PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearing? Or something else?

Fishy
03-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I was gonna bring this up tonight, but I'm in the garage right now trying to figure it out. Here's the back story...

Had my tires rotated a few days ago. Since then, I feel like something is loose on my left front wheel. I checked lugs, pulled the wheel, pulled the front shock and inspected, checked everything for play, reinstalled the wheel and I can feel just a little play while holding the wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions. Thinking a wheel bearing?

But, I've got no noise, no hum at any speed, figure 8's in both directions with no trouble. I can feel the slight vibration over small bumps, right below my feet. I feel nothing when driving through the dip from my driveway to the street. Only small bumps that cause vibration. It feels like loose lugs. Body mounts are tight on that side as well. Tires don't even have 5k on them.

I'm just about to pull the PS wheel and check that shock and all bushings. There is no 12-6 oclock play on that side, just DS.

Could that tiny amount of play from my DS wheel translate to the floorboard and front end and make everything feel so loose? I'm working on limited mechanical knowledge, so any ideas would help. I'll be at the meeting tonight, so I'll bring this up again, feel free to drive my truck down the road and help me diagnose.

Thanks!

Red_Chili
03-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Fix what you know to be wrong, then see what it does. Play in the wheel is not good. Wheel bearing, ball joints/kingpin/whatever you have there...

Fishy
03-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Problem solved....
When I had the tires rotated, they lifted my truck on the lift and it moved my DS slider just a hair. Enough so that the forward most bracket (right under my foot) was just barely making contact with the body. Small bumps made the slider vibrate on the body and it felt like something was loose up front. Removed and replaced slider, no loose feeling.

The bonus is I inspected everything up front and found some very slight play that leads me to believe wheel bearings are needed. Guess I should have looked simple first.

corsair23
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Interesting and good detective work...

A lot of 80 owners suffer from the "clunk" during the winter when ice builds up between the sliders and the pinch weld/body. You'd swear your suspension is about to fall apart when it happens :eek:

Red_Chili
03-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Problem solved....
When I had the tires rotated, they lifted my truck on the lift and it moved my DS slider just a hair. Enough so that the forward most bracket (right under my foot) was just barely making contact with the body. Small bumps made the slider vibrate on the body and it felt like something was loose up front. Removed and replaced slider, no loose feeling.

The bonus is I inspected everything up front and found some very slight play that leads me to believe wheel bearings are needed. Guess I should have looked simple first.
Good fortune!

Does sound like you need to beef up the slider a bit though.

Fishy
03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Good fortune!

Does sound like you need to beef up the slider a bit though.

Yeah, I thought I had them placed right and plenty tight, but if they moved slightly under the weight of my truck what's the point. I removed and reinstalled both sides yesterday, cranked em tight and I'll give them a field trial next week.

subzali
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
FYI, I don't know if 100 series front bearings are the same as 1st gen Tundra front bearings, but if they are I don't think they are serviceable and I don't think there is any preload that can be adjusted. They just have to be replaced if they're loose.

DaveInDenver
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
FYI, I don't know if 100 series front bearings are the same as 1st gen Tundra front bearings, but if they are I don't think they are serviceable and I don't think there is any preload that can be adjusted. They just have to be replaced if they're loose.
I believe that's true, the Tacoma, last couple of generation of 4Runner, Tundra, etc. (and I assume then 100 and 200 series) use sealed cartridge bearings and so the whole hub is R&R.