PDA

View Full Version : Official Ouray Trip Info.

Bruce Miller
07-19-2006, 12:20 PM
We are planning a wheeling trip to Ouray, Sept. 1st to the 4th.

Itinerary is pretty much the same as we've done in year's past. Day one, Saturday, is Black Bear into Telluride for lunch then back to Ouray over Imogene Pass. Day two could be Poughkeepsie Gulch, Engineer Pass, Corkscrew Gulch, and California Gulch. Other passes we've done are Ophir Pass and Cinnamon Pass into Lake City for lunch.

We are camping at the 4J's+1+1 Campground in Ouray. They can be reached at 970-325-4418. or go to www.coloradodirectory.com/4j11rvpark. 4J's is close to the hot springs pool in Ouray.

Paul and Heather May from the Wasatch Club will be joining us on this run and we look forward to having lots of fun.

Wheeling in the Ouray area of the San Juan's isn't hard core. A capable driver with a stock rig in good operating condition will be able to do all the trails mentioned here. This area is very scenic and full of history. The museum in Ouray is top shelf. Plan on soaking in the hot springs pool following our trip over Imogene Pass.

Please post if you plan on joining us so we can keep an eye out for you in Ouray.

bh4rnnr
07-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks Bruce, was waiting to here from the planners before I gave my vacation time. Am planning on going out for a week. Yes, I WILL be there this year, in the runner:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Looking forward to it. Anygood suggestions for a good base camp before the crowd shows?

Three Wheel Ben
07-20-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm planning on getting there 8-30 in the evening sometime and heading home monday. We will most likely stay in the Ampitheater campground (reserveamerica.com) just south of town.

11thcavdrt
07-23-2006, 02:08 AM
Hi bruce,iam doug tebbe,fairly new dude still,voted in at july mtg.,anyway
yes we plan on coming down if my wife can get the sept. 1st off,she is a
teacher for denver schools,ill let her know,but they dont go back until aug.
23 or 25th! also should we make reservations now for the camp ground
you have listed in your thread? any all info will be appreciated,thxs.

Doug Tebbe/Tacoma 96, 4inch lift,arb rear locker,headers,gibson exhaust
k/n FPIK klt,32x11.50x15 pro comp mud terrians,sliders

Groucho
07-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Wes, Can you make this a sticky?

Bruce Miller
07-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Hey, Doug, sounds good that you and your wife might be able to join us in Ouray. You may want to call the 4J's RV campground and make reservations. You can always cancel if you have to. We haven't stayed at the 4J's ourselves, but chose them because of the skunk problem at the KOA in Ouray. I hope the 4J's works out for us.

There are many RV campgrounds north of Ouray, between Ouray and Montrose, but then you're driving further to meet the group in Ouray. I've heard a lot of good things about the Forest Service campground on the south side of Ouray, Ampitheatre Campground, but they were always booked when I tried to get a spot. The 4J's is very close to the hot springs pool and we thought that was kind of neat since the pool is a great place to end the day.

We look forward to seeing you in Ouray. We'll name a meeting place in a future post to this forum.

Three Wheel Ben
07-24-2006, 05:06 PM
I checked this morning and if anybody wants to there are still 9 sites at the amphitheater campground. We stayed there last summer and it is a very nice campground. Sites 4-13 are the best for tents. It is about 1-2 miles south of Ouray.

ben

Hulk
07-24-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm possibly in for this run. My wife is checking to see if we can "visit" her family in Cedaredge over Labor Day weekend. Then maybe I'll get my father-in-law to ride shotgun with me. If he goes, we'll probably stay in a hotel. I don't think he's done any camping since 'Nam.

wesintl
07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
I had a chat with the wife. If I get the baby room done before hand i'm in for both Ouray and Triple bypass.:bowdown:

I have alot of work between now and the rally. Hopefully I can get my cases back in the 40 one day too :eek:

Bruce Miller
07-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Hey, Wes, if you do the Ouray or the TPB trips in your BJ, I'll drive my diesel, too. Whatta you say?

lx450landcrusier
07-25-2006, 09:06 PM
hello all, my name is Mike and ive seen several of you on the board. I would like to ask if it would be alright if I join you for this trip as i am currently living in telluride working for the summer. I would also like to extend an invitation to stay at out hay farm in norwood if any one decides to go that far. nor wood is about 35-40 min out side of telluride heading towards moab. theres not much there but theres 250 acres of land backed up to BLM land to camp on. Any ways i look forward to at least wheeling with you if not camping.

mike

Bruce Miller
07-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Mike, you are welcome to join us. I will be posting our meeting place and time soon. Keep an eye out for that. What are you driving, how is your truck setup, have you wheeled any of the trails around Ouray and if so, which ones? We look forward to meeting you.

wesintl
07-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Hey, Wes, if you do the Ouray or the TPB trips in your BJ, I'll drive my diesel, too. Whatta you say?

If i'm running short i'm time I'll call you to help me paint the baby room :p: :Princess: :lmao:

Sounds good. I have 2 weeks. I'm confident that will be enough time. :blah:

lx450landcrusier
07-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Mike, you are welcome to join us. I will be posting our meeting place and time soon. Keep an eye out for that. What are you driving, how is your truck setup, have you wheeled any of the trails around Ouray and if so, which ones? We look forward to meeting you.

My truck is a 96 lx450 same color as Romers, its lifted 2.5 with a front spacer as well, has a arb on the front and a home made bumper in the rear, 33 BFG all terrains, no lockers, no sliders.

I have run several of the trails your looking at doing as i am working for the san miguel county this summer and have done ALOT of work on all the roads and passes. Im sure you dont know this, as not many do not yet, but after last night black bear is closed again. there was a mud slide in early fall and it took us a good 3 weeks to clear it and open it, however after last night hard rain it has washed out again, i may be up there tomarrow so ill know how long it should take us to open it again (not sure if it will be a priority since its so tie consuming) Like i have said i have done many of the runs your looking at doing but it would be great to meet up with you guys , camp and wheel.

cheers
mike

Bruce Miller
07-27-2006, 07:38 AM
That's not good news about Black Bear. That pass is a major attraction to the Ouray trip. Please keep us posted as to the condition of the pass. It sounds like we take it one day at a time. Which month or time of year do the monsoons hit the Ouray/Red Mountain Pass area? Could the guys working for the county give you an indication if they think the road conditions will get worse or better as the summer wears on? Is Black Bear the only pass with concerns? Are there others? Keep us posted, please.

baileyfj40
07-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Hey Bruce;

Poughkeeosie gulch if wet! We don't need another Chessman repeat, right Bruce?

Looking forword to the weekend!

Mike Koons
77 fj40 lifted locked ready
89 fj62 lifted locked ready
99 f350 new clutch credit card smoking

lx450landcrusier
07-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Hey Bruce;

Poughkeeosie gulch if wet! We don't need another Chessman repeat, right Bruce?

Looking forword to the weekend!

Mike Koons
77 fj40 lifted locked ready
89 fj62 lifted locked ready
99 f350 new clutch credit card smoking

Ok black bear wasnt as bad as it was earlier this year, it will be open tomarrow in time for the rotory clubs jeep thing, apperently you can get a permit from the forset service to run black bear backwards (up) whic h i thought was pretty cool. As far as road conditions ill have to ask since im fairly new to the area. However the only realy worry would be black bear as far as i can see. black bear is a very unstable road not like the others which are much wider and have had more work done to them. Ill be sure to keep you updated and i look forward to meeting you all.

mike

lx450landcrusier
07-31-2006, 06:48 PM
Well as per request im here ta update you on black bear again. after heavy rains this afternoon black bear and tomboy are closed. several people are stranded inbetween mid slides on both passes. about 15 people on tom boy and at least 2 on black bear. this slide is much worse then the most recent one and will be closed for a matter of days at the least. ill keep you updated as i will likely be up there tomarrow.

mike

cruiseroutfit
08-01-2006, 07:05 PM
If theres still room I'd like to possibly join you guys! I'm still trying to hammer out my schedule (Ouray sounds better than a family reunion ;)), so I'm not 100% for sure yet.... crossing my fingers :cool:

cruiseroutfit
08-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Well as per request im here ta update you on black bear again. after heavy rains this afternoon black bear and tomboy are closed. several people are stranded inbetween mid slides on both passes. about 15 people on tom boy and at least 2 on black bear. this slide is much worse then the most recent one and will be closed for a matter of days at the least. ill keep you updated as i will likely be up there tomarrow.

mike

Wow, this a usual occurance in the San Jauns?

