PDA

View Full Version : Kokopelli Team Members for 2012 - place to gather

rhyary
01-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Hey,
I did the Koko last year and I had such a great time, that I registered again this year. It would be great if those going this year to get acquainted in advance as we will be spending three days together and in the last day probably sharing fuel.

We had to pass jerrican around to make sure everyone made it to Moab on the last day

Rami

SteveS
01-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Hey,
I did the Koko last year and I had such a great time, that I registered again this year. It would be great if those going this year to get acquainted in advance as we will be spending three days together and in the last day probably sharing fuel.

We had to pass jerrican around to make sure everyone made it to Moab on the last day

Rami

It'll be cool to wheel with you Rami, only hung out in the field @ Daves
Please bring extra coffee :D

Steve

rhyary
01-24-2012, 02:44 PM
There will be turkish Coffee!

RyanR
01-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Hey guys! I'll be joining you this year, I'll second the request for lots of Java! This is my first time at Cruise Moab and I'm very excited to have snagged a spot on this run. Let me know if there is anything I can contribute or bring on the trail. I have a lot of gear and some extras if anyone is lacking anything.

alpendubber
01-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Yup, I'll be there!! :beer:

Chuck Wagon
01-24-2012, 09:04 PM
I will be there, pretty stoked!! I hope my 38gal fuel tank will be enough. I hope my buddy doesnt back out. I might be solo.

Rami

Small world. I grew up off of exit 12 on 87N. Look forward to meeting everyone

Doc McCoy
01-25-2012, 06:49 AM
^ 38 might be enough. Good idea to bring at least one Jerry. The Taco needed two full fills last year.

You guys have a great time. Obligations are keeping me away from the Koko this year but I hope to see all of ya during the single day runs.

powderpig
01-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Hello Chuck Wagon, What kind of Vehicle is this 38 gallon tank in and what kind of engine/ fuel ecomany do you get going any where from 5 mph to 30 mph. The Trail is aprox 150 miles long.
CM comittiee will be running fuel out to Onion Creek camp ground where we will be staying wed night. The will be bring out 5 gallon can based on talking to them on Wed morning. The first part of the trip uses less fuel, and the second part of the trip required more fuel.
I still had some fuel at the end of the trip, but I have the capacity to carry 65 gallons if I fill up.

RyanR
01-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Holy crap! 65 gallons! Is this your ride?

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7169/6760436179_ca43f8db61.jpg

:lmao: I guess I will need a few Jerry cans and a roof mount for them.

rhyary
01-25-2012, 12:35 PM
I drive 1996 LX450 with 4.88 and 35". 7000Lbs. I get about 11 or 12MPG on the road.
I started from full tank (22GAL) at the closest filling station
I was carrying two 5GAL (so 10Gal), used both jerrycans to fillup the second night.
I drove into Moab on Thu with the fuel light on.

I don't remember exactly how much I put in once I got into Moab, but IIRC it was 20Gal.

Hi Robbie

RyanR
01-25-2012, 02:50 PM
I drive 1996 LX450 with 4.88 and 35". 7000Lbs. I get about 11 or 12MPG on the road.
I started from full tank (22GAL) at the closest filling station
I was carrying two 5GAL (so 10Gal), used both jerrycans to fillup the second night.
I drove into Moab on Thu with the fuel light on.

I don't remember exactly how much I put in once I got into Moab, but IIRC it was 20Gal.

Hi Robbie

Thanks for the info. Knowing peoples MPG and capacity makes it easier to judge how much I'll need. My stock tank is a claimed 19 gallons, I've never pushed the range to see where it runs dry though. When the gas light comes on it takes 16 gallons. I usually see between 15-17MPG. I was planning on bringing two 5 gallon can's with me. My rough guesstimations say I should be OK on range.

rover67
01-25-2012, 03:14 PM
On trail fuel economy can be affected in LARGE part by how you wheel and how hard you drive.

My FJ60 with v8 gets me 16.5MPG on the hwy going 70 and loaded (7000lbs). Going 85 I get more like 12 or 13MPG. Everybody knows the differences there... no real shocker. So, with my 40 gallon tank that's anywhere from 630 to 450 miles on a tank till I am sitting on about 2 gallons in the tank left. Not a bad range one might think even with the hammer down...

BUT...

On the trail?

I typically see 9-10MPG if I am doing casual expedition type travel. The type where you cruise along at 30mph or so and have an obstacle every hour or so you might have to slip into low range for... BUT... if I drive like I am "trying to catch up" my economy can drop to as low as 6-7MPG.

So, that means my range goes anywhere from 260 miles to 380 miles depending on how I drive. So, my point? know what your range is based on how you drive, and drive appropriately so you don't burn a ton of gas when you might need it later. Also, a heavy foot WILL use a lot more fuel. Driving smoothly (not necessarily slowly) will help mileage off road just like it does on road.

Doc McCoy
01-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Hello Chuck Wagon, What kind of Vehicle is this 38 gallon tank in and what kind of engine/ fuel ecomany do you get going any where from 5 mph to 30 mph. The Trail is aprox 150 miles long.
CM comittiee will be running fuel out to Onion Creek camp ground where we will be staying wed night. The will be bring out 5 gallon can based on talking to them on Wed morning. The first part of the trip uses less fuel, and the second part of the trip required more fuel.
I still had some fuel at the end of the trip, but I have the capacity to carry 65 gallons if I fill up.

