PDA

View Full Version : Real time help... Ignition switch

Rezarf
05-16-2012, 08:14 AM
So my 40 is dead. I can turn the key and it is doing nothing, no click, no accessories, tried another key nothing.

I recently replaced (4 months ago) the starter and everything is still snug and secure, and my fusible link is good to go.

Would you say its safe to say the problem lives in the ignition switch itself? Thanks in advance-:thumb:

Drew

Inukshuk
05-16-2012, 08:24 AM
do headlights work?

AxleIke
05-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Sorry to hear this bud. Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm sure there are better ideas here, but I'd start with the really simple stuff first:

1. Check the battery has full charge. I'm guessing you already did this.
2. I don't remember if you have dome lights or anything in the 40 that will tell you that you have a good connection to the battery. I had my truck die once because a connection was loose, and it was exactly like that: just shut off, and there was nothing when I turned the key. I had to clean the terminals and reseat and retighten the clamps.
3. Lastly, I'd look at the ignition switch. I don't know how complicated they are on a 40, but is it possible to get it out and hook up a volt meter to the leads? If so, you can quickly test where you are getting continuity when you move the switch to the various positions. That should tell you if the switch is dead.

Oh, one other thing I just thought of: Do you have a kill switch wired in anywhere? If so, you should check to see that it hasn't malfunctioned or become a problem.

Hope you get it all figured out man!

Rezarf
05-16-2012, 08:30 AM
40 headlights work independantly from the ignition switch, but yes, they do come on ;) :D

Rezarf
05-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Sorry to hear this bud. Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm sure there are better ideas here, but I'd start with the really simple stuff first:

1. Check the battery has full charge. I'm guessing you already did this.
2. I don't remember if you have dome lights or anything in the 40 that will tell you that you have a good connection to the battery. I had my truck die once because a connection was loose, and it was exactly like that: just shut off, and there was nothing when I turned the key. I had to clean the terminals and reseat and retighten the clamps.
3. Lastly, I'd look at the ignition switch. I don't know how complicated they are on a 40, but is it possible to get it out and hook up a volt meter to the leads? If so, you can quickly test where you are getting continuity when you move the switch to the various positions. That should tell you if the switch is dead.

Oh, one other thing I just thought of: Do you have a kill switch wired in anywhere? If so, you should check to see that it hasn't malfunctioned or become a problem.

Hope you get it all figured out man!

Thanks Isaac, no salt needed I appreciate all the advice right now.

1. Yes, fully charged verified with voltmeter.
2. No dome lights ;)
3. Trying to figure out how to diagnose the switch. This is my next step, grabbing the manual next.
4. Nope no kill switch.. other than a battery quick disconnect which is operational.

Thanks!

Rezarf
05-16-2012, 08:33 AM
I guess I am wondering how to isolate if it is the electrical switch or the lock tumbler. I am assuming if I can turn the key freely without any binding that the issue is in the electrical, either the switch or the associated wiring?

Jacket
05-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Drew - I have a new ignition switch somewhere at home if you think that's the problem.

gr8fulabe
05-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Sounds simple, but have you cleaned up all ground connections? Ive had these same symptoms, and enough ground for stereo/headlights, so assumed I was good. But when I finally disconnected and cleaned all grounds, everything was fine.

Best
Abe

wesintl
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
you can unplug it and hot wire it or pop the plastic cover off the ignition switch itself and see if the nubs are making contact.

Rezarf
05-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys, Jacket, I just ordered one from Boulder Toyota, maybe I will take you up on it if you have it just sitting there to verify, I have some time today, the rest of the week... not so much ;)

Thanks Gr8fulabe, I do have good ground connections... I have had to trouble shoot enough electrical to make SURE those stay clean ;)

Wes, I was able to bypass the entire switch by hotwiring the starter directly from the battery, she fired right up so I think that the issue is in the switch.

Can you shed some light as to what I am trying to do when I pop the plastic cover off to check the contacts? I am assuming its a rotary style paddle switch? Any play by play you can give me to check the switch would be appreciated bud.

Back to the garage...

treerootCO
05-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Most ignition switches go out because you have too much weight on the keychain. Are you sporting one of those janitor/building maintenance key sets?

You already hot wired it and it started so the coil is getting 12volts. Try turning the key as slowly as possible to see if that works. Be careful not to over turn the key because it can go past the contacts. Good workaround until you tear it apart or replace it.

Rezarf
05-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks Mike-

I just tore it down. Its such a simple device, there is defiantly some wear on the contacts on both side of the switch. I can't tell if its enough to not allow them to connect, I cleaned up the contacts with a scotch-brite pad and a smear of dielectric grease. reassembled and nothing.

I am only getting like 6.xxx volts to the switch :confused:

RicardoJM
05-16-2012, 11:56 AM
I am only getting like 6.xxx volts to the switch :confused:

That does not seem right:D. Have you checked at the fuse box to see if 12 volts is making it that far? Might be time to clean the fuse holders and get them back to nice and shiny.

AHorseThief
05-16-2012, 08:21 PM
If the fuse block cleaning doesn't do it, it's time to check the wire back to the switch. I was having the same problem intermittently and the solution in my case was to replace the corroded wire section in the engine bay that feeds the ignition switch.

The fun of 40 year old, hacked into wiring :hill:

Rezarf
05-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks, my wiring is still stock, I am the 2nd owner. That is nice for this kind of stuff as all my manuals still line up with whats under the hood ;)

Rezarf
05-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Jacket saved the day, ignition switch replaced, she fired right up.

Jacket
05-17-2012, 09:55 PM
:thumb:

AHorseThief
05-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks, my wiring is still stock, I am the 2nd owner. That is nice for this kind of stuff as all my manuals still line up with whats under the hood ;)

Brag, brag, brag. :p:

Glad you got it fixed. Nothing more frustrating than click when it should go vroom. :thumb: