PDA

View Full Version : Can Somebody Measure their Edgestar?

rover67
04-03-2012, 09:32 AM
I am trying to get some things on order but am not near my fridge.

Can somebody measure their edgestar (43qt) and see how big of a plate would fit down in the basket of the main compartment?

I am gonna buy an aluminum plate and drill it to turn my edgestar into a jockey box for moab.

-Marco

rover67
04-03-2012, 10:09 AM
found it online. looks like about 11" x 11"

Caribou Sandstorm
04-03-2012, 04:07 PM
What is a jockey box?

rover67
04-03-2012, 04:30 PM
What is a jockey box?

one of these:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/jockey/HDCPD248R.html

The plate will have beer flowing through it to cool it so I can keep the keg outside :)

RockRunner
04-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Pretty cool Marco, are you going to run the hoses through he lid or ?

rover67
04-03-2012, 09:11 PM
gonna pop a few small holes in the side so they can be covered up if I want to convert it back.. gotta figure out how not to hit a refrigerant line now.

Caribou Sandstorm
04-04-2012, 11:36 AM
You need to take an X-ray of the side or remove the top plastic and peek downward. I bet you could do that and then replace the plastic top with some silicone?

rover67
04-04-2012, 12:04 PM
You need to take an X-ray of the side

dang, you are brilliant. I was just going to let it run and see where it froze, but that is a better idea.

that's what i'll do.

Corbet
04-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Waiting on pictures.... ;)

OilHammer
04-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Or just drill random holes... :)
I would be willing to bet the coils don't run all the way to the top of the box.

nakman
04-09-2012, 01:26 PM
Or just drill random holes... :)

Ha! that's what I'd do... you should see me find a stud behind drywall. :lmao:

rover67
04-14-2012, 09:59 AM
so glad I didn't drill random holes!

check this out.. first shot is the bottom of the fridge.. no pipes.

second is a lateral shot. lots of pipes!

Spike looking thing in the image is what i used to mark where I will drill holes.

Jacket
04-14-2012, 10:01 AM
I wonder if you're the first guy ever to Xray a fridge? :)

rover67
04-14-2012, 10:42 AM
nope:

http://www.visualphotos.com/image/1x6060611/open_refrigerator_x-ray

RockRunner
04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Did you make sure it wasn't pregnant :D Or cover the special parts with a lead blanket????:D

Must be nice to have an Xray machine at your disposal :thumb:

rover67
04-14-2012, 08:42 PM
I covered my special parts :D

Caribou Sandstorm
04-15-2012, 09:50 AM
I like the X-rays, super cool.. I forgot to mention that you might want to tape a ruler or quarter to the side so you have a measurement reference.

You could use your markings, if they are on your box.

Inukshuk
04-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Speechless.

rover67
04-15-2012, 03:15 PM
I like the X-rays, super cool.. I forgot to mention that you might want to tape a ruler or quarter to the side so you have a measurement reference.

You could use your markings, if they are on your box.

the pointy thing is my reference :)

Caribou Sandstorm
04-15-2012, 04:14 PM
I am a dork.. :o

Is that what you meant to say Daniel..:)

OilHammer
04-15-2012, 10:00 PM
That's cool. We're getting ready to do that to a bunch of concrete walls to see where the rebar is.

Every time I'm in a doctor's office and they leave me alone, I start playing with stuff in the exam room just to annoy them. I can just see you going in for a check up and saying, "um, yeah, I need to bring this box in with me."

rover67
04-24-2012, 07:58 PM
Alrighty. I personally think this is my best work yet.

I drilled 14 6" cross holes in a 8 x 8 x 2" plate. Then I connected them all at the tops and bottoms with another cross hole to feed the beer in and out.

Plugged the drillings on the side of the plate I started from and viola, a custom cold plate that fits my edgestar!!

rover67
04-24-2012, 08:00 PM
next step was to grow a set of cojones and drill my fridge. Well, pretty sure I marked the right spot a week ago.... so, bam, straight through with my 1/4" drill bit. I then stuck a few pieces of 1/4" copper through to hook lines to.

No leaks!!!! X-Ray's work!!! Fridge is just plugging away!

rover67
04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Last step, hook it all up!

A shot of the inside with the cold plate plumbed in, and the outside with the serving line and keg line hooked up.

I am currently waiting to let it cool down for a test :) I'll probably pack cold packs around the plate to make sure it has enough cold capacity for some thirsty Cruise Moab adventurers......

60wag
04-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Outstanding. May I be the first to propose a toast!

RockRunner
04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Nice job!! That is a lot of drilling,thankfully it was aluminum.

Question for you, will the copper have any negative effect on the beer? It is only a little piece but while the beer is stored will the carbonation do anything to it?

nakman
04-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Just awesome, can't wait to test it! :beer2: :drink:

rover67
04-25-2012, 12:05 AM
it took a while to drill for sure..

