PDA

View Full Version : trail etiquette

nakman
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I admit it I can be a total hypocrite sometimes when it comes to sharing the trail. When I'm riding my mountain bike I don't like horses. When I'm hiking I don't like Jeeps. And when I'm 4-wheeling I don't like hikers or mountain bikes. But there's nothing worse than those damn motorcycles and ATV's.

Unless of course, you're on a motorcycle, then perhaps there's nothing better? So ok, now that you've crossed over to the dark side, what do you do so you're not be one of "those" guys?

Red_Chili
03-01-2012, 01:38 PM
ALWAYS pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and if a horse is involved SHUT DOWN THE MOTOR. Nothing worse than a guy who may pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and sits there blipping his throttle...

Oh, and when you pass a vehicle, you would be AMAZED how little throttle it takes to throw rocks into the windshield of the person you are passing. Or... face of the person on that hated ATV. If you can accelerate BEFORE you pass, then just roll past with the clutch held in, all the better.

nakman
03-01-2012, 02:33 PM
That's good to know about throwing rocks.. but tough to coast by when you're going uphill right? Can still lug it though.

How long should you wait behind a big group of trucks, before you figure they're not stopping and you're better off moving up through them?

RockRunner
03-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Just like we do, talk to the last person in the group. They may be able to talk to the person infront or close to it. Just apply what we do in trucks to the motorcycle world and you will be fine. But like Bill said keep the RPM's down or off, with the magic button it is easy enough to start the bike up again.

Red_Chili
03-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, you magic button pink panties guys.... :lmao:

J Kimmel
03-01-2012, 06:51 PM
ALWAYS pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and if a horse is involved SHUT DOWN THE MOTOR. Nothing worse than a guy who may pull the bike to the side of the trail, smile, wave, and sits there blipping his throttle...

Oh, and when you pass a vehicle, you would be AMAZED how little throttle it takes to throw rocks into the windshield of the person you are passing. Or... face of the person on that hated ATV. If you can accelerate BEFORE you pass, then just roll past with the clutch held in, all the better.

this :)

and even if you're passing going uphill, most anywhere you pass someone you can easily cruise by without kicking rocks at them. I wait until I am around the corner on my YZ before hitting the gas again :)

farnhamstj
03-04-2012, 07:01 PM
KTM guys do have the reputation of being rich know it all pricks. I expect you to play the part to the best of your ability. Your outfit should say, "I have the best gear money can buy, but the colors don't match" You're facial expression should be "GET THE F out of MY WAY" people can see the look in their rear view mirror through your goggles and face mask, they will move for you.

The hikers are the worst, who hikes on a road anyway? Get out of the way you yoga pant, hydration pack wearing vegetarian. Put your dog on a leash.

5Runner
03-07-2012, 09:02 AM
The hikers are the worst, who hikes on a road anyway? Get out of the way you yoga pant, hydration pack wearing vegetarian. Put your dog on a leash.

I also don't understand why people would want to hike a road.

My dog is always off leash in the mountains, but under voice command. I'd go to a local park if I wanted to leash him.

I have thought about leashing the kids though.

Uncle Ben
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Leashes make great clothes lines for passing KTM's! :D

baja1d
03-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Just don't do what the last guy did that pissed you off when you were hiking, biking, or wheeling. Dust really pisses me off when I'm hiking and I generally have an idea of my dust's hang time and adjust accordingly.

Red_Chili
03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I have had many hikers truly appreciate my courtesy... which means they don't usually get it from others... :(

baja1d
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I have had many hikers truly appreciate my courtesy... which means they don't usually get it from others... :(

Very true!

farnhamstj
03-07-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm actually a very nice person. I too slow to a snails pace or stop for most hikers.

Red_Chili
03-08-2012, 08:38 AM
We knew that.

You granola eating hydration pack wearing Brit hippie...

