PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a short term Cruiser owner

60wag
03-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Here is a different take on owning a Cruiser:

A friend of mine has a son who is traveling around Central America. He has been using busses but decided to buy a vehicle for 3 months to gain more mobility. He is currently interested in a '73 Land Cruiser. I guess its an FJ40. He's in Panama. He briefly considered bringing the vehicle back to the US after the trip but has decided against it. He wants to buy it in Panama and sell it there 3 months later.

So, knowing what you do about 40s, what would you inspect for when buying a Cruiser for this purpose? The first thing that came to mind was the brakes. I expect a '73 would have 4 wheel drums and a drive shaft parking brake.

If you didn't care about rust, or front axle service, or most of the things that Cruiser shoppers care about for the long term, what would you look for?

theboomboom
03-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Wiring. Any electrical tape hokey-ness is likely going to be a darn headache, especially if headlights go pop, idle solenoids don't go click, the interior gauge light cuts out, etc.

I'm also aware that buying/selling a vehicle in Central America can be a headache logistics/legality-wise. Presumably he knows what he's getting himself into, correct?

treerootCO
03-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Safety first...brakes, steering, etc.

rover67
03-06-2012, 10:30 AM
I too would focus on brakes and steering. if it starts and runs easily that's good.

seems like all the rest can be made to work. leaky things can be kept topped up.