PDA

View Full Version : Causing trouble with the Taco

bgoodheart
03-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Why wouldn't I cut off perfectly good sheetmetal...? Thanks to Travis (baja1d) for all the help getting the new bumper tacked up. More to come soon - still some parts (side protection, wing braces, etc) and the swing-out to get welded up, but it's getting there.

MDH33
03-29-2012, 02:07 PM
The bumper is looking good.

What did you do to the cut edge to prevent it from rusting?

bgoodheart
03-29-2012, 02:53 PM
What did you do to the cut edge to prevent it from rusting?

I filed it, painted it, and then used a thick bead of silicone windshield gasket inside some edge strip. I figure that ought to take care of it, but we'll see!

Looks like this:

BJ

RicardoJM
03-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Nice BJ. Have you posted up a photo with the sliders?

bgoodheart
03-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Nice BJ. Have you posted up a photo with the sliders?

Not yet, and I didn't really take any when I put them on. I'll snap a few more with the bumper in progress and try to get the sliders as well.

BJ

RockRunner
03-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Nice job, looks real clean and I like the lines.

Corbet
03-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Is that bumper from a kit or all your fabrication? Either way I like it.:thumb:

bgoodheart
03-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Is that bumper from a kit or all your fabrication? Either way I like it.:thumb:

I wanted to order the Bushmaster 1.0 from CBI offroad, but I couldn't swing the cost to have them build one for me. I called them up and asked if they would just send me the pieces. They don't normally sell kits, so the process has been a little bumpy, but I saved about 50% over buying it as a finished piece. More work to come on it this weekend...

Link to the bumper: http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_28&products_id=76

BJ

bgoodheart
04-04-2012, 10:52 AM
More work on the bumper...

Red_Chili
04-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Looks quite solid! Creative budget-mindedness! Maybe they will consider this option as a main product.

nakman
04-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Nice looking- are you going to add an angle piece for under the frame, so you can also bolt it up from the bottom? or just stick with the 2 bolts per side. It's been a while since I had a Taco so can't remember but I thought the receiver hitches bolted 2 on the side, and one on the bottom?

Just thinking out loud- all your load from impact should you drop off a ledge is going to be shouldered by the sheer strength of your two bolts- it would be cool if that load could be partially carried mechanically by the bumper, in the way of a little shelf below the frame. As long as it's still on the garage floor, just tossing that out. :beer:

bgoodheart
04-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Tim, you remember correctly, there is a bolt from the bottom. Once I get everything where it needs to be, I'll get it bolted in position and then tack in the tabs while it's on the truck. I wanted to leave room to make adjustments for now so that I can get the body gaps lined up, etc.

I still need to finish that up, make a cap for the spindle, some sort of mechanism for the retaining pin to go on the spindle, and then clean up the corners on the top side so that they match the curve of the body underneath the taillights. That, and some paint, and we'll be ready to test it at Moab.

BJ

bgoodheart
04-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Just about there... Big thanks to baja1d, Air Randy, and Red Chili for the help, garage space, and welder use! :bowdown:

BJ

farnhamstj
04-10-2012, 10:57 PM
That's excellent.

Jacket
04-11-2012, 02:35 PM
My favorite design for the tacoma. You'll be very pleased with the improved departure angle!

bgoodheart
04-13-2012, 09:05 AM
My favorite design for the Tacoma. You'll be very pleased with the improved departure angle!

That's excellent.

Thanks gents. Although the parts and pieces could have been better, it sure beats cutting and bending everything from scratch. If nothing else, this thing is rock solid. I'll have to weigh it, but I think it's around 165# all told.

TIMZTOY
04-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Nice BJ.

new sig... :lmao:

bgoodheart
04-24-2012, 02:47 PM
new sig... :lmao:

I probably should have seen that coming...

Anyway, the bumper is done except for a few little things like mounting the license plate, lights, and a retainer for the screw pin. Here it is as it looks right now. My little helper made sure it went on correctly.

DenCo40
04-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Very nice indeed!

subzali
04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Sweet. It looked kinda goofy when you drove to the meeting with it off and your quarters cut, but with the bumper back on all's well again :thumb:

bgoodheart
04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Sweet. It looked kinda goofy when you drove to the meeting with it off and your quarters cut, but with the bumper back on all's well again :thumb:

It did look a little weird, but then again, I look a little weird...so there's that :hill:

Red_Chili
04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Looks wonderful!
You may want to consider moving the spare higher.

DAMHIK... :lmao:
I moved mine higher in three steps, each time going, "SERIOUS??!?" Finally no more issue. It did prevent some rollover damage due to being so high now... BONUS! :lmao:

bgoodheart
04-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks Bill,

The tire carrier section is adjustable, so at least I won't have to cut anything to move it further up if I need to. Looking forward to hearing the story that prompted you moving yours...

BJ

Red_Chili
04-25-2012, 05:52 PM
The original bumper, "designed" by Scott at Rockstomper (mind you, Scott is a good guy... but his brother Brian is a better engineer), had the spare held on by allthread. OK, simple enough, but a pain to remove, and allthread is only so strong. So I moved it up. Well... it kept dragging on boulders, which would eventually break the allthread. I moved it up again, thinking it was silly high. Still happened.

So I finally engineered a mount that would use lug nuts, as well as providing a place for a spare locking hub or flange. I can't tell you how handy the latter has been. As for the former, it was strong enough to act as part of a roll cage when I rolled the Chili, and it prevented a great deal of damage (not to mention providing safety) in that event.

Yeah, it's high... but amazing how low high can be in some situations, when you got a buttdragger such as yerself.

http://redchili.smugmug.com/4x4/Red-Chili-25-post-rebuild/Chili-in-the-Squeeze-OCG/243315173_z9cNj-O.jpg
http://redchili.smugmug.com/4x4/Chinamans-Gulch-Rising-Sun/DSCN0242/297087638_ikZur-L.jpg

bgoodheart
05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Looks wonderful!
You may want to consider moving the spare higher.

Some of us just have to learn the hard way...:o

Never got around to moving the tire up prior to Moab. A couple whacks on Fins have convinced me that there is no time like the present! No permanent damage, but it took some "engineering" back at camp to get things straight again. At this rate, maybe I should have skipped the swing-out and put the thing on the roof!

BJ

Corbet
05-09-2012, 09:32 PM
You don't want it on the roof. What a pain to get off there when you need it. Don't feel bad I'm going to move mine up and closer to the body too. Mind you I didn't hit mine on anything in Moab last week:p: