PDA

View Full Version : CM2012 Wrenching Session #1

RicardoJM
01-17-2012, 11:38 AM
CM2012 Wrenching Session #1

DATE: Jan 28-29
WHEN: 8:00 am to ...
WHERE: Air Randy's Shop - Franktown

If you are interested in doing some work on your rig, post up in this thread. Make sure to include the model, year of your truck and what work you will be doing. Please also indicate if you are experienced, novice or clueless about the work you intend to do. If you are novice and clueless, it would be good to arrange for an experienced wrench to join you. You can use this thread, PM or the Club Roster to make the connection - but to be clear you are responsible for knowing your limits.

The shop is heated, well equipped and there has been a bunch of cruiser work accomplished in there; tune ups, fluid exchanges, front end rebuilds, gear installs, engine/drive train swaps, lift installations, etc.

From a logistics perspective, we'll probably all pitch in and order pizza for lunch.

Randy's requests are very straight forward and important, so I'll re-iterate them here. Bring all consumables with you (oil, beer, gear lube, beer, grease, beer, paper towels, beer, etc). Also, be prepared to take your used oil and old parts with you. We have an oil drain tank but it will fill up fast. Bring your basic hand tools and friends to pitch in and help. I would add that you should also thouroughly prepare for your work and have sufficient and correct parts for your work.

As the roster fills up for each weekend, you should be able to check in to this post and get the roster of activity. I'll update this post as people sign up and drop out:

Saturday

bgoodheart - general maintenance, front end clunk

Sunday

surffj62 - bumper welding, FJ62
nattybumpo - build an ARB diff for a 40, 60 or 62
bigcity25 - Timing, vacuum and compression check for a FJ40

Air Randy
01-17-2012, 11:55 AM
if you have GPS the address is: 1376 Columbine Drive, Franktown, CO 80116. Driving directions: If you are coming from the North you can come down Hwy 83 through Parker to the intersection of Hwy 83 and Hwy 86. If you are coming from the South you can come up Hwy 83 to the intersection of Hwy 83 and Hwy 86. Or you can come via I-25 to Castle Rock and take the Meadows exit, go East until you hit Hwy 86 then go left until you hit the intersection of Hwy 83 & Hwy 86. From that point, continue East on Hwy 86 until you see mile marker 10, just past that there is a left turn into the Bannockburn subdivision (stone sign) on Deerpath Drive. Go to the first left turn (where it changes from pavement to gravel) and turn left on Deerpath Trail. Go to the first right turn and turn right on Columbine drive. We are the first driveway on the right, entrance through white 3 rail fence. Once you turn into the driveway take the gravel drive to the left, it will loop behind the house to the shop.

It's going to get crowded so I would ask that everyone leave their dogs at home to keep the pandemonium down.

timmbuck2
01-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I would like to offer up my shop for the next wrenching session for those in the more western and northern parts of the area. My shop is in Golden a few blocks north of Slee, and is also heated and relatively well equipped. I am not even close to Randy in terms of mechanical know-how or shop equipment-wise but I can pitch in when needed. All the same terms apply as far as what to bring and what to take with you. :) Ricardo, let me know if you want to schedule something at my shop in February.

Timm

RicardoJM
01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
I would like to offer up my shop for the next wrenching session for those in the more western and northern parts of the area. My shop is in Golden a few blocks north of Slee, and is also heated and relatively well equipped. I am not even close to Randy in terms of mechanical know-how or shop equipment-wise but I can pitch in when needed. All the same terms apply as far as what to bring and what to take with you. :) Ricardo, let me know if you want to schedule something at my shop in February.

Timm

That's very generous of you, Timm. Having more options is always a good thing. Perhaps you can get it set up in its own thread :thumb:.

pskhaat
01-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Interested possibly in this session for a front (edit: right) knuckle tear down as I'm getting strange noises on hard left turns all of a sudden. I hate drum brakes and need to desperately adjust the parking brake(s) with new shoes.

I also need to wire in my new OEM lockers into my 1996 FJZ80. Got an extra full wiring harness, but need to splice/mate where needed if anyone could help with that.

RicardoJM
01-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Interested possibly in this session for a front left knuckle tear down as I'm getting strange noises on hard left turns all of a sudden. I hate drum brakes and need to desperately adjust the parking brake(s) with new shoes.

Scott, is this on your UZJ100 or FJZ80?

pskhaat
01-17-2012, 03:13 PM
All on the 80 :)

corsair23
01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
I also need to wire in my new OEM lockers into my 1996 FJZ80. Got an extra full wiring harness, but need to splice/mate where needed if anyone could help with that.

