PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 4 speed drum brake

bigcity25
03-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Looking for a 4 speed drum brake cover to mate up to my drive shafts. Switching over to a 4 speed from a 3 speed this spring and this is apparently the easiest way to go. BTW for a 7/70 fj40 not that really matters. Also looking for a fuel neck so I can add a locking gas cap to my rig. Something "newer" than 1970.

baja1d
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Hey Jeff-

You'll use your same brake drum cover (if you're using your 3-speed T/C), however, you'll most-likely need drive shafts from a rig that originally had a 4-speed. The 4-speed is a little longer than the 3-speed which pushes your T/C back. Therefore, you'll need a shorter rear shaft and a longer front. I ran into this problem when I bought that 4-speed that you now have. I'd get ahold of Kurt here at Cruiser Outfitters and explain your set up. http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/index.html. I'm currently running into this problem with the 5-speed/split case I'm swapping in. I used these guys a few years ago and they did good work: Front Range Driveline Inc (303) 783-9954.

Others have used these guys:
Englewood Driveshaft
3364 1/2 South Broadway (alley entrance)
Englewood, CO 80113
303-781-0554

Before you have custom drive shafts made, you may want to consider upgrading those axles to a fine spline 1976+. You'll not only get stronger axles but disc brakes as well. Recently I've come across some good deals on 76+ axles through out the Denver area and on IH8Mud. Then have your shafts made. My .02, don't spend good money after bad. Then again, it's taken me 3 years to collect parts and finally but this 40 together. BTW, I'm doing the engine & tranny swap 4/8-15 if you want to stop by and learn what you're up against. Wife and kids are out of town so I could use a hand getting the motor in.

MDH33
03-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Yeah, not sure how a different parking brake cover is going to help here. The 4 speed shafts are different length and different bolt pattern than the 3 speed shafts. The diff patterns are different than the 4 speed shafts too. :confused:

Will be watching this thread. I have everything needed for a 4 speed swap for my 40 aside from proper driveshafts.

bigcity25
03-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Well I bought 4 speed drive shafts and sent an email to Kurt. He said I can buy pinion flanges for the front/rear diffs. And then one for the front output shaft on the tcase. He told me I can use my parking brake by redrilling the current drum. Or find one off of a 4 speed cruiser. So knowing my abilities redrilling is out of the question. I figure this will be the easier route. And btw Travis, 4/8-15 is that April 8-15th?

MDH33
03-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Well I bought 4 speed drive shafts and sent an email to Kurt. He said I can buy pinion flanges for the front/rear diffs. And then one for the front output shaft on the tcase. He told me I can use my parking brake by redrilling the current drum. Or find one off of a 4 speed cruiser. So knowing my abilities redrilling is out of the question. I figure this will be the easier route.

Aha, makes sense now. :thumb:

baja1d
03-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Yes on April 8-15. I've also got a company in Denver that does tapping and most likely percision drilling. In fact they re-tapped the output shaft on that tranny for $20. I can't find their number right now but if you call AAA Metric Supply they'll have their number. BTW, if you ever need any metric nuts and bolts they're the company to use and they have everything!