PDA

View Full Version : F Engine Assembly Party Sunday March 25th

Rzeppa
03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
A couple of you may remember my mechanical difficulty on the way back from Moab last year. Last fall I tore down a spare F engine I had in my garage and then in January I took the parts to Mile High Performance in Wheat Ridge, where they took their time going through the block, head, crank, rods and stuff. They finally finished machining everything earlier this week and I picked everything up yesterday. The block is back on a stand, and I think everything's ready to assemble. They already installed the valves and freeze plugs in the head, and the freeze plugs in the block, so that's all done.

Anyway, I was planning on assembling the motor this Sunday 3/25 starting around 9:00 AM and lasting either until it's done or until I've totally buggered something. Anyone wants to drop by and watch and laugh at me or even lend a hand is welcome to. Assembling motors is clean, easy and fun. Assuming anyone shows up I'll provide pizza and libations. Location is Kittrdege, ping me direct if you don't know where I live. I think about half the club has wrenched at my place at one time or another though. Maybe if we get done early I can talk Scott into jamming with me!

:cheers: :wrench: :thumb:

JadeRunner
03-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Sounds fun, but I'll be skiing with the fam. Spring break will be in full swing.

MDH33
03-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Hey Jeff, I might be able to stop by for a bit. Do you have a Drill press I could use for a couple of minutes? I'll bring you some :beer: . :thumb:

Rzeppa
03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey Jeff, I might be able to stop by for a bit. Do you have a Drill press I could use for a couple of minutes? I'll bring you some :beer: . :thumb:

http://rzeppa.org/tech/fbumper02.jpg

:thumb:

RicardoJM
03-23-2012, 11:12 AM
I believe Tim N. and I will stop by. It is quite likely Tim will be building a 2F to put into in 69 FJ40 and it would be great for him to observe the build process first hand.

MDH33
03-23-2012, 01:16 PM
I believe Tim N. and I will stop by. It is quite likely Tim will be building a 2F to put into in 69 FJ40 and it would be great for him to observe the build process first hand.

Tim Nakari bought a '69 FJ40? :eek::D

subzali
03-23-2012, 01:22 PM
No, it's another Tim N. I had to think about it for a second too :D

Rzeppa
03-23-2012, 09:01 PM
No, it's another Tim N. I had to think about it for a second too :D

LOL! Yeah, the Tim N. that would have come to mind right away would be building a 2UZ, and for that we'd need Robbie and BVB!

:wrench:

Rzeppa
03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Speaking of BVB, he and were chatting many years ago and he referred to the F engines as "shimmers", meaning that to set the oil clearances on the main bearings the factory used shims. Back when he use to do nothing but spin wrenches for a living, building engines and rebuilding trannies whilst blindfolded with one wrench hand tied behind his back, Bill used to work on all this stuff. I remember coming over to his place one afternoon, so that we could go through my H41 and determine whether it needed to be kitted.

He slid out from under his FJ60, having just finished installing an H55F. That day. A couple hours ago.

D00d knows how to wrench!

:wrench:

I have learned so much from Rising Sun members over the years. All I can do is hope to repay some small fraction of all that fellow members have taught me!

:risingsun