PDA

View Full Version : CM2012 Wrenching Session #4

RicardoJM
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
CM2012 Wrenching Session #4

DATE: Apr 14-15
WHEN: 8:00 am to ...
WHERE: Air Randy's Shop - Franktown

If you are interested in doing some work on your rig, post up in this thread. Make sure to include the model, year of your truck and what work you will be doing. Please also indicate if you are experienced, novice or clueless about the work you intend to do. If you are novice and clueless, it would be good to arrange for an experienced wrench to join you. You can use this thread, PM or the Club Roster to make the connection - but to be clear you are responsible for knowing your limits.

The shop is heated, well equipped and there has been a bunch of cruiser work accomplished in there; tune ups, fluid exchanges, front end rebuilds, gear installs, engine/drive train swaps, lift installations, etc.

From a logistics perspective, we'll probably all pitch in and order pizza for lunch.

Randy's requests are very straight forward and important, so I'll re-iterate them here. Bring all consumables with you (oil, beer, gear lube, beer, grease, beer, paper towels, beer, etc). Also, be prepared to take your used oil and old parts with you. We have an oil drain tank but it will fill up fast. Bring your basic hand tools and friends to pitch in and help. I would add that you should also thouroughly prepare for your work and have sufficient and correct parts for your work.

As the roster fills up for each weekend, you should be able to check in to this post and get the roster of activity. I'll update this post as people sign up and drop out:

Saturday

oldtan40 - 69 FJ40 replace rod bearings and possibly mains as well
FJBrady - CB radio tuning

Sunday

cajunrock - 77 FJ40 front axle service

cajunrock
04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I just posted up in session #3 and I guess I ment for it to be in session #4. '77 40 mostly stock with mostly mods... The frt axle seals are leaking, both side. I just got the Marlin bearing kit. I would be in for the Sunday 4/15 session if possible. If this is an all day evolution, then I could wait until after all the CM12 guys get prepped.
I have been away from club activities for some time and need to jump back in with both feet and all 4wheels!!
Thanks,
George

RicardoJM
04-02-2012, 07:41 AM
I just posted up in session #3 and I guess I ment for it to be in session #4. '77 40 mostly stock with mostly mods... The frt axle seals are leaking, both side. I just got the Marlin bearing kit. I would be in for the Sunday 4/15 session if possible. If this is an all day evolution, then I could wait until after all the CM12 guys get prepped.
I have been away from club activities for some time and need to jump back in with both feet and all 4wheels!!
Thanks,
George

George, I've got you in for Sunday.

cajunrock
04-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Thank you so much! From the other wrenching sessions, it looks like I will need to supply fluids/grease s, BEER, "shop towels", and NO dogs. :P What is the best site to get the appx amount of axle grease and diff oil? The bearing kit should be complete. I saw directions in session#3 Thanks again!!
George

cajunrock
04-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I have kids soccer practice from 5-6pm on Wed 4/4/12. I will try to make the monthly meeting at 7pm.
Thanks again, G

RicardoJM
04-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Thank you so much! From the other wrenching sessions, it looks like I will need to supply fluids/grease s, BEER, "shop towels", and NO dogs. :P What is the best site to get the appx amount of axle grease and diff oil? The bearing kit should be complete. I saw directions in session#3 Thanks again!!
George

For the front diff you will need 2.6 quarts. This link (http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/175253-40-series-fluid-capacities.html) on MUD is a good reference for fluid quantities on an FJ40.

The grease can be obtained at any of the autoparts shop. I recommend getting a tub, not the small tub that fits in the palm of your hand but the bigger tub that is next to the small tub on the shelf. :thumb:

I have kids soccer practice from 5-6pm on Wed 4/4/12. I will try to make the monthly meeting at 7pm.
Thanks again, G

Cool, look forward to seeing/meeting you there:cheers:

cajunrock
04-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Thanks, I was looking on the MUDD site and found same. What else should I plan on having ready? AC (anything cold) Beer or is there a shop favorite?

