PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Ipad/Iphone apps and accessories

Caribou Sandstorm
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Thought this would be a good thing to start sharing.

Today I just picked up a Targus wireless keyboard for my Ipad2. Very easy to set up and the keyboard is wider then the Ipad making it a bit w=easier to type then the keyboards built into the covers.

Got it at Radio Shack for 39.00 on sale through this Saturday. Not sure if that was a great sale, I guess it was 59.00 and they said they got them in before Christmas. I bought the extended warranty for 2 years for 10.00 more dollars.

I know the extended warranties are kind of a waist but my Ben can break plastic with his eyes...:)

Also, my favorite apps so far are the Starbucks locator app and the app that records your speed while skiing!

Jacket
02-01-2012, 04:55 PM
My wife and I were playing family feud on the Ipad last night :cool: :homer:

CardinalFJ60
02-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I have one called "offline topo maps" and dan1554 here on the board has a similar but better version. it's cool and simple.

Weather apps: I have like 4 of'em (nerd alert), but my favorites are the NOAA HD and "living earth". NOAA for regular radar maps, and forecasts....Living Earth for the sheer beauty of the app - it's simple, has a gorgoues UI, and actually shows you the weather info you want at a glance.

Games...well...to fight off "old-timers"...I'm hooked on Words w/Friends. I have all the others. (those pissed off birds, the one with tiny wings, Where's my Water is cool and cut the rope) those are my faves.

News...I have the CNN and AP apps. nice to check in on when you hit Green River after three days in the Swell.;):D

Wine: for you winos out there...get the WTSO app. (I've gotten Silver Oak for $38/bottle shipped - 'nuf said. )

HAM: ARRL's repeater locator and Database + the General exam prep.

Travel: I70 cams, SAS survival app.

:cheers:

rover67
02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Wine: for you winos out there...get the WTSO app. (I've gotten Silver Oak for $38/bottle shipped - 'nuf said. )

:cheers:

Napa or Alexander Valley ;)

OilHammer
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I used the exam prep for the HAM test as well. Pretty effective, especially if you spend a good bit of time on the throne or on the Light Rail and want to be more productive. Heh...TMI It only took me about 2 days flipping around in that app to go in and pass the test. It's the "Amateur Radio Exam Prep:" series. Start with the free one, but you don't see all the questions until you purchase it. LOTS of the questions were verbatim on the actual test.

CardinalFJ60
02-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Napa or Alexander Valley ;)

aaaah....very wise question. it was the Alexander Valley for that price, but I did pick up the Napa Valley one time for $58.

Kipper
02-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Tower Madness!

Best tower defense game ever. I've been playing it for almost 3 years now and I still love it.

Caribou Sandstorm
02-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Alexander Valley has many older vineyards than Napa.

My parents lived near there and the stuff from there is pretty amazing.

My kids discovered "cut the rope" game, pretty tame and safe for little ones to play. Amazing at how good they are at these games.

Blair hooked my up with a great map app, can't think of the name of right now.

Also at Radio Shack saw a head rest holder for the ipad, in case you want to use it for kids to watch a movie.

http://us.cygnett.com/ipad/cargo.html The shack has this for 29.00

rover67
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
not knocking Alexander valley, but $38 for a bottle of Silver Oak from Napa would be a killer deal that I wouldn't want to pass up!!!!!

corsair23
02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
No Temple Run posted up yet? Seems to be the current fad although IMO a lot easier to play on an iTouch/iPhone than the Pad :)

CardinalFJ60
02-02-2012, 02:57 PM
not knocking Alexander valley, but $38 for a bottle of Silver Oak from Napa would be a killer deal that I wouldn't want to pass up!!!!!

you, my friend know your wine. I couldn't agree with you more! :cheers: :thumb:

Hulk
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
My favorite app for the iPhone is Hipstamatic.

My favorite apps for the iPad are iBooks and the Amazon Kindle app. Also, the Slate app is great for reading news analysis.

smslavin
02-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Flipboard
Penultimate
GoodReader
Kindle
iBooks
iTunes U
Pandora
Dropbox
MotionX GPS HD
Gaia GPS
Google Earth
Samurai II
Grand Theft Auto
Plants vs Zombies
Pro Zombie Soccer
Sword & Sworcery
DrawRace2 HD
Reckless Racing HD

simps80
02-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Actionswing :D :o :D :o :o

don't laugh its simplicity belies its addictive nature.
my kids hate it, but then again they've never seen an Atari before.

Rezarf
02-05-2012, 07:35 AM
We got an Ipad for Christmas, thanks for posting this thread, I am still unsure of what it "really" does. I like how intuitive it is, and my 2.5 year old teaches me stuff about it. He can turn it on, find netflix, and fire up curious George by himself.

Favorite app so far: Fruit Ninja

Favorite accessory: Apple TV... man I love that thing. With Netflix it is unstopable.

rover67
02-05-2012, 09:33 AM
So are there any map apps that I could use offline? Like if we only have a regular ipad that only has WIFI, can something be helpful at E hill say perhaps?

CardinalFJ60
02-05-2012, 09:42 AM
and I think it's actually called that. "offline topo maps". while connected you can get all the maps buffered (for lack of a better term). but you can dowload maps and map sections to pull up at any time. used it in the Swell...and it was. :-)

nakman
02-05-2012, 09:43 AM
So are there any map apps that I could use offline? Like if we only have a regular ipad that only has WIFI, can something be helpful at E hill say perhaps?

Yes, look at GPS Drive MotionX and GPS HD Motion X. basically you cruise around when you have a connection and save maps to the hd, then when you're in the boonies you still have it.

Romer
02-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Yes, look at GPS Drive MotionX and GPS HD Motion X. basically you cruise around when you have a connection and save maps to the hd, then when you're in the boonies you still have it.

Does the wifi only have GPS capability when it cant get a wifi connection? The main reason I bought the 3G version wasto have a built in GPS. It's pretty damn accurate

I use both the programs Tim mentioned and they are pretty good. My difficulty came in understanding the file settings before you downlaod for each map. Blair helped me with that

nakman
02-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Does the wifi only have GPS capability when it cant get a wifi connection? The main reason I bought the 3G version wasto have a built in GPS. It's pretty damn accurate

I use both the programs Tim mentioned and they are pretty good. My difficulty came in understanding the file settings before you downlaod for each map. Blair helped me with that

I really haven't messed with it much. I took my iPad to the Maze, was going to mess with it at night but then it got cold and wouldn't even turn on... so I just put it away and did other stuff. I do have 3G Verizon which seemed to work a lot better down there than AT&T. I'm not sure how it could know where you are though without having a 3G connection.

Romer
02-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I really haven't messed with it much. I took my iPad to the Maze, was going to mess with it at night but then it got cold and wouldn't even turn on... so I just put it away and did other stuff. I do have 3G Verizon which seemed to work a lot better down there than AT&T. I'm not sure how it could know where you are though without having a 3G connection.

The 3G units have a built in GPS chip that works whether the 3G is on or not. The wifi does not. At least thats what I read

DaveInDenver
02-05-2012, 11:33 AM
The 3G units have a built in GPS chip that works whether the 3G is on or not. The wifi does not. At least thats what I read
This is correct, the 3G version has GPS and the WiFi version does not. The GPS functionality is part of the cell modem and obviously Apple decided that it was not worth designing a non-cell version with a standalone GPS chipset. The reason someone would presumable get a non-3G is price and every penny spent on NRE and components dinks profit.

Rezarf
02-06-2012, 10:11 AM
FWIW, there is a RAM mount for the ipad, turning it into a HUGE GPS on the dash. Anyone have one?

smslavin
02-06-2012, 10:43 AM
FWIW, there is a RAM mount for the ipad, turning it into a HUGE GPS on the dash. Anyone have one?

I just did this.

http://distilleryimage3.s3.amazonaws.com/191a0e704ad511e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

Pretty happy with it. Totally solid. It's the wifi model but I picked up a BadElf (http://www.badelf.com) gps puck. Still figuring out which map app I like but I'm leaning towards MotionX GPS HD at the moment although the topos in Gaia are very nice.

Jacket
02-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Drew - there is also an Ipad/GPS thread or two on Mud, I think in the Electronic Toys forum, if you want to take a look at some other ideas for mounts.

nakman
02-06-2012, 10:53 AM

I do have one. It's huge, I tried it for one trip then took it out. You want to borrow it for a while? You'd need to get a different base, as I was using one that I made for the 100 dash..

Jacket
04-16-2012, 10:43 AM
My new addiction - fun for all you dirt bikers.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bike-race-free-by-top-free/id510461758?mt=8

Caribou Sandstorm
04-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Just downloaded it!

Btw, both Blair and I have the IPAD Ram mount.

