PDA

View Full Version : Boot Repair

DaveInDenver
02-14-2012, 07:47 AM
The glue finally gave up on the Vibram Clusaz soles in my set of Merrell Liberty Ridges, both in the same winter. :-(

I've previously had Steve Komito resole a pair of boots and would definitely go up to him again, but he's in Estes Park. When I last had him do work we lived in Arvada and the trip up wasn't a a biggie. I've also had rock shoes done at Rocky Mt. Resole in Salida and they'd surely do a good job.

In any case shipping to a well known resole shop is all fine and well, but I'd like to find a local shop in Denver or the south side who won't look at me funny when I ask about compatibility of Vertiage soles.

Beater
02-14-2012, 08:01 AM
well, there's always dardano's but, they are a factory setting, and not so high quality anymore. I have used both of these - and found them more than acceptable. Both do in house work, and are family businesses. I mostly have them do protective soles and heels. YL will do what you ask them though, which is a plus. i.e. only hand shine with no buffer wheel, no color, specific heel cuts, etc etc.

http://modernshoesrepair.com/

http://www.luggageshoerepair.com/

FWIW, I was trained as a cobbler for a bit, some 20 years ago while trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grew up.

MDH33
02-14-2012, 08:13 AM
I've had 2 pair of hiking boots resoled and repaired at Rocky Mountain Resole. They did a great job and their prices are fair. The vibram soles I had them use turned out great and are holding up really well.

subzali
02-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Is Rock and Resole still in business?

DaveInDenver
02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
I've had 2 pair of hiking boots resoled and repaired at Rocky Mountain Resole. They did a great job and their prices are fair. The vibram soles I had them use turned out great and are holding up really well.
I agree, they do great work. Like I say, there are options just trying to flush out a solid local-to-me outdoor boot shop. Lee @ Custom Foot told me once who to use but I've forgotten. Dean'll know when I talk to him.
Is Rock and Resole still in business?
AFAIK, yes. Last I heard they do non-rock shoe repairs ad hoc, so they'll do hiking or telemark boots if asked but don't solicit the work.

60wag
02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
I've used rock n resole several times for climbing shoes with great results. Call them and ask if they can take care of your boots.

rover67
02-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Rock n Resole has done my tevas several times.

I have only used Rocky Mountain Resole for boots.

I was more happy with rock n resole... it seemed like they did a better cleaner job. They were only tevas though.

I'd like to find a more boot oriented place local to us as well. My hiking are about due for new soles too.

bomber22
02-16-2012, 12:12 AM
I think it's around ward road & 58th around the cornner from king soopers next to the beer store i'm not sure but i think i'ts called JIM'S SHOE AND BOOT REPAIR. i'ts a friend of guy that i worked with at frontier airlines, tell him that i know bob and that my name is LARS, he might cut you a deal

L43dean
02-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Two pair of my Fabiano's need soles also. One of us needs to contact Lee at the "Custom Foot". By the way, he IS the man for custom moulded insoles. I would trust his resole recomendations. Is Roberto LaRosa around? Oh to bring us back, in a time machine, to Hans Wittman!

Romer
02-16-2012, 12:45 PM
I went to Tanner leather just south of 470 on parker road

bh4rnnr
02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Duct Tap works well:rolleyes:.

rover67
07-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Hey Dave,

Did you ever Identify a local place? Who'd you end up using?

My hiking boots are done. Gotta have soles put on before I use them again.

I was going to call Lee at the Custom Foot and ask for recommendations later today.

DaveInDenver
07-19-2012, 09:49 AM
I took sent them to Rocky Mountain Resole and picked them up as an excuse to stop in Salida. So solid local shops would still be appreciated.

rover67
07-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Just called custom foot, somebody other than Lee answered and said they'd take them to somebody local, but he wouldn't tell me who. I wasn't interested in bypassing Custom Foot, just curious who did the work. Oh well.

I guess I'll just send them to RMR

coax
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I'll also offer that I head up to Estes Park pretty much every weekend if someone wants something dropped off and picked up at Komito's. ( I work at A-hoe and I25)

rover67
07-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the offer Corey!

I ended up shipping them off to RMR. I hope they do a nice job, those boots have taken me a lot of places.

some before shots for the record.

Lars
07-19-2012, 02:06 PM
He's actualy at 64yj and Ward around the corner from the Kings. Has done good work for a coupe of things for me. I think it's around ward road & 58th around the cornner from king soopers next to the beer store i'm not sure but i think i'ts called JIM'S SHOE AND BOOT REPAIR. i'ts a friend of guy that i worked with at frontier airlines, tell him that i know bob and that my name is LARS, he might cut you a deal

coax
07-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the offer Corey!

I ended up shipping them off to RMR. I hope they do a nice job, those boots have taken me a lot of places.

some before shots for the record.

Are those Sundowners? I liked those boots. Still have a few pairs hanging around. Went through about a pair a season when I worked for the park service. The were beat to s**t though when I was done. I like wearing out gear...don't do it too much anymore with an office job :(

Jacket
07-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Are you just getting resoled, or are there other services? My leather Garmont's are a bit worn out on the inside and also leak water in at the seams. I wonder if they can be salvaged.

rover67
08-10-2012, 09:25 AM
some after pictures. I just got them back yesterday.

rover67
08-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Are you just getting resoled, or are there other services? My leather Garmont's are a bit worn out on the inside and also leak water in at the seams. I wonder if they can be salvaged.

Sounds like they can do a lot.

I paid $65 for a resole, and $15 for a clean and waterproof. The leather definitely look a bit better... at least to me.

Took 3 weeks including shipping back and forth and they seemed really nice. I called them about trying to make the liner stay in the boot better and it was kind-of a disaster on the phone. Sounded like she understood what I wanted, but the connection was horrible so we were having trouble understanding each other. Anyways, I also sent them an email and never heard back.. the status changed to shipped on their site and I got them a few days later. liner still the same.

anyways, I guess what I'm saying is they are nice and seem like good folks, but kinda hard to talk to. They advertise that they can fix a lot of stuff on boots, but I think they need to see them first. I think If I needed a lot of work done i'd either just go see them (which might be cool anyways) or visit the guy in Estes Park. One of the guys here at work also mentioned that there was a leather/boot shop in downtown Boulder off of Walnut near 15th. I haven't verified but I did do a quick search online that didn't turn up anything. It sounded like it was a pretty small place, so maybe a walk about would be in order.

either way I am happy with the boots, they are going to be nice for me.

DaveInDenver
08-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Rocky Mt Resole is not a big operation, I think it's just Peggy most of the time.

rover67
08-10-2012, 10:17 AM
That's what I figured.

She seemed super nice.

DaveInDenver
08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Speaking of resoles, anyone tried new soles on Sidi shoes? My Dominator 5 are essentially devoid of anything resembling soles and scratching my chin on what to do.