PDA

View Full Version : CM2012 Wrenching Session #3

RicardoJM
01-17-2012, 12:42 PM
CM2012 Wrenching Session #3

DATE: Mar 10-11
WHEN: 8:00 am to ...
WHERE: Air Randy's Shop - Franktown

If you are interested in doing some work on your rig, post up in this thread. Make sure to include the model, year of your truck and what work you will be doing. Please also indicate if you are experienced, novice or clueless about the work you intend to do. If you are novice and clueless, it would be good to arrange for an experienced wrench to join you. You can use this thread, PM or the Club Roster to make the connection - but to be clear you are responsible for knowing your limits.

The shop is heated, well equipped and there has been a bunch of cruiser work accomplished in there; tune ups, fluid exchanges, front end rebuilds, gear installs, engine/drive train swaps, lift installations, etc.

From a logistics perspective, we'll probably all pitch in and order pizza for lunch.

Randy's requests are very straight forward and important, so I'll re-iterate them here. Bring all consumables with you (oil, beer, gear lube, beer, grease, beer, paper towels, beer, etc). Also, be prepared to take your used oil and old parts with you. We have an oil drain tank but it will fill up fast. Bring your basic hand tools and friends to pitch in and help. I would add that you should also thouroughly prepare for your work and have sufficient and correct parts for your work.

As the roster fills up for each weekend, you should be able to check in to this post and get the roster of activity. I'll update this post as people sign up and drop out:

Saturday

Dr. Schlegs - replace ARB seal housing
CM Trailer bearings?

Sunday

nattybumppo - 4.11 diffs installation
Old40dog - front diff fluid change
CM Trailer bearings?

bgoodheart
01-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Sliders for the Taco! Ricardo, I may as well shoot for this one for some more welding. How about Saturday? :weld:

BJ

RicardoJM
01-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Sliders for the Taco! Ricardo, I may as well shoot for this one for some more welding. How about Saturday? :weld:

BJ

:thumb:

MDH33
02-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks for doing this Randy, very generous of you!

I wouldn't mind doing some work on my Hilux. I am thinking of bringing it to Moab this year. I won't be running trails, but I'll be hanging out, camping and volunteering. Does it still qualify? If so, I would like to fabricate some simple bed rails to attach my rack and RTT to. Also wouldn't mind doing some quick and dirty rust mitigation and swap on some new fenders. Maybe even rattle can some paint if that's something your shop can accommodate?

Air Randy
02-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Sure, just coordinate it with Ricardo so we can accomodate everyone!

RicardoJM
02-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Thanks for doing this Randy, very generous of you!

I wouldn't mind doing some work on my Hilux. I am thinking of bringing it to Moab this year. I won't be running trails, but I'll be hanging out, camping and volunteering. Does it still qualify? If so, I would like to fabricate some simple bed rails to attach my rack and RTT to. Also wouldn't mind doing some quick and dirty rust mitigation and swap on some new fenders. Maybe even rattle can some paint if that's something your shop can accommodate?

Sounds great, Rick changed out the front fenders on his (your old) Hilux and rattle canned them. The looked great. Randy rattle canned the Geko and it looked great as well. What day (or are you doing both) should I put you down for. Regarding the bed rails, do you have a design in mind?

MDH33
02-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Sounds great, Rick changed out the front fenders on his (your old) Hilux and rattle canned them. The looked great. Randy rattle canned the Geko and it looked great as well. What day (or are you doing both) should I put you down for. Regarding the bed rails, do you have a design in mind?

I could bring it down both days to get'r'dun. For the rails it will be pretty simple. Just some 48" lengths of 2" wide flat plate with a 1/4" rail of round stock welded to the edge. I'll drill some holes and bolt it to the bed rail. It will act like a rain gutter so I can attach my Yakima A-1 bars.

RockRunner
02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
I would like to swap body's on my rig and mount the suspension from my truck onto the new one. Then cut of all the body protection and put it on the new truck, once that is done I need to swap out the interior and build the rear inside of the truck.

I think that is it so LMK if we can do that in a day or two:D

Oh BTW I am serious about all that work too, just ask Randy.

RicardoJM
02-07-2012, 08:18 AM
I could bring it down both days to get'r'dun. For the rails it will be pretty simple. Just some 48" lengths of 2" wide flat plate with a 1/4" rail of round stock welded to the edge. I'll drill some holes and bolt it to the bed rail. It will act like a rain gutter so I can attach my Yakima A-1 bars.

Martin, you're down for both days.:thumb:

I would like to swap body's on my rig and mount the suspension from my truck onto the new one. Then cut of all the body protection and put it on the new truck, once that is done I need to swap out the interior and build the rear inside of the truck.

