PDA

View Full Version : 7 Pin Modification

baja1d
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Just installed a "center diff lock" button on my 93 FJ80. After reading through Slee's website, I'm a little confused as to if I still need to preform the "7 pin modification" or not? Trying to work this out in my head. Here's what I've got so far, please correct me if my understanding is jacked.

1. Center Diff button allows me to lock in either "Hi" or "Low" range but has nothing to do with my axle lockers correct?
2. "7 Pin Mod" allows me to use my front and rear lockers in either "Hi" or "Low" but has nothing to do with my center diff correct?

To run my rig in "Hi range" with my center diff locked and both axles I need to preform both modifications

Uncle Ben
02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Close. # 1 is correct.
#2 is incorrect. 7pin mod disconnects allows low range WITHOUT the center diff lock. Normally when shifting into low range the module will activate the center diff lock, disconnecting that wire (pin 7) stops that signal.

subzali
02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Pin 7 mod from 80 series FAQ on MUD:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/2151-low-without-center-diff-locked.html

corsair23
02-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Here is how I understand and I still get confused :hill:

First off, I thought '94 and down FZJ80s came standard with the diff lock switch :confused: - I guess I'm wrong on that account...

Anway:

(1) CDL switch allows you to lock the center diff in high
(2) Center diff will still lock when you "shift" into low regardless of CDL switch if you have not done the pin 7 mod
(3) Pin 7 mod removes the automatic locking function of the center diff when shifting to low, so after the pin 7 mod you would need to push the "switch" to lock the center dif
(4) Lockers will only lock when the center diff is in a locked state (whether in high or low)

The "allure" of the pin 7 mod is that you can run the center diff in low range but NOT have the center diff locked. Helpful when you want to be in low range but you don't want the center diff locked and associated drive train bind - i.e. on a trail with tight turns

I recently read about a pin 13 15 mod (I think that was it) that removes or interrupts the locker logic of having to have to the center diff locked to engage the lockers. From what I read, doing the pin 15 mod would allow you to lock your rear and front lockers without having the center diff locked. I can't recall the reason behind wanting to do so. But, by putting in a CDL switch and doing both the pin 7 and pin 15 mods, all of the systems (supposedly) would truely be indepedent of one another. I can see how locking your rear axle, in high range, without the center diff locked, could be fun in the snow in an empty parking lot :D

{EDIT} I obviously type too slowly :hill:

baja1d
02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Okay... I think that I've got it now. Thank you for the quick replies.

baja1d
02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
This helped alot:

Stock setup:
Low: CDL Locked
High: CDL Unlocked

With CDL Button:
Low: CDL Locked
High: CDL controlled by button

With CDL Button and 7 pin mod:
Low: CDL controlled by button
High: CDL controlled by button

corsair23
02-13-2012, 04:44 PM
:thumb:

Oh, and if you are interested it is the "pin 15" mod (not 13 like I stated above) that allows you to have independent control over your lockers

Pin 15 Mod (http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/559805-silly-elockr-cdl-question.html)

baja1d
02-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Just did the 7 pin mod and center diff button on the 80. Great modification, wish I would have done this years ago. Anyone know where the thread is to do the "gray wire" (I think) mod on a 2000 Tacoma? It's the mod that allows you to lock your rear locker in "hi" or "low" range.

Jacket
02-14-2012, 01:13 PM
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=10

baja1d
02-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Awesome, Thank you