PDA

View Full Version : Will these tires be good for towing a small boat?

Overlander
03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm looking to buy a small fishing boat (16') and thinking about buying an extra set of wheels for running around town and on the highway so I don't burn off the expensive DuraTracks too quickly.

Found this locally on CL and seems like a pretty good set with rims:http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/2902594148.html

Will the 265x70x16 be a good fit for my '95 FZJ80? I suppose the side wall will be smaller - will I notice much difference in driving? Speedo?

Thx,
James

nakman
03-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Those are Tacoma rims. They will bolt up, but will look funny as the backspacing is different, which puts your stance pretty skinny. also the center caps won't pop in over your hubs. I have a picture of it somewhere with 255 85's, made my 80 look like a rail road truck, will look for it.. Also I suspect those tires could be the originals, which means they could have a 2001 born-on date, so you want to check that for sure. IMO, get another set of 80 rims with the same style lugs you already have.

Now those tires will be fine, and with stock gearing your 80 will actually be a little snappier with those compared to your 285 DTs.

Overlander
03-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Would be open to another set of rims from an '08 - even steel rims would work fine. Let me know if anyone has a lead on a set.

thx -