PDA

View Full Version : fire in pine/junction / conifer area

bomber22
03-26-2012, 10:50 PM
to those that live in the pine /junction /conifer /southplatte area I hope every thing is ok.if not please post if there is any thing you need, i know the RS FOLKS WILL STEP UP like they allway's do.

I may not be a member, but I enjoy this group . if somebody needs help and i can help then i'm in. wife approval later.
720-261-6583

baja1d
03-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Second that. We've got an extra bedroom and a camper. I've experienced mandatory evacuations in the past and it's NO fun.

72o-987-42o2

RockRunner
03-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Fire is about 4-5 miles from our house as the crow flies. If it were to turn east it would hit Roxborough and Lockheed. So far the patern has been N-NE and if that stays the course it would hit Chatfield homes instead and Deer Creek canyon homes.

9News has a good map right now of the area, just have to hope the fire turns on itself today and burns out............like that is going to happen. What a fricking week ::eek: :(

DaveInDenver
03-27-2012, 10:55 AM
If you want to hear some of the live radio chatter, 155.220 has been active (Elk Creek dispatch but might be multi-agency) and 146.670 is the district ARES hams. If you have a trunking scanner, the talk group seems to be one of Aurora's TAC EDACS, although I only hear parts since my radio can't follow channel hops and is only analog on 850MHz.

RockRunner
03-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I have a scanner app on my phone that works really well. Was listening to it last night and there is also one thru the Pine Juntion set up.

Rzeppa
03-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Pinecam.com gave a link to scanner site on the internet, my wife and I were listening to it on the computer last night.

I work about 8 miles due north of the fire and you can smell the smoke here. A few minutes ago we got an automated message from the sheriff department telling us to be ready to evacuate on a moment's notice.

RockRunner
03-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Listening to that scanner for the last 5 hours pretty wild. I also have the app on the phone so listening while driving. Need to find out where that spotfire is near Waterton canyon.

subzali
03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
so far the fire is continuing to hang out a couple miles or so SE of the in-laws house, and generally moving NE. Glad to see the aerial support today. Leif's family has property right next to my in-laws, so I'm sure we're all pretty uneasy.

Air Randy
03-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Hope everyone is OK up there and doesn't have to evacuate. I know I was working in the shop last night and the smoke was so thick even at my place that it looked like fog blowing past the outside lights.

corsair23
03-27-2012, 04:31 PM
My in-laws place is a couple miles NW of where the map I looked at shows the fire started...With the winds yesterday it was luckily for them blowing away from them...

Here is a shot (sorry...cell phone pic) of how bad the smoke got in the Littleton area (Broadway & Arapahoe) last night at my daughter's soccer practice

baileyfj40
03-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Katie, the kids, and the zoo and I are ok, the fire is about 10 to 12 miles away and up wind for the time being.

corsair23
03-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Katie, the kids, and the zoo and I are ok, the fire is about 10 to 12 miles away and up wind for the time being.

Good to hear!!

RockRunner
03-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Wind seems to be pretty calm now, on the drive home the smoke was rising pretty straight up. Hoping it stays that way for all involved.

Red_Chili
03-27-2012, 07:45 PM
We are OK, 7 miles or so from the fire. Luck of the draw regards the wind. Evac area is up to S. Turkey Creek (we are N. Turkey Creek). The wind has reversed itself in the last couple hours (good news for Deer Creek/Ken Caryl/Lockheed Martin) which seems like a) it will blow back on itself and b) the SW edge might flare. In fact down by Waterton it did, but the tankers were all over it like Uncle Ben on Rice. It is laid down now.

Keep praying.

Donation information (copied from Pinecam.com):

=Food, Bottled Water, Gas Vouchers, Grocery Store Gift Cards=
Mountain Resource Center Conifer & Evergreen (phone 303-838-7552 or web mrcco.org) - 11030 Kitty Drive, Conifer, CO 80433

=Clean Sheets, Towels, Blankets=
Red Cross Shelter @ West Jefferson Middle School (new evacuation site as of 6:00pm tonight 3/27) - 9449 Barnes Ave Aspen Park, CO 80433

=Clothing Donations=
Mountain Metro Association of Realtors - 1524 Belford Court, Evergreen, CO 80439
Please bring clothing and slightly used shoes to the MMAR office by Friday, April 6th to be distributed to fire victims. Children's clothing and shoes especially needed.

Creative Minds Early Learning Center (phone 303-838-2627) - 27071 Barkley Road Aspen Park, CO 80433
We are setting up a donation drop-off spot in the lobby for clothing and supplies for any families that may need them. Please keep in mind that these families are displaced and don't have room for much. We will also be accepting cash donations and gift certificates to help them through this tragic time. We know they are looking for clothing for their boys, sizes 3T and 5T, and we are sure they would appreciate some clothing for themselves as well.

=Personal Hygiene Items=
The Early-Group (Coldwell Banker) (phone 303-674-7020) - 25997 Conifer Road, Unit C, Conifer, CO 80433; or
Mountain Metro Association of Realtors - 1524 Belford Court, Evergreen, CO 80439
We are also conducting a drive for personal hygiene items for distribution through the Mountain Resource Center

=Foster Puppies=
Creative Minds Early Learning Center (phone 303-838-2627) - 27071 Barkley Road Aspen Park, CO 80433
We also know they are looking for a home for their 2 - 6 month old puppies (brother and sister golden retrievers)

=Financial Donations=
Mountain Resource Center Conifer & Evergreen (phone 303-838-7552 or web mrcco.org) - 11030 Kitty Drive, Conifer, CO 80433
Colorado Red Cross - Mile High Chapter
Elk Creek Fire Department Auxiliary (phone 303-816-9385) - 11993 Blackfoot Rd, PO BOX 59, Conifer, CO 80433

=Volunteer=
Prepare sandwiches for firefighters and evacuees - Angry Llama Cafe (Journey Church) (phone first 303-862-2209) - 5071 Highway 73, Evergreen, Co 80439

=Food Donations=
*Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office requests that no additional food donations be brought to the command post at this time.

powderpig
03-27-2012, 09:15 PM
I have been keeping this in my thoughts since I heard about it this morning. I am glad that it has not turned on too many houses at this time. My heart goes out to the two older peoples family that pass away today. Just hope the Fire fighters get a good hold on it before any winds kick up. I also hope they find the woman that is missing up there.

rover67
03-28-2012, 06:44 AM
How's everybody doing this morning? Man, it just dosent sound good.

we have space for vehicles, and extra bedroom, and some space in the safe if somebody needs it. we are going to be out of town, but can coordinate if somebody needs it.

RockRunner
03-28-2012, 08:00 AM
How's everybody doing this morning? Man, it just dosent sound good.

we have space for vehicles, and extra bedroom, and some space in the safe if somebody needs it. we are going to be out of town, but can coordinate if somebody needs it.

The usual RS attitude, thanks Marco! Here is hoping the fire turns on itself.

Hopefully the loses that have occurred to date remain the loses till the fire dies down.

Red_Chili
03-28-2012, 08:39 AM
You rock, Marco! Doing well here. Saw the Blackhawk helos this morning circling the burn area. They are using those, plus a single engine slurry bomber, plus a heavy tanker slurry bomber to dump on the blaze. Still 0 containment but the smoke has really died down. Winds are calm up here which is a real blessing.

Someone living near Riley Peak (googlemap it) took these of the tanker making a run...
http://i41.tinypic.com/152kot5.jpg

FWOOMP!
http://i39.tinypic.com/r8i2hy.jpg

This is the view from his living room (looking NE -ish) yesterday afternoon:
http://i43.tinypic.com/vfyzra.jpg

I would probably be cleared out if we were that close. I know people with lotsa critters did whether told to or not. Our EXCELLENT vet (large and small animal plus hospital, several horses in critical care, plus a cow after C-section) was just inside the edge of the evac area and had to bug out. Can't imagine... That would be Aspen Creek Veterinary if anyone up here needs the best vets in the area.

