PDA

View Full Version : Argentine Tree Investigation Run 4/15/12

subzali
01-30-2012, 04:07 PM
So I'm thinking about heading up to Argentine on 4/15/12 to do an investigation of the fallen tree conditions. This may be too early, but I've never been up there in the early spring so I don't know how far the trail can be driven at this time of year.

The plan is to drive as high as possible and hike the rest of the way until trees are found fallen across the road. There are trees for sure on the lower road (248.1B), but I have not heard any reports of trees across the upper road (248.1), so that will be a key point of the investigation as well.

Anyone game? Or do y'all think it's too early?

Jenny Creek I think should receive the same treatment.

PLAN
Time: 9:00 AM
Where: Argentine Pass pulloff. If you don't know how to get there meet me at the visitor center in Georgetown no later than 8:30 (let me know if I should be expecting you, if you need my number it's in the roster or you can PM me).
When: Sunday, 4/15/12
Radio: CB Channel 4, 2m 146.460
Bring:
-Food, Water, energy drinks, hot chocolate, etc.
-Snow pants, jackets, gloves, hats, scarfs, ski goggles, sunglasses, boots, spare socks, etc.
-Hiking gear - backpacks, snowshoes, poles, tele/AT skis(?)
-Tools, fluids (incl. bead reseating fluid ;))
-Recovery gear - shackles, snatch straps, hi-lifts, snatch blocks, etc.
-Maps, compasses, GPS, cameras, binoculars, headlamps, flashlights, First Aid kits, etc.
-Blankets, sleeping bags, etc.
-I'm bringing my bow saw because it's light. Not planning on doing any major cutting. But if you're really aching to bring your chainsaw I won't stop you, and there might be a couple trees that we can drive to that are on the side of the trail that need to be cleaned up a bit. If you do bring a saw, make sure it's fueled and oiled, chain is sharp and tensioned properly, and you have appropriate safety clothing, spare fuel, bar oil, and tools. And, you are on your own as far as any liability goes.

MDH33
01-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I would be up for hiking it any time. Might even be better to hike it mid winter while the snow is good for snowshoes. Either way, count me in. :thumb:

Inukshuk
01-30-2012, 06:38 PM
subscribed

nattybumppo
01-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Would be fun, but I work Sundays.

Red_Chili
01-31-2012, 08:32 AM
I would love to... but Sundays are very difficult. Takes away from family time.

subzali
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
How about Monday? :D

smslavin
01-31-2012, 09:28 AM
As long as I'm not traveling for work, I'm in

Old40Dog
02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Matt, I'm a possible, depending on which day you finally decide upon. Sunday is better than Monday for me.

baja1d
02-14-2012, 08:50 PM
I'd like to go, however, I'm getting off duty that morning. What time are you planning on heading up?

subzali
02-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Right now I'm thinking Sunday 4/15 will be Argentine, Monday 4/16 will be Jenny Creek. I'm not expecting to get very far driving, so there will be a fair amount of hiking/snowshoeing involved methinks.

smslavin
02-15-2012, 09:55 AM
I could probably do Sunday the 15th. Shouldn't be a problem to clear it with the wifey.

plan d
03-19-2012, 05:44 PM
update on argentine pass. went 4 mi up 248.1, 1a and 1b. the main road 248.1 is clear of trees. 1A was blocked on a switchback perventing access to the upper trail network. hard to tell how many trees were down as the snow is still deep on that side. 1B is a mess to completely clear the trail about 17 trees and branches would have to be cut and moved. may be more, hard to tell what is under 6' of snow. however at the upper creek crossing some s**t for brains toothless mother f**k. was useing it as a shooting range and left clays everwhere including in the ck. which will be a pain to get out when high water comes flowing down. been picking up their trash a little bit each time i'm up there. Maybe you could give them a shooting range on one of the spurrs off 1A, so they have a place to go.

Uncle Ben
03-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Right now I'm thinking Sunday 4/15 will be Argentine, Monday 4/16 will be Jenny Creek. I'm not expecting to get very far driving, so there will be a fair amount of hiking/snowshoeing involved methinks.

Then leave your chains at home and drive the whole way! :lmao: Farmers Almanac predicts a very snowy April this year.

subzali
03-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the update! How was the snow? What are you driving that you are able to make it up there? Are you on a sled?

IMO, the whole Leavenworth Valley is a poor place to shoot. People like to shoot across the creek from the north side to the south side, but little do they know that there are trails on the south side! :banghead:

subzali
03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Then leave your chains at home and drive the whole way! :lmao: Farmers Almanac predicts a very snowy April this year.

Le sigh...

plan d
03-19-2012, 06:47 PM
agreed, but if they have a designated place then it will be safe and they won't leave there trash along the trail. don't think signs will stop them, just look at barbour fork.

no sled just legs and two trips. on "B" rd. anywhere from bare ground to 6' where most of the downed trees are. "A" rd. is much deeper. main rd. about the same as "B".

subzali
03-19-2012, 07:22 PM
agreed, but if they have a designated place then it will be safe and they won't leave there trash along the trail. don't think signs will stop them, just look at barbour fork.

no sled just legs and two trips. on "B" rd. anywhere from bare ground to 6' where most of the downed trees are. "A" rd. is much deeper. main rd. about the same as "B".

Cool. Is it consolidating yet?

subzali
04-09-2012, 03:25 PM
BUMP

See updated first post...

See you Sunday!

subzali
04-12-2012, 02:29 PM
So for those of you that are planning on coming, could you post up in this thread to confirm? Just so I can get an idea of how many and who to wait for. Thanks!

rover67
04-12-2012, 03:13 PM
i'll be out of town for work, sorry amigo..

Inukshuk
04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm out. All focus on work and Utah prep.

theboomboom
04-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Wish I could say I'd be there for sure, it kinda depends on if they call the Rockies game on Sunday because of weather. Jen got us tickets...

smslavin
04-13-2012, 09:37 AM
So for those of you that are planning on coming, could you post up in this thread to confirm? Just so I can get an idea of how many and who to wait for. Thanks!

I will check in with the social coordinator later today and let you know.

Red_Chili
04-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Out. Dog show.

baja1d
04-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Can't make it... My engine swap became a little complicated.