I think that is it so LMK if we can do that in a day or two:D

Oh BTW I am serious about all that work too, just ask Randy.
Maybe a bit much for two days:D, but your down for both.:thumb:

ajax
02-08-2012, 07:52 PM
can someone help me change my power steering pump? i can turn a wrench just never done it dont know how tough or where to start, so if someone can do a pump that be cool!
thanks ryan

Air Randy
02-08-2012, 08:34 PM
can someone help me change my power steering pump? i can turn a wrench just never done it dont know how tough or where to start, so if someone can do a pump that be cool!
thanks ryan

What type of rig? Stock engine?

ajax
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
What type of rig? Stock engine?

sorry it s a 94 fzj stock engine 1fz

RockRunner
02-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Ricardo, I was sort of kidding about the whole wrenching thing. It all depends on what I can do at home. Don't keep somebody out for me, I am still in limbo. Thanks for keeping me in the warm. I'll let you know ASAP if I do need some room.

RicardoJM
02-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Ricardo, I was sort of kidding about the whole wrenching thing. It all depends on what I can do at home. Don't keep somebody out for me, I am still in limbo. Thanks for keeping me in the warm. I'll let you know ASAP if I do need some room.

Whew:D. It seemed like a bunch of work, but the way you and Randy knocked out that insulation and wall, I figured it would be doable - but then again I'm still a novice wrench.

Inukshuk
02-09-2012, 09:10 AM
thanks ryan

Maybe if I can make it.

I have been thinking to put my newly acquired skill at R&R and rebuilding the 93-94 power steering pump to use. A misunderstood but rather simple part.

Will you be installing new or rebuild? The rebuild kit is mostly all o-rings. Pretty simple to do. I can see why a non-oem kit is probably just fine. The rebuild kit does not include the shaft bearing. Another member supplied that to me and I'm sure we can find the part number.

Tools required are snap ring pliers, 12-point 17mm socket, gear puller and impact wrench. 17mm flare wrench if replacing the high-pressure lines, and also a 16mm (or 5/8) if replacing with the gates hoses. I used a brass drift a few times on the rebuild and used my drill press to slide the bearings on and off the shaft and the shaft/bearing assembly into the housing. This all sounds more complex than it is.

Good info at:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/201920-power-steering-pump-hose-replacement-faq.html

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/199289-my-power-steering-leak.html#post2936959

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/98211-fj80-power-steering-pump-gearbox-rebuild.html

ajax
02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
was thinking of getting a new one< mine just drips pretty good out the rear i have replaced all my lines already so if u think i can do the rebuild and be fine works for me, is this somethin u can work thru with me? i dont have a prob getting a nother pump too found one pretty cheap

RockRunner
02-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Ajax,
just curious how you picked your forum name? To me Ajax means the Dutch footbal club in Amsterdam. I doubt it is the reason you picked that but curious none the less.

Air Randy
02-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Ajax,
just curious how you picked your forum name? To me Ajax means the Dutch footbal club in Amsterdam. I doubt it is the reason you picked that but curious none the less.

I thought Ajax was toilet bowl cleaner :lmao::lmao:

Hulk
02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I thought it was Asynchronous JavaScript and XML. See Ajax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_%28programming%29).

Inukshuk
02-10-2012, 01:12 AM
was thinking of getting a new one< mine just drips pretty good out the rear i have replaced all my lines already so if u think i can do the rebuild and be fine works for me, is this somethin u can work thru with me? i dont have a prob getting a nother pump too found one pretty cheap

Just fixing the drip is nothing more than one big o-ring on the rear cover.

Once out its an easy rebuild. If you were just replacing the back ring its a one-bannana job. The bearing is also probably fine since it is sealed but also spins slathered in between motor oil and PS fluid (actually separated from the PS fluid by a seal. The clip that holds the bearing to the shaft fought me a little.

ajax
02-10-2012, 12:16 PM
so i played select soccer for15 years so yea i know the sport, ajax was my last German shepherd male that passed away named after the greek half man half god ajax

RockRunner
02-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Cool, played for them till I moved here. Pretty cool name for a dog, should have thought about that for our pup.

nattybumppo
02-24-2012, 11:31 PM
May I use the lift on Sunday to install my 4.11 diffs in the 60? Maybe throw in an alignment while I'm at it? I might need a little help lifting and such since I recently had finger surgery and won't be 100% yet...

RicardoJM
02-25-2012, 08:36 AM
May I use the lift on Sunday to install my 4.11 diffs in the 60? Maybe throw in an alignment while I'm at it? I might need a little help lifting and such since I recently had finger surgery and won't be 100% yet...

