PDA

View Full Version : 22RE Intake question

J Kimmel
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I *think* I know the answer but can't seem t find anything definitive...

Does the coolant flow through the intake on a 22RE? I've been chasing a coolant leak for some time that's been getting steadily worse. I can usually tell when its low, the temps start getting hot. Add a half gallon of water and voila it cools right back down and runs perfect.

I was looking at the source (pretty sure) and it seems to be coming out of the intake just below the thermostat housing. I'm positive its not from the thermostat, since that's dry and has no water leak marks. Its all below, you can see it pool on the intake. I've got a new gasket, but really don't feel like doing it unless I know water flows through there!

THANKS

Jeremy

DaveInDenver
04-02-2012, 11:43 AM
There is a throttle body heater with coolant flowing. There are two little hoses under there that are notorious for leaking and no ever remembers to replace them when doing new radiator hoses.

That's the only one that comes to mind other than the water outlet, thermostat, coolant sensor up in the front.

DaveInDenver
04-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Here's a photo, you can see the places where the tubes will be at the front of the engine. There is an extension pipe that comes from the back of the timing chain cover and the return.

http://armbrusterweb.com/public/webshots/engine/22re_027.jpg

http://armbrusterweb.com/public/webshots/engine/22re_031.jpg

DaveInDenver
04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
This thread shows them in place. They're the little 'S' and 'U' shaped tubes under the intake.

http://www.yotatech.com/f116/coolant-hose-confusion-166088/

That the gasket at the back of the timing cover weeps often. The pipe is steel, the cover is aluminum. Over time I think the gasket loses seal from the flexing and non-uniform heating. But it's really common for coolant to leak under there.

DaveInDenver
04-02-2012, 12:06 PM
BTW, the part is called the IAC, idle air control. I have a spare if yours is leaking, but I bet it's either the tubes or there is a rubber 'o' gasket that seals it to the bottom of the throttle body. That should not leak unless it got torn during installation.

J Kimmel
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
I'll look again. I SWEAR you can see it right against the head, looking down on the engine just below the thermostat housing. I thought about those lines underneath, just doesn't appear to be so, it seems to be coming from above...

TIMZTOY
04-02-2012, 09:18 PM
there is also a plate on the back side of the head, that has oil and coolent flowing through it. after doing my conversion, i had a small leak and couldnt find it.
then when i pulled my tranny down to do the clutch, i found the little booger leaking.. i found that one if the bolts was loose. tightned it and vollwola..

J Kimmel
04-02-2012, 09:26 PM
not there either, I know the plate you speak of.

I hate this thing...anyone want to buy my buggy?

Air Randy
04-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Lets drop a Chebby V8 into it. Just get the adaptor setup from AA and you can keep your stock drivetrain. :D

Or, offer it to Tom for a good price..........he'll need something to drive at Moab :)

RockRunner
04-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Or, offer it to Tom for a good price..........he'll need something to drive at Moab :)

Funny guy you, real funny :rolleyes: We got everything in place and are ready to tack everything in place. Pull it all out again and then Jeremy is going to weld the crap out of it so I can beat the crap out of it.:D

If we can get this done this week it will be time for the wiring harness. I got Mike to make me one so everything is labelled and it is really plug and play. Biggest problem is putting everything back in place like all the vacuum lines. I have no idea where those go.

Funny guy.............real funny :lmao::rolleyes:

J Kimmel
04-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Lets drop a Chebby V8 into it. Just get the adaptor setup from AA and you can keep your stock drivetrain. :D

nah...at least the way it is it still runs :) Just bring extra water :(

the good news is all I'm spilling on the trail is water...

no definitive answers, I'll be pulling it shortly to put a new gasket in, can't take more than a day :rolleyes:

Red_Chili
04-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Funny guy you, real funny :rolleyes: We got everything in place and are ready to tack everything in place. Pull it all out again and then Jeremy is going to weld the crap out of it so I can beat the crap out of it.:D

If we can get this done this week it will be time for the wiring harness. I got Mike to make me one so everything is labelled and it is really plug and play. Biggest problem is putting everything back in place like all the vacuum lines. I have no idea where those go.

Funny guy.............real funny :lmao::rolleyes:
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Vacuum lines are easy. There's a whole 5vz manual online... Google is your friend. Easier than the 22RE. Really. Be sure to not use cheapie vacuum and evap hoses... DAMHIK.
I have faith in you Tom. No... no really I do. Really. ;)

I would post the SM somewhere on RS if .rar files were allowed... big though. Expands to a disk image.