Bruce Miller
08-02-2006, 10:14 AM
This is unusual, and the first time we've had this issue in the 8 years we've been leading the Ouray trip.

cruiseroutfit
08-02-2006, 11:50 AM
This is unusual, and the first time we've had this issue in the 8 years we've been leading the Ouray trip.

Interesting. Hopefully it will be cleared and stable come Labor Day :cool:

Nay
08-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Wow, this a usual occurance in the San Jauns?

Yes, it is during heavy moonsoon seasons. I was in the San Juans for a week long trip in 1998 and we ended up blocked for four hours by a 10-15 foot deep major major slide on 550 coming down from Silverton in Ouray (the other side of the slide plunged off a cliff :eek: ).

My group stopped to help a family in a sedan with a totally wrecked tire in the pouring rain, and it turns out they had hit one of the first rocks.

Poughkeepsie Gulch is great fun when it's really wet, too, because the rocks on the main obstacle get muddy and the "bypass" is a huge mud slide. Of course, all of this is contingent on it raining while the trip is actually occurring. Things should be better in a few weeks than they are now.

Nay

lx450landcrusier
08-02-2006, 09:13 PM
ok both passes are open today got them finished up although will still be clearing off some left over debris. they will remain open pending weather. this is a uasual occurance here although this year has seemed to be a bit wetter. its not so much the rain thats the problem its the hard down pours that cause the slides.

heres a few pics from earlier this summer last pic is of a 4 food deep crater left from that larger rocks hitting the road below. if only i could show you the videos of the bolders the size of cars going off the top.

mike

MDH33
08-03-2006, 08:34 AM
WoW! :eek:

That looks like it would be an exciting job Mike. Very cool.

I did some reading on these trails recently since I haven't been down there to try them yet. Sounds like some (including Black Bear) can be pretty hairy for stock vehicles. Is this the case?

Nay
08-03-2006, 10:17 AM
WoW! :eek:

That looks like it would be an exciting job Mike. Very cool.

I did some reading on these trails recently since I haven't been down there to try them yet. Sounds like some (including Black Bear) can be pretty hairy for stock vehicles. Is this the case?

It's not a stock thing. If you can put a bulldozer on the trail, then a stock 4x4 isn't the problem. On Black Bear, you are talking about tight 3 point (or more) hairpin turns over a dropoff long enough to let you think about it on the way down.

The issue is tolerance to pucker factor, and quite frankly a large and highly modified vehicle with a high center of gravity would be less desirable than a smaller near stock rig with a low center of gravity.

I haven't and won't run Black Bear because I hate those kind of ledge roads and there is no amount of wheeling experience that has changed this. I just don't care to pull up to the lip of 2,000 ft down relying purely on my brakes in order to then back up to get pointed in the right direction.

The day a group runs Black Bear is a great day for hot springs and a scenic trip up Tomboy :cheers:

Nay

MDH33
08-03-2006, 10:39 AM
The day a group runs Black Bear is a great day for hot springs and a scenic trip up Tomboy :cheers:

Nay

:D That sounds like a good plan. Looks like there are a lot more "scenic" trails that would be fun in the area vs the "pucker-factor" trails that have been closed and damaged recently. Not sure I can make this run the same week that I'm planning on the doing the TBP run, but this is all great info for future trips. :cheers:

bh4rnnr
08-03-2006, 09:18 PM
ok both passes are open today got them finished up although will still be clearing off some left over debris. they will remain open pending weather. this is a uasual occurance here although this year has seemed to be a bit wetter. its not so much the rain thats the problem its the hard down pours that cause the slides.

heres a few pics from earlier this summer last pic is of a 4 food deep crater left from that larger rocks hitting the road below. if only i could show you the videos of the bolders the size of cars going off the top.

