PDA

View Full Version : Considering a 40

Jenny Cruiser
01-26-2012, 04:49 PM
I've been thinking about buying a 40 for the past couple of years. Don't want one that's someone elses idea of done. Don't want a multi-year project. Don't want to deal with a lot of rust. Prefer 76+ in the old khaki or red/white color. I don't know 40s at all, but I'm thinking about this one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIGINAL-CONDITION-LAND-CRUISER-/220928595216?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33705ed510

For those of you who know what you're looking at; do any red flags jump out at you? It's a 79, 3 spd, no power anything and drum brakes. That's kinda odd from what little I know about 40s for the year.

Uncle Ben
01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
The newish paint and rusted floorboards throw up flags. Drum brakes on a 79? Disks were standard '76 on. The 3 speed seems odd too as why would Afghanistan spec use an older trans. Aftermarket wire harness scares me without seeing the quality of the install and where is the smog equipment?

Jenny Cruiser
01-26-2012, 05:07 PM
No smog and no seat belts. He says it's from the Stan originally. Missing some knobs on dash, rear jump seats are supposed to be larger than norm. No idea what norm is. Hole in floor, but no rust other than that on the rear tire carrier. Some other goofy stuff. What bothers me is I know the wolves have been on this and apparently passed. I'm just trying to figure out why. :confused:

Uncle Ben
01-26-2012, 05:09 PM
No smog and no seat belts. He says it's from the Stan originally. Missing some knobs on dash, rear jump seats are supposed to be larger than norm. No idea what norm is. Hole in floor, but no rust other than that on the rear tire carrier. Some other goofy stuff. What bothers me is I know the wolves have been on this and apparently passed. I'm just trying to figure out why. :confused:

It's expensive and to get it the way you want it it's gonna cost a bunch more. Can't speak for you but personally I wouldn't touch it.

MDH33
01-26-2012, 05:30 PM
There are plenty of good 40's locally (I assume you're in CO?) I wouldn't buy one unless I could crawl all around it, drive it, etc. And buying sight unseen and paying Ebay premiums I wouldn't do. Also, if drum brakes and 3 speed aren't a turn-off (not for me!) then why not consider an older 40 too? I wouldn't limit myself to later 40's just to get a 2F, 4 speed, disk brakes, ambulance doors, etc.. Just look for a relatively clean one that hasn't been molested and runs well.

Good luck!

rover67
01-26-2012, 05:39 PM
man, that thing look like a mess.

I can't believe it got to that price.

square bezel, ambi doors have rounded bottoms, mismatched brakes and tranny for the year. Seems like it was cobbled up using lots of old parts. And it looks like it has a lot of rust under all that new paint...

like martin says, i'd buy something you can touch, feel, and drive.

black95
01-26-2012, 05:40 PM
There is a 40 here in the Springs I have been drooling over, Everyone has a different idea of what a 40 should be, not sure what you're looking for but I'd be happy to take some pictures for you. I think it's a '75 or '76 with original paint, and much less rust than the ebay cruiser you're looking at. It has a carb'd Chevy 350, with a chevy manual tranny, I think 5 speed, stock transfer case. Very clean install. nice rear tire carrier, good 35's on black modern aluminum wheels. real nice front bumper with brand new 9500 warn winch. high lift jack.

Guy wants 10K for it, I bet he would take less. I would love to offer him 8,500, but I already have a cruiser. :) I know for some the chevy engine is a deal breaker.

Jenny Cruiser
01-26-2012, 05:44 PM
I really don't care for the discs or power anything. My 66 IH Sportop doesn't have any of that, but it is a four speed. I do want that and the ambi doors. I've been looking for a while now and it's hard to find one like you described. I've seen them pop up for sale one day and be gone the next.

I think I'll pass, but this is what I'm looking for. A decent driver I can put some elbow grease into and make my own. I really want this color. There was one a member sold on ebay not long ago that I liked a lot too. I'm not in CO, so I didn't have a chance to check it out. Looked nice though. I'm not interested in a v8 conversion. Putting an American motor in a 40 is a sin.

Jacket
01-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Where'd all the knobs go? Weird.

Is the fact that its an overseas model appealing, or do you just want a beige mid-70's model? Other than the color as a limiting factor, I think you can find what you want in due time. Mine was an ebay failure (didn't sell at auction), and I ended up staying in touch with the guy until he met my price.

Uncle Ben
01-26-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm not in CO, so I didn't have a chance to check it out.

:confused:

Jenny Cruiser
01-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Not really. I was going to bring a BJ over from Europe. LHDs are hard to find in decent shape unless you go to southern Spain, France, Italy or recently Greece has some deals on 40s. I think the Germans have first dibs on those. I'm over the diesel bug now. I just want a keeper. I'm also looking for a decent CE in white to keep.

