PDA

View Full Version : Oil Separator?

corsair23
02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Now I remember why I rarely get on MUD...I end up seeing something that I want to buy or maybe a mod I think I should do :rolleyes:

Like this one:

Oil Separator (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/449629-installed-oil-seperator-my-80-a.html)

Thoughts? Seems so simple that even I could do it in under...a day :hill:

But then I think...my LX and 80 have been on the road for 14+ years and have ~140K miles so why mess with it...

60wag
02-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I saw that thread too. A healthy engine shouldn't be pushing much oil up into the intake manifold. If the PCV is operating correctly, and the blowby is minimal, the separator is won't be needed.

corsair23
02-08-2012, 01:18 AM
I saw that thread too. A healthy engine shouldn't be pushing much oil up into the intake manifold. If the PCV is operating correctly, and the blowby is minimal, the separator is won't be needed.

That was my thought but there are some "well known" MUD'rs that have hopped on the bandwagon...I guess a person could throw a separator on there and see just how well things are operating and use the results to determine if other things need attention.

Hulk
02-08-2012, 02:43 AM
This is pretty interesting. I think I might give this a try.

Red_Chili
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Interesting. Probably even more applicable with a blower.

Oh... and a pet peeve of mine... there is a RAT in sepARATe.

Some spelling errors are so common no one knows how to spell a word anymore... :lmao:

Corbet
02-18-2012, 10:09 AM
I've been thinking about that mod too. But not going to bother until I have the time to pull my intake and clean it as well as replace that stupid little valve under it causing my P401 code. I've had the replacement valve for 4 years now. I guess its not that important to me:o

CO Hunter
02-18-2012, 11:53 AM
You don't need to pull the intake to get at that valve, a long extension will get you there from under the truck.

I'm also liking the idea of the separator, it's on the to do list.

74fj40
02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm with redchili, an oil seperator is much more desirable on a forced induction application.

Corbet
02-18-2012, 12:40 PM
You don't need to pull the intake to get at that valve, a long extension will get you there from under the truck.

I've heard that but not tried it yet. Either way I probably need to pull the intake to clean it out too.

Crash
02-18-2012, 01:03 PM
I have the can shown at this link that isn't being used: http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp If you are interested in it, shoot me a pm. It was used on a 1FZE with and without a turbo. It worked very well in either application.

Inukshuk
02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
I've heard that but not tried it yet. Either way I probably need to pull the intake to clean it out too.

Having just cleaned an intake that was already out, there is not really much to clean. Throttle body can benefit from cleaning and 90% of that can be done on the truck, and its easier to remove than the rest of the intake.

Also, parts off my engine - which always had synthetic oil - were MUCH cleaner, not crusty at all, as opposed to the ones of the donor engine which had dino.

BreckBJ44
02-18-2012, 05:28 PM
We use them in diesels all the time... The 3b has a vent-to-atmosphere off of the side cover. Not how do I make one to work with the turbo!?