PDA

View Full Version : Plasti Dip on plastic bumpers

nakman
05-15-2012, 10:01 PM
I've run across other pictures and stories about doing this, enough that I was compelled to risk the $12. Seeing as a new steel bumper isn't in the immediate plans, with an already scratched up rear bumper I decided to give it a try. If I don't like it, can always peel it off- one of the advantages to Plasti Dip.

To paint it initially I removed the rear bumper completely, and took out the marker lights. I didn't take any pictures of this. wasn't that exciting honestly.

Fast forward 5 weeks and I'm in Moab, and I drag my bumper pretty good towards the end of the first part of the Wipe Out Hill descent. Yes I was reminded how the 80 didn't even touch there.. yes I'm driving a low rider now. :o

So I wind up with some trail scrapes that look like this:

nakman
05-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I trace an outline with a utility knife that I'll use for the tear mark. Then it's just a matter of peeling the offending area off, followed by a light sanding to remove some burrs around some new scrapes- those black scrapes are way worse now.. oops. :p: ndb, I'll cover them up

nakman
05-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Pictures below are immediately after I sprayed it, then 20 minutes later, and same time from 10' away. Yes there's a line, but once I get dusty again with some light pinstriping you'll never see the difference.

Overall I'm impressed with this product, I'd use it again and will keep the touch ups going until I finally go steel in back. :wrench: :beer: :hill:

SteveH
05-16-2012, 06:54 AM
Very nice job - I wouldn't have imagined it would work so nicely.

I glued a small rip in a vinyl bumper (on the inside of the bumper) with 'Shoe Goo' and it stuck like iron and worked really well.

Rzeppa
05-16-2012, 11:57 AM
I didn't know it was available in a spray can, that's pretty cool. I have always used the liquid stuff that you can dip tool handles into.

I use it when I build speakers for PA applications. Instead of time consuming and difficult contact adhesive and tolex, I mix plastidip with wall texturing and roll directly on. Tough stuff and a zillion times easier and quicker than the alternative.