PDA

View Full Version : Oh No! Not Another One!

subzali
02-10-2012, 08:50 AM
So a couple years ago I was told I couldn't get a promotion at work unless I got my P.E. license. I was told that I met every other qualification except that. Well the P.E. isn't something that you can just go get. You have to have 8 years of progressive engineering experience. So I had 4 from my ABET-accredited university, plus I needed another 4 working. I hit the 4-year mark this past June, but Colorado is pretty strict about the application submittal date, so even though there was an exam in October I had to wait past the submittal deadline for that exam before I could submit my application. I think they got the confirmation letter to me in time - there's still 2 weeks until the exam registration deadline :hill:

This also comes at a good time because my wife and I are going to be looking for a house this summer, and we're also expecting to become parents sometime in late July, so a promotion and a raise will be useful on many fronts :hill:

Now the pressure's on! :eek:

And yes they spelled "register" wrong :doh:

nakman
02-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Wow!! congrats, Matt. especially the kid part. :woot: :party:

PhatFJ
02-10-2012, 08:58 AM
Congrats Matt!!! On all fronts!! I am sure your hard work will pay off..

:thumb: :thumb:

DaveInDenver
02-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Nothing like keeping you on pins and needles. Just a couple of months and then you get to wait some more for the results, which will come about the same time as the kid. Talk about stress. Congrats!

Jacket
02-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Very cool Matt. You'll enjoy the raise, but you'll never see a penny of it. Diapers, bottles, spit rags, onesey's, diapers, and more diapers.

Congrats on all fronts!

Caribou Sandstorm
02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
Congrats Matt!

Hulk
02-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Congrats on your upcoming baby!!!

Also, congrats on being allowed to take the PE test. How hard is the test?

bomber22
02-10-2012, 11:49 AM
congrat's matt, children are always a blessing! and a pay increase and promotion iceing on the cake.

RicardoJM
02-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Nice news all around Matt - congradulations!!! :D

wesintl
02-10-2012, 12:00 PM
what? a little subzali.. congrats!

corsair23
02-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Very :cool: on the PE exam...best of luck!!

More importantly IMO though are CONGRATS on the news about a little Radar :D

:cheers:

Uncle Ben
02-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Thats very cool on all fronts Matt! I'm excited to hear about you becoming a dad! I guess we can attribute it to .....JeRa3RtBiIU :lmao::lmao::lmao::D

theboomboom
02-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Congrats!!!

subzali
02-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Congrats on your upcoming baby!!!

Also, congrats on being allowed to take the PE test. How hard is the test?

The Mechanical Engineering PE Exam is 1 day with 80 multiple-choice questions. The morning session is 4 hours long and has 40 questions that cover a breadth of mechanical engineering knowledge. After a 1 hour lunch break, the afternoon session is another 4 hours with 40 questions covering a depth topic. The exam is open-book, but only a basic calculator is allowed. You have to answer questions at about an average of 6 minutes per question. There are three depth topics to choose from: HVAC, Machine Design, and Thermal and Fluid Systems. In college my mechanical degree was designed around Machine Design, but I haven't been doing machine design at my job that I've had since graduating. Plus I wasn't all that good at it anyway, it didn't really interest me much. Most of what I've done here at Merrick would be better captured by the Thermal and Fluid Systems category, though I don't spend a lot of time doing calculations of any sort. Luckily I took Fluids I, Thermo I, Thermo II, and Heat Transfer during college, so I have a pretty good foundation. I didn't take Fluids II during college, but my work experience has made up for that pretty well. I wish the Thermo II at Mines would have covered less about internal combustion engines (even though it was fun :D) and more about combustion turbines, jet engines, and things like that, as that would be more useful for the exam questions. So I think I made the right choice going to Thermal and Fluid Systems, given that either that or Machine Design would have been difficult in its own way.

I think the average amount of study time is 300 hours. I've been studying since October, and probably have close to 100-150 hours so far. The passing rate is generally around 75% or so for the mechanical engineering exam (first attempt). So far I've probably been averaging 10-12 minutes per question on my practice exam, vs. the 6 minute per question I'll have on exam day. I'm scared :help:

Oh, and it doesn't help that exam day is Friday, April 13, 2012 :rolleyes:

The nice thing about the PE exam (for me) is that I took the EIT exam while still in college - which is a prerequisite to taking the PE Exam. The EIT pretty well summarizes the typical engineering curriculum - everything from Fluids to Circuits to Statics to Differential Equations. There is no way I would want to be 4+ years out of college and have to go back and know how to do all that stuff again. I can't remember basic differentiation and integration rules that were no-brainers back in the day. The PE Exam, on the other hand, focuses on practical applications of engineering concepts. It's more about knowing where to find information and how to manipulate the appropriate equations to reach the solution.

Thats very cool on all fronts Matt! I'm excited to hear about you becoming a dad! I guess we can attribute it to .....JeRa3RtBiIU :lmao::lmao::lmao::D

I always thought it was "Red Hot Love" - made more sense to me :rolleyes:

What is "Radar Love"? :confused:

wesintl
02-10-2012, 01:35 PM
http://www.savagechickens.com/images/chickenmultiple.jpg

rover67
02-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Dang man, congrats :) A baby!!

I have a feeling you'll pass the test too :)

PabloCruise
02-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Wow! I little one in July?!?

Awesome! Tons of fun!

Combined that with moving to a new house - even more fun.

Add a PE exam to things and this will be one of the best years (certainly most memorable) of your life!

As for the spelling in the letter - they are engineers! Not English majors...

Uncle Ben
02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
What is "Radar Love"? :confused:

Hmmmm...Do I really have to talk to you about this son? Ask your mother.... :rolleyes: :bowdown::Princess::D

Fishy
02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Awesome! Congrats on both! Sounds like another 100 owner in RS? If there is two things that go together better than a new baby and more money, I don't know what they are! Nothing in the world gives me more joy than my kids. 11yo, 5yo and 3yo identical twins.

subzali
02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
No, I still have a certain 80 on my mind...;)

Uncle Ben
02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
No, I still have a certain 80 on my mind...;)

Nice! An engineer who actually thinks! :thumb::thumb: ;)

Jacket
02-10-2012, 04:39 PM
What certain 80 would that be?

Lars
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Congrats... sounds like some big changes, but good ones

Fishy
02-10-2012, 05:41 PM
At least having a baby and moving into a new house aren't stressful. :eek:
You wouldn't want that on top of studying for the exam! And don't forget, 2001 and later 100's have the LATCH system for the car seat.;) That should ease your mind a little.

farnhamstj
02-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Congrats on the Baby!!!

AxleIke
02-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Best of luck on the exam Matt. More money is where it's at.

Old40Dog
02-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Congratulations Matt! You'll make great parents.

And, Yep, I knew it....there goes another 40!

subzali
02-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Congratulations Matt! You'll make great parents.

And, Yep, I knew it....there goes another 40!

Only if we get upside-down in something and absolutely need the cash! I'm too ashamed of my own mods to sell it to someone else! I don't want to be a PO! :hill:

Old40Dog
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
I just couldn't resist Matt! :lmao:

I knew you weren't going to just "give up the 40". Heck if its a boy, he's ready to wheel!

subzali
02-13-2012, 09:51 PM
What certain 80 would that be?

maybe this one? ;)
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=1747&stc=1&d=1150429239

DaveInDenver
04-14-2012, 06:50 AM
It was yesterday, wasn't it? Well Matt, how did it go? I know results are a few months away and you're probably in the mountains this weekend.

subzali
04-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Yep.

The morning was pretty easy, which is normal (as compared to the FE Exam). But then the afternoon was a lot more difficult. I knew this was going to be the case since I chose to go with thermal/fluid systems which I had some exposure to in college, but I probably should have paid better attention to in some of my classes :o

If 80% is passing, I think I made it. I think I probably got 2-4 wrong in the morning, and maybe 8-10 wrong in the afternoon, but that's just a guess because in the afternoon it came down to the wire and I had to make educated guesses on some of them, so for a few there's a 50/50 chance I got them right.

