PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 heater pipe

Jacket
03-04-2012, 09:27 AM
On my 40 I have a piece of 3/8 heater hose that starts at the T junction on the lower heater hose at the bottom of the radiator, and runs between the battery and the passenger side of the engine block over the fuel pump and distributor all the way to the firewall. In looking at diagrams, I'm pretty sure this isn't stock, and I think there is supposed to be a hard line that runs along the side of the block with shorter rubber hoses at each end.

Does anyone have a picture of this setup in stock form, and shows where the hard line mounts? The diagrams online are hard to read, and they don't show how the system looks in the engine bay. The way my long rubber hose sits now, I'll eventually wear a hole in the hose because it contacts several things along the way from the radiator to the firewall, so at some point I need to make a change.

Anyone know if these parts are still available from Toyota?

Jacket
03-04-2012, 09:55 AM
In this picture it is the pipe with the red arrow pointing to it. Looks like maybe there's a short rubber hose at the firewall, and then the pipe attaches to the block? and then the "triangular" end somehow connects directly to the T junction at the radiator hose?

Edit: Actually, it looks like there is another short rubber hose between the hard pipe and the T junction.

Air Randy
03-05-2012, 05:01 PM
You can probaly get it from Spector Off-Road

rover67
03-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Yo.

I just checked mine.

I have a steel pipe bolted to the distributor side of the block. the front of the steel pipe is connected to the "T" in the lower radiator hose with a short piece of heater hose. The back of it goes to the firewall.

so it goes:

T in lower radiator hose.
short heater hose from T to steel pipe on head.
steel pipe on head.
short heater hose from steel pipe to firewall.

I think you are missing the steel pipe that goes bolted to the Head/Block which is there to prevent exactly what you have going on.

nattybumppo
03-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Matt, I think I have a spare one of these. If you still need it, I'll check my boxes.

Jacket
03-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Sure - that would be great. According to SOR, the same part was used from 1/75 to to 8/80 and looks like the picture I posted earlier in the thread.

nakman
03-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Opportunity for plumbing of hot water heat exchanger? http://cruiseroutfitters.com/helton_specs.html :)

Jacket
03-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Good idea!

nattybumppo
03-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Sure - that would be great. According to SOR, the same part was used from 1/75 to to 8/80 and looks like the picture I posted earlier in the thread.

Found it. From a 75. I'm charging my camera but will post a pic tomorrow to confirm it is what you are looking for. Sash

nattybumppo
03-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Found it. From a 75. I'm charging my camera but will post a pic tomorrow to confirm it is what you are looking for. Sash

Sorry didn't get that pic snapped this morning, but I'll take care of that tomorrow.

nattybumppo
03-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Is this what you need? Free to a good home...or buy me a beer sometime.

subzali
03-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Matt, I got some pictures for you from my '77:

subzali
03-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Some more: notice the bolts in the block (circled) and then I have a shot of the heater valve at the firewall. Though I do have another pair of holes just down and to the left of these, not sure what those are for...

Jacket
03-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks Matt. That helps a lot. Ive got two studs coming out of the side cover so it looks like thats the spot. Odd that it doesn't look much like the pipe in the part diagram.

I'll have to check and see if Toyota still makes the connecting hoses.

Sasha - I appreciate you tracking it down. I'll take it. What kind of beer do you like?

nattybumppo
03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Sam Adams!

Jacket
03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Mmmmmm - Australian for Beer.

Just kidding.

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsC/2760-5456.gif

Rzeppa
03-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Slightly cleaner pictures, from my '76:

http://rzeppa.org/resto/p1401.jpg

http://rzeppa.org/resto/p1405.jpg

HTH!

:cheers:

corsair23
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
That is one puuuuurdy looking engine Jeff :thumb:

bomber22
03-20-2012, 10:25 PM
well if the pics from the 77 and the 76 don't help then here's a pic of a 79 i just got from justin.

Jacket
03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Dang Zepp - that's purty! Is that your current rebuild, or the last one from years ago?

Sasha - I am not going to be in town for the meeting next week, but if you are going and want to pass the baton to a northsider then I could grab it from someone and deliver you some beer in Moab.

Or we can wait - I'm not in a big hurry...

Rzeppa
03-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Dang Zepp - that's purty! Is that your current rebuild, or the last one from years ago?

That's the one I started years ago and can't seem to make the time to finish. The body is almost all the way done, just have two little pieces to weld on, then take it off, flip upside down, work on the underside, then prep for paint.

In the front of the line, project-wise are:

1987 FJ60
(1) Paint
(2) Replace carb
(3) Install sliders
(4) Install Bumper
(5) Install Lock Right

1971 FJ40
(1) Assemble engine (picking block & head up today from the machine shop)
(2) Remove blown engine, install new engine

I hope to have all of the above done before Moab...:eek:

The above list is just cruiser stuff. Lots of honey-dos on the master list too.

:cheers:

nattybumppo
03-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Sasha - I am not going to be in town for the meeting next week, but if you are going and want to pass the baton to a northsider then I could grab it from someone and deliver you some beer in Moab.

Or we can wait - I'm not in a big hurry...

OK. I'll get it to you somehow. I might not be able to make the next meeting, but we'll figure something out. Sash