Some nut probably to the right of Attilla the Hun was decrying gubmint telling people they had to leave, like that was a Hitler gubmint leading the sheeple, on a 9News story comment. Retired Lockheed Martin engineer.

Too much trichloroethylene absorption? Only explanation I can come up with. The irony of him living on government contract escaped him.

God bless the family of the Lucases (age 77 and 76, found inside and outside a burned structure). One woman from the burn area is still missing and her husband is beside himself at the command center.

Red_Chili
03-28-2012, 08:43 AM
We're not going on our vacation as planned. :(

This thing is starting to look favorable... but one windy day could cause a fire explosion and need to evac the dogs. I am remembering this whole fire started from embers from a week-old controlled burn that was OUT. It was 5 acres on Monday noon, 300 by evening, and 4500 the next day, all due to the wind.

Red_Chili
03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Hmmm...
The fire will be actively engaged from the air today. The air support resources available today include two Heavy P2V Tankers and one SEAT plane dropping fire retardant and four helicopters conducting water drops. These aircraft will be supported by additional command and observation planes. Additional resources are being ordered.

That's good!

The weather forecast for today show winds becoming increasingly southwest with speeds in the 8-14 MPH range with gusts up to 20 MPH specifically around the higher ridges. Humidity is expected to drop relatively low by mid afternoon to around 10% or less.
ugh... that's not so good.

Rzeppa
03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Hey Bill, I didn't know you were on North Turkey Creek! I thought you lived in Littleton? I work on South Turkey Creek, between Hilldale Pines and the Firehouse. I drive past N Turkey Creek (West Ranch end) every day.

We just got another 'bot call from Jeffco reminding us to be ready to evac at a moment's notice. The 2 blackhawks flew over work again this morning, and a few minutes ago a single blackhawk flew by also headed toward the fire. Where I work is about a mile north from the blue mandatory evac line on the jeffco map.

The winds have been pretty calm here today, so hopefully they can pursue the strategy they announced this morning, which is to shift from a defensive posture of only protecting lives and property, to an attack posture of creating fire lines around the perimeter and establishing containment.

corsair23
03-28-2012, 12:53 PM
we have space for vehicles, and extra bedroom, and some space in the safe if somebody needs it.

x2 - shout out if anyone needs anything :thumb:

Red_Chili
03-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Hey Bill, I didn't know you were on North Turkey Creek! I thought you lived in Littleton? I work on South Turkey Creek, between Hilldale Pines and the Firehouse. I drive past N Turkey Creek (West Ranch end) every day.

We just got another 'bot call from Jeffco reminding us to be ready to evac at a moment's notice. The 2 blackhawks flew over work again this morning, and a few minutes ago a single blackhawk flew by also headed toward the fire. Where I work is about a mile north from the blue mandatory evac line on the jeffco map.

The winds have been pretty calm here today, so hopefully they can pursue the strategy they announced this morning, which is to shift from a defensive posture of only protecting lives and property, to an attack posture of creating fire lines around the perimeter and establishing containment.
Yep, we are at the top of N. Turkey Creek, about two miles east of Hwy 73. About 3-4 miles as the crow flies from the evac perimeter, about 7-8 miles from the active fire. Thank God for a calm day! One day of winds like Monday's and the used dog food would hit the reciprocating atmospheric movement device for sure. I know Monday we could see the massive plume right on the other side of Doubleheader, which is right at the head of our valley.

Saw the two Blackhawks this morning. Have heard but not seen the air tankers... smoke is laying down, though they say 0% containment it looks good. As long as the wind stays calm...