Beater
03-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Seriously though, I will admit that by and large, the ktm groups are the least friendly when I am in destination areas like moab or the like. Sad but true in my experience. That said, when out on a ride with a couple of duc groups, two have tended to be rather uppity and hence, I don't associate with those groups.

I think there is a correlation between attitude, affluence and arrogance, and the perception there of.

j

subzali
03-08-2012, 09:06 AM
The herd mentality can kick in sometimes as well...

Red_Chili
03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
That said, when out on a ride with a couple of duc groups, two have tended to be rather uppity and hence, I don't associate with those groups.

I think there is a correlation between attitude, affluence and arrogance, and the perception there of.

j
I know when on my Duc I do tend to look down on you. Obviously your theory on affluence doesn't quite hold...

:lmao:

nakman
03-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Do you guys wave to other bikes on the street? I used to, but given the low rate of return wave, what's the point.. :(

subzali
03-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Not very many other motorcycles will wave to a dirtbike on the street, I've found. If they wave first I'll wave back.

Red_Chili
03-08-2012, 04:25 PM
I try to wave. Harleys excepted. They generally won't wave back anyway.

60wag
03-08-2012, 04:51 PM
I find most bikes on Peak to Peak highway wave regardless of brand. I think it has to do with the scenery. Around town, not as much.

Beater
03-08-2012, 09:23 PM
my rule - don't waive first to no gear. being a scooterist as well, i can tell you I have never been refused a waive by a TRUE harley person I waive at while on my vespa..

farnhamstj
03-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Tim, be careful trying to wave, and use the clutch, and make hand signals, while talking on the 2m, and texting, and thinking of cool things you could make out of plastic to put on your new bike.

I use the couple fingers below the bar wave to anyone with a cool bike.

Red_Chili
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
... i can tell you I have never been refused a waive by a TRUE harley person I waive at while on my vespa..
might have to do with the vespa... do you polish it first? It could be, he is trying to deflect sun glare...

Beater
03-09-2012, 06:45 PM
dude... seriously? first you get all elitist on the smart, now vespas? really?

farnhamstj
03-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Bill. That was funny.

Red_Chili
03-12-2012, 12:04 PM
dude... seriously? first you get all elitist on the smart, now vespas? really?
Absotively. Hey, you opened the door... I just walked through it.

You do know that if it has a motor I am likely to find more right with it than wrong... right? :lmao:

rover67
03-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I used to wave all the time when I rode out east... only to non harley riders though. *most* Harley riders never waved back unless I was on a Harley it seemed. Any other kind of riders would wave back and forth in town though. big packs of people on sport bikes would zip by me and every single one of them would wave.. just like you see harley folks do all the time.

lots more riders out here though so it seems like it gets to be a pain and people don't do it as much.

Sometimes I still wave at harley riders nice and big to let them know I matter too :) they still never wave back.

yesterday when I was riding your bike I gave "the nod" twice and one wave. kinda depends on if I am busy or if I have a hand free.

the one to perfect is the wave while Wheelieing. Most riders will wave back no matter what if you do that.
Also, on the interstate I like giving waves mainly because most people wave back no matter what, and you are both heading somewhere farther away.. on a road trip. People are much better about it on the interstate. It seems to mean a lot more there. Almost like you are telling each other to be safe and watch out.

nakman
03-12-2012, 01:55 PM
the one to perfect is the wave while Wheelieing... Almost like you are telling each other to be safe and watch out.

Cool, got it! :thumb: :wav:

Red_Chili
03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
yesterday when I was riding your bike I gave "the nod" twice and one wave. kinda depends on if I am busy or if I have a hand free.

the one to perfect is the wave while Wheelieing. ...
You were riding my bike yesterday? Why you sneaky devil you.... hey, if it was anyone else...

Yeah they all wheelie pretty well, especially the Buell in second with a passenger taking off from a light. Kinda woke my son up one lethargic Sunday morning. :lmao: