PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40

ToddyBear
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ40-350-/280826742250?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item41629405ea#ht_992wt_1167

This is my 6th FJ40 - a surprise birthday present 4 years ago. It was to be my last until life got in the way, and now I have no choice but to sell her.

She is unique in that she's a perfect mix of original, modification, and custom. Her body, lights, glass, dash, hooks, and even the door moldings are original. I chose to keep it that way until the original parts needed replacing. The last owner was a custom buggy fabricator who had purchased the FJ40 for his father. He was in the process of building the FJ40 with the front stinger, side rock guards and roll cage, when his father changed his mind. So the FJ40 sat for a year with a fresh Spitfire SB350 conversion, before my wife purchased it for me.

She drives all day at 70mph, and will take 80mph with confidence. I just installed METAL TECH's Full Roll Cage kit, including the front seat-cradle. She stops on a dime (quick double-pump - getting time for a seal rebuild), and prefers to start in second gear due to the extreme low first. Power steering works at higher RPMs (I think it needs a smaller pulley to help at crawling speeds). My wife wanted to be able to sit next to me, so when I installed the new Metal Tech Roll Cage, I also installed freshly renewed "Original" bench seats in the front. I have the rear (long) bench seats for the rear as well. When I replaced the cage, I needed to customize the gas filler piping into the gas tank - I haven't finished that.

The original door moldings work, but could use freshening. The doors and lock work, however the window cranks are worn and don't do much. Another "next on list" item. The wind shield wipers work, just have them off for freshening. She didn't come with side-view mirrors - I hadn't quite figured out which style I wanted. Her body is straight and clean - original paint! The floors are solid! The rear corners and seal are rusted, and the shackles need bushings. She's always passed Emissions.

She isn't perfect, by far. But she attacks more attention than any of my last FJs. There's something about her that attracts the Rock Crawler, and the Collector alike. Young and Old come over to look her over. She's pretty fun.

Since the purchase I have purchased and/or changed the following:
- Weld 12 X 15 Roadhawks
- Super Swamper IROC (radial) 37 X 12.50 R15 - Less than 500 miles (non off road)
- AGR Power Steering Pump
- Rear Polished Aluminum (still in plastic) Corner Panels (not installed)
- Rear Door Seal (not installed)
- Auto Tech Gauges
- Full METAL TECH ROLL CAGE
- Clutch Slave
- AMSOIL
- Original Style Reupholstered and Painted Bench Seats Front/Rear
- New Rear Drum Brake Pads
She comes with the following goodies:

Spitfire Chevy Small Block 350, with less than 1000 miles

- Headered with dual exhaust (outside frame rails).
- Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
- Edelbrock 650 CFM 4 Barrel Carb
- MSD Cap/Rotor/Wires
- GM HEI Distributor
- Headers/dual Exhaust (outside framerails)
- K&N Air Filter
- GM Power Steering, with AGR pump
- Original Radiator Rebuilt with High Density Core
- Auto Tech Oil Pressure
- Auto Tech Temp
- Original Gas and Battery Gauge works
- Painless Wiring

- SM 420 with EXTREME Granny Low First Gear

- Stock Toyota Vacuum-Actuated Transfer Case (works perfectly)

- 78' Axles (Open)
- Rancho 9000s (5 way adjustable)
- Fresh Front Disc Brake Pads
- Welded Tabs and Reinforcement for Front Hydraulic Steering
- 2 Super Swamper SSR 37 X 12.50 R15, one with aluminum 15 X 10 rim

- Lots of fun parts
- Compact Heater
- Shackles
- Rear Polished Aluminum Corner Panels
- Rear Door Seal
- Extra Custom Seat Brackets

RockRunner
02-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Price and pictures? Sounds like a nice rig.

Uncle Ben
02-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Price and pictures? Sounds like a nice rig.

x2

ToddyBear
02-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Hey Guys - tried downloading pics twice and nothing worked. I might have to shrink them a little and try again. I left the Ebay listing if you want 24 pics. The price is not set, but I will tell you I'm asking for no less than $8,000 ;)

I'll get some pics up

Todd

Uncle Ben
02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Hey Guys - tried downloading pics twice and nothing worked. I might have to shrink them a little and try again. I left the Ebay listing if you want 24 pics. The price is not set, but I will tell you I'm asking for no less than $8,000 ;)

I'll get some pics up

Todd

Fleabay links work fine!

Dimiscus
02-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I think i know your rig. Do you live in Greenfield? if its the one im thinkin of, this thing is sweet.

ToddyBear
02-15-2012, 06:42 PM
I sure do! And thanks!

Todd

baja1d
02-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Bummer Todd. I've still got some pictures of your rig from when I bought your original cage. I'll post up later. You still have your dirt bike right? Buraap!!!

baja1d
02-16-2012, 06:15 AM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=13795. Different cage now. I purchased this one off Todd a couple of years ago.

ToddyBear
02-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Hey! How are you? How's your 80?

Yeah, the entire family is sick :(

My ex-wife is coming at me again, and I'm tapped out (worst custody battle in last 30 years in state of Colorado), and absolutely have to sell it.

Thanks for the extra pics! How's your FJ40 project going?

And yes, I still have my Husaberg! Can't wait til Spring!

Talk soon!

Todd

Dimiscus
02-16-2012, 09:18 AM
I sure do! And thanks!

Todd

I thought so. I live in Greenfield too. I saw your truck almost everyday last fall when my daughter had soccer practice in the park on the south side. Awesome truck. I ended up getting an 80 and live off Kirk St. Wish this one was available last year when i was pondering getting a 40. Good luck with the sale and sorry about the situation.

ToddyBear
02-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks! Are you luvin your FJ80? Way fun that you're our neighbor! Don't be a stranger!

Todd

Dimiscus
02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Im lovin the 80. No regrets for sure. Still got some stuff to do to it but dont we all. For sure, we'll have to hang out sometime, get a beer, and do some wheelin when it warms up. If your up in my parts :D, the 80/LX450 is sitting on the street. Like i said, im off Kirk & Fair 1 block over from Liverpool, 3rd house north of Fair. Cant miss it cuz the beast is sittin in front. Hope to see you around.

ToddyBear
02-17-2012, 07:14 AM
I know exactly where you live! I look to the right every time I come in off Liverpool! Too Funny! Nice rig! I always thought it odd that someone in "conservative" Greenfield would have a lifted Family SUV! I've always been the stand-out : ( What do you think of my new Truck? Have you seen it?

Fun Talking - Todd - and I love beer : )

Dimiscus
02-18-2012, 08:35 AM
Sent you a PM so i wouldnt hijack your thread anymore.