PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat real-time

baja1d
05-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Just sprung a leak in the 80's radiator. We're running Spring Creek tomorrow!!! Can I weld this or JB weld? It's the top seam... On my way to work!

J Kimmel
05-18-2012, 08:20 AM
fwiw, once I got a pinhole in the top of mine, and after it cooled I put red RTV on it as a temporary fix, and it still held three years later when i finally put a new one in...

last spring in Montrose, we backflipped a TJ, and a couple of egg whites and pepper in the radiator with it warm and circulating stopped up the leaks, he wheeled the rest of the weekend.

or you could do like I did for the last year, just add water when the temp rises :)
(yes I fixed it finally :) )

Air Randy
05-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Hard to tell from the picture but if it is just the top seam of the radiator tank, it should be very easy to solder it (not weld it).

You need a propane torch (like the small bottles they sell at Home Depot) with a flame spreader tip. You will also need a good stiff wire brush, soldering flux in paste form and a roll of solder. If you can get it, silver solder works best but acid core (used for soldering copper pipe) will work too.

Drain enough water out of the radiator to get the level well below the crack. Heat the area of the crack and a couple inches to each side. You will know its hot enough if you touch the solder to the radiator and it melts instantly. When it is hot enough brush on the flux where you want the solder to stick and stick the solder on the radiator. As it melts it should flow into the area of the crack and fill it in. Once you have a good solder bead let it cool. If you did it right your leak should be fixed.

wesintl
05-18-2012, 08:36 AM
it's plastic. that's why most people get the earlier 80's brass tanks when they replace them.

waggoner5
05-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Scuff it and JB weld.

baja1d
05-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Thanks fellas. It was plastic & a little JB Weld took care of it. Great tip from Randy, gotta remember that for the 40!

SteveH
05-18-2012, 11:05 AM
I might buy the $1.29 container of powdered aluminum radiator sealant sprinkles (sold at most auto parts stores) as a backup. That stuff is magic, and unlike Bars Leaks, it won't soften all the rubber parts in your cooling system. I have used in sparingly in beater cars over the years, and it is cheap, easy to carry, and works well.