PDA

View Full Version : CM2012 Wrenching Session #2

RicardoJM
01-17-2012, 11:40 AM
CM2012 Wrenching Session #2

DATE: Feb 11-12
WHEN: 8:00 am to ...
WHERE: Air Randy's Shop - Franktown

If you are interested in doing some work on your rig, post up in this thread. Make sure to include the model, year of your truck and what work you will be doing. Please also indicate if you are experienced, novice or clueless about the work you intend to do. If you are novice and clueless, it would be good to arrange for an experienced wrench to join you. You can use this thread, PM or the Club Roster to make the connection - but to be clear you are responsible for knowing your limits.

The shop is heated, well equipped and there has been a bunch of cruiser work accomplished in there; tune ups, fluid exchanges, front end rebuilds, gear installs, engine/drive train swaps, lift installations, etc.

From a logistics perspective, we'll probably all pitch in and order pizza for lunch.

Randy's requests are very straight forward and important, so I'll re-iterate them here. Bring all consumables with you (oil, beer, gear lube, beer, grease, beer, paper towels, beer, etc). Also, be prepared to take your used oil and old parts with you. We have an oil drain tank but it will fill up fast. Bring your basic hand tools and friends to pitch in and help. I would add that you should also thouroughly prepare for your work and have sufficient and correct parts for your work.

As the roster fills up for each weekend, you should be able to check in to this post and get the roster of activity. I'll update this post as people sign up and drop out:

Saturday

Nattybumppo - H55F install into an FJ60
ScaldedDog - convert V6 ARB diff to HP with the same ARB.
PSKHAAT - knuckle tear down, parking brake adjustment, locker wiring
twmatheson - 87 FJ60 full front axle service
TonkaToy - Early yellow FJ40 with a straight 6 tune up
bruegee - carb and adjust valves 85 FJ60

Sunday

Jaderunner - 4runner bumper work
Old40Dog - 80 series front wheel bearings
FJBrady - diff fluid change X2, overall visual inspection, bolt tightening on FJ40
73COCruiser - FJ40 w/ V8 tuning

nattybumppo
01-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Ah..it belongs here! H55f install into an FJ 60 Saturday the 11th. Sascha, Ricardo, Carlton, and Art (for afternoon only) in attendance. Thanks, guys!

JadeRunner
01-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Put me down for Sun. Feb. 12th. I can be there by 10am. Thanks.

RicardoJM
01-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Put me down for Sun. Feb. 12th. I can be there by 10am. Thanks.

Done:D

ScaldedDog
01-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Saturday - Convert V6 ARB diff to HP with the same ARB. *Possibly* also regearing a 4.88 V6 to 5.29, but that's iffy.

Thanks guys!!!

Mark

RicardoJM
01-19-2012, 06:46 AM
Saturday - Convert V6 ARB diff to HP with the same ARB. *Possibly* also regearing a 4.88 V6 to 5.29, but that's iffy.

Thanks guys!!!

Mark

:thumb:

JadeRunner
01-19-2012, 08:01 AM
One thing I need to know before I come over. What kind of beer does Randy like? Don't tell me anything cold. I want to get his favorite.

Old40Dog
01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Sunday, February 11. Looks like this is replacing the Wheel Bearing Packing Party this year and I need to do that maintenance on the 1992 FJ80 before the Moab Pre-run. Lifts are nice for old backs!

RicardoJM
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Sunday, February 11. Looks like this is replacing the Wheel Bearing Packing Party this year and I need to do that maintenance on the 1992 FJ80 before the Moab Pre-run. Lifts are nice for old backs!

I believe you intended Feb 12 as there is no Feb 11 that is a Sunday this year. :thumb:

Old40Dog
01-19-2012, 01:45 PM
I believe you intended Feb 12 as there is no Feb 11 that is a Sunday this year. :thumb:

Isn't it leap year? :hill:

ScaldedDog
01-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Hey Ricardo, I need to weld a couple of nuts to cast knuckles as part of a 5th stud install. Is this something we could do in session 2, as well? Welding cast is a little different than plain ol' mild steel, it appears.

