PDA

View Full Version : Lets get ready for CM 2012!

Air Randy
01-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Alright, it's 2012 and we've already kicked off the wheeling season with the Snow & Pizza Run. Now we need to start thinking about CM 2012! The main event is less than 5 months away and the pre-run is coming up in March.

In the past, one of the main preparatory events was the wheel bearing packing party. That is always great fun but the club seems to have evolved where not too many rigs need just their wheel bearings repacked. Instead we see lots of requests at that event for other, sometimes major work like suspension mods, bumper installs, etc. It's usually a challenge to try and squeeze all of that work into 1 day with limited access to lifts, etc.

So, I would like to propose that we plan 1 weekend per month until CM12 focused on getting rigs ready for Moab. I am willing to make my shop available for this purpose. I have 3 heated bays and 1 lift. I also have plenty of floor jacks and jack stands if needed for the other 2 bays. I also have a mig welder, plasma cutter, tranny jack and just about every other tool needed to work on cruisers except for a tube bender.

Let me know what level of interest there is for doing this. I would propose we prioritize vehicles that will be going to CM12, but if there is enough space anyone else is welcome too.

THERE IS AN ADDED BENEFIT: If you bring your vehicle to one of these wrenching sessions, you can get it inspected for CM12 in advance! This will save you a little time at CM12 and give you a chance to discover any defects while still having time to fix them.

If you are going to work on your vehicle here I have a few simple requests: bring all consumables with you (oil, beer, gear lube, beer, grease, beer, paper towels, beer, etc). Also, be prepared to take your used oil and old parts with you. We have an oil drain tank but it will fill up fast.

Bring your basic hand tools and friends to pitch in and help. I'm sure we will be able to get additional experienced folks to pitch in and help for some of the more advanced work.

Let me know what level of interest there is for this and what type of work you are interested in doing. This is not intended to replace the wheel bearing packing party but to supplement it for folks that need more advanced work done.

waggoner5
01-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Great idea Randy. Thanks for setting this up.

rover67
01-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Randy, this is very generous of you. I think it'd allow people to get a look at their rigs, wheel them a bit, then fix what they know needs work at that point. Something some of us have the resources to do but not all.

Depending on the weekend I'd be more than willing to head down there for a weekend or two to help folks out and play trucks.

Uncle Ben
01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Good form Randy! :thumb::thumb:

J Kimmel
01-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I plan on getting ready the night before :confused:

RockRunner
01-15-2012, 01:13 PM
I plan on getting ready the night before :confused:

That is the ussual plan.

Thanks Randy for doing this. And as many know already, Randy's shop is equiped for just about anything.

Hulk
01-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Very generous of you, Randy!

leiniesred
01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Wow Randy. Thank you for offering up your shop. I might be able to come down and offer Jeep Mechanic wrenching tips to go along with the Ford mechanic wrenching tips. I'll watch for the exact date and try to help out.

ScaldedDog
01-15-2012, 04:09 PM
You're the man, Randy!! I wonder if there'll be any whiz-bang gear-setup folks in attendance who could help me swap over to a front high pinion setup, and school me in the process?

Mark

Air Randy
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
You're the man, Randy!! I wonder if there'll be any whiz-bang gear-setup folks in attendance who could help me swap over to a front high pinion setup, and school me in the process?

Mark

Oh yeah, we can do that any time. Why, we could even let Sascha and Ricardo do it. They have been through the initial training course. :D

baileyfj40
01-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Gentlemen, is it possible for me to bring our club trailer down and get some help doing some possibly overdue trailer maintenance repacking wheel bearings on our club trailer?

Thx

surffj62
01-16-2012, 10:00 PM
I'd like to come by- I still have yet to be home when you all have the monthly meetings. I met a few of you at your blow off work rally last summer when I was taking the kids camping and we joined you for the afternoon. Anyway, trying to do the Moab trip if possible
I don't think my truck needs much, but I would love to get dirty and help some others so I can learn more about what others are running and why and to learn how to wrench myself- you know... Like an apprenticeship.
What weekends are you thinking about?

TIMZTOY
01-16-2012, 10:48 PM

Mark

are you just needing to swap out 3rd's or compleatlly set up the high pinion then swap it ?

ScaldedDog
01-16-2012, 11:32 PM
are you just needing to swap out 3rd's or compleatlly set up the high pinion then swap it ?

Converting my current V6/ARB third to a HP third with the same ARB. I'll probably just bring my current third, and new housing gears and setup kit.

Mark

PhatFJ
01-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Really nice of you to offer this Randy :thumb:. Not making CM this year for the first time :( but would be happy to come down and help or maybe :beer:..

FJBRADY
01-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Sounds like a party, count me in! :drink:

Oh yeah I need to :wrench::zilla: a bit too.

Thank you for the hospitality Randy, much appreciated.:thumb:

JadeRunner
01-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks Randy. That's very generous of you.

I will use one of those days to have you (or others with more skills) help me with my rear bumper that I have been talking to you about.