mike

So where do I sign up:D Looks like an interesting job:cool: . Thanks for all the updates. Look forward to meeting ya over a few :beer: :beer: :beer: . Looking forward to this trip. Might have a friend along with me this trip.

lx450landcrusier
08-04-2006, 09:53 PM
i wouldnt call black bear an easy trail for stock trucks. it is for the majorty of the run however at the top of the waterfall the "stair steps" have been getting worse each year from rain washing them clean, i was up there earlier this summer with a jack hammer trying to flaten them out for the dozer which comes down over them (you want a pucker factor take a bull dozer over that, nothing but a long slid as the tracks are metal and cant hold on that steep of an incline. dont get me wrong its not something a stock truck cant do, ive seen plenty do it you just have to watch your tire placement. It has some of the most amazing views youll see but in reality when they say its a jeep trail it really is, very very tight turns over drop offs as stated.

heres a few more pics.
and the last 2 are from ealier this year up tomboy a few days after clearing the snow away

11thcavdrt
08-07-2006, 10:55 PM
______________________________________________________________H
Hi Bruce,whats new with any updated trail info,seems we keep geeting
alot of rain recently,need but puts a compromise on other things.Anyway
my wife found out today she will be able to get the 1st off.since ive never
made a long trip like this with you guys,whats the plan,do just meet some
where in Ouray? or do people meet here and go as a group? looking foward
to it! thxs.

Bruce Miller
08-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Doug, the "official" schedule is to drive to Ouray on Friday, wheel on Saturday and Sunday, and drive back home on Monday, Labor Day. Our meeting time and place Saturday and Sunday will be 8:00 AM at the Ouray Hot Springs Pool parking lot.

I plan on leaving Longmont on Friday morning, September 1st, probably driving highway 285 to Buena Vista, over Cottonwood Pass to Almont, then highway 135 to Gunnison, then highway 50 to Montrose, then highway 550 into Ouray. What's your trip plans and route?

11thcavdrt
08-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Doug, the "official" schedule is to drive to Ouray on Friday, wheel on Saturday and Sunday, and drive back home on Monday, Labor Day. Our meeting time and place Saturday and Sunday will be 8:00 AM at the Ouray Hot Springs Pool parking lot.

I plan on leaving Longmont on Friday morning, September 1st, probably driving highway 285 to Buena Vista, over Cottonwood Pass to Almont, then highway 135 to Gunnison, then highway 50 to Montrose, then highway 550 into Ouray. What's your trip plans and route?

Bruce:

hi ,thxs for the update, as far as i know we are leaving friday morning also,
taking the same route, we have been that once before 2 yrs ago its a nice
drive,long but nice! we are staying in a hotel/motel, all the spaces at the
campground you had suggested were full, called the rivers edge,guess its
real close to the campground though! so unless something changes btw.
now and then,guess we'll see you down there!!!!!! are you staying at the
campgrounds? if so maybe we could get togther fri. evening for dinner or
something!

doug tebbe
96 tacoma:thumb:

lx450landcrusier
08-10-2006, 06:21 PM
i will be camping as well but i dont think ill be able to camp at the camp ground you are as mentioned above its full and it seemd kinda costly? I think the girl friend and i will head out to ouray on fri int he morning (an hour away for us :D ) and scout for a good camp sight close by, others are welcom to camp near us if we do find a good place.

mike

Three Wheel Ben
08-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Still 7 sites at the ampitheater campground if anyone is interested.

ben

lx450landcrusier
08-11-2006, 11:21 AM
do you have the info for that camp site or was it posted above?

mike

Three Wheel Ben
08-11-2006, 12:24 PM
do you have the info for that camp site or was it posted above?

mike

You can make reservations on reserveamerica.com I think it is a forest service campground. Pretty nice. About a mile or so south of town. Straight up the hill to the east from box canyon. We stayed there last year.

lx450landcrusier
08-11-2006, 05:59 PM
what camp site did you reserve? ill try and get a site close by.

mike

Three Wheel Ben
08-11-2006, 07:55 PM
what camp site did you reserve? ill try and get a site close by.

mike

We are staying in #12, looks like 5, 6, 18, & 22 are still available. We stayed in 7 last year and remember 5 & 6 being pretty nice. I would go for 6 personally, just down the road from us. Better hurry looks like they are going fast.

ben

Bruce Miller
08-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Here's the list of who I think is going on the Ouray trip. Let me know if my information is incorrect. The names are: bh4rnnr, lexusben, 11thcavdrt, hulk, wes, baileyfj40, lx450landcruiser, and cruiseroutfit.