Thanks,

Mark

RicardoJM
01-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey Ricardo, I need to weld a couple of nuts to cast knuckles as part of a 5th stud install. Is this something we could do in session 2, as well? Welding cast is a little different than plain ol' mild steel, it appears.

Thanks,

Mark

I am a welding illiterate so, I don't know. I'm sure Randy (or Beater, Red Chilli, other welders) will chime in on the welding to cast.

Air Randy
01-24-2012, 09:47 AM

Thanks,

Mark

I've done this mod before. You need an acetylene torch to heat the area you are going to weld almost to red hot. Then you have to immediately weld the nut into place then bury the knuckle in a bucket of sand so it cools slowly.

I have the welder and we can arrange a bucket of sand but I don't have a torch. Those liittle propane burners don't get hot enough for this job.

Air Randy
01-24-2012, 09:49 AM
One thing I need to know before I come over. What kind of beer does Randy like? Don't tell me anything cold. I want to get his favorite.

Bring what ever you like and want to share with the group. I personally don't like the foofoo flavored beers. For serious beer drinking I'm a Guinness guy, for swilling in the shop Bud Light works just fine :D

ScaldedDog
01-24-2012, 11:33 AM
I've done this mod before. You need an acetylene torch to heat the area you are going to weld almost to red hot. Then you have to immediately weld the nut into place then bury the knuckle in a bucket of sand so it cools slowly.

I have the welder and we can arrange a bucket of sand but I don't have a torch. Those liittle propane burners don't get hot enough for this job.

Thanks Randy. I'll defer this to another time.

Mark

TonkaToy
01-27-2012, 01:43 PM
I have the 40 back on the road. I would like to get the carb and timing adjusted so they play better with eachother. Any chance I could get a hand/some instruction on that? I did build some metal tech fenders, added LED turn signals and shot a fresh coat of paint on it the last few months. Lookin pretty nice!

RicardoJM
01-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I have the 40 back on the road. I would like to get the carb and timing adjusted so they play better with eachother. Any chance I could get a hand/some instruction on that? I did build some metal tech fenders, added LED turn signals and shot a fresh coat of paint on it the last few months. Lookin pretty nice!

You bet, pick a date that works and show up. :D

Air Randy
01-27-2012, 04:48 PM

How about helping me shoot that same color of yellow paint on my race car? I'm very self sufficient on mechanical stuff, not so much on body work. It just needs to be a 10 foot paint job as it will get all dinged up anyways.

bgoodheart
01-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Ricardo,

I may actually be able to get the sliders on during session #2. Can we plan tentatively on Saturday? In any event, I'll plan on Sat sessions 2 and 3. If nothing else, I can help someone else with a project or two. Thank you sir!

BJ

RicardoJM
01-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Ricardo,

I may actually be able to get the sliders on during session #2. Can we plan tentatively on Saturday? In any event, I'll plan on Sat sessions 2 and 3. If nothing else, I can help someone else with a project or two. Thank you sir!

BJ

You are slotted for both Saturdays and just remove the one that you don't do.

bgoodheart
01-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks Ricardo. I'll plan on showing up to both. I'm sure I'll have something to do, and I'll help other folks with projects as necessary - or wet sand and polish Dee's RX-7...:D

73COcruiser
02-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Ricardo,

My name is Evan...I purchased a '73 FJ a few weeks ago and am looking for some help tuning the 350 that is in it. I am planning to show up to next Saturdays workshop if that works for you. I am not a Rising Sun member yet because I didn't realize the meeting was this past week but I plan to join next month.

If I can get some help on my FJ from more experienced members that would be great since I am a rookie, but I am also willing to provide a helping hand to anyone with their projects in order to better understand how to work on these vehicles.

Thanks!

RicardoJM
02-05-2012, 09:51 AM
...My name is Evan...I purchased a '73 FJ a few weeks ago and am looking for some help tuning the 350 that is in it. I am planning to show up to next Saturdays workshop if that works for you. ...
Excellent, welcome. I've added you to Saturday. Post up some pics of your rig. As it is new to you, what base lining work have you done so far. How's the truck run?

73COcruiser
02-05-2012, 02:50 PM
I really haven't done very much too my rig since I just bought it three weeks ago. Just been driving it around when the weather allows...trying to figure out exactly which mods I would like to do to it.

Here are a few pics and a list of current/future mods.

Current Mods

* Roll Cage
* Front racing seats
* Interior spray-on liner through out tub
* Dual transfer case shifters
* 36 inch Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip Tires
* Chevy 350
* SM 465 Transmission
* Saginaw power steering
* SOA
* Shackle reversal
* Rancho 9000's
* Front Steering Stabilize

Future Mods

*Disc Brakes all around
*Gears and Lockers
*Rear tire/fuel carrier
*Soft-top
*Metaltech Cage to replace current cage
*Install rear seat
*Stereo

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/coloradocelica/1973%20FJ40/DSC_1248.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/coloradocelica/1973%20FJ40/DSC_1246.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/coloradocelica/1973%20FJ40/DSC_1243.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/coloradocelica/1973%20FJ40/DSC_1233.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/coloradocelica/1973%20FJ40/DSC_1231.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/coloradocelica/1973%20FJ40/DSC_1230.jpg

MDH33
02-05-2012, 06:49 PM
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv343/coloradocelica/1973%20FJ40/DSC_1243.jpg

DOH! Bezel Police! :help:

This will be your first modification I hope:

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/219392384_gNuUc-M.jpg

Welcome. :thumb: Always nice to some more 40's in the club.

73COcruiser
02-05-2012, 09:12 PM
MDH33: My bezel has already been flipped...these were just some pics I got from the PO before I bought the FJ. Glad to know the bezel police are still on game!

Evan

bruegge
02-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi Ricardo,
Any chance there's still room on Sunday? I would like to work on my carb and adjust valves if there's room. I've got an 85 FJ60 - pretty stock minus the rust. May need some help as I don't know a ton about either carb ajustment or valve adjustment other than what I've read online. Thanks, Ray

RicardoJM
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi Ricardo,
Any chance there's still room on Sunday? I would like to work on my carb and adjust valves if there's room. I've got an 85 FJ60 - pretty stock minus the rust. May need some help as I don't know a ton about either carb ajustment or valve adjustment other than what I've read online. Thanks, Ray

Sunday is good and I've added you to the list:thumb:.

ScaldedDog
02-06-2012, 07:05 PM

Got the freshly cryo'd parts from Bobby today. If time permits, I'd like to do both the HP/ARB conversion for the front, and regear the V6/Detroit rear.

Mark

TMathewson
02-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm a newbie to the Landcruiser world and would like to learn how to work on the vehicle. I'm in need of some (perhaps a lot) help on a knuckle rebuild kit w/bearings on my 87 FJ60. I would like to come on Saturday if that's Okay. Thanks for your help Ricardo.

RicardoJM
02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm a newbie to the Landcruiser world and would like to learn how to work on the vehicle. I'm in need of some (perhaps a lot) help on a knuckle rebuild kit w/bearings on my 87 FJ60. I would like to come on Saturday if that's Okay. Thanks for your help Ricardo.

Excellent, I put you on for Saturday. :thumb:

RicardoJM
02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
It occured to me that we posted the directions in the thread for session #1, here they are for those needing them this weekend.

if you have GPS the address is: 1376 Columbine Drive, Franktown, CO 80116. Driving directions: If you are coming from the North you can come down Hwy 83 through Parker to the intersection of Hwy 83 and Hwy 86. If you are coming from the South you can come up Hwy 83 to the intersection of Hwy 83 and Hwy 86. Or you can come via I-25 to Castle Rock and take the Meadows exit, go East until you hit Hwy 86 then go left until you hit the intersection of Hwy 83 & Hwy 86. From that point, continue East on Hwy 86 until you see mile marker 10, just past that there is a left turn into the Bannockburn subdivision (stone sign) on Deerpath Drive. Go to the first left turn (where it changes from pavement to gravel) and turn left on Deerpath Trail. Go to the first right turn and turn right on Columbine drive. We are the first driveway on the right, entrance through white 3 rail fence. Once you turn into the driveway take the gravel drive to the left, it will loop behind the house to the shop.

