PDA

View Full Version : Blanca 2012

Inukshuk
04-18-2012, 10:18 PM
[Edited 8/1]

Confirming August 24, 25 & 26, 2012 for a Blanca Run this summer where Kevin went last year. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16286&highlight=blanca

Plan is to haul in some mountain climber friends who will climb Blanca, Little Bear and Ellingwood from Lake Como. So ideally some extra seats so I don't carry them all. I'll hike Ellingwood because its easier. This will be a three day trip.

Schedule:
Thursday after work drive to start of dirt and camp nearby in the trees.
8:00 AM Friday drive up to Lake Como. 3-4 hours if no traffic and good progress on obstacles. Good Dinner. Sleep early.
Saturday, early AM, climb Ellingwood and Blanca. Fish and hike around lake. Relax. Good dinner.
Sunday: Some may do an alpine assault on Little Bear. Others may just head out. We will determine this Saturday afternoon.

Pre-trip Meet / Happy Hour
Date: TBD but how is 8/15?

Climbing info:
1) Blanca and Ellingwood can be climbed together in about 6 miles. Together they are Class 3 so tougher and more exposure then what you and I have done together. You will need to wear a helmet. But we can do Ellingwood first so maybe that is all you do as it is Class 2. Decision to be made later.
2) Little Bear is the tough one in the group. It's 4 miles and Class 4.
http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=elli3&peak=Blanca+and+Ellingwood
http://www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=como0&peak=Little+Bear+Peak Camping at Lake Como @ 11,470'.

Confirmed Vehicles (passenger seat availability):
me (+3)
pmmcumber - Paul McCumber (+___)
JadeRunner - Scott Yoder (+___)
Fishy - Stan (+___)

Interested:
Nstimac -
Corbet - Corbet Hoover
Hulk - Matt Farr
Kpudden -
Jacket - Matt Ralston
Old40Dog - Dave Kaiser

Confirmed Passengers
Sharon Kratze - hike leader (Sharon & Kelly will drive to trailhead so only need rides up Blanca Road. also able to hike out Sunday if they stay late for Little Bear)
Kelly Henderson - hike co-lead (Sharon & Kelly will drive to trailhead so only need rides up Blanca Road. also able to hike out Sunday if they stay late for Little Bear)
Jeanette Smith - hiker (will drive to trailhead from Colorado Springs)
Cecilia Crawford
Sasha Underwood + 15 year old son and friend (would ride from Denver)

my two dogs

GPS data below

subzali
04-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Why not go earlier, as soon as the road opens? Ellingwood's Hourglass Couloir will be more stable and safer to climb due to the snow cover vs. having rocks falling on you later in the season...

pmccumber
04-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I'll go whenever this trip is. And I'm in for whatever hike is on the books.

Hulk
04-19-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm interested. It's been a few years since I bagged some peaks.

Inukshuk
04-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Why not go earlier, as soon as the road opens? Ellingwood's Hourglass Couloir will be more stable and safer to climb due to the snow cover vs. having rocks falling on you later in the season...

Forwarded to my friend Sharon to see.

I'll go whenever this trip is. And I'm in for whatever hike is on the books.

Cool.

I'm interested. It's been a few years since I bagged some peaks.

Yeah!

Uncle Ben
04-20-2012, 07:25 AM
I will be going again and I'm sure I wont be alone just not sure on the time frame yet.

Inukshuk
04-20-2012, 07:43 AM
I will be going again and I'm sure I wont be alone just not sure on the time frame yet.

How far out do you think you can tentatively plan? This is your trip!

JadeRunner
04-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks for trying to get this organized. I have been wanting to do the Blanca run, fish then the Little Bear to Blanca ridge for quite a while now. An epic weekend for sure. I will certainly try to fit it in this year. I know Marco and I have talked about doing that for years.

Uncle Ben
04-20-2012, 09:13 AM
How far out do you think you can tentatively plan? This is your trip!

We are taking a long whole family trip to Africa in June. That messes with my whole summer and planning as there will be lawyers and red stamp engineers upset that I'm not spending my money on them! The line below I had to share....you would think I had an Iphone....this is the first time my Droid messed up a voice recognition badly......funny stuff......