I've put you down for it. :thumb:

Old40Dog
02-25-2012, 12:42 PM
I told Ricardo that'd I'd come down to help out one day. Sunday works for me, so I'd be glad to help out Sascha with the diffs. Also, want to change my front diff fluid again as it was like tar when changed a few weeks ago and needs it again before the pre-run.

bgoodheart
02-25-2012, 02:10 PM
Sliders are on, so I'll just plan on a couple of small welding projects and lending a hand on various stuff as needed.

MDH33
02-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Wife made plans for me Saturday so I'll just plan on Sunday and will focus on fabbing up my rack mount on the bed of the Hilux. :thumb:

Dr. Schlegs
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Ricardo, Let's finish the rear end on the 10th. We will see if we can get Randy to test his welding skills. ;)

ScaldedDog
02-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Ricardo, I mentioned in the #2 thread that I'd be over to help on this one. I've had a work conflict come up, but I'll plan to be there for session #4.

Mark

RicardoJM
02-27-2012, 08:43 AM
I told Ricardo that'd I'd come down to help out one day. Sunday works for me, so I'd be glad to help out Sascha with the diffs. Also, want to change my front diff fluid again as it was like tar when changed a few weeks ago and needs it again before the pre-run.
Most excellent Dave. I've put you on the schedule. :thumb:

Sliders are on, so I'll just plan on a couple of small welding projects and lending a hand on various stuff as needed.
Nice work. How about a pic of the sliders? I've pulled you from the schedule. :thumb:

Wife made plans for me Saturday so I'll just plan on Sunday and will focus on fabbing up my rack mount on the bed of the Hilux. :thumb:
Updates made to the schedule. :thumb:

Ricardo, Let's finish the rear end on the 10th. We will see if we can get Randy to test his welding skills. ;)
Is this replacing the seal housing in the ARB? You didn't specify a day, so I put you in on Saturday. If that's not correct, just let me know. :thumb:

Ricardo, I mentioned in the #2 thread that I'd be over to help on this one. I've had a work conflict come up, but I'll plan to be there for session #4.

Sounds good Mark. :D

Air Randy
02-27-2012, 09:09 AM

What needs to be welded?

Dr. Schlegs
02-27-2012, 10:44 AM
A custom pulley wheel, to run the far superior York Compressor vs. the inferior ARB compressor.

Air Randy
02-27-2012, 11:25 AM
A custom pulley wheel, to run the far superior York Compressor vs. the inferior ARB compressor.

Hmm, I don't remember ever agreeing to that. My concern would be getting the pulley perfectly centered and welding it strong while not making it be too much out of balance.

nakman
02-27-2012, 01:45 PM
I probably should just stay out of this, but I would agree, welding a pulley sounds like a disaster. Not sure how you'd make it concentric enough, and I wouldn't want to introduce vibration to the engine if it could at all be avoided. Seems like there are guys on mud doing OBA all the time, can't you still source a 3-groove pulley?
http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=587246&stc=1&d=1325878330

If not, what about running a larger AC belt around the York as well?

Dr. Schlegs
02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Nakman you can jump in anytime. I don't think I am able to get one any more, so this fab job was suggested as a fix.

rover67
02-27-2012, 05:29 PM
I've been able to weld pulleys before.. it helps to chuck them up on a lathe and do the setup and welding there. that keeps things nice and straight. Also make sure the machine is set up well and you get a GOOD bead.. like a nice professional looking burned in bead. also starting with a doner that is machined to press on tight helps a ton.

then you can also turn down any big high spots on the weld to help keep it somewhat balanced (like really high spots.. like the stop and start)

I don't have a lathe or I'd volunteer...

Air Randy
02-28-2012, 03:24 PM
I've been able to weld pulleys before.. it helps to chuck them up on a lathe and do the setup and welding there. that keeps things nice and straight. Also make sure the machine is set up well and you get a GOOD bead.. like a nice professional looking burned in bead. also starting with a doner that is machined to press on tight helps a ton.

then you can also turn down any big high spots on the weld to help keep it somewhat balanced (like really high spots.. like the stop and start)

I don't have a lathe or I'd volunteer...

Those are exactly all of the concerns I would have because I don't have a lathe either.

MDH33
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey Ricardo and Randy, I have to go in for unplanned oral surgery next week and I'll probably still be sore and medicated next weekend, so I'm going to have to postpone the work on my truck. Thanks again for organizing this!:thumb:

RicardoJM
03-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Hey Ricardo and Randy, I have to go in for unplanned oral surgery next week and I'll probably still be sore and medicated next weekend, so I'm going to have to postpone the work on my truck. Thanks again for organizing this!:thumb:

I hope it is nothing serious and goes smooth. There is another weekend coming up in April as well. List has been updated:thumb:.