It's going to get crowded so I would ask that everyone leave their dogs at home to keep the pandemonium down.

TonkaToy
02-08-2012, 10:42 PM
We would like to come down this weekend to adjust the tune on the 40 but can only make it on Saturday. Have you reached capacity yet?

RicardoJM
02-09-2012, 07:56 AM
We would like to come down this weekend to adjust the tune on the 40 but can only make it on Saturday. Have you reached capacity yet?

With 6 slotted, it is really going to be a full day on Saturday. I understand that Sunday does not work for your schedule - but there are two more weekends coming up. Will either of those work for you?

bgoodheart
02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I'll plan on being there right around 0800 since I'll be monopolizing the welder for a little while. Can I get Randy some wire, MIG tips, or contribute to the kitty for gas for the welder?

BJ

Air Randy
02-09-2012, 01:28 PM
If you want to bring a roll of .030 solid core mig wire that would be cool in case my current spool is getting close to running out.

FJBRADY
02-09-2012, 02:43 PM
My 40 needs a bath and I am sure I'll be thirsty....I should stop by:)

JadeRunner
02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
BJ, I can pitch in on the roll of welding rod since Randy will be welding on my bumper. Not sure if he needs any plasma for his plasma cutter. :lmao:

Brady, come by and say hi on Sunday. I plan to be there between 9-10am.

ScaldedDog
02-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Do I need to bring any gear setup stuff: Bearing splitters, etc?

Mark

TonkaToy
02-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I would really like/need to get it done this weekend. My son has Saturday off and he wanted to come with but maybe I will head down Sunday without him. Thanks Ricardo & Randy, I appreciate the opportunity and am looking forward to it!

bgoodheart
02-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Ricardo,

Why don't you take me off the list and put TonkaToy on in my place on Saturday. The sliders were almost done, and I put the last bit of paint on to get the back side covered, and must have gotten a bad batch. The paint bubbled up and ruined what otherwise looked great. At any rate, I don't have time to strip paint, prime, and let it cure before tomorrow. Not happy, but what can you do...

bgoodheart
02-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Maybe Sunday for me?

RicardoJM
02-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I would really like/need to get it done this weekend. My son has Saturday off and he wanted to come with but maybe I will head down Sunday without him. Thanks Ricardo & Randy, I appreciate the opportunity and am looking forward to it!

...Why don't you take me off the list and put TonkaToy on in my place on Saturday. ...

Maybe Sunday for me?

BJ, sorry to hear about the paint. The switch to Sunday is not a problem. Mitch, it will be good to see you and your son again. I'll put you on Saturday.

FJBRADY
02-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Brady, come by and say hi on Sunday. I plan to be there between 9-10am.

Oh you got it! Count me in for Sun.

Ricardo, put me down for diff fluid change X2, overall visual inspection, bolt tightening, beer swilling, witty banter and riveting conversations. :thumb:

RicardoJM
02-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Well here we are on the eve of the second weekend. It is a pretty full schedule of activity. I'm planning to be there at 8:00 and am looking forward to a great weekend of getting trucks better than they are today. We could really use a mentor or more for front axles, engine tuning and dif building. If you've got the skills and experience, it would be great if you could come on down and lend a hand. Even if you don't have the mentoring skills, an extra hand to do the pizza run would be nice.

As I think about it, we actually have a head start on some of this weekens work as yesterday evening, Nattybumpo brought down his new H55 and we pulled the H42 from his truck.:D

RicardoJM
02-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Oh you got it! Count me in for Sun.