We are taking a kite oblongs family trip to africa in gym socks it's messing with scheduling of my whole summer

corsair23
04-20-2012, 11:55 AM
We are taking a kite oblongs family trip to africa in gym socks it's messing with scheduling of my whole summer

:lmao:

Jacket
04-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Interested. Never been up there.

Nstimac
04-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Sounds fun I'd go.

Inukshuk
04-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Sweet to see interest build.

Given the light snow year and my own nutty schedule I'm inclined to look towards those August dates rather than June. It may/will be hot down low but the camp is pretty high and late August should have us past monsoon too.

Inukshuk
04-21-2012, 02:44 PM
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=10803&parmpeak=Little+Bear+Peak&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Go all the way to the end.

Inukshuk
04-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Liking the idea of August 24-26, maybe head down the 23rd after work, getting some highway miles done in the dark.

Kevin's trip report from last year at: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=16286&highlight=blanca

To make this work for my climber friends I could use some help hauling passengers. Two so far, maybe 4.

Corbet
05-11-2012, 08:56 AM
interested

FJBRADY
05-11-2012, 10:45 AM
In

No hiking for me just fishin and :drink:

Old40Dog
05-13-2012, 10:32 AM
In

No hiking for me just fishin and :drink:

I'm with Steve :D ! All depends on the dates...

Inukshuk
05-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm with Steve :D ! All depends on the dates...

Hope you can! 8/24 -26 so its back to back with Ouray, which is fine. There are plenty of people who won't go to Ouray and maybe some who will do both.

8/24 -26, unless there is strong objection or no response. I'm need to have people willing to supply a couple extra seats to ferry some hikers up with us. I was inspired for this trip by both Uncle Ben and my friend Sharon.

1st post edited.

Fishy
05-13-2012, 05:10 PM

I think you meant the Hourglass on Little Bear, correct? I've put that climb off just because of that section. A slip there (very possible cause it's always wet and/or loose) would most likely prove fatal.

I'm most likely in for the Ellingwood-Blanca Traverse. Little Bear is just too risky for me. I'd be just as happy to fish though.

Some of our 14ers have great 4wd trails getting to the trailheads. I'm always up for wheeling to the TH then climbing another 14er.:thumb:

Inukshuk
06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Dates are firm. Who do we have.

My climbing friends know and agree that certain aspects of these particular 14ners are serious technical climbing for experienced climbers with helmets and ropes. At least one is just a good hike. No hiking required at all.

Inukshuk
07-02-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm bummed its the rally weekend as I really like the rally, but I have committed so I hope we still rally (pun intended) a good crew. Who is in?

PhatFJ
07-03-2012, 06:32 AM
I'm a solid maybe as well :thumb:

kpudden
07-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I would be very interested as well...gotta get some revenge with Blanca, she (acutally Jaws 2.5) chewed off a flare and mud-flap from my crappy wheel placement. Great destination, i got a cabin over on La Veta pass so it won't be big deal for me. Below is my 80 playing on Jaws from a few years back...it will definitely keep your attention towards the top.

PhatFJ
07-07-2012, 08:56 AM
I would be very interested as well...gotta get some revenge with Blanca, she (acutally Jaws 2.5) chewed off a flare and mud-flap from my crappy wheel placement. Great destination, i got a cabin over on La Veta pass so it won't be big deal for me. Below is my 80 playing on Jaws from a few years back...it will definitely keep your attention towards the top.

Very :cool:, we have property down in near Coke Dale. I LOVE highway-12 (the highway of legends) and the entire Wahatoya area..
Blanca should be a great time... :thumb:

kpudden
07-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Very :cool:, we have property down in near Coke Dale. I LOVE highway-12 (the highway of legends) and the entire Wahatoya area..
Blanca should be a great time... :thumb:

Never been down highway-12...sounds like time to do some exploring. :thumb:

JadeRunner
07-11-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm planing on going. I climbed Little Bear to Blanca in the early 90's as my 1st 14r. No helmet or ropes. I will have a helmet this year for going up Little Bear. But, I hope there will be someone else wanting to climb Little Bear then Blanca with me without ropes so we can keep moving. Granted you can't be afraid of heights and exposure. You have less control and more risk driving a rig on 33's over the Jaws obstacles IMO. Personally, I'm not sure I can make all the obstacles without a winch. Especially since those aren't the type of obstacles you can just go for it on. I image coming down them will be even scarier.