You need to also secure it up high on the mounting pole, cause it wobles a bit if you don't.

ttubb
04-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Just downloaded iHAM locate. What a great app this is for one who travels. T

Romer
04-16-2012, 12:29 PM

This is what I came up with. It swivels so the passenger can use it

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=554533&stc=1&d=1315610985

Thread is here http://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/516464-ipad-ram-mount-holder.html

powderpig
04-17-2012, 08:05 AM
The BadElf stuff looks cool. I wonder how much better this GPS equipment is over the apple stuff built in on the 3/4 g stuff.
Man is there a bunch of aps for gps programs. Real cool to see it embraced.

wesintl
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Just downloaded iHAM locate. What a great app this is for one who travels. T

seems ok to locate repeater info.

I think i'm going to give OpenAPRS a try. It seems pretty cool.

RockRunner
04-23-2012, 02:42 PM
"Square"

for me is the best. Allows me to take credit cards at the concession stand and for my home remodeling.

dan1554
04-23-2012, 03:12 PM
I have one called "offline topo maps" and dan1554 here on the board has a similar but better version. it's cool and simple.

Here is the one I use: http://topomapsapp.com/ipad.html

I haven't used any other topo apps, but it seems to work pretty well.

Rezarf
08-21-2012, 02:45 PM
I thought I'd bring this up again...

Got another iPad last night that will be a non-family dedicated unit. I hope to make it into a work/play platform. Mine is gonna get tossed around a bit so I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations...

3 New Questions:
1. I am looking at cases right now, the accessories are overwhelming. Has anyone used one of the keyboard/case things... basically a hardshell for the screen that when opened has a stand and keyboard on the underside? I may just go for some of those clear skins and toss it into a pelican case made for the iPad2. Thoughts? For work, I will be taking this thing in and out of its case a dozen times a day if I use a hard case to transport in my backpack.

2. Screen protectors? Anyone have one that works well and doesn't cloud up the resolution? Zagg? Thinking of the iCarbons back panel thingy for looks and scratch protection. :rolleyes:

3. GPS Mounts again... trying to figure out something that will work well in all our cars, but it looks like hard mounting is the only real option. If that is the case then something for the 40 would be my first priority.

Thanks for the map stuff, it is super cool once you learn how to play with it. :thumb:

wesintl
08-21-2012, 02:47 PM
I think this is your speed ;)

I'm not sure why you would want to make a tablet a laptop with a keyboard but to each their own.

http://cdn.speckproducts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/g/iguyfamily001.1.jpg

Rezarf
08-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks Wes, anyone else?

Uncle Ben
08-22-2012, 10:15 AM
If you add this app the world is yours!

http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/modem.jpg

Caribou Sandstorm
08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
I have the Brookstone built in keyboard case. I bought it before I researched but it does have good reviews. The battery life on the keyboard is really long.

I wanted a case like this after I dropped my last Ipad2.

Also in case some are not aware, the old Apple care was 79.00 with no drop coverage, other than yo can replace your broken Ipad for $250.00. The new Apple care is 99.00 and I believe includes 2 drop replacements.

Also I have the RAM mount for the car. Works pretty well, the bar wobbles a bit but you can usually figure out how to secure it. I like the bar to the seat mount bolt because I did not have to drill into the dash.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I think this is your speed ;)

I'm not sure why you would want to make a tablet a laptop with a keyboard but to each their own.

http://cdn.speckproducts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/g/iguyfamily001.1.jpg

I almost got one of these for the kids but the reviews were kind of mixed..

Rezarf
08-22-2012, 11:55 AM
I just ordered a pelican 1066cc case and a Zagg screen protector... We'll see how that works out for now.

Caribou Sandstorm
08-22-2012, 12:05 PM
I just ordered a pelican 1066cc case and a Zagg screen protector... We'll see how that works out for now.

I could not find a 1066 just 1065. Does the 1066 have a keyboard? The 1065 looks like a great hardshell case.

wesintl
08-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Speaking of cases...

what do people like for iphone 4s'? I need a new one and my otter box commuter kinda sucks

Caribou Sandstorm
08-23-2012, 02:28 PM
I have the OtterBox, I like it.

I had the LifeProof one for a day, hated it. I like the tactile feel of the Iphone screen, the LifeProof has a thin flimsy plastic cover that I did not like, also hard to hear.

