PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent stall FJ80

baja1d
01-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Just wheeled this last Saturday on the Snow Run and now I seem to have developed an intermittent stall. 1994 FJ80; 230K on the ticker. Besides changing the oil, the only maintance we've done is a starter. Symptoms: While at highway speeds it seems to be cutting in and out. When exiting the highway she wants to stall at the first stop light. After stalling, she fires right back up as if nothing happened. By no means is this consistent either. Seems to happen every couple of days. One more symptom is the occasional "refuse to start until I've pulled out battery charger or flagged someone down for a jump". Notice that I didn't say that I hooked up the charger or actually got a jump!!! For some reason, she'll suddenly decide to start w/o extra juice. I'm wondering if this isn't a fuel filter issue, alternator, or something bigger. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Air Randy
01-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Just wheeled this last Saturday on the Snow Run and now I seem to have developed an intermittent stall. 1994 FJ80; 230K on the ticker. Besides changing the oil, the only maintance we've done is a starter. Symptoms: While at highway speeds it seems to be cutting in and out. When exiting the highway she wants to stall at the first stop light. After stalling, she fires right back up as if nothing happened. By no means is this consistent either. Seems to happen every couple of days. One more symptom is the occasional "refuse to start until I've pulled out battery charger or flagged someone down for a jump". Notice that I didn't say that I hooked up the charger or actually got a jump!!! For some reason, she'll suddenly decide to start w/o extra juice. I'm wondering if this isn't a fuel filter issue, alternator, or something bigger. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you broke some crud loose in the gas tank. I would definitely check the fuel filter and fuel pump pressure first. Once those are replaced or confirmed good see what happens. If it is still stalling then you got some of the crud up into the carb. If so, you can try the hsade tree rebuild method where you take the air cleaner off, rev the engine up to 2500 rpm or so then slam your hand down over the top of the carb. It creates a huge vacuum spike and will sometimes suck the offending object through and clear the problem. If that doesn't work then you probably need to pull the carb and give it a good cleaning & rebuild kit.

Inukshuk
01-16-2012, 09:49 AM
you got some of the crud up into the carb

Oooh, the rare carburated '94 80 :wrench: :cool:

If you have the boringly common fuel injected model, check your air cleaner elbow for cracks (does not explain highway issue as well) which causes stalling and rough running (if cracked just duct tape it till you can get a new one), then search for vacuum leaks (even the oil filler cap left off can do this (ask me how I know).

I presume you checked everything else and have already replaced the head gasket.

baja1d
01-16-2012, 10:28 AM
It is fuel injected & I'll check the elbow, look for vacuum leaks, & change the fuel filter today. Never changed the head gasket. Literally, we bought it in '96 with 26,000 miles & haven't done a thing other than tires, oil change, and a starter @ 150k. It's been an amazing vehicle.

treerootCO
01-16-2012, 10:58 AM
...change the fuel filter today....

I would pay someone the next time I need to replace the fuel filter. It is not difficult but you may decide to sell the truck about three hours into that swap ;)

wesintl
01-16-2012, 11:01 AM
sounds like and intermittent ground issue. Could be the harness relay. I'd start there.

RockRunner
01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
sounds like and intermittent ground issue. Could be the harness relay. I'd start there.

Agree, I would check your electrical system. When it does want to start does it turn over or is it just plain dead? if it is just plain dead and then after a few minutes it will turn over and start I would look at connections and or the parts involved in the starting process. Something may be heating up and shutting down. Hope it helps you but not an electrical guru.

corsair23
01-16-2012, 11:51 AM
I would pay someone the next time I need to replace the fuel filter. It is not difficult but you may decide to sell the truck about three hours into that swap ;)

There is a guy in Littleton that will replace that fuel filter for you for a modest fee...I've never replaced one but from what I've read I decided to let someone else do it :hill:

You could also replace the fuel sock in the tank at the same time like I did and that should ensure the engine is getting clean fuel.

As for the refuse to start...Can you expand on that a bit? Will it not turn over or does it turn over but won't start? If it won't turn over then that would indicate a starter or NSS as possible culprits. If turns over but won't start there are other things to check...

baja1d
01-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Sorry about that. The refuse to start, it's just plain dead no clicking or anything else. The starter will not turn over but all of my accessories, lights, gauges, etc work. Can I get the contact info for the Littleton guy?

corsair23
01-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Sorry about that. The refuse to start, it's just plain dead no clicking or anything else. The starter will not turn over but all of my accessories, lights, gauges, etc work. Can I get the contact info for the Littleton guy?

For the starter issue, you might want to check out this thread - http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8151

I don't recall if the '94 is different from a '97 on the NSS issue but as I recall the MUD link that is in the above thread clarifies that. Anyway, the point being that starting issue could be starter contacts or the NSS if that applies. It could be something else as well. You mention that you've done something to/with the starter? As I found out though, fubar replacing the contacts in the starter and it can again fail quickly :o

I sent you a PM on the contact :thumb:

TIMZTOY
01-16-2012, 11:15 PM
check the spark plugs. it sounds like a tail tail sigh of plugs expectually if you not running DENSO or NGK

baja1d
01-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for all the tips, links, and contacts. I've really neglected this rig because of my 40 project. I think it's time to take a break from the 40 and put some love into the 80. After all, she's a cruiser too and by the time I'm done with the 40 she'll be a classic as well!!!

davework
01-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Check the wiring harness by the EGR Valve for burn through. Look carefully, some have had the same weird problems with a very small melt to ground.

And EFI Relay, further down the probability list.

rover67
01-17-2012, 10:50 PM
I also think it may be a wiring issue... maybe check the connections to the battery and any grounds like Wes said.... maybe something got knocked loose.

When you hit the key and try to start it do the lights go dim or do they stay bright?

subzali
01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
check the spark plugs. it sounds like a tail tail sigh of plugs expectually if you not running DENSO or NGK

Start with the simple stuff. I would definitely pull the plugs first and have a look-see.

bvb
01-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Put it in numeral next few times coming off the highway, if it doesn't die order a lock-up solenoid for the trans. It will have dirt/clutch material on the back side and won't disengage.

baja1d
02-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Forgot to update what this turned out to be... Turns out my Die Hard really didn't die that hard! Of course Sears gave me the run around that it was 1 month past the "full" replacement deadline. Everytime I visit a Sears I leave asking myself how in the hell they are still in business!!! Any rate, 80's running great. Thanks for all the help and tips.