J Kimmel
04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Randy do you have a parts cleaner or the like? My t-cases need to be pulled cleaned and re-sealed...thinking about it vs just tearing them down here on my own.

loudbay
04-03-2012, 09:24 PM
These wrenching sessions are really inspiring... I'm honestly honored to have met a group of guys that go through this kind of trouble for each others trucks.

That being said, I'm not prepared to tackle any big projects on my trucks right now, but I'd be happy to come lend a hand, I'm pretty experienced but new to cruisers. Anyone needing a hand post up here and I'll make sure to be there.

Cheers,
Matt

RicardoJM
04-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Randy do you have a parts cleaner or the like? My t-cases need to be pulled cleaned and re-sealed...thinking about it vs just tearing them down here on my own.

The shop does not have parts cleaner proper. We've not had anything needing very intensive cleaning. TimzToy has offered us the use of his parts cleaner for a wrenching session if we need it.

These wrenching sessions are really inspiring... I'm honestly honored to have met a group of guys that go through this kind of trouble for each others trucks.

That being said, I'm not prepared to tackle any big projects on my trucks right now, but I'd be happy to come lend a hand, I'm pretty experienced but new to cruisers. Anyone needing a hand post up here and I'll make sure to be there. ...

It would be great to have another pair of experienced hands on site :D and look forward to having you join us. The sessions are all about learning and having well maintaned rigs. Even if all your rig needs is an oil change, bring the parts down and do it.

loudbay
04-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Sounds good Ricardo, I don't need anything done, but I'd love to get my truck on a lift and take a peak. I've got some drips forming, and three extra sets of eyes will be welcome. I'll plan on coming Saturday and lending a hand. If anyone needs help Sunday, I could swap days, just let me know. Is there a post with the shop address?
Cheers, Matt

RicardoJM
04-04-2012, 08:42 AM
if you have GPS the address is: 1376 Columbine Drive, Franktown, CO 80116. Driving directions: If you are coming from the North you can come down Hwy 83 through Parker to the intersection of Hwy 83 and Hwy 86. If you are coming from the South you can come up Hwy 83 to the intersection of Hwy 83 and Hwy 86. Or you can come via I-25 to Castle Rock and take the Meadows exit, go East until you hit Hwy 86 then go left until you hit the intersection of Hwy 83 & Hwy 86. From that point, continue East on Hwy 86 until you see mile marker 10, just past that there is a left turn into the Bannockburn subdivision (stone sign) on Deerpath Drive. Go to the first left turn (where it changes from pavement to gravel) and turn left on Deerpath Trail. Go to the first right turn and turn right on Columbine drive. We are the first driveway on the right, entrance through white 3 rail fence. Once you turn into the driveway take the gravel drive to the left, it will loop behind the house to the shop.

It's going to get crowded so I would ask that everyone leave their dogs at home to keep the pandemonium down.

Air Randy
04-04-2012, 03:18 PM

I use to have one of those Harbor Freight units but they don't work worth a darn and you either have to dump all the fluid out after each use or they represent a big fire hazard. I'm waiting until I can find one of the real Safety-Kleen units that sits on a 35 gallon drum, filters the fluid and uses the good solvent that isn't flammable.

In the meantime I have a large cattle feed pail that is wider than it is tall, so lots of access space. I have a 5 gallon jug of kerosene/diesel mix I pour in there and it does a pretty good job of cleaning things up. You're welcome to join the party and use that if you want.

J Kimmel
04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
sounds good, have to figure out my sunday riding situation but might possibly make the haul down just to get it done :)

t-cases and front diff...depending on time rear wheel seals, but those are all pretty easy :)

RicardoJM
04-05-2012, 08:05 AM
sounds good, have to figure out my sunday riding situation but might possibly make the haul down just to get it done :)

t-cases and front diff...depending on time rear wheel seals, but those are all pretty easy :)

I've put you down for Sunday but as I read, are you looking to to the pull off and cleaning on Saturday and then the re-installation on Sunday? If that's the case, I'll update to put you on both days.

RicardoJM
04-05-2012, 08:22 AM
George, it was nice to meet you last night. Based upon our conversation, this is (http://www.marlincrawler.com/axle/front-axle-parts/front-service-parts/service-front-hilux/front-wheel-bearing-kit) the front bearing kit on Marlin. Is this what you have?

J Kimmel
04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I've put you down for Sunday but as I read, are you looking to to the pull off and cleaning on Saturday and then the re-installation on Sunday? If that's the case, I'll update to put you on both days.

nah, jam it all back together in a day :) Its not bad, hardest part is the 3 or so bolts that you can only get 1/8 of a turn on :)

cajunrock
04-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Ricardo, It is the Knuckle Service Kit. The next "up" service kit. The $99 jobby

Good to meet you too! CM12 is a maybe for me. Daughter's 7th B-day that wknd.
Might try an overnighter. See you on Sunday the 15th
Geo

RicardoJM
04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Got it. The knuckle kit includes everything needed to address your inner axle seal leak. We can take a look at the axle and if the trunion bearings are ok, we'll just take care of the inner axle seals on both sides. If the trunions are an issue, we focus on getting all the way through the service on one side and then take care of the other side as a follow-up:D.

JadeRunner
04-05-2012, 04:43 PM
As a way to say thanks to Randy for hosting and working on people rigs and to Ricardo for all his organizational effort and hard work the club will be paying Randy's unpaid dues and will be sending Ricardo a 50.00 gift card. Great work guys. :thumb:

rover67
04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
As a way to say thanks to Randy for hosting and working on people rigs and to Ricardo for all his organizational effort and hard work the club will be paying Randy's unpaid dues and will be sending Ricardo a 50.00 gift card. Great work guys. :thumb:

great idea! thanks guys!! :thumb::thumb:

Air Randy
04-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Thank you! Certainly not expected but always appreciated!

RicardoJM
04-06-2012, 07:20 AM

Wow, that is unexpected - thank you. Straight up, I bought my FJ40 to learn more about working on vehicles and this club has been very generous with knowledge and insight that has helped me learn. It brings me pleasure to "pay it forward".

Oldtan40
04-08-2012, 04:58 PM
I have a 1969 FJ40 with a '72 F engine in it. Looking to roll in new rod bearings and possibly main bearings. I've wrenched on my cruiser and motorcycles for many moons but swapping bearings will be a first.

Thanks,

Tim

RicardoJM
04-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I have a 1969 FJ40 with a '72 F engine in it. Looking to roll in new rod bearings and possibly main bearings. I've wrenched on my cruiser and motorcycles for many moons but swapping bearings will be a first.

Thanks,

Tim

I've got you down for Saturday. We can swap my bumper on some evening this week and use the tow bar to get it out there.

Oldtan40
04-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Sounds good, thanks Ricardo. I'll stop by Phil's this week to have him measure and order the bearings. The con rod shells have some markings stamped on them including the letters "STD" and one of the main shells has "SS". "Standard" seems logical for the STD abbrev. but not sure what SS might be.

FJBRADY
04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Hey Ricardo,

If there is room put me down for Saturday I need to tune my CB radio, you know how to do that right? :hill:

:)

RicardoJM
04-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Hey Ricardo,

If there is room put me down for Saturday I need to tune my CB radio, you know how to do that right? :hill:

:)

Done and after Saturday you will know how to do this as well. :thumb:

ScaldedDog
04-09-2012, 09:17 AM
How's the weekend looking for help? I don't claim any special skills for the projects on the list, but I'm happy to come out if another set of hands would help.

Mark

RicardoJM
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
How's the weekend looking for help? I don't claim any special skills for the projects on the list, but I'm happy to come out if another set of hands would help.

Mark

Another set of hands is always welcome. Of the two days, Sunday is the the more busy where extra hands will make a difference.

ScaldedDog
04-09-2012, 10:26 AM
I'll be there Sunday, then. It's about time I helped Jeremy work on his junk, instead of the other way around...

