PDA

View Full Version : WInter road trip for the wend?

cool breeze
02-29-2012, 09:07 PM
For now my wifey and I want to go on a road trip to get away for the weekend. Doesn't have to be 4x4 but will be taking the cruiser so some mild stuff is cool. Just don't wanna go anywhere too far off the path since we will be solo. Really just wanna take a cruise and see some beautiful scenery. Stay in a "cheap" hotel or maybe a koa for power for the night to relax with a dvd and some wine and nature. BUT don't wanna freeze our a$$es off :risk:
Thinking about 100 mile radius or so.

Whats ya'lls recommendations?

rover67
02-29-2012, 09:39 PM
drive to pagosa springs, ski wolf creek, then soak in the springs.

Last time I was there I didn't find an easy spot to plug in a heater. Maybe look for a cabin?

Uncle Ben
02-29-2012, 09:44 PM
drive to pagosa springs, ski wolf creek, then soak in the springs.

Last time I was there I didn't find an easy spot to plug in a heater. Maybe look for a cabin?

Just stay at the Springs....tad pricey but theres nothing like hitting the pools in the middle of the night when it's below zero! :thumb::thumb:

Fishy
02-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Might be a little too far, but my wife and I LOVE Chipeta Sun Lodge in Ridgway.
http://chipeta.com/
Well worth the drive for a weekend of relaxing, hot springs, wine and food. It's our favorite getaway. I wouldn't call it "cheap" but it's not even close to Aspen/Vail prices. Very affordable and well worth the drive. It doesn't suck to sit in the private rooftop hot tub while the sun comes up. That area of Colorado might be the prettiest place on Earth.

Hulk
02-29-2012, 10:47 PM
100 miles from Denver? You cannot go wrong with Glenwood Springs. We always stay in the Hotel Denver on the south side of the river. There is an excellent brewpub on the first floor, and it's a 5 minute walk over the bridge to the hot springs.

Jacket
02-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Buena Vista and/or Salida? Mt Princeton hot springs are nearby, the collegiate peaks are some of the most scenic in the state and you can wander around town (Salida) or keep it rustic and grab a cabin near BV.

Hulk
02-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Buena Vista and/or Salida? Mt Princeton hot springs are nearby, the collegiate peaks are some of the most scenic in the state and you can wander around town (Salida) or keep it rustic and grab a cabin near BV.

If you go to Salida, make sure to visit Amicas Pizza & Microbrewery (http://www.amicassalida.com/). One of my favorite places in Colorado.

cool breeze
03-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! The places suggested i wish we could afford right now but just out of our budget at this time but maybe later because those places look awesome!

For now think were gonna just go down the road to florence for an affordable trip. Got a motel on the cheap that's supposedly clean and allows dogs. Gonna stop by the winery in canon city for libations then go do some skinny dipping in the desert reef hot springs. Went there last spring and had a nice time.

Fishy
03-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Sounds like a great time! Don't forget your fly rods.... the stoneflies are moving on the Arkansas!
Enjoy! :thumb:

cool breeze
03-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Thanks, were super excited! need a weekend away for sure.