PDA

View Full Version : headlamp bulb issue

dr350jja
03-20-2012, 10:20 PM
Looking for some info regarding a quirky occurrence!

My son-in-law has a 2006 Tacoma and seems to be replacing headlamp bulbs regularly every 6 months of so. He is using the Sylvania Silver Star bulbs. Sometimes itís the left side, sometimes the right side bulb. This seems odd to me; as I have the same truck and have yet to replace a light bulb on it!! Has anyone run into something like this before? I told him to check the voltage at the battery, while the engine is running, to see if it looks like it may be over-charging.

Thanks,
Jim

Red_Chili
03-21-2012, 07:29 AM
That would be the first thing to check. You might have an ohmic ground at the battery or motor ground too, allowing the voltage from the charging system to float a bit. Check at the battery, at the headlights, maybe a couple of places to see if you get any variance to speak of.

bgoodheart
03-21-2012, 07:34 AM
I've had the same issue with SilverStar bulbs and daytime running lights. The folks at Sylvania responded to an email I sent a few years ago and said that shorter life is expected with DRLs. My 04 Taco has DRLs, so maybe that's contributing to the frequent replacement?

Jacket
03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Agreed - Silverstars have a shorter life. It's probably a way Sylvania guarantees to sell more bulbs. :rolleyes:

I'd also check and make sure he's wearing gloves when he does the bulb changes. Any oils or other contact dirt/grease on the glass can reduce the life of the bulb

Inukshuk
03-21-2012, 09:18 AM
My Silver Stars don't last so long but I have never checked dates. I use them less often now during the day because of that but I love them at night.

Red_Chili
03-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Hmmm, I use Silverstar H4 bulbs and have no issues. I also use an aftermarket headlight harness but if anything that delivers more current/higher voltage. :dunno:

dr350jja
03-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Agreed
I'd also check and make sure he's wearing gloves when he does the bulb changes. Any oils or other contact dirt/grease on the glass can reduce the life of the bulb

I already quizzed him on that. He doesn't touch the bulb surface when installing them. I suggested he go back to the stock halogen bulbs, to see if the problem continues. But, he runs the Silver Stars for my daughter, cause she said she needs the better light! Yeah, it's her Taco (well she drives it mostly).