I'd like to know who I'm looking for at the meeting place.

Hulk
08-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I think I'm out. :(

My inlaws are in Denver for the Willie Nelson concert. So my wife and kids don't have a place to stay while I go wheelin'.

sno bored
08-16-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm in. I reserved site #6 at the ampitheatre campground for Friday-Sunday. It's just me and my tent, so if anyone needs a place to camp let me know.

Three Wheel Ben
08-16-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm still in, unless the baby comes early (better not). We will be at ampitheater wed night (30th) until Monday. I'd offer space but my dad and brother are coming. Dad is bringing the exchange student from Thailand. Can't wait to see his face on Black bear :eek: :bowdown:

ben

lx450landcrusier
08-16-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm in. I reserved site #6 at the ampitheatre campground for Friday-Sunday. It's just me and my tent, so if anyone needs a place to camp let me know.

are you allowed to have more people in your spot?
we were going to book there but i couldnt make myself pay $60 for camping when everything around here is open to camping although it would be nice to camp with a cruiser head.

mike

Three Wheel Ben
08-16-2006, 10:12 PM
are you allowed to have more people in your spot?
we were going to book there but i couldnt make myself pay $60 for camping when everything around here is open to camping although it would be nice to camp with a cruiser head.

mike

May be speaking out of turn but you're allowed two cars per camp, up to Kevin (he might be persuaded:beer: :beer: ) I'd offer but I'm going to be full with 3 cars.

sno bored
08-17-2006, 09:30 AM
You are allowed two vehicles per site, at Camp Hale we were able to pay for extra vehicles. It says 8 people per site, so I don't think it would be a problem to have you stay there Mike. Ben let me stay at his campsite, so I should pass the favor on. Kevin

farnhamstj
08-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Hey Sno Bored if you still have space we (my son and I) would like to take you up on it and pay for 1/2.

Three Wheel Ben
08-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Bruce, I'm curious if you know what trails we are planning on running on Sunday. I'm going to be down there Thurs and Fri and am trying to not duplicate trails if possible.

thanks, ben

sno bored
08-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Farnham, I offered lx450 a place to stay, and I told Perry he could stay. I don't know if either of them are going to take me up on the offer. I don't have a problem with you staying at my campsite, We had four trucks and eight people at Ben's site at Camp Hale and it wasn't a problem. I don't know what time I will get there on Friday, but if you are there before me it is site #6 and my last name is O'Reilly. Feel free to set up your stuff.

Three Wheel Ben
08-27-2006, 07:31 PM
Hey Sno Bored if you still have space we (my son and I) would like to take you up on it and pay for 1/2.

Farnam, I as well have extended a couple of offers, don't know who might take me up on them, if there is room you and mini are more than welcome.

ben

wesintl
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Does anyone have room me to crash their camp? Willing to $. I wasn't a 100% so I never booked a camp spot. It's no big deal if not. I'm actually wanting to camp somewhere past lake city friday night. So really maybe only sat. Anyone know of some good spots (primitave) off engineer or cinammon?

bh4rnnr
08-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Does anyone have room me to crash their camp? Willing to $. I wasn't a 100% so I never booked a camp spot. It's no big deal if not. I'm actually wanting to camp somewhere past lake city friday night. So really maybe only sat. Anyone know of some good spots (primitave) off engineer or cinammon?

I'll be camping off Lime creek road per John Ferguson. Sounds like he will try and make it down there with one or two other cruiser folk.

lx450landcrusier
08-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Farnham, I offered lx450 a place to stay, and I told Perry he could stay. I don't know if either of them are going to take me up on the offer. I don't have a problem with you staying at my campsite, We had four trucks and eight people at Ben's site at Camp Hale and it wasn't a problem. I don't know what time I will get there on Friday, but if you are there before me it is site #6 and my last name is O'Reilly. Feel free to set up your stuff.