Actually that might have been where Nathan and I got ourselves into trouble. The trail was 150 miles (plus whatever backtracking we did for camping) but I think Nathan and I burned through quite a bit of fuel in both our rides on the way to the trailhead. Close to 100 miles of faster than posted driving to make the tech inspection (we were still a little late). Oops.

alpendubber
01-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Having a bit of a panic attack! When I registered, the site said 17 available spots, right after RyanR registered, literally on the same computer. This was approx 12:40 on Tuesday. I received an email confirmation of payment but no confirmation of my trail selection!

I have a call and email to Dave about the issue, hopefully there is no problem.

:confused::confused:

powderpig
01-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Yes Nathan, I think that is where you got in trouble, drive your cool Taco very fast trying to get no where fast:D

Anyhow, It is a funny thing, I think the first part of the trail on may reach the 8-10 mpg figure. On the second 1/2, I think most will get about 5-7 mpg. But the first part is shorter than the second 1/2 by a bit, but a whole bunch more up and down and obsticals and spending time in low range(which will eat fuel faster.
So I would not be shy in asking for fuel on Wed night if one is going on this trip.

I drive a 80 series with a 24.5 main and a beat up 44 gallon aux in the rear. that now holds about 41-42 gallons. Nice to have that type of range, be it on the highway or offroad.

Hello to you as well Rami.

:cheers:

alpendubber
01-25-2012, 07:58 PM
I just registered again, paid twice now, but received my confirmation of 2nd payment and trails. I don't know what happened the first time around....now I'm going to work on getting a refund for the first.

:rant::rant:

Chuck Wagon
01-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Powder

89' 62 with a 5.3, 460le. i get around the same MPG as "rover". i will bring an extra can for sure. I just thought that 38gals would be enough. Still stoked!

rhyary
01-25-2012, 09:07 PM
So Marco,
You in on the Koko2012 or just dropping in for advise?

rhyary
01-25-2012, 09:15 PM

Hey Robbie,
That would be cheating. If true, keep it hash-hash.
Also don't let anyone know about the lions tigers and bears.

VBRoamer
01-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I've signed up for Koko. I'll be pulling my (newly trail ready) Kamparoo with 60 gallons (28+32) on board the 97LX. Looking forward to reconnecting with several of you and meeting some new overlanders.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-26-2012, 11:10 AM
What size is your trailer. length, etc.. Some of this trail will be extremely difficult with a trailer.

rover67
01-26-2012, 11:44 AM
So Marco,
You in on the Koko2012 or just dropping in for advise?

Just dropping in :)

let's find some time in moab!

rhyary
01-26-2012, 12:19 PM
I've signed up for Koko. I'll be pulling my (newly trail ready) Kamparoo with 60 gallons (28+32) on board the 97LX. Looking forward to reconnecting with several of you and meeting some new overlanders.

Hi Vince,
Are you bringing enough water so we can try my new On Board Hot Water?
http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/543930-my-hot-water-project.html

Doc McCoy
01-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Are you guys gonna cross Dolores this year?

GH7TbZe-gvc

Sorry, goofy little vid. I'm jealous of you guys, good trip last year.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-26-2012, 08:55 PM
We will miss our Canadian duo this year! Maybe next year?

Enigma
01-27-2012, 10:03 AM
You will have a couple Canucks on this run. I've signed up for the Kokopelli and I believe at least one other club member as well.

See ya there!

alpendubber
01-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Here's what it looked like two weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joNeZ5UjMnM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

VBRoamer
01-28-2012, 04:39 PM
There's a 16 gallon water tank to share, so I think so.

VBRoamer
01-28-2012, 04:42 PM
The trailer is 8' + 5' tongue. It follows the vehicle track closely. Any more info on what to expect?

Cruisin Off Road
01-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi All,

Jason here in Canada. I'm in the same club as Enigma (Jeff). Really looking forward to this, as I'm really keen to spend some camping time away from it all, rather than just at the campground in town. This is our second Cruise Moab, and I've been looking forward to this trip since getting home last year!

I'll be travelling with my brother, Daryl, and my daughter, Julia. I'm driving JDM 80 series. Diesel powered so range isn't such a concern for me. Daryl and I will probably alternate some time on a cross country bike riding along with the group.

There has been some discussion on carrying enough fuel for the trip. If anyone is interested I can get a few Scepter military fuel cans and bring them down. I know they're hard to get in the US, but I have a good source for them close to me.

Jason

BudKing
01-29-2012, 06:50 PM
If anyone is interested I can get a few Scepter military fuel cans and bring them down. I know they're hard to get in the US, but I have a good source for them close to me.

Jason

Pm sent

RyanR
01-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi All,

Jason here in Canada. I'm in the same club as Enigma (Jeff). Really looking forward to this, as I'm really keen to spend some camping time away from it all, rather than just at the campground in town. This is our second Cruise Moab, and I've been looking forward to this trip since getting home last year!

I'll be travelling with my brother, Daryl, and my daughter, Julia. I'm driving JDM 80 series. Diesel powered so range isn't such a concern for me. Daryl and I will probably alternate some time on a cross country bike riding along with the group.

There has been some discussion on carrying enough fuel for the trip. If anyone is interested I can get a few Scepter military fuel cans and bring them down. I know they're hard to get in the US, but I have a good source for them close to me.

