PDA

View Full Version : Grille metal idea

SteveH
01-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Check out this NASCAR Camry grille. While I don't care much for the current Toyota emblem, having your grille metal be punched with it looks pretty neat.

I'm trying to think of a cool metal pattern for an FJ40... and then find someone with a software driven plasma cutter...

More info on the Camry here - how about a 6 speed manual, v8, RWD, lots of horsepower?
http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/inventory/2010-Toyota-Camry/132189

Corbet
01-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Now that's a Camry I could drive, well 6 months out of the year anyway.

frontrange
01-22-2012, 08:53 PM
I have a CNC plasma, its really not good for small detailed patterns like that.

Old40Dog
01-22-2012, 11:43 PM
Check out this NASCAR Camry grille. While I don't care much for the current Toyota emblem, having your grille metal be punched with it looks pretty neat.

I'm trying to think of a cool metal pattern for an FJ40... and then find someone with a software driven plasma cutter...

More info on the Camry here - how about a 6 speed manual, v8, RWD, lots of horsepower?
http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/inventory/2010-Toyota-Camry/132189

And a steal at only $300K.....

SteveH
01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
I was afraid that a CNC plasma might not do that job well, but I just think that custom-stamped grille metal would be trick. Thanks!

frontrange
01-25-2012, 04:16 PM
I'd guess that was laser cut, not really sure. If i were going to reproduce that grill Id cnc a graphite electrode and use plunge EDM. There is a multi-gas high definition plasma system, but I haven't seen it work yet. I just finished a couple of upgrades to my table that might get me close to that since I can now cut the metal under water to keep the real thin stuff from warping, but very small patterns are still real tough to do with plasma since the gas stream sometimes has a mind of its own in tight curves.

rover67
01-25-2012, 04:39 PM
I'd guess that was laser cut, not really sure. If i were going to reproduce that grill Id cnc a graphite electrode and use plunge EDM. There is a multi-gas high definition plasma system, but I haven't seen it work yet. I just finished a couple of upgrades to my table that might get me close to that since I can now cut the metal under water to keep the real thin stuff from warping, but very small patterns are still real tough to do with plasma since the gas stream sometimes has a mind of its own in tight curves.

Plunge EDM? dang, that sounds like a lot of work and expensive (time)

Why not a water jet or laser? I guess the pattern is tiny.

frontrange
01-25-2012, 04:57 PM
I said if "I" was going to do it, meaning based on the machines I have. Plunging EDM would take a long while, but it can run while you are doing something else.

Not sure if you can water jet sheet metal, all the machines I've seen are for thicker plate. If I had CNC laser, I guess that would be a no brainer.