PDA

View Full Version : Bike tray/Rack idea

bgoodheart
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm kicking around some ideas on adding hard points to mount a bike tray :weld:, like the one in the picture, so that a bike will fit between the two uprights on the rack (where the fancy blue line was expertly Photoshopped in ;)). I should have thought this through when I built the rack... At any rate, I'd like to keep the roof clear for a RTT (and because of my propensity to drive into things with bikes on the roof).

Has anybody done anything like this? Any comments on the idea? Left to my own devices, my ideas aren't always million dollar ones, so please save me from myself if necessary!

As far as the mechanics of it, I was planning on adding stubs of 1" round tube from each upright to act as "mini crossbars" for the tray mount. Imagine 1" tube in an L shape extending from each upright. Good? Worst idea in the history of humankind?

Thanks for the ideas/blatant criticism/etc.

BJ

nakman
01-13-2012, 04:13 PM
You want to mount the bike to the side of the truck? Would you take your handlebars off, or rotate them 90 somehow? :eek:

DaveInDenver
01-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Tour companies do this all the time. Mount the bike tray a few inches away and straight up. The shell-side pedal will probably have to be in the high noon position and the tray high enough so that the bars clear the roof. Might leave the front wheel on, but not sure it's necessary.

bgoodheart
01-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Bikes will fit. Well, our bikes will fit anyway (road and CX bikes) without any special gymnastics or leaving the wheel on. I figured that a fork mount (vs upright) would hold things down more securely. That, and I already have 6 of those style trays laying around. The photo is a little deceiving about the angle of the shell and the clearance available.

Ordinarily, I would just put a single bike in the bed assuming we don't have the family packed up, so this would be more for trips and gear.

Dave, I think you're right about the pedal. I didn't check that when I held the bike in place. Must have just had lucky placement.

DaveInDenver
01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Yeah, seems like bars aren't a biggie, just the pedals. Even wide CX bars are 44cm and MTB 26"ish, so maybe 13" off the center line.

bgoodheart
01-13-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm questioning stability, although I'll be using thicker-walled material than a standard Yakima cross bar. They're high enough to probably not be nailed by an Escalade door, but I wonder about people running into them there.

MDH33
01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Hmmm.. I think you should sell me your rack and then start a new one from scratch and build it with the bike racks like you want. ;)

bgoodheart
01-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Hmmm.. I think you should sell me your rack and then start a new one from scratch and build it with the bike racks like you want. ;)

That's solid logic, Martin! If I still had a welder, bender, and all that good stuff (and some spare time), you might just talk me into it eventually...

Or...if anybody else nearby has those things, I'm happy to act as project supervisor. :drink:

rover67
01-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Yakima bars are 1 1/8" but if you used 1" tubing you can use that hard plastic sprinkler hose from home depot to shim it out. I have some 1" tube scraps you might be able to use also.

I wonder if you could make the two tube pieces that stick out of the uprights hinge inwards toward the shell. They could swing in to reduce the side profile of the rig when you have the bike rails off, but swung out and with the bike rail attached to both stubs I bet it'd still be pretty rigid.

RockRunner
01-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I would make the rack detachable with some solid round stock bend into a L shape and a hollow round piece welded on your support bars for your rack. This way you can remove your bike rail any time you want and people won't hit the little outriggers or the bike rail when not in use. You could put a pin through the section that holds the L stock in the tube. Hope this makes sense, I did this a long time ago on my old truck to keep the bed empty.