Jason

I have been pulling my hair out all week trying to find these cans in the US. If you are willing to bring some down you sir would be my hero! :bowdown:

EDIT: I am happy to compensate you for your troubles of course

boydmick
01-30-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm in for Koko this year! Can't wait.

I'm still trying to get a feeling for how much extra gas to bring. Robbie, any help? Do you remember my white S/C 80 on 35s with 4:88s? If you don't remember the truck you probably remember Cindy (AKA "Spindy").

powderpig
01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
Well Boyd: You may need to bring even more fuel than any one else, just due to the S/C. :D
Really, you should consume just about the same as the rest of the 80 series unless you are spinning the tires in the dirt. I would suggest carry at least on can of fuel with you. then make sure you are filled up on Wed night with the fuel that comes out from Moab.
Yes I remember, just as well as Cindy. Looking forward to seeing the two of you on the trail.
As well as meeting all the new people that I have never met.
Robbie

boydmick
01-30-2012, 02:59 PM
OK, that's not too bad. I was guessing 2 extra cans and no tire spinning (if I can help it:rolleyes:).

I'm sorry to say that Cindy won't be coming (but I will have the ingredients for the "spindy":boozer:)

I'm looking forward to it already!

Cruisin Off Road
01-30-2012, 10:18 PM
I have been pulling my hair out all week trying to find these cans in the US. If you are willing to bring some down you sir would be my hero! :bowdown:

EDIT: I am happy to compensate you for your troubles of course

Ryan,

No problem. I figure I've got room on the roof for about 8. So far 2 are spoken for. Shall I put your name on some? How many?

Jason

RyanR
01-30-2012, 10:59 PM
If you have the room I will take 2. Thanks again!

Old40Dog
01-30-2012, 11:50 PM
The trailer is 8' + 5' tongue. It follows the vehicle track closely. Any more info on what to expect?

Vince, did you get the axle issue fixed too? Could be a couple of tough spots with a trailer. Robbie knows your rig and I'm sure he'll let you know if he sees an issue with the trailer. Since I've already seen it, I know its trail ready, definitely not a pop-up camper for sure!

Inukshuk
01-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Vince, did you get the axle issue fixed too? Could be a couple of tough spots with a trailer. Robbie knows your rig and I'm sure he'll let you know if he sees an issue with the trailer. Since I've already seen it, I know its trail ready, definitely not a pop-up camper for sure!

that picture brings good memories. I think I was driving there. :thumb:

Cruisin Off Road
01-31-2012, 12:19 AM
If you have the room I will take 2. Thanks again!

Two coming for you, Ryan. I'll bring you a spout too.

Still got room for a few more.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-31-2012, 12:35 AM
If you have room Jason, I will take one. Green right, gas, red washer?

Caribou Sandstorm
01-31-2012, 12:38 AM

I agree with Dave, your trailer looks sea worthy enough for the Koko. It has been done before with off-road trailers like yours.

Cruisin Off Road
01-31-2012, 08:45 AM
If you have room Jason, I will take one. Green right, gas, red washer?

No problem, Chris. Need a pour spout too?

Jason

Caribou Sandstorm
01-31-2012, 09:13 AM
No problem, Chris. Need a pour spout too?

Jason

I am good on those, although neither of the 2 I have are that great.

What kind can you get?

RyanR
01-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Two coming for you, Ryan. I'll bring you a spout too.

Still got room for a few more.

Much appreciated. Are you able to get the red fuel cans? If it's a hassle I'll take whatever color is easiest for you to source.

rhyary
01-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Ok, looks like fuel is covered.

What about firewood?
Anyone has space on the roof rack to bring some logs?

alpendubber
01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
What are you asking for the Scepter cans? I could also use a couple if the price is right.

Also, how does everyone feel about me bringing my two dogs on the trip?

I will probably be able to bring firewood, I'm pretty close and have cedar and apricot in the pile out back.

Cruisin Off Road
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
I am good on those, although neither of the 2 I have are that great.

What kind can you get?

They're the Scepter spouts that go with the cans. Clear 1" ish dia tube.

Cruisin Off Road
01-31-2012, 10:30 PM
Much appreciated. Are you able to get the red fuel cans? If it's a hassle I'll take whatever color is easiest for you to source.

I can't get my hands on the red ones. Army green with a red strap for the lid. I've asked about the red ones, and the place I get them can't get red.

Cruisin Off Road
01-31-2012, 10:32 PM
What are you asking for the Scepter cans? I could also use a couple if the price is right.

I will probably be able to bring firewood, I'm pretty close and have cedar and apricot in the pile out back.

I'm looking for $80 for the fuel cans. $40 for the pour spouts.

We all know these are the last cans you'll ever need to buy...

RyanR
02-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I can't get my hands on the red ones. Army green with a red strap for the lid. I've asked about the red ones, and the place I get them can't get red.

Cool, Army Green is good with me. $200 for two cans and a spout works, when we get closer to the trip just let me know if you want a check mailed, Paypal or cash in hand when we see you in person. :cheers:

boydmick
02-01-2012, 11:07 AM

I'm fine with dogs. I guess I should be since I'm bringing my Australian Shepherd, Bubba.

Cruisin Off Road
02-02-2012, 12:03 AM
What's the program with dinners? Is there any communal meal plan, or does everyone fend for themselves? I'm good either way of course, just changes what I'll pack.

boydmick
02-02-2012, 01:09 AM
I always figure it would be pot luck. Being enough to share but don't try to feed everyone.