Got all the duff mowed a couple hundred yards away from the house, and Lise filled, almost singlehandedly, 20 55 gal. bags of pine needles and other duff. That girl ain't afraid of work... I know she works harder than I do, for less, at her day job teaching.

They are starting the search for the missing woman. Starting at her last known location, at her home. Which was destroyed by the fire. :(

Rzeppa
03-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Bill, are you past Danks drive?

We had 3 blackhawks fly over us this morning, followed by 2 smaller choppers (spotters maybe?) then 2 more blackhawks several minutes later. Man them things are loud! We are still on pre-evac orders, we got another 'bot call from the sheriff yesterday.

15% containment is a good way to start the morning!

Our UPS driver told us yesterday that he knows the woman they are looking for. He said she has been battling cancer and that she is very weak. He doubts she made it out. :(

Red_Chili
03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
I'm ON Danks. That's the valley anyway.

Pix of the Blackhawks fighting the fire:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/conationalguard/sets/72157629692849721/

I shuddered when viewing the burned out homes, including the one the couple died in. Did more reading, they were elderly but not any dementia, they were active in their church, very familiar with living in the forest, and they had a full fire retardant system for the home exterior. Even looked like they had a decent fire break. They called their church requesting prayer because "they had a little fire". About that time of day, it WAS little, like, 5-10 acres.

Turns out a patrol group from the Colorado State Forestry observed embers blowing from the 'controlled' burn area to unburned forest Monday before the blowup. Yet the director of the CSFS denied they caused it. Until he apologized.

That thing blew up so fast the Lucases didn't have time to get out... :eek: I bet Sam Lucas was outside spraying down his house with retardant when he was overcome. :( His pickup was in the driveway where they found it half melted.

Rzeppa
03-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah, they said the crew there monitoring it was in a fire truck. The ember blew across the road and next thing they knew the crew was on the horn requesting help.

I heard that this morning about the Lucas', apparently they had foam retardant for their house and it still burned up. No doubt, the winds were crazy up here Monday.

Those shots of the Blackhawks are sweet. We were speculating that they might be using Strontia Reservoir to fill their buckets.

subzali
03-29-2012, 10:56 AM
have they filled Strontia back up yet?

MountainGoat
03-29-2012, 11:25 AM
According to the Colorado National Guard:

"Colorado crews have dropped more than 49,000 gallons of natural fire suppression from the Platte River and Strontia Springs Reservoir."

:thumb:

timmbuck2
03-29-2012, 01:56 PM
x2 - shout out if anyone needs anything :thumb:

x3!! I have plenty of room at the shop for vehicles and stuff, and an extra bedroom :)

RockRunner
03-29-2012, 08:24 PM
have they filled Strontia back up yet?

It was never emptied. Lowered a little but nothing major.

RockRunner
03-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Bill, the large planes were pulled late yesterday for fires in SD. Guess that one is pretty bad too.

wesintl
03-29-2012, 08:50 PM
A friend of mine is CLOSE.. He has a lexus cruiser lives at pleasant park and s Kuehster rd

MountainGoat
03-29-2012, 09:30 PM
The firefighters are kicking ass. 45% contained and no expansion today. Some of the evacuees were allowed to return home to check things out, etc. If the wind stays down and we get the moisture predicted this weekend we should be in good shape. :thumb:

wesintl
03-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Dan you probably remember cj on the red cone run. He was allowed back in today.

Fishy
03-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I just got home from work, (Air Traffic Control at Denver Approach) The Fire Commander flying an AC90 and SKY2 (Skywatch News Helo) both reported the fire as being totally out regardless of what the media was saying? True?

MountainGoat
03-30-2012, 07:22 AM
Dan you probably remember cj on the red cone run. He was allowed back in today.

I do remember him. Glad the fire didn't get that extra mile to his place!

I just got home from work, (Air Traffic Control at Denver Approach) The Fire Commander flying an AC90 and SKY2 (Skywatch News Helo) both reported the fire as being totally out regardless of what the media was saying? True?