Inukshuk
07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm planing on going. I climbed Little Bear to Blanca in the early 90's as my 1st 14r. No helmet or ropes. I will have a helmet this year for going up Little Bear. But, I hope there will be someone else wanting to climb Little Bear then Blanca with me without ropes so we can keep moving. Granted you can't be afraid of heights and exposure. You have less control and more risk driving a rig on 33's over the Jaws obstacles IMO. Personally, I'm not sure I can make all the obstacles without a winch. Especially since those aren't the type of obstacles you can just go for it on. I image coming down them will be even scarier.

Great on this and all replies. Scott - I will e-mail you and put you directly in touch with my friend Sharon who is climb coordinator.

Inukshuk
07-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Getting closer. I'll update post 1 and review when we should hit the road.
UB - sorry you won't make it - you were the inspiration!

pmccumber
07-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm still planning on going. I'd like to do one of the 14ers. Don't really care which. Need one of em though. Should be cool.

Inukshuk
07-30-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm still planning on going. I'd like to do one of the 14ers. Don't really care which. Need one of em though. Should be cool.

Sweet. Now that my big bike ride is passed, I am refocusing to this.

Blanca and Ellingwood for Saturday. Difficult Class 2. Little Bear for the brave Sunday. Not me. Its Class 4.

I think the plan will be to camp Thursday night at the bottom of the road and tackle it Friday AM. Climb Saturday. Leave Sunday.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/adventures/2004/colorado_trails/

Got some GPS data. Attached. Seems we can camp not too far in off the pavement.

Inukshuk
07-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Post 1 updated. Please check your status. :)

Please PM me your full name, phone #, rig (type and general mods), extra people or gear you could haul in, and your experience level.

This is a 33" tires and locker minimum trail. Lets also get a winch count.

Example: Daniel Markofsky, (303) _____ - _______. I have a 1993 FZJ80 with 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers, factory lockers, no winch. Good roof rack, sliders, 3 passenger seats, experienced with 15 years wheeling & Moab trail leading.

JadeRunner
08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm thinking 35's or bigger and being well built (lockers, armor and winch) and you would be in the comfort zone.

With my 33's, even being well built, I 'm thinking I'm going to get hung up in a dangerous position. Requiring a controlled winch to get over safely. In which case on the way down. sliding down over the obstacles will be the tricky part. But, that's just my opinion. I haven't driven it before. Just walked it years ago on a climbing trip.

FJBRADY
08-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm thinking 35's or bigger and being well built (lockers, armor and winch) and you would be in the comfort zone.

With my 33's, even being well built, I 'm thinking I'm going to get hung up in a dangerous position. Requiring a controlled winch to get over safely. In which case on the way down. sliding down over the obstacles will be the tricky part. But, that's just my opinion. I haven't driven it before. Just walked it years ago on a climbing trip.

I thought everything is easy peasy after Escalator:D

Fishy
08-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I sent Dan a message this morning. I don't think me or my rig are ready/prepared for such a tough trail. I've done as much research as I could.

33's, lifted, ATRAC, center diff lock, sliders, bumper. Winch shoud be on by then but full skids might not be. This is probably above my level and I don't want to be the one who holds everyone else up because I'm not prepared. I'm better off waiting til next year.

Parking down low and hiking up the road to Lake Como might not be out of the question though.

Uncle Ben
08-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Blanca really isn't that bad especially since they made Jaws 2 less dangerous! With a good group and good spotters 33's are perfect minimum size tires! I can't say who will have problems but if you're the guy who has that iffy thing on your truck that has been iffy or was "jury rigged" a while back you will most likely be the guy who will cause the most frustration on the trail! If you keep your stuff maintained and are patient and willing to listen to your spotters you will have very little problem. Jaws 1 and 2.5 will test your traction/lockers.....the rest of the trail will test your attitude! Many near stock vehicles do this trail often! Other side of the coin is I have seen very well built trucks struggle or break on this trail too! It is a drivers trail!