MDH33
03-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I hope it is nothing serious and goes smooth. There is another weekend coming up in April as well. List has been updated:thumb:.

Thanks Ricardo. I have a wisdom tooth I should have had removed when I was teenager which is now impacted and infected. They are going to have to cut away some of my mandible to get it out and the doc says it won't be pleasant. I hope it goes smoothly too. Add to that being unemployed with no insurance and trying to recoup the losses from having our Tacoma totaled, I'm not having a great month. :hill:

Old40Dog
03-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks Ricardo. I have a wisdom tooth I should have had removed when I was teenager which is now impacted and infected. They are going to have to cut away some of my mandible to get it out and the doc says it won't be pleasant. I hope it goes smoothly too. Add to that being unemployed with no insurance and trying to recoup the losses from having our Tacoma totaled, I'm not having a great month. :hill:

Sorry to hear, Martin. Ouch, Ouch and Ouch!

Ricardo, the club trailer will there for an axle service. Jut not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday at this point. But we will need some help with the service too. Any volunteers?

RicardoJM
03-05-2012, 08:38 AM
... Ricardo, the club trailer will there for an axle service. Jut not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday at this point. But we will need some help with the service too. Any volunteers?

I've put it on both days activities. It would be great to have a volunteer sign up specifically for the job:D.

clay
03-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Hi Ricardo - I plan on coming down on Sunday with the 62 (just to help out with what's on the agenda (I haven't planned out any projects for mine yet) - may I have the address? BTW - We met at the meeting last night - thanks - clay

RicardoJM
03-09-2012, 09:06 AM
Hi Ricardo - I plan on coming down on Sunday with the 62 (just to help out with what's on the agenda (I haven't planned out any projects for mine yet) - may I have the address? BTW - We met at the meeting last night - thanks - clay

Most excellent - glad to see you also got a forum handle that is easy to remember:D.

RicardoJM
03-09-2012, 09:07 AM
if you have GPS the address is: 1376 Columbine Drive, Franktown, CO 80116. Driving directions: If you are coming from the North you can come down Hwy 83 through Parker to the intersection of Hwy 83 and Hwy 86. If you are coming from the South you can come up Hwy 83 to the intersection of Hwy 83 and Hwy 86. Or you can come via I-25 to Castle Rock and take the Meadows exit, go East until you hit Hwy 86 then go left until you hit the intersection of Hwy 83 & Hwy 86. From that point, continue East on Hwy 86 until you see mile marker 10, just past that there is a left turn into the Bannockburn subdivision (stone sign) on Deerpath Drive. Go to the first left turn (where it changes from pavement to gravel) and turn left on Deerpath Trail. Go to the first right turn and turn right on Columbine drive. We are the first driveway on the right, entrance through white 3 rail fence. Once you turn into the driveway take the gravel drive to the left, it will loop behind the house to the shop.

It's going to get crowded so I would ask that everyone leave their dogs at home to keep the pandemonium down.

Air Randy
03-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Update: If you are going to bring supplies, PLEASE DO NOT BRING HAND CLEANER, we have enough already to wash the entire world's hands until the 2nd coming.............:D

Paper towels are always good and some heavy duty trash bags/barrel liners would be good, that will fit a 35 gallon trash barrel.

I may have to run some errands tomorrow and bail out around 3pm, so make sure you bring some helpers with you.

Dr. Schlegs
03-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Bring hand cleaner. Got it.

cajunrock
04-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I just picked up a '77 40 and I noticed that the front wheel bearings are leaking. More on the right than left, but still the same. I heard that the Marlin front axle over haul set is pretty good and the $ wasn't bad ($114. 00 for the Marlin decal w/ a free wheel bearing overhaul kit) :) I am in the Parker area so it would be a close ride. I do realize the CM12 is fast approaching and those RS members get priority. I would be honored to learn more about my 40 for future home repairs. (Not sure how involved this is but a local shop quoted about 9-10 hrs $800+ ) sunday the 15th is my only free day. I also am having a gas tank issue that I hope to resolve. (Wife doesn't like to see the $4.00 gold leaking in the drive way)

nakman
05-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Nakman you can jump in anytime. I don't think I am able to get one any more, so this fab job was suggested as a fix.

Hey Schlegs, there's a guy on Mud who has resurrected these pulleys, did you see that? Jump in there, dude.. :thumb: