PDA

View Full Version : Front axle

baja1d
03-29-2012, 04:23 PM
Anybody have an assembled front 40 axle laying around that I could borrow for a few weeks. I just purchased Ian's Ikea build from Tim and need to get the project to my house. Unfortunately, Ian did not get a chance to reassemble the original front axle. Basically I just need to use a borrowed axle for transport purposes onto/off of a trailer.

http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16581

Thanks in advance,

MDH33
03-29-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm no help with parts, but, I've rolled 40's with rear axles bolted on front and rear for transport purposes. You could also use a tow dolly to get it on/off a trailer.

baja1d
03-29-2012, 07:04 PM
That would work too. Definitely need something secure because I don't want to jack up all the work Ian did.

Rezarf
03-30-2012, 08:29 AM
How about a pallet jack and blocks? Also, I see them pop up on CL all the time. I wouldn't think you'd need a 40 axle only... most axles could be strapped in place for a short ride up a trailer. I was also thinking about those wheel dollies... could work?

Thinking more about it, a 40 axle does make the most sense. :D

RicardoJM
03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Do you have all the front axle parts? If so, it would seem the most straight forward thing would be to install them.

baja1d
03-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Ian wants it out of his garage & the original is in pieces. I was hoping to get it home and take my time with the reassembly.

RicardoJM
03-31-2012, 07:38 AM
So long as all the pieces are there, the front end can be put together enough to get it rolling in fairly short order. Once it arrives at its new home, it can be torn back down for a more thorough assembly.

From the photos, it looks like there is a third member (backwards?) in place and everything from the knuckles out is off. Slap in some trunions, slip on the knuckle, insert the axle, slap on the spindle and slap on the rotor with bearings - you are ready for tires:D.

If you are concerned about damaging the new bearings, just use old ones.

wesintl
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
ah ha, Let me know if you can use either of those old ones Travis

baja1d
04-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks Wes. The rear will work perfectly.