PDA

View Full Version : WTB: DUI dizzy for my 40

Phrog
03-25-2012, 07:43 AM
My old dizzy has some play in the drive shaft, and I'm ready
to move into the 20th century with a fully electronic system.
Anyone have a DUI dizzy they'd like to part with?

-Phrog

Air Randy
03-25-2012, 10:34 AM
I think you'll be happy with that decision. I have a DUI in my 40 and it runs great with it. They have a little better timing curve for a tiny bit more pep and they run a much hotter spark. Get the good DUI plug wires with it and open up your spark plug gap. You will never have another fouled plug. You should also run a large gauge A+ wire to the input of the dizzy direct from the battery, that will give you the hottest spark. If you ever need parts for it, they will be standard GM stuff available at every parts store in the world.

IMHO the only down side is cost. New they go for about $375, check some of the Toyota after market places like CCOT as they have their own branded model and it's the cheapest you'll find them new.

You can buy a DUI distributor out of a later model chevy straight 6 engine. You then have to get a Toyota dizzy gear and swap it onto the dizzy and walla, you have a 2F DUI unit. There is a thread somewhere on IH8MUD that explains how to do this.

Phrog
03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Aye, the $375 is a bit painful - will take some time to save that up -
but it seems a simple and reliable solution.

-Phrog

Tommy the Cat
03-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Paul, I did some research last night and there are a couple of people on ebay selling HEI units for 2Fs. They are modified Chevy distributors that have been machined to fit our blocks and the gear changed which I would be willing to bet the DUI units are as well but at a huge mark-up. For $150 I think I would roll the dice on an ebay unit.

Phrog
03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks.

Anyone have any experience with or opinions on Ebay vendor
'bestvaluehotrod'? Here's the link to his FJ-compatible HEI dizzy:
http://tinyurl.com/83ljejm

-Phrog

Tommy the Cat
03-26-2012, 10:35 AM
I imagine the ebay stuff may not have the best components installed, thus keeping the price down. However the parts you really need are the housing and the drive gear, that's the hard part. Once you have those you can very easily replace the rest of the components with top of the line stuff and still come out cheaper than the DUI distributor.

I also would like to know if anybody has experience with these. May have to check on mud.

Air Randy
03-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks.

Anyone have any experience with or opinions on Ebay vendor
'bestvaluehotrod'? Here's the link to his FJ-compatible HEI dizzy:
http://tinyurl.com/83ljejm

-Phrog

I have no experience or opinion on them. For roughly half the price of the other units it's probably worth it to give the unit a try. As long as they use a Toyota specific gear (it looks like they do) you shouldn't have an issue. The problem in the past when people would modify chevy distributors, they would use the GM gear which looks almost identical to the Toyota gear. But the angles on the teeth are slightly different and eventually it would chew up the gear on the cam that drives the distributor.

I know the unit I bought has a different timing curve built into it to give you a little better performance. This unit may have it too but they don't say so. See if they offer HEI plug wires too for a good price. You really need those too.

If your engine has the hard line for the heater hose that runs along the block, you will have to re-route that to clear the big cap on this distributor. To get the maximum benefit of the unit, be sure and open up the gap on your plugs too.

Rezarf
03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Phrog, skip the DUI dizzy and get a fj60 series electronic ignition and dizzy... I swapped out mine years ago and if I bought another 40 it'd be my very first modification. You will need a engine side cover with the "dent" in it to fit the new distributor.

Waterproof, easy swap, vented and all Toyota. Its a 2 banana job at most.

Plus 60 ignition setups are a dime a dozen.