It could be that the authorities are playing it on the cautious side. The population density is very high in the area of the fire. Also remember, the prescribed burn was "totally out" before the wind created flair up started this fire.

Red_Chili
03-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Not true at all. Creeping ground fire and smoldering in heavy fuels at this point. Leave it to the media to report what they think is true but isn't.

No way a fire of this magnitude would be out this fast. Unless we got a major monsoon with flooding.

The problem with the moisture this weekend is, it will be light, and preceded by gusting winds on Saturday. With an active fire at 4,000 acres torched, Saturday will be a nailbiter. Remember, this thing was embers on Monday, 5 acres at 2PM Monday, blew up to 300+ within a couple hours due to gusty winds and came through so fast that the Lucases died loading their truck to evacuate. And by all reports, Sam Lucas was no neophyte about fire in the woods.

Red_Chili
03-30-2012, 07:30 AM
Also remember, the prescribed burn was "totally out" before the wind created flair up started this fire.
The Lucases and their neighbors were calling 911 over the weekend reporting smoke prior to the wind event on Monday. They kept getting told to not call every time they smelled smoke, that it was a controlled burn, it was under control, yadda yadda.

I would hate to be that dispatcher now. :(

subzali
03-30-2012, 07:49 AM
My in-laws were allowed to go home yesterday, but I agree that we're not out of the woods yet.

Red_Chili
03-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Per http://jeffcosheriff1.blogspot.com/2012/03/lower-north-fork-fire-update-32912-1600.html, folks let back in have to be ready to evac RIGHT NOW if notified, not 30 minutes from now, no warning at all... and they are using SO sirens not reverse 911 to let them know, just to be on the safe side.

No, not out of the woods at all... :(

Just posted at Jeffco, weather for Saturday:
Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 70. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southeast. Winds could gust as high as 16 mph.
Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 44. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 9 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 65. Breezy, with a southwest wind between 6 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph.
Sunday Night: A slight chance of rain before midnight, then a chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
That is bad for Pleasant Park toward Conifer... the updated fire map is posted as well.

wesintl
03-30-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm sure he probably meant the flames and visible part of the fire. sure it will take a while for embers to burn out.

Red_Chili
03-30-2012, 08:12 AM
If you have some spare cash, or a pantry with just a FEW too many items, or maybe are itching to replace some appliances...

http://jeffcosheriff1.blogspot.com/2012/03/lower-north-fork-fire-donation-request.html

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Lower North Fork Fire Donation Request

Press Release on Behalf of the Mountain Resource Center

Specific donations are being requested to assist the families impacted by the Lower North Fork Fire. 100% of the items donated will go directly to the families impacted and displaced by the fire.

Mountain Resource Center, a local community center in Conifer, located at 11030 Kitty Dr. has agreed to accept the following items Monday-Friday 9-5 and this Saturday and Sunday from 9-2:

Cash or checks- checks may be mailed to Mountain Resource Center, P.O. Box 425 Conifer, Co 80433
Financial donations may also be done at http://www.mrcco.org/
Gift cards in small denominations of $15-25.00 (Target, Wal-Mart, local grocery stores and gas stations)
Pantry food items that are non-perishable
Springtime seasonal new or near new clothing - folded and placed in boxes

Those wishing to donate furniture or appliances are asked to contact the center directly at 303-838-7552 or email info@mrcco.org. Mountain Resource Center is not able to accept furniture at this time but will coordinate requests with community members wishing to donate.

Red_Chili
03-30-2012, 08:15 AM
As of last night, 6PM:
The fire behavior that was observed today was primarily creeping ground fire with some areas of smoldering in heavier fuels.

rover67
03-30-2012, 09:34 AM
News sounds good, glad its calmed down a bit

Red_Chili
03-30-2012, 10:05 AM
This is our veterinarian... among the best. OK actually it is someone helping our vet move back in...

http://bcove.me/8vc1sh4n

Red_Chili
03-30-2012, 12:07 PM
From the Rocky Mountain Area Coordination Center (http://gacc.nifc.gov/rmcc/links/fire_info/index.html):
Fires Managed to Achieve Multiple Resource Objectives

Full Suppression Strategy

Lower North Fork: (CO-JEX) IMT1 (Harvey) 1 mile E of Foxton, CO. Evacuations have been lifted for approximately 720 homes. However, 180 homes remain under evacuation orders. All fixed wing assets released from the incident, 3 rotor wing assets remain. Initial Attack resources have also started demobilizing or have demobilized. Minimal perimeter growth is expected over the next 24 hours. John Peterson, PSICC Deputy Forest Supervisor, is the Agency Administrator for the FS.

Acres: 4,140 (less than 5 acres on USFS)
Containment: 45%
Personnel: 778
USFS Personnel: 83
Estimated Containment: 1 April

Significant actions: CTF-1 (Urban Search and Rescue) continues to search for missing person. IREA worked to restore power to homes. Crews made significant progress constructing fire line. Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper visited the fire today. Senator Udall and Congressman Coffman may visit the fire tomorrow.
Actions for tomorrow: Crews will continue to construct containment line and evacuation zones will be reevaluated to try and allow for remaining residents to return to their homes. Mop up will begin where applicable.

Concerns: Fire burning in populated WUI area. Steep dissecting terrain, low relative humidity, low fuel moistures and heavy fuel loading. Strong and erratic winds are forecasted for the weekend. Type I team feels confident that current strategy will allow for rapid progress on containment lines.
Fire Information can be followed through the JFCO blogspot: http://jeffcosheriff1.blogspot.com/

Here's hoping. Starting to gust up here.

Red_Chili
03-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Ewwww... pinecam.com summary info. Rich Harvey seems like a straight shooter and it ain't his first rodeo.
4:00 UPDATE:

Crews are increasing and widening the fire lines to prevent any spreading over the weekend. Power is being restored in the area. It is still spotty, however.

Mark Techmayer - Jefferson County

Things went well - we had a great day - holding at 70% containment. Evacuation zones have not changed. The search for Ann Appel continues search and rescue teams have hit another 150 acres today. IREA, when the fire started, had 267 homes that were without power - 211 homes have been restored with 56 left to go.

Nine patrol cars escorted approximately 30 property owners back in to see their homes and that will continue tomorrow as well.

The distressing news is that the weather forecast just changed. It will be windier and warmer sooner in the day tomorrow than originally thought.

RICH HARVEY - Incident commander -
There is still a threat for the SW winds to push the fire to the NE into the areas that are evacuated. There have been "100's of thousands" of spot fires. We have been cutting line, mopping up and focusing on infrared aerial flights at night. We are watching for heat signatures from the air and then verifying that information with crews on the ground.

The winds will be increasing in speed, the relative humidity will be dropping and the temperatures will be rising - bringing us to a return to the conditions that started this situation and could trigger extreme fire behavior. Troops are on the ground and ready to go should something develop.

70% is not 100% and 100% is not a guarantee. There is a south facing brush slope and we are keeping a very close eye on fuel- topography and winds on that edge - that is our big concern. The last lick is always the hardest. The easy part has been done - the tough part remains.

The winds on Saturday will help us find any spots we have missed. Getting through that will assist toward containment - we will then feel comfortable that the containment lines will hold despite the winds.

Sunday is supposed to be worse than Saturday - red flag warning - sustained winds of over 25 mph. It is in the forecast - it is not happening now.

We are comfortable with the resources that we have. Their focus and shift assignments may change as we prepare for the wind event - we have about 500 troops out working right now.

Next update will be provided at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday morning

TIMZTOY
03-30-2012, 09:19 PM
took this when driving home, the bridge is santa fa, doing 75 mph driving with one knee phone out the sunroof.