JadeRunner
08-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the input UB. We tend to listen to you for some reason. :)

Uncle Ben
08-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Suckers!:p::lmao:

Rzeppa
08-01-2012, 05:39 PM
UB's advice sounds almost exactly like what Rob Merideth used to tell me about trails I wasn't sure I could make (Spring Creek, most of Moab, etc.). I wonder if he secretly thought "suckers" :p::lmao:

Inukshuk
08-01-2012, 11:56 PM
UB's advice sounds almost exactly like what Rob Merideth used to tell me about trails I wasn't sure I could make (Spring Creek, most of Moab, etc.). I wonder if he secretly thought "suckers" :p::lmao:

:eek:

:bowdown:

TIMZTOY
08-03-2012, 07:48 AM
I'm going to try and make It
Wife and I

Uncle Ben
08-03-2012, 07:51 AM

I do miss Rob!

Inukshuk
08-03-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm going to try and make It
Wife and I

:thumb: What rig? Any spare seats?

I do miss Rob!

:thumb:

PhatFJ
08-11-2012, 06:32 AM
I am going to have to bail on this one as work and a Powell trip are getting in the way. Too much to do and too little time to do it.. Have a GREAT trip and be safe... :thumb:

Inukshuk
08-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Cool vid at http://www.musicrang.com/video/All/video/BnKRS9N80bw.html
writeup at http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=112

Inukshuk
08-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Last Call. Doing final planning. All are welcome!

Uncle Ben
08-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Cool vid at http://www.musicrang.com/video/All/video/BnKRS9N80bw.html
writeup at http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=112

That is not a good vid to see lines from. The white runner with tube doors was the only one of that group picking clean lines. Jaws 1 needs to be taken in a slight angle on an 80 or you will turtle. Simply let the lockers do their job and let the drivers side front climb first which will unload the drivers side rear then when you hit the break over point let the now in the air drivers side front drop down smoothly, teeter tottering the passenger side rear up in the air. Very easy maneuver, drive through it nice and slow without stopping and your pictures will entertain many. Trying to take the rock on straight like the guys in the vid with much shorter base vehicles than an 80 is will leave you floundering on your skid plate. Jaws 2...don't freak like the drivers on the vid did! Just scrub your uphill side tires on the rocks and you will clean it easily without getting too tippy to the cliff edge. The white runner takes a perfect line there on 2 and 2.5! Your vehicles will eat this trail up with ease so be calm and look like superstars! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::robbie::kevin: :thumb:

Uncle Ben
08-23-2012, 12:39 AM
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?198492-Blanca-Peak&p=2037064&viewfull=1#post2037064

Inukshuk
08-23-2012, 12:00 PM
A terrible weather forecast scared off all the hikers and then Scott and I also reevaluated running the road with heavy rain and snow in the forecast. Flattops here we come!

Uncle Ben
08-23-2012, 12:19 PM
A terrible weather forecast scared off all the hikers and then Scott and I also reevaluated running the road with heavy rain and snow in the forecast. Flattops here we come!

I am so disappointed! Snow, rain, hail, tornados, ........sounds like perfect wheelin' weather to me!

AxleIke
08-23-2012, 01:13 PM
http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?198492-Blanca-Peak&p=2037064&viewfull=1#post2037064

I am so disappointed! Snow, rain, hail, tornados, ........sounds like perfect wheelin' weather to me!

They made a good choice. It is wise to avoid being on the trail ANY time Colorado4x4 is on the trail as well. Especially on a trail with a shelf road. That is a dangerous crowd.

JadeRunner
08-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Yea, I'm bummed. But, I think it would be a lot more fun without the rain. So we will be extra stoked for the next attempt.

wesintl
08-23-2012, 01:42 PM
you guys are bailing on a 30-50 chance of tstorm?

Uncle Ben
08-23-2012, 02:19 PM
you guys are bailing on a 30-50 chance of tstorm?

I would expect fair weather wheeling from hundys and runners but an 80?

JadeRunner
08-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Daniel and I got back from the Flat tops last night. Casual trip of light hiking and fishing. Pretty uneventful and muddy. We did bump into some Book Cliff Cruisers guys. Ace, Eric and a few others. So that was cool.

Talked to Marco and Allison and the way back on I70. They were heading west enjoying a week in the mountains before their wedding. BTW - traffic was running smoothly into Denver at 5-6pm.