PDA

View Full Version : vehicle registration

smslavin
05-21-2012, 12:15 PM
well, i think i've put this off as long as possible. quick question though as i was just reading through the air care colorado website.

Front wheel and all wheel drive vehicles with low profile tire sizes 17 inches or larger in diameter, or vehicles with tire sizes larger than 34 inches cannot be safely tested on the dynamometer.

Only vehicles with manufacturer-equipped undersized or oversized tires that do not fit safely on the dynamometer will be authorized by the state to undergo an idle test instead of a dynamometer test. Vehicles with tires larger or smaller than original equipment that do not fit safely on the dynamometer must be returned to stock condition for testing. Vehicles with non-original undersized or oversized tires will not receive authorization from the state for an idle test.

not sure if i'm going to have an issue with that or not. the fj has 295 75 17 which, i believe, works out to just a smidge below 34" overall. will i need to find someone to loan me some stock wheels for a day?

nakman
05-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah, they have a yardstick there that they should use to measure, at least push for that if someone reads the sidewall and wants to turn you away. But if they reject you, then yup you gotta borrow some rims/tires from someone.

rover67
05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
I personally think you'll be fine. I have been able to get my 60 tested with the 35's on it since they measure just under.

smslavin
05-21-2012, 02:37 PM
coolest. thanks. i'll be running over there later this week. if you get rejected from one test station, are you rejected from all of them? not used to this format. smog stations were all over in socal and it was just an idle test, no dyno.

Red_Chili
05-21-2012, 02:55 PM
I personally think you'll be fine. I have been able to get my 60 tested with the 35's on it since they measure just under.
Mine do too... and I've not been successful.

rover67
05-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Mine do too... and I've not been successful.

you are obviously not as good looking or cool as me then :D

If they tell you you can't test it's as simple as that.. you go get tires and come back. they don't black ball you.

But yeah, the one near us on Teller street is worth trying.

kurtnkegger
05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
What year are you testing? Might be an idle test after all...

smslavin
05-21-2012, 04:45 PM
What year are you testing?

it's an '07.

the one near us on Teller street is worth trying

that's where i was going to go. closest one to the house.