PDA

View Full Version : 2012 CM Wrenching Sessions

RicardoJM
01-30-2012, 08:35 AM
The first wrenching session is in the bag and done:D. There are three more on the calendar between now and Cruise Moab. Overall, we got through the work that we planned and then some. Rigs are in better shape than they were on Friday, everyone learned something new and it was fun to talk trucks, life while watching sparks and turning wrenches. The accomplishments of the first weekends work activity include:

BGOODHEART

Front end clunk diagnosis; inspected the front end no issues found that would account for the intermittent clunk.
Removed splash guards front and rear
We had planned to extend tail pile hanger as current position would be hit by rear spring at full flex. Upon closer examination, determined that suspension flexes a long way and there is not enough play in the pipes to extend the hanger far enough. After considering the options, we resolved the issue by cutting the tail pipe to clear the springs all together.
Welded four bracket assemblies to a hold high lift jack. The brackets can also be used to support a platform shelf.

Bigcity25

Engine compression check; cylinder 3 is at 115 (not terrible considering it recently ingested a nut) and all the rest 135-139.
Checked timing, found it to be less than 7. Reset to 12 degrees BTDC.
Fabricated a stud to hold the air cleaner cover to the carburetor.
Inspected rear driveshaft and pinions, found pinion nut and parking brake drum nut to be finger tight. Tightened them up and rtv'd the splines coming out the back of the t-case.
"Loose steering" diagnosis; inspected the front end and found alignment was toed out. We adjusted the alignment to .25" tow in.

surffj62

Oil change and sea foam
Welded a bracket which keeps the bumper from opening far enough to bump the tail lights. Eliminated free play at the latch when bumper halves are closed.
Rotated the tires
Inspected the brakes, found front pads to be in need of replacement - replaced them
Bled the brakes
Inspected the front end alignment; found it to be equal distance both front and rear; adjusted alignment to .25" tow in.

nattybumpo

Built up a 4.11 third with an ARB

RicardoJM

Oil change

AirRandy

Installed an air hose reel
Painted Dee's race car

RicardoJM
01-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Pictures are from Saturday to my knowledge no photos were taken on Sunday.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2012cmwr/cm2012wr_002.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2012cmwr/cm2012wr_004.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2012cmwr/cm2012wr_005.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2012cmwr/cm2012wr_006.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2012cmwr/cm2012wr_007.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2012cmwr/cm2012wr_008.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2012cmwr/cm2012wr_009.jpg

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/ricardojm/2012cmwr/cm2012wr_010.jpg

baileyfj40
01-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Randy;

Where does Dee race and when?

Air Randy
01-30-2012, 06:07 PM
First race of the season is March 31/April 1 at High Plains Raceway. We also race at PPIR in Fountain, Pueblo Motorsports Park, LaJunta and Hastings, Nebraska.

15 races in the season, she drives in the non-points races and I drive during the points races.

Air Randy
02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Wow, what a busy weekend.

Sascha started his H55F install into his FJ60 Friday evening and finished it up Saturday night. He did it almost all by himself and it went very smoothly.

Mark converted his V6 ARB diff to HP with the same ARB, and installed new 5.29 gears into this diff and a second diff with a detroit locker. He is now a journeyman gear installer, start making your reservations now for gear changes!

twmatheson - 87 FJ60 full front axle service-Ricardo pitched in and got this done

TonkaToy - Early yellow FJ40 with a straight 6 tune up-did a compression check, timing & carb adjust and diagnosed a faulty heater motor

bruegee - carb and adjust valves 85 FJ60-Done

Jaderunner - 4runner bumper work -Done!

Old40Dog - 80 series front wheel bearings-Dave & Evan knocked this out

FJBrady - diff fluid change X2, overall visual inspection,-Yes sports fans, Steve Brady actually did the work and actually got his hands dirty. We are so proud of our newest wrencher :D

73COCruiser - FJ40 w/ V8 tuning-Evan-thanks for helping everyone out for the day, glad we were able to diagnose your engine noise as just and old fuel pump that needs removed. You certainly win the prize for the hardiest participant driving your topless 40 down on a very cool day. We hope to see you again at more events.

It seems like there were a few more rigs we did carb adjustments on, timing checks, etc but it all starts to blur together.................

Overall it was a lot of fun and a lot of hard work. Thanks to the club for buying the pizza & soda. Thanks to all who provided the brewski's.

Going forward WE NEED HELP! We REALLY need the rest of you Rising Sun gearheads to come out to the shop and help mentor the new folks through their maintenance and repairs. You don't need to be an expert, just someone who is handy with a wrench, has a little experience and wants to help out.

FJBRADY
02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Wow, what a busy weekend.