Caribou Sandstorm
02-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Hi Guys,

As you saw from registration Robbie Antonson is the Trail Leader again this year and I am bringing up the rear, as gunner.

We were discussing a group meal, so the pot luck idea is awesome!

If you have room for a light weight folding camp table, toss it in and we will make good use of it, for a long group table.

Since a few of you are starting your planning. Might be good to cover a few logistics:

-Robbie, as trail leader has the final call on stuff like bringing dogs.

-Additionally, Rising Sun puts on Cruise Moab and our club abides by Colorado state law regarding fire arms. Since our event is in Utah, Utah state laws apply, as well as, we also have to abide by BLM rules which govern our permits for Cruise Moab. Cruise Moab is a sanctioned TLCA event and we also recognize the TLCA by-laws regarding fire arms.

With that said, if you have a CCW permit, you know your rules and laws better than most. If you have a permit for open carry, make sure you know the laws for the state of Utah. We request that you leave your fire arm locked in your vehicle at all times, while participating in Cruise Moab, unless you have a CCW that requires you always carry (i.E. LEO or similar profession). Robbie/Neil/other committee members, please confirm I have this correct.

-Personal toilets are required. We will be camping at two camp sites that have pit toilets but if your needs require additional services, the BLM does not allow digging and dumping. A great place to pick up a personal toilet is Walmart. They are about 26.00 and a box of bags are around 11.00. Also, the BLM prefers we urinate on the dirt road, where there is no vegetation vs. walking off trail to the farthest bush.

-Alcohol. No drinking while on trail by driver or passengers.

-Health issues, if you have any health issues that may require emergency assistance, please send Robbie a PM or speak to him at our trail head meeting on Tuesday.

-Tech inspection will be done by Robbie and me the morning of our Tuesday meeting. Please make sure to have your vehicle inspected professionally before you arrive for this trip. You will want to verify knuckle studs are tightened (if you have IFS, you don't have these) and your rig is prepped for a 3 day trek. Fuel tanks should be full and extra fuel, as well. FJ40s might need 5-10 gallons extra. Straight 6s probably 5-10 gallons. V6s probably 5 gallons extra depending on tire size. V8s maybe 10 gallons.

-You will want to bring about a gallon of drinking water per day, as a rule of thumb. Doubt you will need that much but we often run into folks on the trail that are under prepared when it comes to drinking water.

That is all I can think of for now, Robbie any thoughts?

RyanR
02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I like the idea of a group meal/potluck. I usually bring a 10# propane cylinder with distribution tree and lantern/dual burner stove/grill. If there is no need I will probably just bring the stove and a couple 1# cylinders for Moab. If you guys want I'll bring the whole setup and everyone is free to use it. I will bring a couple Roll-a-tables too.

EDIT: I assume beer is OK in camp once the driving is done for the day?

Caribou Sandstorm
02-02-2012, 04:10 PM
I like the idea of a group meal/potluck. I usually bring a 10# propane cylinder with distribution tree and lantern/dual burner stove/grill. If there is no need I will probably just bring the stove and a couple 1# cylinders for Moab. If you guys want I'll bring the whole setup and everyone is free to use it. I will bring a couple Roll-a-tables too.

EDIT: I assume beer is OK in camp once the driving is done for the day?

Your call on the stove grill, they are nice to have for sure. After driving your beverage choice is your choice!

Utah has some pretty strict laws on that as you are probably aware. So I know it sounds crazy but bring what you want on that front and pack it discretely in your truck. i.e. if a 12 pack was strapped to your roof rack, I think they can get you for crossing the border with alcohol and that is a big no no in Utah.

We have done many, many trips to southern Utah as individuals and small groups and have never had any issues but we usually bury it in our rigs vs set it on top in the back just incase...

Enigma
02-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Stupid Canadian question, as I've heard all these stories about Utah and it's weird "dry" laws, but can you buy booze somewhere, once inside its state lines?

VBRoamer
02-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Dave, yep, new suspension and new storage box. Should eliminate the worst of the problems from the Outlaw Run.

VBRoamer
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
that picture brings good memories. I think I was driving there. :thumb:

That was indeed you driving.

Caribou Sandstorm
02-03-2012, 12:01 AM
Stupid Canadian question, as I've heard all these stories about Utah and it's weird "dry" laws, but can you buy booze somewhere, once inside its state lines?

Yes you can buy booze at the state liquor store behind the Napa auto parts store..

Also in the town of Fruita which is minutes from the Rabbit Valley Exit off of I70, there are liquor stores. Fruita is the last Colorado city before the border.

Moab is a bit looser then other cities, in that restaurants serve beer and wine, as you might expect at home.

Rock Dog
02-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Hello all,
I have been following several threads, and I wanted to remind everyone that the FINAL trail assignments have not been made yet for any trail.
We will be working on the Final trail assignments as soon as we get closer to closing registration.

We normally have a maximum of 20 participant vehicles permitted with the BLM for the trails we run. I understand that the online registration allowed for 20 slots to be signed up for the Kokopelli trail as well this year. However, the Limit we worked out with the BLM for the Kokopelli this year is a hard limit of 15 vehicles. Of course we wish we could have more, but we must abide by limit that has been set.

