PDA

View Full Version : LED LCD TV, need advice

Corbet
03-18-2012, 08:55 PM
We need to purchase a new TV. Currently we have a 40 LCD Sony Bravia that has been just fine. I have not messed with any setting since taking it out of the box. I'm going to move that to the bedroom to replace an old TV that is dying.

Anyway I'm looking at a new Sony KDL-60NX720 for the family room. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15860NX720/Sony-KDL-60NX720.html I'm not a Sony loyalist, just have no complaints with my current TV. This stuff changes so fast and just does not interest me like say a RTT. The only thing that jumped out at me was the Gorilla Glass feature. With Bridger a more durable and easy to clean screen sounds good.

Anyway we want a 60" or greater
WiFi
120 HZ min

Let me know if there is anything wrong with the Sony or if someone else has something worth buying instead. The way I see it its going to be outdated in 6 months anyway.

treerootCO
03-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I was waiting for the Samsung ES8000. It has a modular deal that might help keep the technology alive a few years more.

pmccumber
03-18-2012, 09:32 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20127851-17/sony-splits-tv-business-in-three-as-trouble-persists/

I think in my lifetime Sony has been the standard bearer. But the Koreans, especially Samsung in LED, have just been outspending everyone so drastically that I'd probably look at them first. Gorilla glass is awesome.

TIMZTOY
03-18-2012, 10:16 PM
i sugust just getting which ever one you like.
i always liked the led tv's but hell you'll be happy whith what ever you get. i also sugust getting one a bit larger than your planing for. so you dont regret it when you get home

Jenny Cruiser
03-18-2012, 10:34 PM
I was looking at a Samsung @ Best Buy the other day that had the best picture of all on the wall. Can't recall the model, but it was 240 Hz and was a 1K off on sale.

60wag
03-19-2012, 05:54 AM
I'm amazed at the number of TVs (and computers) that have a high gloss finish on the glass display surface. If you sit in a dark room all time, I guess it can work. One of the rec's I had when shoping for a TV was a non glare matte finish that would look good even when there was light or even an open window in the room. I have an LG that I like. My HP laptop with the shiny finish sucks.

DaveInDenver
03-19-2012, 07:30 AM
One of the rec's I had when shoping for a TV was a non glare matte finish that would look good even when there was light or even an open window in the room. I have an LG that I like.
We bought an LG TV and had the same requirements, a matte surface since it faces a window. We don't have the space for a monster TV so we ended up with a 37" one. Anyway, it looks nice, we're happy with it. It replaced a 15 year old Magnavox 25" tube TV, so might take that assessment with a grain of salt...

One thing I also liked was the off-the-air receiver they built into it wasn't complete junk, it works fine with a set of rabbit ears just sitting on top. This was something I noticed was not universally the case, some TVs have receivers that are worthless. If it's hooked to cable or DBS TV this would not be nearly as important.

BTW, our LG was made in Mexico.

rover67
03-19-2012, 08:14 AM
Our experience was similar to Dave's and Bruce's. Ours is a 37" vizio from costco i got like 6 years ago at least.

FJBRADY
03-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I am in the AV business.

I recommend Samsung and Sharp products all the time. LG is pretty good as well. I have two Visio LCD's I bought 3 years ago because of price....next ones will be Samsung.

You can get great deals on LCD's these days but product is becoming scarce since all the manufactures are focusing on LED. LED is simply a back lit LCD monitor. LED's are super light and it is what I recommend to clients.

Monitors change all the time so do you research, look at all of them and go with price/quality. In 6 months something better will come out.

wesintl
03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
LED's are super light

yer a genius ;) :lmao:

jonharis
03-19-2012, 11:46 AM
I know the title of your thread omits plasma, but they are really holding their own. Personally I think Plasma looks more natural than LED/LCD. I feel this is the best 65" TV you can buy right now for the money. Look at the various reviews and what people in AV forums are saying about it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2795-6482_7-688.html?tag=featuredStory

http://robbreport.com/Best-of-the-Best-2011-Video-Panasonic-Viera-VT-Series

And what the others said, sit in front of as many as you can. GLWP

DaveInDenver
03-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Be sure to check the specs on any plasma TV you are considering. A few years ago they were not happy here but the low atmospheric pressure issue has been resolved as time goes on. Just take a look before plunking down the cash to make sure for your elevation.

Red_Chili
03-19-2012, 12:27 PM
I dunno, just don't have the cash (nor do I value TV that much to spend that much) so I picked up a refurb plasma at Sears Outlet for cheeeeep. That's an option that worked for me.

Corbet
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Plasma TV + 8000' at the house = a lot of noise and short lifespan.

pmccumber
03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Plasma TVs have a half-life of like 16 years. Or a quarter-life of 8 years. Now that is different than bulb-lifes as the plasma TVs diminish as time goes on. A backlight is as good, or pretty close, as long as it works at all.

Personally, I wouldn't like that my TV after 6 years has lost 20% of its picture quality.

As far as picture quality, plasmas are the top of the heap. I like the LED stuff cuz it is extremely light. I just got a 24" LED monitor and it is less than 1/2 the weight of another 22" I have.

DaveInDenver
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Half lives of plasma have been going up considerably recently. I noticed that Panasonic lists 100,000 hours for their TVs regardless LCD or plasma. But like you mention Paul, when an LCD backlight gets dim you just replace it and you're good to go. Which is something that I also considered with the LG, since it has a CCFL that is technically replaceable. Of course LED LCD backlights should last much longer, so the practical life is really sort of apples-to-oranges.

Cheeseman
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
If your sticking with a Sony, the XBR notation was there top of the line when we bought ours. Big difference from the KDL level of monitors. After that the best one you like is the one sitting in your living room. Then there is nothing else to compare it to. And oh yah, checkbook solves lots of problems.

wesintl
03-19-2012, 03:47 PM
I thought those issues were the plasma's of 5 years ago.. I thought i've read they fixed most of those issues?

Corbet
03-19-2012, 05:27 PM
I thought those issues were the plasma's of 5 years ago.. I thought i've read they fixed most of those issues?

Not according to my local AV store. They said it would work but make a lot of buzzing noise at my altitude. I rather buy a plasma as they are generally cheaper and have a nicer picture to my eyes anyway. The other store said some brands are better than others at altitude.

RockRunner
03-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Vizio or Samsung.

Looked last year and got the Vizio 55" LED 240 hz with 3D and Wifi, love it and is still hard to beat today. Samsung has some real nice stuff out but without a price point it is hard to say what to buy.