FJBrady - diff fluid change X2, overall visual inspection,-Yes sports fans, Steve Brady actually did the work and actually got his hands dirty. We are so proud of our newest wrencher :D

Tru that, dude got skilz :thumb:

ScaldedDog
02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Mark converted his V6 ARB diff to HP with the same ARB, and installed new 5.29 gears into this diff and a second diff with a detroit locker. He is now a journeyman gear installer, start making your reservations now for gear changes!

Going forward WE NEED HELP! We REALLY need the rest of you Rising Sun gearheads to come out to the shop and help mentor the new folks through their maintenance and repairs. You don't need to be an expert, just someone who is handy with a wrench, has a little experience and wants to help out.

LOL! I've seen one and "done" one, but I don't think I'm quite ready for "teach" one... It is kind of fun, though, and certainly not mysterious enough to pay a shop a bunch of money to do. I can't thank Randy enough for his help, served up with just the right level of public humiliation to make you remember the lessons. :D Seriously, though, thanks!!

He's not kidding when he says they need help. There's a ton of work to do, and not enough folks to do it. I've looked at the list of jobs for session #3 and, though I don't claim any particular expertise in any of them, I'll plan to be there either day, or both. I can run a grinder, keep one side from running off with the other side's tools :D, fetch parts, or whatever.

Mark

RicardoJM
02-13-2012, 08:15 AM
A really busy weekend of maintenance, upgrades and hanging out. I did not get a single picture taken, so this thread will be very light on photos. It was nice to meet the new people and we had plenty of familiar faces there as well.:D

There are two more weekends coming up. If you are going to Cruise Moab and have maintenance/upgrade work, I would encourage you to find a time that works and get on the schedule. If you need to repack your bearings, get on the schedule. We have not had to turn anyone away, but if we do get into a packed situation - we will give priority to CM participants and wheel bearings.

I definately feel that additional help is needed. With so many things going on, both Randy and I were spread thin at times. I will keep the first post of each session updated with what is going on and if you see something where you can be a buddy/mentor please post up so that we can pair people up. While you might think this is applicable to newbees - even experienced people would benefit from having a buddy. Even if all the buddy does is feed tools, move the air hoses around, clean parts - it will move things along better.:thumb:

JadeRunner
02-13-2012, 08:20 AM
A huge shout out to Ricardo for organizing this and for Randy to give up his time and sweet shop for all this. Randy, was on his back cutting, grinding and welding on my receiver for about 3 hours. What a guy and he did a super job on something I really wanted done for years now.

I did learn to understand his dry sense of humor which was pretty humorous. And he called my rig a fat 80 once. He was serious and truly didn't even register that it was a 4runner. Pretty funny I guess.

Air Randy
02-13-2012, 07:23 PM
A huge shout out to Ricardo for organizing this and for Randy to give up his time and sweet shop for all this. Randy, was on his back cutting, grinding and welding on my receiver for about 3 hours. What a guy and he did a super job on something I really wanted done for years now.

I did learn to understand his dry sense of humor which was pretty humorous. And he called my rig a fat 80 once. He was serious and truly didn't even register that it was a 4runner. Pretty funny I guess.

What can I say? If it isn't something obvious like a 40,55, or 60, they all look the same to me. 80, 100, 4runner, no difference :D

Old40Dog
02-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks again Randy for making your garage available to everyone!

That lift is a blessing for old backs...made the wheel bearing service a wiz...I already told Ricardo that I'll be down one day of the next session to help out where I can.

Air Randy
02-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Thanks again Randy for making your garage available to everyone!

That lift is a blessing for old backs...made the wheel bearing service a wiz...I already told Ricardo that I'll be down one day of the next session to help out where I can.

Cool, Thanks!

subzali
02-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Excellent work fellas!

RicardoJM
03-12-2012, 07:20 AM
CM Wrenching Session #3 is in the books. Saturday's work consisted of replacing the ARB seal on Dr. Schlegs 80. Sunday was a bit busier as the Club Trailer got some axle work, Nattybummpo installed his ARB and switched to 4.11s, Old40Dog flushed more gunk out of his front diff, Clay replaced his diff fluids and Cheeseman pulled his transmission to find out his pilot bearing was the source of his noise.

A big thanks to everyone who came out:D.

Old40Dog
03-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Randy is the man and his garage is grand! Thanks again!

Cheeseman
03-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Went down today with Sascha to stab that tranny/tcase back in. Had trouble getting the pilot bearing out. But determined minds prevailed. And all is well with the Runner. So now off to the Trail Training run in Moab.

Randy your genorosity with your garage is well appreciated. And Sascha and all who helped.......Thank you.

Rising Sun......gotta love it.

RicardoJM
03-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Went down today with Sascha to stab that tranny/tcase back in. Had trouble getting the pilot bearing out. But determined minds prevailed. And all is well with the Runner. So now off to the Trail Training run in Moab.

Randy your genorosity with your garage is well appreciated. And Sascha and all who helped.......Thank you.

Rising Sun......gotta love it.

Most excellent:D.

ScaldedDog
04-01-2012, 09:55 PM

I ran Chinaman's yesterday with the colorado4x4.org crew and... my gears didn't break. :beer:

Mark

Air Randy
04-03-2012, 10:45 AM
What? You were doubting your craftsmanship and new found talents?

RicardoJM
04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Another day in the books; FJBrady's CB is tuned and OldTan40's FJ40 went from a ceased engine to one that made it home under its own power. :D

RicardoJM
04-16-2012, 07:43 AM
The final day's work is done. George got his inner axle seals replaced and no longer has soup on the passenger side. We also removed a broken stud on the hub lock outs and replaced it with a new one.

RicardoJM
04-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Wow, 4 weekends over 4 months and the results are impressive - 20 rigs are better off than they were before coming to the sessions. The work performed coverd a wide range from basic fluid changes/tuneups to connecting rod bearing replacements. The shop has been very busy. This is a fine organization with a wide breadth of knowlege and very genorous spirit to help each other.

:risingsun

A real big thank you to everyon who helped make these sessions a success - something this big does not happen without a bunch of people pitching in. :D

Here is a recap of the work compiled from the posts in this thread:

BGOODHEART
Front end clunk diagnosis; inspected the front end no issues found that would account for the intermittent clunk.
Removed splash guards front and rear
We had planned to extend tail pile hanger as current position would be hit by rear spring at full flex. Upon closer examination, determined that suspension flexes a long way and there is not enough play in the pipes to extend the hanger far enough. After considering the options, we resolved the issue by cutting the tail pipe to clear the springs all together.
Welded four bracket assemblies to a hold high lift jack. The brackets can also be used to support a platform shelf.

Bigcity25
Engine compression check; cylinder 3 is at 115 (not terrible considering it recently ingested a nut) and all the rest 135-139.
Checked timing, found it to be less than 7. Reset to 12 degrees BTDC.
Fabricated a stud to hold the air cleaner cover to the carburetor.
Inspected rear driveshaft and pinions, found pinion nut and parking brake drum nut to be finger tight. Tightened them up and rtv'd the splines coming out the back of the t-case.
"Loose steering" diagnosis; inspected the front end and found alignment was toed out. We adjusted the alignment to .25" tow in.

surffj62
Oil change and sea foam
Welded a bracket which keeps the bumper from opening far enough to bump the tail lights. Eliminated free play at the latch when bumper halves are closed.
Rotated the tires
Inspected the brakes, found front pads to be in need of replacement - replaced them
Bled the brakes
Inspected the front end alignment; found it to be equal distance both front and rear; adjusted alignment to .25" tow in.

nattybumpo
Built up a 4.11 third with an ARB
H55F install into his FJ60
ARB Installation
4.11 Gear installation

RicardoJM
Oil change

AirRandy
Installed an air hose reel
Painted Dee's race car

ScaldedDog
converted his V6 ARB diff to HP with the same ARB
Installed new 5.29 gears into above diff
Installed new 5.29 gears into another diff with a Detroit locker

Twmatheson
Full front axle service, trunions and all

TonkaToy
Straight 6 tune up
Compression check
Timing & carb adjust
Diagnosed a faulty heater motor

Brugee
Timing & Carb adjustment
Valve adjustment

Jaderunner
4runner bumper work

Old40Dog
Front wheel bearing packing
Front diff flushing

FJBrady
Diff fluid change
Overall visual inspection
CB Tuning

73COCruiser
FJ40 w/ V8 tuning
Diagnosed engine noise - old fuel pump that needs removed

DrSchlegs
Replaced ARB seal
Rising Sun CM Trailer
Axles
Lights

Clay
Diff fluids

Cheeseman
Pilot Bearing replacement

OldTan40
New connecting rod bearings and the associated oil change

Cajunrock
Front wheel bearing packing
Repaired broken stud on hub lockouts

ScaldedDog
04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
This is really impressive. Randy and Ricardo, many thanks for making these happen!! :beer:

Mark

Jacket
04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Nice job guys. Thank you for opening up your calendars and your impressive resources to help people get ready for the summer season!

Caribou Sandstorm
04-16-2012, 10:03 AM
That is an impressive amount of work!

Air Randy
04-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks to the club for funding the pizza and soft drinks. It was really enjoyable to meet a lot of new folks and get to help them learn how to fix their cruisers. Now it's time for some fun, c'mon Moab!

cajunrock
04-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Randy and Richardo, I posted up in the wrenching session#4 and needed to say thanks here too. I had a really good time and put a lot of knowledge in the back of my brain! Now, can I retrieve any of it when I need it?!?!?
Looking forward for more RS events!
George( cajunrock)

RicardoJM
04-18-2012, 09:14 AM
... Now, can I retrieve any of it when I need it?!?!?
Looking forward for more RS events!...( cajunrock)

I believe you'll do just fine:D. It will be good to see you some more, perhaps even change the color of your FJ40 to mustard yellow.