Several people have called asking if they have a confirmed spot, and expressed how they have been planning on this trip for a long time... Believe me i understand the excitement and desire to run this trail. I have wanted to go on this multi day run since starting to work on the initial proposal with the BLM (i hope to get a chance someday).

We ask for your patience as we work though the final assignments. We will be contacting both those who will, and will not get to participate on the double overnight this year, as soon as we have the final assignments.

Thanks,
Neil

Caribou Sandstorm
02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the update Neil.

RyanR
02-03-2012, 10:05 AM
I see. Well I guess I am back to crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Are spots assigned on a first come first served basis or is there a merit system in place for determining who gets to go?

Rock Dog
02-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I see. Well I guess I am back to crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Are spots assigned on a first come first served basis or is there a merit system in place for determining who gets to go?

We always try to start assignments based on the order of the registrations, and then other factors come into play like is the vehicle setup for the level of the trail selected (you might be surprised at the number of adjustments this check can yield). On trails like this one, the Spike and Hells for example that are always full, we also try to talk to participants who we know may be willing to conceed spots to others ( the cruiser community has many people often willing to give up spots for there bretheren.. it really is a great community of people to work with)..

Neil.

RyanR
02-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the info Neil, that sounds like a fair method to me. Now back to crossing my fingers! :D

VBRoamer
02-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Ditto on the finger-crossing!:D

Enigma
02-04-2012, 07:50 PM
I registered twice, so both fingers crossed :P

Cruisin Off Road
02-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Oh dear, I think it was only showing 2 spots left when I registered. The math on this says I best not be counting my chickens before hatching time. Good thing I put down Golden Spike for my Thursday alternate.

Thanks for the update, and here's hoping it somehow works out for me! I registered within 24 hours of registration opening, goes to show how popular this run is.

powderpig
02-05-2012, 10:18 AM
Hello all, I am positive Neil and the trail boss will figure who will and who will not be on this year trip. I think Neil is having a hard time getting into the data base. As soon as they can get into the data base, I am sure I will hear the list as well. The same as last year, you can expect a phone call so we can chat a bit as well. Looking forward to this years trip. We will see how the snow load is this year and how early spring comes, as to if we get to play with more than the first part of the Delores river.
As for dogs, they are fine as long as they behave. We only had one along on the trip last year. When we are in senitive vegatation areas, I will ask that the dogs remain on a lead with you or hooked to the truck. It is like Chris mentioned, the people in charge of the permits wanting people to pee on the road, they do not like the idea of dogs charging off across the crypto biotic soil that much either.
Anyhow, booze is best bought in a different state and packed in such a manor that it can not be seen. While booze is around to buy, it is through a state run agency and taxed rather heavily. Except the 3.2 beer that can be around in some stores. Yes, your choice of beverage can be consumed after the days end. If wind permits, we will have a fire both nights. if my rack is free, I will pick up some wood or haul it from Boulder with me.
fire arms, a hot topic. As Chris suggest, you need to be in compliance with Utah state laws. I do not profess to know those laws. If you are carrying any type of weapons, please leave them locked up while on this part of your Utah journey. We will have kids along and they can sometimes do the darndest things. Thanks for this.
I am looking forward to a great trip again this year.
robbie

powderpig
02-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Radio's

Ham is best if you have it, makes life a whole ton easier when you can hear someone with out static.
Alas if you only have a CB then we will figure it out.

But you must have one or the other. FSR while nice in some way, is not what is required to be on any run for Cruise Moab. If you do not have any radio, Please let me know, we may be able to round up a hand held CB for the short duration of this trip.

If you have not looked into a ham radio and licence before. I recommend it, you will have enough time to get a licence and a radio.

Doc McCoy
02-05-2012, 10:35 AM
... Also, the BLM prefers we urinate on the dirt road, where there is no vegetation vs. walking off trail to the farthest bush.

Water those tires!

-You will want to bring about a gallon of drinking water per day, as a rule of thumb. Doubt you will need that much but we often run into folks on the trail that are under prepared when it comes to drinking water.

Two years ago, Nathan and I were in Moab for some training with Bill Burke and I forgot all about how much water I was drinking. Needless to say, I got put it my place rather quickly when I started getting cranky. It's really easy to underestimate the water thing … so it's better to be looking at it, than for it.

Same goes for fuel.

As a fellow Canuck, let me URGE you to bring booze to Utah. It is either WAY MORE expensive than you think or WAY LESS potent than you're used to.

… Anyhow, booze is best bought in a different state and packed in such a manor that it can not be seen. While booze is around to buy, it is through a state run agency and taxed rather heavily. Except the 3.2 beer that can be around in some stores…

Robbie speaks the truth. Luckily last year there was at least one guy that worked for a Colorado brewery that brought a "few" samples. The Colorado stuff is pretty great and will be a lot more in line with what you're probably familiar.

Hope you guys do this run again next year as my jealousy level is rising as CruiseMoab approaches. I'll have to settle with doing just the day runs this year and hopefully rejoin you guys for CruiseMoab 2013!

RyanR
02-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Radio's

Ham is best if you have it, makes life a whole ton easier when you can hear someone with out static.
Alas if you only have a CB then we will figure it out.

But you must have one or the other. FSR while nice in some way, is not what is required to be on any run for Cruise Moab. If you do not have any radio, Please let me know, we may be able to round up a hand held CB for the short duration of this trip.

If you have not looked into a ham radio and licence before. I recommend it, you will have enough time to get a licence and a radio.