Oh well, just hope I never have to do this again.

subzali
05-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Pass! Still another 4-6 weeks before it's done and done, but at least I know I'll never have to take the exam again! :cool:

Fishy
05-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Awesome! Congratulations.....:thumb:

Did you really have to wait that long to get the results? Talk about waiting in limbo!

subzali
05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Awesome! Congratulations.....:thumb:

Did you really have to wait that long to get the results? Talk about waiting in limbo!

Actually this is the earliest that I've heard of people getting their results back. Some friends of mine who have passed previously have had to wait at least another week or two, so I'm happy!

nakman
05-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Great work Matt, well done. :thumb:

DaveInDenver
05-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Congrats Engineer.

My results came back in June or July I think.

smslavin
05-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Pass! Still another 4-6 weeks before it's done and done, but at least I know I'll never have to take the exam again! :cool:

congrats! :cheers: :thumb:

nakman
05-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey, so as an ME, do you have some specific area of focus? like are you better at torsions & springs, or better at buildings & bridges, or just an all-around dude? Just curious if there's a focus, presuming not all PE's are created equal. :confused:

do you know much about plastic part design? stuff like DFM, moldflow, etc.? that's my network..

DaveInDenver
05-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Just curious if there's a focus, presuming not all PE's are created equal.
We all have the same license, authority and responsibility. Matt and I took different tests (I took electrical and electronics) but there is no distinction made about what we can stamp beyond that we have to defend our reasoning and justify our approval with legal consequences, so it's in our best interest to stay within our area of expertise.

Cheeseman
05-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Great news Matt. You have a credential that is yours for life. Now go out and get that $$Million so you can retire.

rover67
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Sweet, nice work to both of you!!!

I have never even imagined I'd take that step, it seems so crazy hard!!!!

You guys rock!!

subzali
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Hey, so as an ME, do you have some specific area of focus? like are you better at torsions & springs, or better at buildings & bridges, or just an all-around dude? Just curious if there's a focus, presuming not all PE's are created equal. :confused:

do you know much about plastic part design? stuff like DFM, moldflow, etc.? that's my network..

I kinda described it as it relates to the test format in this post:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showpost.php?p=203949&postcount=14

The Mechanical PE exam is divided for a candidate to focus on one of three areas: HVAC, Machine Design, and Thermal and Fluid Systems (what I took).

The PE stamp doesn't differentiate between different disciplines. It's up to the person stamping the document to ensure they're stamping something that's in their field of expertise.

For me, my schooling was in machine design, so in theory I should be comfortable with FEA analysis, linkages, statics, dynamics etc. (which I am at least well enough to pass the exam questions). My work experience is more with industrial equipment, so I am comfortable with pumping systems (fluids), and some heat transfer and pressure vessel design. Besides taking the test for my own personal reasons, it's required at my company in order to get promoted beyond the level I'm at. But, in my group at my company I've never seen any mechanical PEs use their stamp on any documents. It's not usually required for us, more so for the electrical and structural documents.

But having the PE looks better on my resume and the company's resume that gets sent out when bidding on projects...

EDIT: I thought Dave would beat me to it...

smslavin
05-30-2012, 11:49 AM
My work experience is more with industrial equipment, so I am comfortable with pumping systems (fluids), and some heat transfer and pressure vessel design.

Nice. I build the automation software that runs those types of systems.

corsair23
05-30-2012, 07:36 PM
:woot:

CONGRATS Matt :thumb:

wesintl
05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
congrats Matt! baby time, woman's gotta be nesting by now :eek:

Uncle Ben
05-30-2012, 08:41 PM

Thats awesome Matt! Congratulations sir! :thumb::thumb::bowdown::bowdown::radar:

Corbet
05-30-2012, 08:59 PM
Congrats :cheers:

subzali
05-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone! :cheers:

congrats Matt! baby time, woman's gotta be nesting by now :eek:

Yeah, next step is looking for a house :eek:

Hulk
06-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Way to go, Matt! Glad to hear you passed.

Squishy!
06-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Congrats Matt! Very exciting time in life!