PDA

View Full Version : HG Check Passed

ttubb
02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
A few days ago I started my FZJ-80 only to experience the missing/rough running described by others who subsequently discovered a failed HG. I went online (Mud) and found the thread on "How to tell if your HG is failing". Great job posting this by Medtro.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/430839-how-tell-if-your-head-gasket-blown.html

Went to Autozone and bought one of these: Part #27145 and Fluid Part #25739.

Tested today and all is in the "blue" so it must have been an injector that leaked down. I know I could have borrowed one for free, but I intend to keep checking regularly (I have 165,000 miles on the engine).

I am a happy camper, and thanks to those who posted on the link above. What a great site!!

Thanks all, Terry

corsair23
02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Cool :thumb:

Might be the answer to rutbeer's truck dilemma :hill:

I do a Blackstone oil analysis once a year on each truck and they check for coolant in the oil (so far 0% on both rigs). But for additional peace of mind and in between the oil analysis each year, this might be something to use my Autozone GC on :D

Inukshuk
02-08-2012, 11:50 PM
The 170,000 used motor I bought and tore down was showing the start of HG failure. When mine went at 226,000 it had been leaking coolant a while into #1 and damaged the top of the block. Any way you slice it, its a big job. I am glad to have done almost a full rebuild when I saw the condition of all the rubber seals and Toyota FIPG.