PDA

View Full Version : Live from the CM12 pre run

Corbet
03-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Just pulled into Area BFE. My phone does not have enough signal for a picture upload:rant:

nakman
03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Sweet, have fun guys! :bowdown:

leiniesred
03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
I'll be there tomorrow afternoon

Inukshuk
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
How is it?

Leaving Denver now. monitoring 146.460. the connection and for laughs, CB4

Will shout out to BFE from 191.

Red_Chili
03-15-2012, 07:21 PM
You know what they say... no pics, didn't happen. I think these guys are sitting in that Twin Peaks place leading us on. All a big conspiracy. You heard it here first.

gahi
03-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Ran Kane Creek today with the crew. Thanks for letting me tag along!

I'm horrible about taking pics, so....

Beginning

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq360/moabbuzz/IMG_20120317_102720.jpg

End

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq360/moabbuzz/IMG_20120317_142438.jpg

Did this somewhere along the way:D

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq360/moabbuzz/IMG_20120317_142453.jpg

caught the drivers side one too, just not as bad.

Corbet
03-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Here we go. Area BFE Thursday afternoon.

Corbet
03-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Copper Ridge dinosaur track site. There are a few places to see tracks in and around Moab. Might be a good addition to a family type run in the future. Bridger sure thought they were cool. This site is 23 miles NW of town just off HWY 191. You can get to the trail head with any car. The walk is about 500 yards.

Corbet
03-18-2012, 10:00 AM
We ran Hell's Revenge as a group on Friday to start things off. No drama on the trail. We run all the optional obstacles of course.

Corbet
03-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Thursday afternoon Myself, Daniel and Steve Powers headed out to explore the beginning of Porcupine Rim the branches off of Fins and joins the Porcupine Rim route we traditionally run. I've been wanting to add this section to my Friday run.

Route finding is a little confusing after you leave Fins. There are a few spurs and we made a circle once only to retrace our steps. (Daniel decided to head back to town after getting lost) I really like the extra section. There are a few ledges to climb much like the rest of Porcupine and some deep sand to drive. Almost dune like. Some cool views to match.

However the intersection where you regain the main trail is the same off camber spot at the beginning of the standard run. Its a pretty challenging spot that has a definite chance of a roll to get back up on the main trail. Both myself and Steve had to lock both axles get through after a healthy attempt of stacking rocks open.

It was our opinion that unless we changed the vehicle requirements for Porcupine it would not be possible to add this section at CM12. I can't see an open vehicle making it let alone a group of them. Sorry I forgot to take any pictures:doh:

Corbet
03-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Saturday Daniel lead Stephen Rudy, Steve Powers and myself out to Wipe Out Hill. I had not been out there since my first CM. It was a great day despite the wind and weather beginning to turn for the worse.

We stopped at the Overlook and Tusher Tunnel before heading out towards Wipe Out Hill.

Corbet
03-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Wipe Out Hill.

Corbet
03-18-2012, 10:48 AM
Daniel took us out to a small slot canyon near the end of the run. Kids had a great time with that.

Corbet
03-18-2012, 10:58 AM
The Durango folks bugged out last night as the weather was certain to get worse before morning. A dry tent is much nicer to pack than a wet one in the morning.

Thanks for everyone who organized and attended, I had a great weekend. It was great to meet some new faces from the Book Cliffs club and I learned some spotting techniques for varies obstacles.

Air Randy
03-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Corbet, I assume you found your tube doors OK?

I noticed that the only pictures of Meanie you posted are the ones where you were driving it :D.

Meanie is turning out to be like an amusement park ride, everyone takes turns in it to do Hell's Gate. It does make it pretty easy :thumb:

Meanie managed to make it up the Escalator too with nothing but rookie spotters. Had 1 minor wheel stand on the last wall, backed down a few feet, re-adjusted and walked the rest of the way up. Jade Runner made it up too albeit with a little more excitement and (wait for it) a manual strap for safety. But, he made it without a scratch and lots of vehicles never make that obstacle.

JonHaris took some amazing photos and videos on both Hells Gate and Escalator. Can't wait for him to post those up.

The mighty meanie had it's first trail breakdown later in the day about 2 miles in to Metal Masher. The steering felt funky so I stopped and checked it, 3 of the 4 high steer knuckle bolts on the drivers side were sheared off and missing.

We jacked the rig up, pulled the wheel, used Steve Brady's drill to drill a hole in to each stub, hammered the tapered end of a large file in to each hole and unscrewed the broken pieces. Fortunately I had some 1/2-20 bolts that would thread into the knuckle though they were 2"-3" too long. So we stacked nuts and washers on them to make up for the slack. Looked like hell but worked just fine. I have 2 sets of ARP chrome moly knuckles studs ordered and on the way, that should minimize breakage in the future.

I suspect the knuckle studs may have loosened up on that side. I was too busy doing wrenching sessions to check them :o my bad.

Then, driving back to camp going up the long grade on 191 to BFE, the tranny started to slip a little in 3rd gear. :eek::mad::rant: So, now I need to drop the tranny/tcase before CM. The TH400 has a direct drive clutch pack that is the most likely villain, probably just a seal going bad thats letting the line pressure to that clutch pack drop.

Oh, I noticed one of the Fox air shocks in the rear is leaking oil so I guess I'm going to have to re-build that too. Oh well, if you play you have to pay :thumb:

Corbet
03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Randy look close at the first picture of Meanie. Your driving, you can see Buddy in your lap. But I'll post some more for you.:D And thanks again for the transport of the tube doors. Got them just fine.

Trapper50cal
03-18-2012, 06:12 PM
That Porter solo shot with the rock walls is an amazing shot...:thumb:

Air Randy
03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Randy look close at the first picture of Meanie. Your driving, you can see Buddy in your lap.

Whew, I thought for a minute there you were borrowing my dog too :D. Just yankin' your chain, I think we need to build you a Meanie like rig too. You seem to enjoy it it quite a bit.

Old40Dog
03-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks to everyone who attended and we had a great time!

Zach & I are sitting in the Grand Junction Walmart parking lot as the left front wheel bearing on the 80 is toast. Going to call Hugh at Safari in the AM to get the necessary parts to get'er repaired and home.

Inukshuk
03-19-2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks to everyone who attended and we had a great time!

Zach & I are sitting in the Grand Junction Walmart parking lot as the left front wheel bearing on the 80 is toast. Going to call Hugh at Safari in the AM to get the necessary parts to get'er repaired and home.

Aw crap. And I had some in my parts box.

Did you find the propane bottle?

You would have not wanted to tow the trailer tonight anyway. Snow was bad, chains required on Vail (with a bad jacknifed rig Westbound) and Eisenhower and Eisenhower was closed anyway due to a wreck in the tunnel so we took Loveland Pass.

Inukshuk
03-19-2012, 02:33 AM
A good time

JadeRunner
03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Too bad about the breakdown Dave. Hope you make it back OK.

Sorry to hear you guys hit snow on the way back after you're Dome run. I know running Dome will enhance future runs up there for others so good job for squeezing that run in on the last day.

My run home from Dewey Bridge, across the the Deloris river, into Junction and home with jonharis and mtnflyguy was nice and uneventful. No snow, mud or traffic. Home at 4:15.

JadeRunner
03-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Another successful trip. Thanks Steve Rudy for putting this together and being trail boss again this year. I think we identified a few new quality trail leaders. I.e. our new member Steven RidinDurty in his FJC, Steve (and Sara)from Durango spcruiser and Matt from Carbondale- Hicntyflyguy in his 3rd gen Runner. I got to wheel for the first time with Sasha, he will be stepping up to lead. Finally met Jon Harris, VP of Book Cliff in Junction. Hes quite an asset to have around. He really wants to be a member of RS and leverage things we do into his small chapter. I think we need to have a quick Club meeting at CM and vote him in since he cant attend one of our meetings.

Sorry you couldn't make it Cheeseman. Steve Crase made a surprise appearance which was cool. After Kane Ck. I took Steve and some others to Flat Iron Mesa trail. That was really cool. Route finding was a little tricky even after I just ran it last year. We need to run it a few more times to get it down. Then I think we need to add it to future events.

We also discussed trails, shared experiences and tips around the fire and tried to plant the seed in peoples heads regarding needing a new trail boss in 2013. Good times.

JadeRunner
03-19-2012, 10:16 AM
That the "JadeRunner" all one word for you Mr. Rosetta.:)

Thanks for helping me randy and all on the Escalator. Sitting in that near vertical hot tub is very un-nerving. Especially just after watching Randy slip his rear wheel into the bottom and putt his cage into the wall.

I was so focused on taking the right line and not falling into that hole that I didn't pay attention to which line to take above it. I made it through the tough hole but by then I was out of my "comfort zone" and I lost my cool.

I then made all the junior mistakes. Gassed it, didn't really know what line to take, fell into a crack and proceeded to stick my arm out the window to catch myself. Right in front or Randy, Brady and Corbet no less.

Fortunately I stopped at that point. Eyes wide open. Randy talking calmly to me. I asked for a strap to my front end. The guys pulled my front down and I drove out. Whew. Glad that's behind me.

I'm pretty sure I could clean it now with that experience in the bank. But, it's clearly a high risk maneuver for a guy without a cage so I will have to re-think a second attempt.

I have video of it all thanks to Corbet so more to come. Just had to get the story straight.

Jade Runner made it up too albeit with a little more excitement and (wait for it) a manual strap for safety. But, he made it without a scratch and lots of vehicles never make that obstacle.

jonharis
03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Well, I'm back in comfort of my office after a wonderful weekend. I believe we met some new lifelong friends. Ashlynn, McKenna, Tiffany, Kes and I thank you all for your hospitality and encouragement. I have a couple of thousand pics I'll be sorting through as time permits, I'll try to get some going today. Corbet, that little camera combined with your eye take some incredible photos. Its been a pleasure looking through what I've seen so far. Thank you guys, cant wait for CM!

A few quick shots.

Preparing a tasty hot dinner under the stars.

JadeRunner getting excited on the Escalator

AirRandy finishing an ingenious trail repair on Metal Masher

Tiffany took the wheel for a few obstacles on Flat Iron Mesa.

Taking the long way home, we traversed the Dolores River, granite creek and Ryan park. The weather made the views that much better.

Teaser Video. I'm looking forward to showing you the complete trip video.
ebU94gL-hk0

:cheers:

Woodsman
03-19-2012, 11:50 AM
AirRandy finishing an ingenious trail repair on Metal Masher

That's one of the greatest trail repair pics I've ever seen. :bowdown:

bh4rnnr
03-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Looks like a fun time and good weather:cool:.

:beer::beer:

Caribou Sandstorm
03-19-2012, 04:21 PM
More pics??!!

John, nice evening shot, guessing BFE? Time sequence shot?

Nice work on the Escalator feature, that is a tricky one! No I have not done it but would have loved to see you guys in action, that feature is intimidating..

wesintl
03-19-2012, 04:28 PM

Did you get goin again Dave?

jonharis
03-19-2012, 04:53 PM
More pics??!!

John, nice evening shot, guessing BFE? Time sequence shot?

Nice work on the Escalator feature, that is a tricky one! No I have not done it but would have loved to see you guys in action, that feature is intimidating..

30 second exposure f/5.6 ISO-640 @ 10mm

Working on more pics, they will trickle in over the coming days. I'm putting a priority on the video.

Corbet
03-19-2012, 06:54 PM
OK, here are a few more Chris. The first is dinosaur tracks in the slickrock. The rest are pretty self explanatory.

Hicntryflyguy
03-19-2012, 07:23 PM
More Pics

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/028.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/024.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/025.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/019.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/023.jpg

Hicntryflyguy
03-19-2012, 07:25 PM
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/030.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/031.jpg

jonharis
03-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Great Pics! Keep em comming! The zoom on Corbet's camera is epic! Love that pic of Tiff! I am finalizing the video. What was the name of the Hottub/Bathtub we went through???? I don't want to get it wrong for the YouTubers!

