PDA

View Full Version : Jenny Creek tree investigation

subzali
01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
What do y'all think is a reasonable time to get up to Jenny Creek to do a first tree investigation similar to what I mentioned in the Argentine thread? Is April too early? May? June?

Red_Chili
01-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Usually it is a June trek but this year has been dry. I would bet April is way too early unless you bring snowshoes!

subzali
01-31-2012, 07:43 AM
I guess my plan is to bring snowshoes. Hopefully I can drive high enough to get close, then hike the rest of the way and take inventory of what's up there. I'd like to get in there before it's accessible to vehicles, because if people come upon fallen trees while on dirtbike, ATV, or truck, then they may try to find an alternate way around, which would be no good.

Uncle Ben
01-31-2012, 07:56 AM
I guess my plan is to bring snowshoes. Hopefully I can drive high enough to get close, then hike the rest of the way and take inventory of what's up there. I'd like to get in there before it's accessible to vehicles, because if people come upon fallen trees while on dirtbike, ATV, or truck, then they may try to find an alternate way around, which would be no good.

Matt, I'll get up there soon and check out Rollins Pass. If it's safe to get around the shelf road I bet we could almost take WR most of the way up. I'm guessing the snow will get impassible and the dilapidated cabin as usual. I'll take a long lunch soon and see what RP conditions are.

rover67
01-31-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm not sure, but I think earlier is better especially since we need to probably book time with the BRD so we can get them going on sawing some trees. Adam already picked days to have them come up to MSV with him and clear trees, I was planning on just trying to pick a day this spring and hope for the best. It's not closed in winter, so we don't get the vehicles held off until it's cleared like MSV, so it will be interesting to see how it will work out. If we pick a day too late in the season to head up with the FS then it will be "too late".

I'd Honestly be OK just getting up there and sawing trees just us, knowing it's not kosher with the FS, but really if we don't jump on it this year, and it's as bad as i've heard, people will drive around or do a crappy job of clearing.

Uncle Ben
01-31-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure, but I think earlier is better especially since we need to probably book time with the BRD so we can get them going on sawing some trees. Adam already picked days to have them come up to MSV with him and clear trees, I was planning on just trying to pick a day this spring and hope for the best. It's not closed in winter, so we don't get the vehicles held off until it's cleared like MSV, so it will be interesting to see how it will work out. If we pick a day too late in the season to head up with the FS then it will be "too late".

I'd Honestly be OK just getting up there and sawing trees just us, knowing it's not kosher with the FS, but really if we don't jump on it this year, and it's as bad as i've heard, people will drive around or do a crappy job of clearing.

I totally agree with that! That has been my intention all along.

thefatkid
01-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Could you get a firewood permit? One of the ones that allows harvesting of fallen trees? Then you could go and clear the trail on the day of the permit?

smslavin
01-31-2012, 08:34 AM
I'd be up for this one too

subzali
01-31-2012, 08:37 AM
Could you get a firewood permit? One of the ones that allows harvesting of fallen trees? Then you could go and clear the trail on the day of the permit?

Yes, at least in the CCRD that is certainly an option. If you're not taking anything home, though, not sure there's an issue with the FS.

60wag
01-31-2012, 09:18 AM
Any interest in skiing the trail while it has snow on it? I haven't done it in some years but it's a fun loop to do from the Eldora parking lot.

subzali
01-31-2012, 09:26 AM
I'd be game if it's after April 13. There should still be snow then right? I've got skins, but no avy gear. Also have snowshoes.

60wag
01-31-2012, 09:38 AM
It's not prone to avalanches so no beacons needed. Show shoes will work but it'd take twice as long because you'd have to walk down the fun part :)

The loop I've done goes up the Guinn Mountain trail to the pipe line and then down near the Boulder Wagon Road to the top of Jenny Creek.

Fishy
01-31-2012, 09:51 AM
I'd be in for a snowshoe trip at anytime as well.

subzali
02-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Cool, thinking that for myself personally I would be game to check out Jenny Creek on Monday 4/16. I'm gonna need a day off of work after my PE exam anyway ;)

Not sure how far we're going to get by driving, so probably will be more of a hiking/skiing/snowshoeing trip to see what's going on.