Ricardo, put me down for diff fluid change X2, overall visual inspection, bolt tightening, beer swilling, witty banter and riveting conversations. :thumb:

Done - see you Sunday :thumb:

TonkaToy
02-10-2012, 10:18 AM
B.J., much appreciated! Ricardo and everyone else, see you Tomorrow. I dont think I need much to dial it in, other than a little direction. If I were to throw in some new plugs as well, any suggestions on brand/type? I know how some plugs play better with certain engines than others. I have a 'F' engine with about 65k on it.

Air Randy
02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Do I need to bring any gear setup stuff: Bearing splitters, etc?

Mark No, already have everything we need except beer, we never seem to have enough beer for some reason....................

Air Randy
02-10-2012, 10:46 AM
B.J., much appreciated! Ricardo and everyone else, see you Tomorrow. I dont think I need much to dial it in, other than a little direction. If I were to throw in some new plugs as well, any suggestions on brand/type? I know how some plugs play better with certain engines than others. I have a 'F' engine with about 65k on it.

Wait until we pull the old plugs out to see if they are burning too cold or too hot. That will determine the right heat range plug to buy. As long as they are name brand it really doesn't matter who makes them as long as you get the right heat range.

ScaldedDog
02-10-2012, 12:17 PM
No, already have everything we need except beer, we never seem to have enough beer for some reason....................

I have that tool!!!

Mark

bgoodheart
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Well bummer, I'm out for Sunday too. I won't have enough time to get everything prepped. Have fun everybody. Randy, I'll bring a spool of wire next time; or Scott, if you want to pick up some .030 solid-core I'll just pay you back.

BJ

bruegge
02-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Ricardo - any chance I can switch to tomorrow (Sat)? My Sunday got full and Saturday opened up. Not a huge deal if not - thought I would check.
Thanks.
Ray

JadeRunner
02-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Sorry I wont have time or really even know where to go to get it. If you ed up getting it for him I will still help with the costs though.

Well bummer, I'm out for Sunday too. I won't have enough time to get everything prepped. Have fun everybody. Randy, I'll bring a spool of wire next time; or Scott, if you want to pick up some .030 solid-core I'll just pay you back.

BJ

RicardoJM
02-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Well bummer, I'm out for Sunday too.

I've updated Sunday to open the slot.

Ricardo - any chance I can switch to tomorrow (Sat)? My Sunday got full and Saturday opened up. Not a huge deal if not - thought I would check.
Thanks.
Ray

Ray, continue to monitor the thread. I'll keep it up to date through when I leave in the morning, if there is a Saturday cancelletion - we'll put you in that slot. Also, send me a PM with your phone number and if there is a cancellation and/or we get an open slot in the garage, I will give you a call.

With the Saturday activity, mentors are a consideration (we are lighter thanI would like this area) and the other primary one is the weather. That is to say, the tune up work and valve adjustment can be done in the drive but with the weather outlook not being great for tommorrow it would be good not to have anyone have to work in the elements.

73COcruiser
02-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Ricardo,

You can give my Saturday spot to Ray and I will just come on Sunday if this works. Looks like it may be a little warmer drive for me on Sunday morning without a top on the FJ.

Thanks,
Evan

RicardoJM
02-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Ricardo,

You can give my Saturday spot to Ray and I will just come on Sunday if this works. Looks like it may be a little warmer drive for me on Sunday morning without a top on the FJ.

Thanks,
Evan

Done :thumb:.

bruegge
02-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Thanks Evan,
I'll see you guys tomorrow.
Ray

bgoodheart
02-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Sorry I wont have time or really even know where to go to get it. If you ed up getting it for him I will still help with the costs though.

I picked up a 10lb spool of wire today, but still can't make it down on Sunday. Anyone from Evergreen/Conifer area headed to Randy's?

BJ

Air Randy
02-12-2012, 07:37 AM
No rush, I'm sure we'll be fine for now, we'll just put it into inventory when you do make it down.

Air Randy
02-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Ricardo,

Thanks,
Evan

That now THAT is a real cruiser head!:bowdown::bowdown:

RicardoJM
02-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Use this thread (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=17235)to post up reports/comments from the CM Wrenching Session.