I am not sure about the copper, but I don't think it will affect the beer at all. I have run beer through a copper coil to cool it in the past and it has done fine. Maybe stainless is better? I can't bend that as easily though. perhaps a beer expert can chime in..

corsair23
04-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Crap...It would appear that I might have given up one of the best camping spots in Slickrock this year :hill:

DaveInDenver
04-25-2012, 06:38 AM
I am not sure about the copper, but I don't think it will affect the beer at all. I have run beer through a copper coil to cool it in the past and it has done fine. Maybe stainless is better? I can't bend that as easily though. perhaps a beer expert can chime in..
Both copper and aluminum are bad for beer, stainless is much (and I stress much) better. But thing being what they are, making everything out of stainless is not possible, so all we can do is minimize exposure times to things that are not stainless, glass or plastic.

Copper introduced after fermenting will likely rise enough to be toxic to yeast and leads to hazy beer. Remember your inorganic chemistry, copper has positive ions and reacts easily. The only time copper is useful is during the initial boil and that's to introduce small (trace) amounts to enhance yeast viability. But the exposure to the copper during boiling is short, not a lot of time to react. The yeast consumes it, which is also why people with non-copper brew kettles have to adjust for this.

Also as for storage, remember that you probably fix your brew water pH with calcium sulfate (CaSO4, gypsum), your finished beer will have dissolved residual sulfate since the calcium is reacted to reduce pH and leaves sulfate. This is good, it's a slight preservative. However recalling that copper (Cu) is reactive with a +2 charge and sulfate (SO4) has a -2 charge, well, the resulting reaction leaves you with dissolved copper sulfate. CuSO4 is mildly poisonous to humans and particularly acute as the pH goes down.

However if I had to chose I would go with copper in an instant over aluminum. I'd never let aluminum touch my food unless there was no other choice. Like Oscar Blues and no glass bottles policies. But they coat the can so that the beer is not exposed to raw aluminum. Plus, it's hard to argue that a life without beer is worse than brain damage and kidney failure from aluminum toxicity. Which, going full circle with the argument, is the same effect copper has on yeast after fermentation, heavy metal toxicity.

Now you want to hear another irony? Beer's Law, which describes the relative light absorptivity of a material, is often demonstrated using dissolved CuSO4, thus one reason why we get the haze in beer is scientifically important in human history.

rover67
04-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Dave, you got a lot of stuff in that egg of yours... thanks for the info.

I don't use gypsum mainly because I always forget so maybe that's a plus?

So maybe just purge it for a sec before filling a cup? OR is it muy malo and don't use it?

DaveInDenver
04-25-2012, 07:51 AM
The amount of time the beer will be in the chiller is small, I dunno.

Personally I'd probably be more concerned with the aluminum block rather than a couple of brass (not the same as copper, zinc has its own characteristics) fittings and short copper tubes. There's not enough time and area to hurt the yeast, this is more a conditioning and storage concern.

Yoda has good advice. I'd also be worried about you on a personal level if you threw away beer. I might purge the little bit that sits overnight before resumption of duties in the morning.

RockRunner
04-25-2012, 08:15 AM
Well, I didn't mean to start a chemistry class but thanks Dave. Sorry Marco, did not mean to stir the pot :whiteflag: . I just remembered something about beer and copper, totally spaced the aluminum block.

I wonder how long it has to sit to create a problem. If you purge it before using after letting it sit overnight I bet it would be OK. You could use the old beer to wash the windshield :rolleyes:.

DaveInDenver
04-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Well, I didn't mean to start a chemistry class but thanks Dave. Sorry Marco, did not mean to stir the pot :whiteflag: . I just remembered something about beer and copper, totally spaced the aluminum block.

I wonder how long it has to sit to create a problem. If you purge it before using after letting it sit overnight I bet it would be OK. You could use the old beer to wash the windshield :rolleyes:.
Dude, beer is the best justifications for sleeping through chem class.

There is so much to know about making beer, it's one of the reasons humans are who they are; always trying to understand, improve, efficiently make and store beer.

How Beer Saved The World (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1832368/)

UC8SdkufNBo

"Without beer we'd probably still be living in caves."

OilHammer
04-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Dave, you got a lot of stuff in that egg of yours... thanks for the info.

I don't use gypsum mainly because I always forget so maybe that's a plus?

So maybe just purge it for a sec before filling a cup? OR is it muy malo and don't use it?

That's an awesome chiller! You seem to have access to stuff no mere mortals have, so why not just get the aluminum dipped in that coating? I guess it's almost like an anodization process. Hey, you have two days, get cracking!

rover67
04-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Or use the purge beer to bathe in !!

:)

Yeah Dave, I was thinking about the Al pots in the huts for snow melt on the ride in this morning. you got me thinking.