Interesting, never considered ham radio for the trail. I'll start looking into this. Any model recommendations for the vehicle?

Caribou Sandstorm
02-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Most in our club have Yaseu but a few of us have ICOM. Those are the two most widely used. I would get a basic unit, single band. The cost is better. Check the Blue Room or our HAM sub-category for radio ideas and install locations.

When I had my FJC, I mounted the HAM right up between the visors.. Great location. You can slide a block of wood between the headliner with Gorilla glue and then mount the HAM to the wood the next day.

Another option is to get a hand held HAM to start with, Less expensive in most cases and you can get a magnet antenna to place on top of the roof.

You have to take the test and get a call sign. You can look up the local testing locations in your area, via ARRL and their website should have a link to take the free test. You can take it as many times as you want.

Hope this helps

jonharis
02-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Interesting, never considered ham radio for the trail. I'll start looking into this. Any model recommendations for the vehicle?

Ryan, A couple of us in BCC will be taking the Test soon (info in our forum or PM me). I have a handheld FT-270R. You may want to consider a handheld first before installing something permanent. Even with the reduced wattage and non-ideal antenna it smokes CB for range and clarity.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5270.html

alpendubber
02-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Hey Jon,

When is that class? I 'm also interested.

84cruzer
02-16-2012, 09:34 PM
IMHO this is the best way to study for the ham tests.

http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/

84cruzer
02-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Aric, Ryan you guys should come to the local ham club meetings.

http://www.k0rv.org/

The club would even provide you with loaner radios until you can get your own.

RyanR
02-22-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks for all the study and equipment recommendations guys. How often do they run the testing? I won't be able to make it down this weekend.

Any word on when we might see final trail assignments for Cruise Moab?

84cruzer
02-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Ryan, the next Ski County Amateur Radio Club SCARC Meeting is March 10th from 10am to 1pm at the US Bank next to Safeway, testing is after the meeting around 11:30-12:00. They also meet every Tuesday at Village Inn at 8am and you can arrange to take the test then. The monthly meetings are informative and fun, and you get to meet some real "Elmers" who love to mentor new HAM radio operators. The club also has surplus gear that you can borrow until you get your own.

rhyary
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I am officially in the Koko. Got trail assignment today from Lin.

Yeh!!!

Looking forward to seeing Robbie, Chris and the rest of you.

Are Dan and Bill assisting this year as well?

Cruisin Off Road
03-10-2012, 10:04 AM
So it sounds like a few guys have gotten word if they're on this run or not. I haven't gotten the call yet, any idea when I might hear?

I'm okay either way (kinda), but it will affect my preparations for the trip so I'm wanting to find out...

nattybumppo
03-10-2012, 06:58 PM
So it sounds like a few guys have gotten word if they're on this run or not. I haven't gotten the call yet, any idea when I might hear?

I'm okay either way (kinda), but it will affect my preparations for the trip so I'm wanting to find out...

Jason, we called everybody who didn't make the cut-off and left a message if we didn't get them in person. Final trail assignments will probably be emailed out to all CM12 participants this week, so you'll know for sure then, but as long as the phone number you supplied on your registration was accurate, I think you're in for some good news, so jump on those preparation projects.:thumb:

RyanR
03-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Hey that is good news, phone hasn't rang and I don't have any messages so I guess I'll go ahead and submit those leave forms! :D

Doc McCoy
03-14-2012, 12:24 PM

Hey Jason,

My memory get exponentially more fuzzy as every day passes lol but I think we ran into a group of you guys heading back to BC when we were passing through SLC on our way back to Alberta. Would've been three Tacomas and an 80 (maybe at a Shell Station). Regardless ... Koko is an awesome time and you're gonna be in great hands with Robbie and Chris leading the way.

David

Cruisin Off Road
03-14-2012, 11:14 PM
Hey Jason,

My memory get exponentially more fuzzy as every day passes lol but I think we ran into a group of you guys heading back to BC when we were passing through SLC on our way back to Alberta. Would've been three Tacomas and an 80 (maybe at a Shell Station). Regardless ... Koko is an awesome time and you're gonna be in great hands with Robbie and Chris leading the way.

David

Hey David

I do remember that. I was still dealing with some overheating problems at the time. Finally got to the bottom of it what with doing a rad flush, replacing the rad cap (twice, finally got a genuine Toyota one), and putting new thicker fluid in the fan clutch. Now I just need some hot weather to properly test it. I guess that will be on the way down to Moab :rolleyes:

Looking forward to renewing acquaintances, and making some new ones too :beer:

Jason

RyanR
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM
I didn't see anything new in my inbox this week. Did anyone else receive their final trail assignments this week?

Cruisin Off Road
03-19-2012, 12:41 AM
Not I. The anticipation is killing me ;-)

rhyary
03-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Hey, Jason.
I checked out your web site. Your 101 looks great. Are you bringing it to the Koko?

Rami

Cruisin Off Road
03-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Hey, Jason.
I checked out your web site. Your 101 looks great. Are you bringing it to the Koko?

Rami

Hi Rami,

I'm not totally decided yet, but I'm leaning towards leaving the M101 at home for this trip. It does really well off road, but I find the wheeling more relaxing and enjoyable when its not back there.

Jason

Cruisin Off Road
03-23-2012, 11:35 PM
So... I don't want to appear impatient (probably too late for that now ;-), but I was under the impression I would have heard something by now about trail assignments. I haven't gotten a phone call or an email yet, and I know of at least a couple of people who heard 2 weeks ago if they are in or not for this run. I have also spoken to another guy who is signed up for Kokopelli and hasn't heard anything, and he's getting concerned.

So what's up?

Thanks in advance!

RyanR
03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
So... I don't want to appear impatient (probably too late for that now ;-), but I was under the impression I would have heard something by now about trail assignments. I haven't gotten a phone call or an email yet, and I know of at least a couple of people who heard 2 weeks ago if they are in or not for this run. I have also spoken to another guy who is signed up for Kokopelli and hasn't heard anything, and he's getting concerned.

So what's up?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the same boat, I signed up for the Kokopelli but no phone call or email yet. :confused: I think I'm good because they said there were 20 spots allowed during registration (Even though there are really only 15) and my initial registration email says:

Trail Selections
Wednesday 1st:Rating: 6 Kokopelli Overnight (TUESDAY) - 18 Spots Left

So it looks like I was the second person to register but still awaiting that final say so. May is rapidly approaching and I'm hoping I didn't burn some vacation time for naught.

MDH33
03-28-2012, 08:18 AM
Have a little patience. It's a huge endeavor to do all the trail assignments and the folks doing this are volunteers.

RyanR
03-28-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm trying to be patient but this is my first CM so I don't know what my expectations should be. I understand that this is a fully volunteer operated show and I appreciate the hard work people put into this so I'll relax. ;)

corsair23
03-28-2012, 11:55 AM
I sent Stephen a PM to see if he might be able to post up a list of names of those who made the cut so to speak. The overnight runs require quite a bit more prep work for those that got in than for the rest of us. This way those that have not heard anything will know for sure if they are in or not. Not sure why some have heard they are in or not in and some have not but I'm sure it depends a lot on how much contact information was provided at registration.

rhyary
03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm trying to be patient but this is my first CM so I don't know what my expectations should be...

You should have huge expectations. But not matter what, the Koko trip will exceed them for sure.

My understanding is that if you did not hear, and got registration confirm when you registered, you are in.

I can hardly wait myself to hit the road west.

Rami

Caribou Sandstorm
03-28-2012, 09:12 PM
I am getting excited also! Will be in the swell the weekend prior for a shake down run..

I just installed a new bumper and lift...Have all the skid plates ready to install but dropped the belly plate on my foot today, so I may wait till next week before I feel up to installing the skids..... No broken toes...I think.. but my big toe nail is purple...

rhyary
03-29-2012, 08:12 AM
..... No broken toes...I think.. but my big toe nail is purple...

Without a picture, it didn't happened! :-)

Cruisin Off Road
03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
I am getting excited also! Will be in the swell the weekend prior for a shake down run..

I just installed a new bumper and lift...Have all the skid plates ready to install but dropped the belly plate on my foot today, so I may wait till next week before I feel up to installing the skids..... No broken toes...I think.. but my big toe nail is purple...

No picture required... I'm going to take him at his word :rolleyes:

Cruisin Off Road
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Have a little patience. It's a huge endeavor to do all the trail assignments and the folks doing this are volunteers.

Understood and appreciated that its a big undertaking. I'm just looking at the fact that I will be changing my setup depending if I'm going on an overnight, or just a base camp in town, and with only a month until I leave I don't want to leave things for the last minute.

I was really impressed with how organized the committee was last year, and I'm only assuming they will do just as good of a job again this year.

Regards,
Jason

powderpig
03-29-2012, 03:50 PM
If Jeff does not have a list soon, I should. I contacted Steve (trail boss) and he stated he had a list of the suspects (ups, I mean the crew) going on the Koko. I should have this soon(like tomorrow or the next day I hope).
I read, but do not always comment about stuff.

powderpig
04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I have most of the list now. I am getting it together hopefully tonight. I will be calling everyone on my list in the next few days. Talk to you soon.
Robbie

powderpig
04-02-2012, 03:43 PM
I have most of the list now. I am getting it together hopefully tonight. I will be calling everyone on my list in the next few days. Talk to you soon.
Robbie

alpendubber
04-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Looking forward to the call.

Three 0 Three- Nine 0 Nine- Seven 8 Seven 7

Super excited and ready to go!!!

Cruisin Off Road
04-09-2012, 10:54 PM
So.... I got my trail assignment email this evening. Looks like I'm out. Super bummed. Guess that's why I never got the call (now its all starting to make sense).

Now to mentally change gears and get my "base camping" setup ready to go...

Have fun folks, I'll be thinking about ya!

wesintl
04-10-2012, 08:20 AM
There are still plenty of options for a few days of expo before the event.

RyanR
04-10-2012, 11:16 AM
I received my final trail assignment email last night, I am in for the Kokopelli run, see you guys out there.

rhyary
04-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Got my official email as well.
will be doing Koko, Hell Revenge and Cliff Hanger

alpendubber
04-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Robbie just called me to tell me that I'm in for Koko!!:beer:

powderpig
04-11-2012, 09:00 PM
I have reached out to all the people on my list. I only left a few messages. I believe we will have a great trip. Looking forward to getting on the trail and seeing you all. Some faces will be new, some will be familar(did not want to say OLD, and have some one take offense)faces.
Catch you all in a few weeks.
Robbie

boydmick
04-11-2012, 09:27 PM
I got your message Robbie. Thanks for calling!