I will most likly take you up on that offer. the girl friend and i will be sleeping in the roof top tent so we dont really need any tent space. just a parking space. will help pay for the night we stay of course.

thanks again
mike

wesintl
08-27-2006, 10:47 PM
I'll be camping off Lime creek road per John Ferguson. Sounds like he will try and make it down there with one or two other cruiser folk.

lime creek? that's further south on 550? That's to far for me.

I want to try and jet outta denver at noon or so and get somewhere past lake city to camp. Then drive over to ouray in the morning.

bh4rnnr
08-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Well, i'm outa here:cool: . Mail one bill before I leave. Stopping by Proffitts for a little while then find some place to camp tonight. Finish the day tomorrow. See you all down there:beer:

lx450landcrusier
08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
just an FYI for htose attending and plan on having lunch in telluride. this weekend in telluride is the film festival so the town will likly be packed. not to say dont eat lunch there but just a head up.

11thcavdrt
08-30-2006, 12:48 AM
bruce miller/turbo diesel power:

has anything changed as far the run to ouray this coming weekend? since
from the different threads that ive read, alot of us are staying at dfifferent
locations in and around ouray! is the central meeting location for sat. and sunday still at the hot springs parking lot at 800am? on friday night, are
there any plans for every one getting togther for a few beers or whatever?
looking forward the trip,are most of the trails open now or has all recent
rain caused some closures?

doug tebbe/11thcavdrt
96 tacoma

Groucho
08-30-2006, 06:15 AM
Myself and Mrs. Teasdale will be going on this weekend run. We'd be up for the group getting together any of the nights. Planning on heading out @ 7am on friday morning from Denver.

Previous Ouray runs, folks seem to gather 'round Bruce Miller's locale and have a few barley pops after dinner at night. Good way to shoot the bull, find out about the next days runs, etc.

lx450landcrusier
08-30-2006, 06:36 AM
all is good in terms of trails so unless we get a bad down pour were good to go. past few days it has cooled off quite a bit in the mornings and its cooler during the day. been nice and sunny though

Bruce Miller
08-30-2006, 12:17 PM
The Hot Springs Pool parking lot will be our meeting place at 8:00 AM. We'll depart the parking lot after we get an idea of who wants to go where, on which trail, and when. Best to wait till we get into Ouray to find out about the local conditions, roads, fire bans, etc. I'm not familiar with Ouray watering holes. Last time a bunch of us visited one of the bars there, the manager (owner?) wasn't accepting driver's licenses if the license paper was frayed or dirty so we returned to camp and drank a beer there. Let's shoot from the hip and see what Ouray feels like when we get into town.

We're leaving Longmont at 6:00 AM Friday, driving Highway 285 up to Buena Vista, picking up all interested caravan drivers on the way. Hope to be soaking in the pool as soon as is possible.

11thcavdrt
08-30-2006, 09:43 PM
The Hot Springs Pool parking lot will be our meeting place at 8:00 AM. We'll depart the parking lot after we get an idea of who wants to go where, on which trail, and when. Best to wait till we get into Ouray to find out about the local conditions, roads, fire bans, etc. I'm not familiar with Ouray watering holes. Last time a bunch of us visited one of the bars there, the manager (owner?) wasn't accepting driver's licenses if the license paper was frayed or dirty so we returned to camp and drank a beer there. Let's shoot from the hip and see what Ouray feels like when we get into town.

We're leaving Longmont at 6:00 AM Friday, driving Highway 285 up to Buena Vista, picking up all interested caravan drivers on the way. Hope to be soaking in the pool as soon as is possible.

Hi bruce,thxs for e-mailing back. sounds good as far as you had to say.
hopefully we are shooting for around 800am time to leave, who knows ,iam
not much of a morning person myself, maybe we run/meet up with u guys
on the way!!!
doug tebbe
96 tacoma

lx450landcrusier
09-04-2006, 06:53 PM
check trip report section for pics...