Romer
08-23-2012, 02:34 PM
I have the otterbox defender

corsair23
08-23-2012, 02:49 PM
I have the otterbox defender

x2

Well, actually the :Princess: has one. I don't rate high enough up the family food chain to get a smart phone :hill:

nakman
08-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Running an orange Magpul, $10 free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magpul-iPhone-4-4S-Case-2nd-GENERATION-Orange-MAG451ORG-/251111854648?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a776ed238

and you can support a local company who designed, prototyped, injection molded, and distributed right here in Colorado. plus they have sweet calendars

sno bored
08-23-2012, 02:54 PM
I have a otterbox defender in black that I used for about two weeks, it's in the box with all the stuff. I will bring it to the rally if anyone wants to buy it. $40

It's totally bombproof, it was just a little too bulky for me.

Romer
08-23-2012, 04:27 PM
It does come down to what do you need. The defender is bulkiy, BUT it also has a belt clip thats easy to pop the phone in and out of AND the case itself keeps drops from hurting the phone.

I needed those 3 things. There actually was a review on iphone cases in Zartmans Toyota magazine. There was another one in there that was promising, but after looking at it I stuck with the defender. I got another one (green) as everyone has black and was hard to tell phones apart

Caribou Sandstorm
08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
This is more of a "got to have" app like the thread Corbet started back in feb.

I just found a free fax app, FaxBurner. Very easy to use and best of all free!!

You need to be able to send a fax to submit your national park reservation form! ;)

Inukshuk
08-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Anyone have a iPad RAM windshield mount I could borrow for the Ouray trip to test out?

mikeyhcrana
08-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Avenza PDF Maps is my favorite map/GPS app. You can put any PDF map in there and the iPhone will use GPS to show your location. Works great on MVUM's, and its really easy to find free topo/MVUM based on location.

http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps

Oh and, best game is, Hill Climb Racing!

nakman
08-27-2013, 10:04 AM
I just got a free app called Vinny. It's a barcode scanner for vehicles- run it across the bar code in the windshield of any modern vehicle and it'll pull up its present value, a little history, kinda like a free carfax. With of course, the option to pay more for "more of the story," should it uncover something intriguing.

wesintl
08-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Don't start playing candy crush...

Inukshuk
08-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Ordered the RAM-B-166-TAB3U: RAM Suction Cup Twist Lock Mount with Tab-Tite Cradle for the Apple iPad. Will report back after Ouray.

CardinalFJ60
08-28-2013, 04:50 PM
curious how the windshield mount works and the visibility. I have this in my 60

RAM Mount Description:
RAM POD I universal No-Drill™ vehicle mount with non-locking cradle for the Apple iPad & iPad 2. The base of the mount clamps to your seat rail without any drilling necessary. Connected to the base is a 18" rigid flexible rod that can be bent to position your device to it's optimum viewing location. The RAM POD I will hold everything you need safely and securely.

Material:
High Strength Composite and Powder Coated Marine Grade Aluminum

Product Number:
RAM-B-316-1-AP8

Caribou Sandstorm
08-28-2013, 05:18 PM
I have the same one as you. Wiggles a little, need to secure it at mid extension, some how. I actually broke the retention part that you stretch to insert the ipad and remove it. I found just this part by it self for $20.00 on Amazon.

OilHammer
09-06-2013, 04:35 PM
I think your dash walrus has been gnawing on your steering wheel. Best to put him back in the ocean I think.

CardinalFJ60
09-06-2013, 04:35 PM
LOL!!!!:lmao::lmao:

Inukshuk
09-06-2013, 10:38 PM
dash walrus

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Duh - its a CARDINAL

RAM mount in action. This model (RAM-B-166-TAB3U: RAM Suction Cup Twist Lock Mount with Tab-Tite Cradle for the Apple iPad, iPad 2, HP TouchPad) fits most tablets and iPads with cases. You can get all teh parts separately. The spring loaded holder is plenty secure. RAM has longer clamping arms and different ball mounts, so I could see using the longer arm and a ball mounted to the center console to have the iPad down low.

The ball is rubber coated metal. The clamping link is a plastic with a spring to open it as you loosen. The suction cup is solid. They make longer clamps and extension bars.

I imagine I will wedge a bit of towel or put some foam on the holder corners so it can be braced against the dash and windshield when offroad. Onroad the thing does not shake.

ttubb
09-08-2013, 06:59 PM
I have a 36inch TV that I plan on mounting on my dash to provide full display capabilities of all the progams available. Pics to follow.....:thumb: