PDA

View Full Version : UTAH: Beef Basin Rd into Needles District

cbmontgo
03-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I have been about 5 miles down Beef Basin Rd, but never all the way to Canyonlands. How is the scenery back there as compared to Lockhart Basin Rd (one of my favorites)? Can a stock rig make it all the way to Devil's Kitchen?

nakman
03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
It's beautiful!!! pictures of that area start on about post 60 of this thread http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16808&page=3

Yes a stock truck can do it, there are a few little things down towards Devil's Kitchen but if you've run E-Hill before then you've seen the worst of it. Might want sliders if you take the 100.. but you probably wouldn't need them, depends on how slow & careful you want to be.

Jacket
03-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Agreed. Stock truck should be fine.

The scenery is different at every turn, and varies from red desert bluffs (like Lockhart), to brown (beefy) basins, to high country pine forest, to beautiful sandstone canyons and rock formations. I think part of the appeal to heading back into Beef Basin or Devil's Kitchen is the feeling that you are really going deep into the bush. You don't really see anyone for miles and miles and miles. Devil's Kitchen is extra special, but it's all worth the trip and the miles you cover to get into places that very few people go.

cbmontgo
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Awesome. We are going to be in a rental Suburban, so I don't want to beat the truck up too bad. I would really like to make it to Devil's Kitchen...I assume that the only way to get there is from the south (Beef Basin)?

Plenty of camping back in there?

As always, thanks guys.

wesintl
03-16-2012, 11:25 AM
:eek: Rental suburban? lol.. It'll be a tight fit through SOB hill and hopefully it's not dug out complicating no clearance and super long WB. You need a permit from Canyonlands to camp at DK and there are 4-5 spaces iirc.

I dunno if i'd take a rental suburban. I think most of us were thinking a stock cruiser. I've run my stock 80 back there being careful and just scraping up the stock running boards. I had slightly better than street tires with nitto AT's. I'd be worried about flimsy street tires.

nakman
03-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Agreed- I was thinking stock cruiser, not a rental Suburban. I bet you would wiggle up SOB hill but it would be a chore, many shifts to reverse to 1 to reverse to 1 to reverse to 1... but then after the high speed meadow there are quite a few little tricky spots on the way to Devil's Kitchen.. a couple more tight corners too. May be tough with the super LWB and low clearance.

rover67
03-16-2012, 12:38 PM
I'd try it in a rental suburban :D

but seriously...

I think if you went into devil's kitchen in the suburban from the south entrance, you'd be able to fall down SOB hill. getting back up would have me worried.. especially if you are by yourself. Getting out the normal way would also have me worried.

Now heading into beef basin you'll be good I think.

pmccumber
03-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I'd try it in a rental suburban :D

but seriously...

I think if you went into devil's kitchen in the suburban from the south entrance, you'd be able to fall down SOB hill. getting back up would have me worried.. especially if you are by yourself. Getting out the normal way would also have me worried.

Now heading into beef basin you'll be good I think.

Actually, I think he'd be able to fall down Bobby's Hole. Getting up and out of SOB might be an SOB. He'd do some serious dragging around the Silver Stairs and that section after it too, not to mention that last big hill to climb out. Wouldn't take a stock Burb.

rover67
03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Actually, I think he'd be able to fall down Bobby's Hole. Getting up and out of SOB might be an SOB. He'd do some serious dragging around the Silver Stairs and that section after it too, not to mention that last big hill to climb out. Wouldn't take a stock Burb.

Yes, Bobbys hole, not SOB. I STILL MESS THAT UP!!!!!

I agree, no stock burb back there.

and I was kidding on me taking the rental suburban. It'd be another good way to understand the finer print in the rental policy that you never want to know about

Jacket
03-16-2012, 03:27 PM
What about a Jeep Compass? ;)

rover67
03-16-2012, 04:46 PM
What about a Jeep Compass? ;)

could probably get it going fast enough to fling it over or up anything.

might not be driveable afterwards though :D

wesintl
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
This is the area I want to explore in Red.

In blue is the traditional beef basin routes.

This thread has the best info yet.
http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666

Woodsman
03-16-2012, 05:01 PM
All this talk is just making me hanker for another trip back there.

May have to sneak down there during CM2012 week.

rover67
03-16-2012, 05:04 PM
bobby hole, SOB Hill or impossible hill:confused:

I have seen burbans back there but not stock rental ones.:beer:

Bobby's Hole :D

and you're right, normally i mix it up with impossible hill :) not SOB hill.

dang. I'm all over the place. I need to get out to the desert to clear my head!

cbmontgo
03-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Can the stocker Suburban at least make it TO Bobby's Hole?

wesintl
03-17-2012, 10:35 AM
that shouldn't be a problem. The nicest things to check out are the bb basin loop and the farm house and tower ruin.

cbmontgo
03-18-2012, 07:47 AM
that shouldn't be a problem. The nicest things to check out are the bb basin loop and the farm house and tower ruin.

Thanks, Wes. Are the views as spectacular as Lockhart Basin?

wesintl
03-18-2012, 11:11 AM
It's different but just as beautiful imho. It's not the expanse of deep red rock. It more juniper and scrub. Really I think the appeal to beef basin is that you feel like you're really out there on expedition. There are lots of hidden ruins.. do some research.

cbmontgo
03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
What if we came in through the Needles from the north? Can a stocker do Elephant Hill Road and Devil's Lane down towards Bobby Jo and the Horsehoof Campground? I talked to the park service today and can still get a backcountry permit for Horsehoof...

Jacket
03-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Are we still talking Suburban? Ehill could be tough on that long wheelbase - you will probably bang up the running boards and maybe scrape the rear bumper. SOB hill is a tight squeeze with a drop off and a hard left turn all rolled into one. Going down it might be easier (heading in from Needles) if you can make a bunch of turning adjustments, but I'd be very nervous trying to squeeze a stock Suburban through there.

cbmontgo
03-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Are we still talking Suburban? Ehill could be tough on that long wheelbase - you will probably bang up the running boards and maybe scrape the rear bumper. SOB hill is a tight squeeze with a drop off and a hard left turn all rolled into one. Going down it might be easier (heading in from Needles) if you can make a bunch of turning adjustments, but I'd be very nervous trying to squeeze a stock Suburban through there.

Yeah, still with the stock Suburban. I might need to think about plan b as far as camp sites go...