PDA

View Full Version : DIY rack fairing?

Fishy
02-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I have a new Gamiviti Expo rack on my rig and I'd like to make a wind fairing for it instead of just buying one. The problem I'm having is finding a piece of plexiglass or lexan that is at least 50" long.

Home Depot sells 4'x3' (almost long enough) sheets for $80 but for that price, I can just buy the 50" Yakima one. Buying would be easier, but I'd like to make one if I can find the plexiglass in the right size. At least 50"x12" is what I'm looking for.

Any ideas?

Fish

rover67
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
I have used these folks in the past for plastics. They can cut whatever you need. I usually get a rectangle of close to the right size then finish it with a jig saw.

Every 4th friday they have a remnant sale too....

http://www.coloradoplastics.com/

DaveInDenver
02-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Another is Plasticare, closer to us on the southside.

http://www.plasticareinc.com/

Also check Craigslist, there's usually Yakima and Thule fairings that go for about $30 typically.

nakman
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Stan I'd pick up a used fairing off CL.. you'd be hard pressed to DIY for under $50 when you factor in the mounting hardware. Even if you get a smaller one today, if you decide you want a bigger one later you could recycle all the mounts, and just swap out the plastic part with a larger piece of plastic. But the small one may be enough to knock down the wind noise anyway.

And to make all the Yakima stuff work, try a 1" section of sprinkler tubing, split lengthwise. Then snap the tubing over the bar, which quickly turns the 1" bar into a 1.125" bar.

Fishy
02-08-2012, 07:26 PM
I found exactly what I was looking for at Plastic Care Inc. Thanks Dave!
Picking up a piece of of 55x12 plexiglass tomorrow for $23. Hoping I can just cut it to shape with a Dremel Tool. Now I just have to fab some brackets....

Gerdo
02-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I usually go to Regal Plastics. Great prices and they are easy to work with.

I have made a few fairings but I use 1/4" ABS. I have had them on vehicles for 10 years or more with zero issues. still they clean up and look as good as the day I made them.

ABS is usually black, cuts great without chipping, sands great to soften the edges, flexes well to get a curve, has a textured side and a smooth side (I use the texture side out) and it's durable as anything.

Fishy
02-08-2012, 08:52 PM
I usually go to Regal Plastics. Great prices and they are easy to work with.

I have made a few fairings but I use 1/4" ABS. I have had them on vehicles for 10 years or more with zero issues. still they clean up and look as good as the day I made them.

ABS is usually black, cuts great without chipping, sands great to soften the edges, flexes well to get a curve, has a textured side and a smooth side (I use the texture side out) and it's durable as anything.

I'll take a look at that tomorrow too. Thanks.

RockRunner
02-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Another is Plasticare, closer to us on the southside.

http://www.plasticareinc.com/

Also check Craigslist, there's usually Yakima and Thule fairings that go for about $30 typically.

X2 they are good people.

Beater
02-09-2012, 08:04 AM
you could do my favorite - an 80 running board cover cut to size.

60wag
02-09-2012, 08:10 AM
I found exactly what I was looking for at Plastic Care Inc. Thanks Dave!
Picking up a piece of of 55x12 plexiglass tomorrow for $23. Hoping I can just cut it to shape with a Dremel Tool. Now I just have to fab some brackets....

Plexiglass as in Acrylic? That won't hold up too well. The UV will yellow it, it will develop lots of small micro cracks which lead to a big crack. Lexan (polycarbonate) would hold up better is you want something clear. Black ABS would be the best.

Rzeppa
03-19-2012, 01:28 PM
I just saw this thread (WAY behind here). I have a Yakima roof rack fairing free to good home. You're welcome to it Stan.

corsair23
03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I just saw this thread (WAY behind here). I have a Yakima roof rack fairing free to good home. You're welcome to it Stan.

If Stan doesn't want it I'd certainly like to have it :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
03-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Just seeing this but to get the effect of the fairing, it does not have to go the width of the rack, unless that is what you want.

I have had a few racks and the last one, Rola, had a 3/4 faring, it worked very well.

Fishy
03-20-2012, 06:19 PM

I'd love the brackets for it! I made a fairing myself that works really well, but I can't come up with a good bracket system. Maybe Jeff and I can each use something from it?? Thanks for the offer! :thumb:

Rzeppa
03-21-2012, 11:25 AM
If Stan doesn't want it I'd certainly like to have it :thumb:

You're more than welcome to it. We had a too-close encounter of the roof rack kind with the garage door and the fairing came off. It didn't break the fairing but it did break the mounting brackets that held the fairing to the roof rack.

Rzeppa
03-21-2012, 11:26 AM
I'd love the brackets for it! I made a fairing myself that works really well, but I can't come up with a good bracket system. Maybe Jeff and I can each use something from it?? Thanks for the offer! :thumb:

Sorry, they broke (see above)...

:(

corsair23
03-21-2012, 01:46 PM
You're more than welcome to it. We had a too-close encounter of the roof rack kind with the garage door and the fairing came off. It didn't break the fairing but it did break the mounting brackets that held the fairing to the roof rack.

:cool:

Good for me, but bummer for Stan.

I'm in no hurry so next meeting you attend and remember the fairing would be perfect :thumb:

:cheers:

nakman
03-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey Stan what about plumbing clamps? I think those would work well for you, if you had a little fairing stick up above your top bar.

Either copper

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/039923/039923002662xl.jpg

or plastic?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41pyKXNrdUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fishy
03-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey Stan what about plumbing clamps? I think those would work well for you, if you had a little fairing stick up above your top bar.

Either copper

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/039923/039923002662xl.jpg

or plastic?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41pyKXNrdUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I tried the plastic ones just for the fit. In all honesty, the super duty extra wide zip ties let me keep the fairing tighter than I could with any bracket system. So much so, that I can mold the fairing around the front of the upside down basket.

Fishy
03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Sorry, they broke (see above)...

:(

Thanks for the offer. Sounds like the fairing is still going to a good home! :cheers:

Rzeppa
03-22-2012, 12:50 PM
:cool:

Good for me, but bummer for Stan.

I'm in no hurry so next meeting you attend and remember the fairing would be perfect :thumb:

:cheers:

:thumb:

Just give me a reminder. I do plan to be at the April meeting. Unless you want to come by and laugh at me watch me build my engine or swap it in...

;)