili
01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
For that matter... where do guys buy DOM these days, local? Tube Service of Aurora is pricey!

Uncle Ben
01-13-2012, 01:41 PM
How much do you need? (Nevermind just re read your post) How soon do you need it? All tube and pipe has a seam. HREW (Hot rolled electric welded) and CREW (cold rolled electric welded) is what you start with then it goes through a DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) process which makes it dimensionaly true and consequently stronger.

Steel is quickly becoming another precious metal. I could use 60-80 foot of 1.75x120. I also need a stick of 2" x .500 DOM. If we can get a good order together we can get a decent price break. Deals seem to vary....I think a lot has to do with whats on the shelf vrs. what has to be ordered. New stock vrs. old stock.

rover67
01-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I have quite a bit of 1.5" .120 HREW if that helps.

Uncle Ben
01-13-2012, 02:04 PM
I have quite a bit of 1.5" .120 HREW if that helps.

:) I do too....waiting for it to get up to $200 an ounce them I'm selling!

PhatFJ
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
I priced some DOM last year and just about :gaah::eek::tongue2::rip:

Beater
01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
dom is often overkill. why not hrew? Dencol for a bigger order.

j

60wag
01-13-2012, 03:37 PM
There is another grade of material that might cost a bit less than DOM, its called ROPS (Roll over protective structure) The yield strength isn't as high as the DOM but is higher than the basic HREW. It's designed for roll cages. You might see if Jorgenson has it in stock.

Red_Chili
01-17-2012, 12:25 PM
dom is often overkill. why not hrew? Dencol for a bigger order.

j
Anti-wrap bar. No, I think DOM is not overkill for this application.

I would be down with a group order! I did see that Trail-Gear [Bill ducks and runs for cover...] sells the above for $1.90/in, which pretty much smokes any other prices I've seen. That doesn't count shipping though.

I would like to get rolling on this before wheeling season. I am pretty close to having a circuit done for the MIG... now if I can just find time to fix my coolant leak.

Haku
01-17-2012, 01:26 PM
I bought half a stick of 1.5"x.250 wall DOM from C&M Iron about 2 months ago. They only do it in half or full lengths (10is to 20is feet long) and were reasonable. They seemed to have a reasonable selection of DOM there. I think I paid just under $80 for the 10 feet I got. Worth a call and they aren't too far from you (they are just off 285 kind of near High Country). Tube Service has a $150 minimum order but if you get over that they are reasonable. I had a good experience with Marmon Keystone a while back, but the last time I called their prices had doubled (they do mostly large orders and the more you buy the better the deal). I've never been in there, but for shorter stuff i have heard K&K Surplus is the place to call, as they are one of the few places that sell short lengths of stuff but still have a decent selection.

I imagine if you do a bit of calling around, that you'll be able to find a better deal locally then buying online. Shipping is gonna be a ton on an 8 foot stick of it. If you do buy it online, I recommend RuffStuff Specialties. The only other thought I had was to maybe call a few fab shops and see if they will let you tag onto one of their orders. I've done that with Scotty at Addicted Offroad and its a heck of a deal. If its not time critical he'll give it to you for the same price as he gets, and you just go pick it up. I'm sure some other shops would do that too.

Corbet
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
All you guys complaining about the price of steel in a competitive marketplace like the front range. Try it down here in a captured market where almost everything needs to be special ordered:banghead:

Air Randy
01-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Bill,

Whats the longest individual piece you need? I have the interior roll cage that came out of the Meanie which is 2" DOM. There is lots more than 8' total linear feet of material but the longest straight section is probably 4' to 5' long.

ScaldedDog
01-17-2012, 11:02 PM
I bought half a stick of 1.5"x.250 wall DOM from C&M Iron about 2 months ago.

I just did the same thing in the last few weeks (for a track bar, oddly enough), and the price was about $7/ft. Half stick minimum, as you mentioned.

Mark

60wag
01-18-2012, 08:10 AM
So a track bar is a link with pivots on both ends, right? The bar is in straight tension or compression with no bending moment? Also, the track bars I've seen are mounted high up on top of the differential unlike the lower control arms on an 80, so rock damage to a track bar isn't a big concern, right? So why use DOM over a lower strength material? Are you going for a super thin wall design to keep the weight down? I don't get it.

Red_Chili
01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
There is definitely bending moment. That is why. In fact it is more bending than compression or tension, since a shackle removes all compression/tension. Don't think control arm... the spring locates the axle, but the traction bar prevents rotation of the axle around the spring attachment point, and uses two bar attachment points to the axle to prevent the axle trying to rotate around the *bar's* upper attachment point and S the spring under severe hop.

I plan on running the main bar above or only slightly to one side and above the driveshaft, with the bracing bar to the driver's side of the diff but only a bit below the axle centerline. So the bracing bar will be at a bit of an angle rather than perpendicular to the axle, but the bar itself should permit absolutely free articulation. I plan on a Johnny-joint or heim at the horsecollar crossbar with a small shackle, but urethane mounts at the axle (only some vibration damping needed).

Hey Randy, I need about a 4' section and maybe a 3' section, so it sounds like we can help each other out! PM me what you need and when/where to pick it up.

AxleIke
01-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Track bar? this usually refers to a panhard rod. Traction bars, or anti wrap bars, are used on leaf spring trucks to eliminate the axle wrap inherent in a leaf system. They work very well, and, if designed right, will serve to completely protect the driveshaft from barber pole striping in most situations.

So, Bill, whatcha building? Or, is the correct term "Bill-ding"? Bored, broken legged individuals obsessed with fab work want to know! :D

Edit, Nevermind, I can't read!!!

AxleIke
01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Bill, are you still looking for .250 wall? I have that, but I'm not willing to part with it right now. However, I bring this up, because I would be VERY surprised if someone built a roll cage from .250 wall 2" DOM. The weight of such a cage would be astronomical. The 10 foot section I have weights a TON.

Not trying to kill any deals here, just checking. Cheers!

60wag
01-18-2012, 11:54 AM
I got it - two attachment points at the axle so no pivot there. Carry on.

There is definitely bending moment. That is why. In fact it is more bending than compression or tension, since a shackle removes all compression/tension. Don't think control arm... the spring locates the axle, but the traction bar prevents rotation of the axle around the spring attachment point, and uses two bar attachment points to the axle to prevent the axle trying to rotate around the *bar's* upper attachment point and S the spring under severe hop.

I just spent some time looking at pictures of "traction bars" on google. I surprised how many of the them are down low and how many are a single pivot on each end.

Red_Chili
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Edit, Nevermind, I can't read!!!
Those darn pain meds... LOL
Bill, are you still looking for .250 wall? I have that, but I'm not willing to part with it right now. However, I bring this up, because I would be VERY surprised if someone built a roll cage from .250 wall 2" DOM. The weight of such a cage would be astronomical. The 10 foot section I have weights a TON.

Not trying to kill any deals here, just checking. Cheers!
Yep, .250 wall, 1.5" ID, 2.0" OD DOM. Gonna use TrailGear's weldable bungs unless someone has some mongo taps.

Red_Chili
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
I just spent some time looking at pictures of "traction bars" on google. I surprised how many of the them are down low and how many are a single pivot on each end.
I certainly thought about that approach. Simple. But in my mind at least, it seems like part of what an anti-wrap bar is trying to accomplish is decoupling the axle location, axle wrap mitigation (another aspect of axle location), and suspension functions of a leaf spring. So a rigid double bar handles all wrapping, allowing the spring to just suspend, and locate along a horizontal plane through an arc. I suppose doing a heim with no shackle at the tcase would do that too, but that would be a different arc so it would introduce a new stress to the spring, albeit non-oscillating. Maybe that doesn't much matter if the arc centers were reasonably close. It would make an interesting experiment.

LOL, this is Red Chili doing his poor impersonation of a mechanical engineer...

A single bar won't quite do all that except where the wrap stresses are less than what would overcome the leaf stiffness, because it still relies on the spring to form part of the anti-wrap structure. In other words, works fine until you really need it, then it seems like it would or at least could make things much worse! (S-ing the spring in a really fast hop... youch.)

Lemme know if I am missing something, happens all the time.

AxleIke
01-18-2012, 06:51 PM

Yep, .250 wall, 1.5" ID, 2.0" OD DOM. Gonna use TrailGear's weldable bungs unless someone has some mongo taps.

Those work well, but my advice is to buy a cheap grade bolt of the correct size and pitch, and thread it into the bung before you weld. Keep it in there until the piece is fully welded and cooled.

Otherwise, the threads can warp and you'll need a big tap anyway. DAMHIK.

This method works great.

Haku
01-18-2012, 11:26 PM

How about Ruffstuff instead? They do a heck of a deal on Heims with the bung and jam nut included.

www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

Josh

Uncle Ben
01-19-2012, 06:04 AM
How about Ruffstuff instead? They do a heck of a deal on Heims with the bung and jam nut included.

www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

Josh

X2!!!!! Ruff Stuff is awesome and they ship really fast! As mentioned, you can get a good quality Heim packages with misalignment bushings AND jam nut AND insert cheaper than must places sell just the Heim. Put FACEBOOK in the coupon line and always get an additional 10% off the entire order. I used to shop Poly Perf for most of my hardware but since they moved and restructured their prices went up and service took a dive. Using Trail Marts cheap junk on your Toyota is the same as buying your furniture at Walmart!

Red_Chili
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Ruffstuff is VERY helpful. Just ordered a modified kit. Thanks all for your advice.

Red_Chili
03-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Well... finally got all my kit from RuffStuff... they were very helpful in modifying the standard kit with different tabs. I guess they forgot to write it down though, I didn't get them. :doh:

They will be sending the tabs shortly. Hmmm. Nice folks though.