1. Remove custom bumper from frame rails. Rockware broke off a bolt burning the install years ago and the bumper has been beat on pretty hard over the years. So this may be difficult in my mind.

2. Cut off and move 2" receiver tube up into the main bumper so it doesn't stick down and hit anymore. Plasma cutter and welding required.

I will then take the bumper down to get powder-coated and try to put it back on myself. May need help with that also. Need it done before the pre-run.

corsair23
01-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Gentlemen, is it possible for me to bring our club trailer down and get some help doing some possibly overdue trailer maintenance repacking wheel bearings on our club trailer?

Thx

Great idea Mike...I'd definitely be up for helping out if my schedule allows. Shouldn't take too long and I'm sure it is long overdue.

bigcity25
01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Would like to come down and meet some of you guys. I can help do a little wrenching also if needed.

RicardoJM
01-17-2012, 11:35 AM
This is a great idea and there is great interest in doing this. I've offered to help in coordinating and will start weekend specific threads in the Trip/Event Planning forum for the intended purpose of coordinate activity for each of the weekends. To get the ball rolling, let's start this weekend and schedule the following dates:

Jan 28-29
Feb 11-12
Mar 10-11
Apr 14-15

Look for the weekend specific threads to hit the forum shortly.

corsair23
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
What sort of "services" do you think can reasonably be done in a day?

For instance, on my LX I'm pretty sure I need to replace the tie rod ends (4). Could this be accomplished in a day? Or is something like that better to have done by a shop that can also do an alignment afterward?

Air Randy
01-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Thx

No problem, just don't plan on leaving it here :D

Setting up the 3rd member with the new gears & ARB is no problem

For those that want to just pitch in and help, the more the merrier. It will probably take several pairs of hands to drop the bumper off of Jaderunners rig. If any of you have good fab skills you are welcome to use the plasma cutter and mig welder, or I can do it too.

Thanks Ricardo for stepping in to help manage the process. Remember we have 3 bays and 1 lift so we don't want to over book the space.

Jacket
01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks Randy! I take it these sessions are a replacement for the annual WBPP?

nattybumppo
01-17-2012, 12:50 PM
H55f install into an Fj60 Saturday February 11th, with tear-out and clutch work Thursday or Friday evening beforehand! Thanks, Randy!!!

I would love to do some more differential work soon. In fact I am thinking about putting an ABR in the 4.11 rear I got from Matt for the aforementioned 60. If a "high pinion" is not significantly different from a regular diff, I would be happy to help with Mark's project. If it is quite different, well I'm always up for learning while I help, but I may not be considered "experienced".

RicardoJM
01-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Yes and no. If you need to pack your wheel bearings any of these sessions would be a good time to do it. I took over the WBPP a few years ago and need to think through if it will/can/should be rolled into these sessions. Perhaps, the best thing to do is re-brand the March or April session as the WBPP.

RicardoJM
01-17-2012, 12:59 PM
H55f install into an Fj60 Saturday February 11th, with tear-out and clutch work Thursday or Friday evening beforehand! Thanks, Randy!!!

I would love to do some more differential work soon. In fact I am thinking about putting an ABR in the 4.11 rear I got from Matt for the aforementioned 60. If a "high pinion" is not significantly different from a regular diff, I would be happy to help with Mark's project. If it is quite different, well I'm always up for learning while I help, but I may not be considered "experienced".

Post it up in Session #2 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17149). :D

Air Randy
01-17-2012, 05:24 PM

I didn't want this to take the place of the official club event WBPP as some folks may be disappointed if that didn't happen and it's typically held closer in to town so the drive isn't as far.

On the other hand, if we want to choose one of the weekends Ricardo has identified and have the official WBPP at my place we can do that too.

baileyfj40
01-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Barring snow I can do most any weekend listed, which one would work for others for me to get the most help with the bearings on the club trailer. I will hook it up and take it to the local auto parts place Saturday the 21st of Jan and see if I can get replacement wheel seals for it.

Inukshuk
01-19-2012, 10:50 PM
For instance, on my LX I'm pretty sure I need to replace the tie rod ends (4). Could this be accomplished in a day? Or is something like that better to have done by a shop that can also do an alignment afterward?

Very easy IF you have the right tie rod end puller - a good one like Ige owns - heat (to loosen the ends from the rod), a big pipe wrench (to loosen the ends from the rod) and access to a vise (also part of loosening the ends from the rod) and the ability to make a jig (I screwed wood blocks to the top of my workbench) so that you can get the tie rod length right. To get my ends out I had to clamp the end in the vise, heat the area at the threads and then stand on my pipe wrench to get them apart.

Still, maybe took an hour total per rod.

Air Randy
01-20-2012, 06:27 PM
What sort of "services" do you think can reasonably be done in a day?

Bring folks that have the knowledge and any special tools required like the puller that Ige has. Also, keep in mind we are doing both Saturday and Sunday on the appointed weekends. You could work on it Saturday and if you run out of time, finish it on Sunday. Just arrange a ride back & forth.