JadeRunner
03-19-2012, 08:57 PM
The one on Hells was the car wash. The one Zach drove through.

spcruiser
03-20-2012, 12:42 AM
Want to say thanks to all who put together and attended the prerun. It was great to see those who we have run with before and really enjoyed meeting those we meet for the first time. As always you all make Sara the girls and myself feel welcome when ever we show up.
Ran some great trails and learned a lot each day. Hell's was great on friday got a great reminder on the gate to not over drive your spotter, if you loose site of them you probaby made a mistake, at least I was in the long truck and the front came back down without insident. Finished the day with a piece of Porcupine Rim, fun day in Sand Flats.
Saturday ran Wipe Out Hill with Daniel, Stephen and Corbet. Daniel led the the trip and showed us all the treats along the way it really gave the trail a little bit of everything.
Anyone we missed on departure saturday, thank you for the memorable weekend.

Old40Dog
03-20-2012, 01:27 AM
Aw crap. And I had some in my parts box.

Did you find the propane bottle?

You would have not wanted to tow the trailer tonight anyway. Snow was bad, chains required on Vail (with a bad jacknifed rig Westbound) and Eisenhower and Eisenhower was closed anyway due to a wreck in the tunnel so we took Loveland Pass.

Well, ending up being more than the bearings, needed a spindle too...along with all of the other outer parts. But we got it repaired and got 'er home tonight. Thanks to Kelly & Hugh at Safari! WOW!!!Kelly has a night Diesel 78 Series LC!

Did not find the propane bottle...$$$

The snow doesn't usually bother me...at least when the rig is working right...$%&(^)*(?

Corbet
03-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Happy to hear your back safe Dave. And as always Hugh/Kelly at Safari are top notch.:thumb:

leiniesred
03-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Glad you made it home, Dave.

We'll have to remind the dome plateau folks to keep an eye out in the ravines for the propane tank.

Melted the bearing to the spindle or galled it all up when the bearing froze, eh?

wesintl
03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Who's got the shorthair? more pics of the doggie please :D

jonharis
03-20-2012, 12:50 PM
I got some great ones of the K9s. I'll be sure to include them.

In the meantime, grab a beer, buffer in HD and turn up the speakers. Enjoy.

TbAy_Sbl12I

Hicntryflyguy
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
I do!! Her name is Montana or Monty

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/montanablind.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/montanabw.jpg

Trapper50cal
03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
GReat vid, Jon.

Caught all the shenanigans on Escalator.....:D

Corbet
03-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the video John that was great.

JadeRunner
03-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Nice job Jon! That video pretty much sums it up.

Red_Chili
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Great video. Can almost spot the keys going into the fire at the end.

wesintl
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I do!! Her name is Montana or Monty

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/montanablind.jpg

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx165/hicntryflyguy/montanabw.jpg

Beautiful, I got me two sugarhead girls.:thumb:
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/430444_10150747734912518_589697517_11405989_2070618104_n.jpg

RidinDurty
03-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Here are photos as promised!

Thanks everyone for welcoming Brittany and myself into such an awesome group! Looking forward to the next meeting.

-Steven Kent

http://gallery.me.com/berney2000#100030

Hicntryflyguy
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Awesome pics!! RidinDurty :thumb:

BigDouggieDoug
03-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Awesome pics and video!!!

I'm getting a lil bit too excited for CM12 ..... :puppykisses:

RockRunner
03-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Great video. Can almost spot the keys going into the fire at the end.

HEY, I resemble that remark. Nice pics and video, wish I could have made it.

Inukshuk
03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
On one Dome Plateau sidetrip to see an arch, Doug and I found that it had collapsed. the collapse looked very recent. Turns out it was Arrowhead Arch and it collapsed some time in 2010 - very recent by geological standards but we were not the first to see it. http://www.myxj.net/g2/d/171036-2/IMG_5680.jpg

The turnaround spot is very small, maybe only room for 4-5 rigs parked carefully. However, the main road is a 5 minute walk away so it would be possible to park there and walk in.

Inukshuk
03-28-2012, 11:45 PM
The Dome Plateau Overlook is 1,700' above the River. :eek:

xodeuce
03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Saturday Daniel lead Stephen Rudy, Steve Powers and myself out to Wipe Out Hill. I had not been out there since my first CM. It was a great day despite the wind and weather beginning to turn for the worse.

We stopped at the Overlook and Tusher Tunnel before heading out towards Wipe Out Hill.

Awesome pictures. I really like the one of the dog framed by the rock walls with the sky background.