@ UB I'm in TN, but I caught the snow back home for Christmas.

subzali
01-26-2012, 07:00 PM
The only 2 years that FJ40s had a 4spd and drum brakes were '74 and '75. '74 was the 1st year for the 4 spd and the last year of the F engine and lift gate, '75 was the first year of the 2F and ambulance doors.

Is smog a consideration in TN?

It sounds like you want something that hasn't been messed with much. Especially if you don't know FJ40s that will be hugely important I would think, to help get your feet under you a bit. I would not go for an overseas model until you are more familiar with the series.

The price is high IMO and it certainly has its issues, but I would think something like this would be closer to what you're looking for:
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2784566025.html

This one might not be too bad of a deal, you would want to take some local Cruiserheads with you to check it out:
http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/2800401513.html

Have you hooked up with the bluff city cruisers?
http://forum.ih8mud.com/tn-bluff-city-cruisers/

Jenny Cruiser
01-26-2012, 07:50 PM
I've seen those and a few others. Does a 40 really need a rear heater?:confuse2:

FJBRADY
01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Putting an American motor in a 40 is a sin.

Blasfamy.........

Jacket
01-26-2012, 08:13 PM
I've seen those and a few others. Does a 40 really need a rear heater?:confuse2:

If you drive it January the extra heat sure helps...

rover67
01-26-2012, 08:54 PM

I really like my rear heat..

Uncle Ben
01-26-2012, 09:02 PM

I occasionally drive mine in January and it doesn't have rear heat.... :hill::p:

subzali
01-26-2012, 09:24 PM
probably won't need it in TN...

DenCo40
01-26-2012, 09:37 PM
Hey Chad. Hope all is well for you. So are you leaving the 80 crowd? The Ebay truck looks like a mix of an old frame/drivetrain with a newer body bolted to it.. I'm sure you can find a better deal somewhere else. If there is anything around here you are interested in checking out just let me know and I'll take a look. BTW a rear heater is nice to have in the winter.:D

Jenny Cruiser
01-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Hey Chad. Hope all is well for you. So are you leaving the 80 crowd? The Ebay truck looks like a mix of an old frame/drivetrain with a newer body bolted to it.. I'm sure you can find a better deal somewhere else. If there is anything around here you are interested in checking out just let me know and I'll take a look. BTW a rear heater is nice to have in the winter.:D

What's up Jim? No complaints here. I'll get another 80 too, but it just seems like a good time for a 40.

Wanna trade a 2002 4 Door V6 TRD Taco with RR locker for your 40? Same color as your old one. :pirate:

corsair23
01-27-2012, 02:32 AM
Don't want one that's someone elses idea of done. Don't want a multi-year project. Don't want to deal with a lot of rust. Prefer 76+ in the old khaki or red/white color.

I'm with what the others have said about that '79 in the auction...Even if it was orginally from Afghanistan, something just seems wrong. I find it hard to believe that Toyota cobbled together a bunch of old stuff from 5+ model years earlier and slapped it together and sent it to Afghanistan. I'd bet the poor thing just got basterdized over the years with what the owners could find.

That said...IMHO your requirements are going to be difficult to meet but if you are in no hurry, sooner or later something will pop up. Many 40s are either "done", i.e. restored; somewhere in the restoral process; or multi-year projects. I'd look for the best looking, best running, best restored 40 that you can find in your price range and buy it. As all of us who own 40s can attest to, they can be huge $$ sinks and you put way more $$ into them than you can ever hope to get out...Why not buy one someone has already invested the $$ in and get a 40 that you can just hop in and enjoy and fine tune/tweak the little things? With the economy the way it is, you should be able to find a nice 40 for a lot less than what it would have cost a few years ago.

DenCo40
01-27-2012, 05:00 PM
What's up Jim? No complaints here. I'll get another 80 too, but it just seems like a good time for a 40.

Wanna trade a 2002 4 Door V6 TRD Taco with RR locker for your 40? Same color as your old one. :pirate:\

Thanks for the offer, but I left the Tacoma world a couple of years ago. Took me long enough to get my money pit 40 so I'm hanging on to it.
I haven't seen any real decent affordable 40's around here in a while.

Jenny Cruiser
03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Just missed this one.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2881646571.html

DenCo40
03-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Just missed this one.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/2881646571.html

Not sure what "Brakes have gone down on the rear from sitting" means. Much less a 3 speed in a 1977?

Jenny Cruiser
03-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Here's a parts/donor 78 with a rusted out outer body. Interior is good and everything works. Has the roll bar, but no jump seats. Rear heater also works. Ambi doors are pretty rusted on the bottom. Runs/drives well. Worth $1,500?