Mark

J Kimmel
04-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I'll be there Sunday, then. It's about time I helped Jeremy work on his junk, instead of the other way around...

Mark

I'll be there and done Saturday :)

RicardoJM
04-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I'll be there and done Saturday :)

I may have messed up:o because I put you on the schedule for Sunday. Which day are you going to be there?

J Kimmel
04-09-2012, 04:02 PM
saturday :)

if you're full, trust me, its no big deal if there isn't room. I'd rather those who need the help get it. I can do it on my own just fine, its the motivation I'm lacking ;)

RicardoJM
04-10-2012, 07:18 AM
saturday :)

if you're full, trust me, its no big deal if there isn't room. I'd rather those who need the help get it. I can do it on my own just fine, its the motivation I'm lacking ;)

OK, I've updated the first post of this thread to reflect Saturday.

RockRunner
04-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Just need to wire and fill all the fluids on my truck. Maybe check the fluids in the diffs. Jeremy an I should have the motor in place tonight and the drive train behind it. My biggest problem will be the vacuum lines, no idea where they go. Not sure yet if I will have to work either day but could use the help.

RicardoJM
04-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Just need to wire and fill all the fluids on my truck. Maybe check the fluids in the diffs. Jeremy an I should have the motor in place tonight and the drive train behind it. My biggest problem will be the vacuum lines, no idea where they go. Not sure yet if I will have to work either day but could use the help.

Can you get it on the trailer and bring it on down?

FJBRADY
04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=RicardoJM;200967]CM2012 Wrenching Session #4

Saturday

JKimmel - t-cases and front diff

I call dibs on the lift......:guapo:

RicardoJM
04-10-2012, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=RicardoJM;200967]CM2012 Wrenching Session #4

Saturday

JKimmel - t-cases and front diff

I call dibs on the lift......:guapo:

:lmao: - You can call it, but I'm not sure you want to have to climb a latter to tweak your antenna.

RockRunner
04-10-2012, 05:17 PM
Can you get it on the trailer and bring it on down?

That is the plan, so far it is looking like Sunday but am trying to get Saturday covered too so I can work on it both days.

And Steve I need the lift so I can check the air in my tires :rolleyes:

J Kimmel
04-11-2012, 07:58 PM
looks like I'm out kids :(

I've got some other weekend stuff that popped up :) its a bummer but hey I dig finishing at 3 am before Moab :D

RicardoJM
04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
looks like I'm out kids :(

I've got some other weekend stuff that popped up :) its a bummer but hey I dig finishing at 3 am before Moab :D

Bummer. I've updated the schedule.

ScaldedDog
04-13-2012, 06:35 PM
So is Tom making it out tomorrow? Trying to figure out my schedule for the weekend.

Mark

RockRunner
04-13-2012, 08:28 PM
So is Tom making it out tomorrow? Trying to figure out my schedule for the weekend.

Mark

I am going to come out Sunday, found out late today that one of the girls is going to go to her daughters school thing. Are you coming Sunday Mark?

ScaldedDog
04-13-2012, 09:31 PM
I am going to come out Sunday, found out late today that one of the girls is going to go to her daughters school thing. Are you coming Sunday Mark?

Yeah I can, though not early. I'm interested in your swap.

Mark

RockRunner
04-14-2012, 07:33 AM
For me it is going to depend on what I can get done today. Mark give me a call when you get a chance. I think you have my number but I will pm it to you also.

RockRunner
04-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Not sure if I am going to make it or not. Trying to finish up a job so I will have money to buy new parts;) I will post up later today to confirm. Real bummer I would like to have had some help but :(

cajunrock
04-18-2012, 08:33 AM
What a day it was Sunday at wrenching session #4! I can't thank Randy, Richardo and Tim for all the help with the axle seals on the 40. Elbow deep in good times, new friends, beer and grease! She runs like a champ! Just need to figure out the 6 pt cage and the frt hard doors now.
Thanks again,
George