I'm getting all excited now and keep finding all sorts of little projects to do to the truck.

See everyone soon!

powderpig
04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Cool Boyd, looking forward to getting this moving in a great way. I have either left messages with all the folks or talked in person with those on the run. So, If you believe you are on the run, you need to contact Dave Kaiser on this. As I only have room for so many. After Chris (the real leader, maybe we will see some Caribou this year) and I talk. We will post up some more fun information (or not).
See you all at the Rabbit Valley exit on the south side, at 10 am on Tuesday the 1st of May. Be fueled, have food and ready for a fun time.

powderpig
04-23-2012, 07:08 AM
Looking at long range weather for next week(during the trip). Cooler trends, highs in the mid 60's(like 65 in the day), lows at or around 45 at night. Might have some rain wed night. Expect partial cloudy days. One can only hope for cloudless days at this point. But the weather man has been wrong in the past.

Caribou Sandstorm
04-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Getting excited to see everyone a week from tomorrow!

I will be in the area starting this Friday!

Any issues or questions call Robbie or me, three o three eight eight one six six three zero

RyanR
04-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Looking at long range weather for next week(during the trip). Cooler trends, highs in the mid 60's(like 65 in the day), lows at or around 45 at night. Might have some rain wed night. Expect partial cloudy days. One can only hope for cloudless days at this point. But the weather man has been wrong in the past.

I wouldn't mind some cloudy days, I think I have already had my fill of heat for the summer and its not even summer yet.

Caribou Sandstorm
04-26-2012, 03:07 PM
I talked to Robbie this morning and we were thinking of a bit of a pot luck/family style dinner on Tuesday night.

Menu is open at this point.

I will have a small Weber (Smokey Joe) and charcoal, for grilling, if other's have a a few gas grills that could be good also.

If you have a collapsible camp table we can put them all together to form a long dinner table.

Also please bring a desert to share.

See you Tuesday at 10:AM? Make sure to have a full tank of gas and any additional fuel tanks you need are filled up.

I am bringing the registration packets with me, so I will have your packet, shirts, etc., to hand out.

RyanR
04-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Sounds good, we will have a table with us and I can bring another small grill if it is needed. It looks like there are no fire bans currently: http://www.utahfireinfo.gov/fire_restrictions/restrictions.html

I have a 24" x 16" grill that goes over the fire too, got to get the fire going and some coals built up though so it may not be practical if we want to do an early dinner.

Rock Dog
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
I am getting excited, and don't even get to go on the Run!!!

EVERYONE Have a great Time!!!

Cheers,
Neil.

Getting excited to see everyone a week from tomorrow!

I will be in the area starting this Friday!

Any issues or questions call Robbie or me, three o three eight eight one six six three zero

rhyary
04-27-2012, 05:29 AM
I will have the Best Camping Table.
We can park a Land Cruiser in it :-)

I will have stove and will bring some meat as well.

SteveS
04-28-2012, 05:50 AM
I'm bringing a small gas grill and a small table. Nothing quite like Rami's table though.
Shopping on Sun or Mon so if we need anything specific let me know.

Caribou Sandstorm
04-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

I spoke to Neil (Rock Dog) and he is willing to bring gas out to those that need it Wed. Night.

Neil will have 4 or 5, 5 gallon Jerry Cans, with receipts on them for the gas.

We prefer you have cash on hand to pay Neil for your gas.

See you Tuesday!

SteveS
04-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Cool, is Utah all max 91 octane the way it seems Kansas and Colorado are? Just curious cause the crappy gas is screwing with my mileage with the supercharger. Had to buy all the octane booster on the shelf at a truck stop to help it :)
If I could get a nice tank of 93, I'll be good, or does anyone know if grand junction or some other close wal mart has a lot of octane booster for sale?

If I'm running 91 I might need a full tank, all my cans and then some more lol :)

RyanR
04-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Cool, is Utah all max 91 octane the way it seems Kansas and Colorado are? Just curious cause the crappy gas is screwing with my mileage with the supercharger. Had to buy all the octane booster on the shelf at a truck stop to help it :)
If I could get a nice tank of 93, I'll be good, or does anyone know if grand junction or some other close wal mart has a lot of octane booster for sale?

If I'm running 91 I might need a full tank, all my cans and then some more lol :)

I think most of Utah is going to be 91. Out of curiosity what kind of mileage are you seeing here with the supercharger and what do you normally see? And what elevation are you coming from? Sorry for all the questions but I have been considering the supercharger for my FJ as well.

Got the truck all packed up last night, decided Sunday morning I wanted to build a little platform for the rear to separate out the gear and add some tie down points. Always a good idea to add more projects to the list when you are already running behind :D

I ended up packing two tables, a dual burner stove, a tiny grill w/ charcoal and a large grill that goes over the fire. Everyone is welcome to use whatever they need. I am sitting here wondering why I decided to work today, I keep thinking about the trip, I'm not going to get anything done!

alpendubber
04-30-2012, 11:17 AM
I will take the offer of fuel. Put me down for 5 gal. Im not bring any.

RyanR
05-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Jy6FPX88pKc&

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjsiii/sets/72157629979109237/

Thanks again for an incredible time everyone, it was great to meet all of you and we hope to see you again next year!

Ryan, Mary and James (And Paddington Bear Dog)

Caribou Sandstorm
05-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Great Video Ryan!