Barry, don't kid.. for a second this morning I was also thinking about taking a stainless coil, flattening it and pouring molten AL over it to create a chiller. I haven't cast aluminum yet, so maybe worth a try? My Kiln gets to like 2000 degrees so I could melt Aluminum.. and I have a big block of it now...

OilHammer
04-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Hmm....if you are melting aluminum, you will need to find a groovy mold. Hmmm.....like casting in indentions in the top of it to perfectly hold 6 aluminum cans as well. Because you need draft amber beer and the canned IPA chaser being chilled at the same time!

Or you have to figure some sort of shot block integrated into this thing... heh

Caribou Sandstorm
04-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Dave, nice avatar, I think I need that on a t-shirt, no all my t-shirts..

DaveInDenver
04-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Or use the purge beer to bathe in !!

:)

Yeah Dave, I was thinking about the Al pots in the huts for snow melt on the ride in this morning. you got me thinking.

Barry, don't kid.. for a second this morning I was also thinking about taking a stainless coil, flattening it and pouring molten AL over it to create a chiller. I haven't cast aluminum yet, so maybe worth a try? My Kiln gets to like 2000 degrees so I could melt Aluminum.. and I have a big block of it now...
I like your thinking kid.

I agree with you about the aluminum pots and honestly there is no way to be 100% all the time. I used to keep a huge, oxidized aluminum pot around that we use during jam and canning season. I treated that like cast iron (which we use daily), no Brillo pads or pointy metal tools. It's been relegated to utility duty since dropping the coin on an industrial sized NSF commercial stainless pot.

OTOH, I figure that the effort (and thus pro-health benefits) to achieve the huts offsets the negatives. If I was not skiing/walking/riding to them, I'd be more concerned. Plus copious volumes of whisky protects against aluminum, right?

Then don't get me started about non-aluminum-baring antiperspirations that work worth a crap.

corsair23
04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I don't understand half of all of this but I'm pretty sure I'm going to die of copper or alumimum poisoning :eek:

60wag
04-25-2012, 03:18 PM
I won't tell anyone about the lead solder joints.

OilHammer
04-25-2012, 03:26 PM
From wikipedia:
"Aluminium cans are coated internally to protect the aluminium from oxidizing. Despite this coating, trace amounts of aluminium can be degraded into the liquid, the amount depending on factors such as storage temperature and liquid composition.[8][9] Chemical compounds used in the internal coating of the can include types of epoxy resin.[10] Companies use "epoxy resin (made from BPA) to manufacture coatings for the interior of beer and beverage cans."[11]"

Epoxy? Marco, just plug the ends of that thing and slosh some epoxy around in there and then dump it out. ;) Doubt it's that similar, but epoxy and anodizing don't sound the same at all in terms of application of material.

corsair23
04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Ceramic coating?

Not just for headers anymore :hill:

DaveInDenver
04-25-2012, 03:59 PM
I won't tell anyone about the lead solder joints.
Which is why anything /beer/ grade is silver soldered. :-) Not that it changes the plumbing in your house and potential lead exposure.

Inukshuk
04-25-2012, 09:20 PM
"a life without beer is worse than brain damage and kidney failure from aluminum toxicity.

:bowdown:

Corbet
04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
We might have to make cold beer the old fashioned way.... ice. Wonder what the water temp will be in the lake? This is definitely the trade off of large containers. I sampled mine tonight by the way. Needs another day on the high pressure CO2 to get carbonated.

nakman
04-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Lake temp is likely 50-55 F. is it a porter? :drink:

Corbet
04-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Lake temp is likely 50-55 F. is it a porter? :drink:

Did not have time to brew a Porter. Mine is more like a nut brown ale.

rover67
04-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Alright Corbet.. the beer cooler was not a great success......

It doesn't really get the beer cold. Needs a redesign.

Lets bail on homebrew for Moab and just go with packaged beer.

Corbet
04-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Alright Corbet.. the beer cooler was not a great success......

It doesn't really get the beer cold. Needs a redesign.

Lets bail on homebrew for Moab and just go with packaged beer.

My homebrew is coming along. I'll serve it vendor night if I have too.

subzali
04-26-2012, 09:34 AM
Isn't BPA the stuff that they've removed from plastic water bottles now?

From Mythbusters: water+ice+salt = cold beer. :thumb:

rover67
04-26-2012, 09:54 AM
My homebrew is coming along. I'll serve it vendor night if I have too.

right on :)

nakman
04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Yeah speaking of vendor night, I am planning on having samples from a new local craft brewery on hand.. ;)

wesintl
04-26-2012, 10:49 AM
What about just coiling copper tube around the inside kinda like a wort chiller?

RockRunner
04-26-2012, 10:36 PM
When you chilled the plate was the cooler empty? Or did the beer just flow to fast for it to cool? I would add a as much line as you could to the plate in the cooler and keep the cooler as full as possible. That way you have more contact area and the cooler can chill easier since it has less area to cool.