Romer did that on one of his 80s - I think he had a thread on MUD that might be useful for preplanning purposes

surffj62
01-17-2012, 07:34 PM
X2 on golden if others are in. I need to weld a few more pieces on the bumper I built- like 12" of welding if anyone has a welder available, some tune up stuff (small) and have someone look at the truck to see if it's close to being ready for Moab .

Air Randy
01-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Come down to my place. I'm in charge of the tech inspections for Moab so I can pre-inspect your truck plus we can take care of the welding in a few minutes. It's not really as far away as some people make it out to be. Ricardo lives in Highlands Ranch and it takes him about 25 minutes to get here.

surffj62
01-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Will do- looks like a quick spin down 470 for me. Sunday is prob best - we will see what the wife has on honey do list....I'm only home about 10 days a month right now and this the first weekend in a long time. What can I bring as a novice new guy? I'll have tools and a lift...

I will be bringing a fj62 with a h55f.

bgoodheart
01-18-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm about 50/50 on making it down. I just need to do some general maintenance and hunt for a mysterious passenger-side, front end clunk that sometimes happens when the suspension unloads. Aside from that, it sounds like a good chance to meet some more folks in the club.

If I can make it, I'd like to make use of the welder as well. I'll bring my own welding gear and grinder with some cutoff wheels and sanding disks if anyone else needs to do some light fab :weld:.

Work to be done is on the 2004 Tacoma

BJ

RicardoJM
01-18-2012, 07:56 AM
I've updated the initial post with what day (Sat or Sun), for those doing work at this session please check to see if I did it right.:D

surffj62
01-18-2012, 11:26 AM
If we can move me into the Sunday group- it would work better for my schd and It sounds like bgoodheart and I would both be doing some light mx and welding at the same time.

Thanks

RicardoJM
01-18-2012, 11:31 AM
If we can move me into the Sunday group- it would work better for my schd and It sounds like bgoodheart and I would both be doing some light mx and welding at the same time.

Thanks

Done. :thumb:

bgoodheart
01-19-2012, 06:38 AM
Looks like I will be there for sure on Sunday. Surf, let's get our weld on!

BJ

pskhaat
01-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Due to kids' games, I may need to change to Sunday, let you know ASAP.

surffj62
01-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Where do I buy and what kind of welding consumables should I get? Or I could give you guys some $. I only need about 12-ish inches of welding.

bgoodheart
01-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Ricardo, can you update the post to show me on Saturday the 28th? :Princess: has some things planned for Sunday that might make the schedule pretty tight. Thanks!

BJ

Air Randy
01-21-2012, 05:00 PM
Where do I buy and what kind of welding consumables should I get? Or I could give you guys some $. I only need about 12-ish inches of welding.

Bring a case of Bud Light and we'll call it even :thumb:

RicardoJM
01-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Ricardo, can you update the post to show me on Saturday the 28th? :Princess: has some things planned for Sunday that might make the schedule pretty tight. Thanks!

BJ
:thumb:

nattybumppo
01-22-2012, 03:29 PM
May I come build an ARB diff on Sunday?

RicardoJM
01-23-2012, 06:56 AM
May I come build an ARB diff on Sunday?

Added it to Sunday's activity:thumb:

pskhaat
01-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Swim lessons, basketball and general discontent of the wife has me needing to push this to next week.

Thanks!

RicardoJM
01-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Swim lessons, basketball and general discontent of the wife has me needing to push this to next week.

Thanks!

Yeah, life does sometimes get in the way of cruiser stuff:D. I moved you to Saturday of Wrenching Session #2 (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17149) on Feb 11-12.

bigcity25
01-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Sunday morning engine health check. Timing, vacuum and compression check if that's cool

RicardoJM
01-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Sunday morning engine health check. Timing, vacuum and compression check if that's cool

It will be good to see you again Jeff:thumb:

surffj62
01-28-2012, 08:00 AM
X2 on the health check! I think my cruiser runs better than I give it credit but would be nice to give it an good once over.

bgoodheart
01-28-2012, 08:14 PM
THANKS Randy and Ricardo for the help/shop space/beer/lunch today! I'm looking forward to seeing the Spec 7 taxi cab all dolled up next time. :cheers:

surffj62
01-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Hats off to you gentlemen, it was a real pleasure playing mechanic and learning more about cruisers and my truck. I owe you all "one"!

Thanks again and see you Wednesday!

bigcity25
01-31-2012, 11:08 AM
X2 guys, nice meeting you all and look forward to other times in the future. Thanks Randy for the shop us and Ricardo for putting this all together. My cruiser runs a lot smoother.

subzali
01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Any pictures?

RicardoJM
01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Any pictures?

A few pictures from Saturday are in this Report Thread (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17235). No pictures were takend on Sunday. With so much going on, it would be a challenge to do detailed writeups and pictures. My mod privledges do not seem to allow me to move posts from this thread the the event report thread.